HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 78 of 105 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122706
01/08/10 02:17 AM
01/08/10 02:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, it seems from your comments regarding view God as a danger, that you seriously understood what I had in mind by saying that God protects us from a thousand dangers, all of them unseen. So I thought I'd explain my thought in more detail.

Here's the quote I cited:

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. (GC 36)

Please note that the idea is not that God is protecting the wicked from Himself, but from unseen dangers that come from sin and Satan.

Here's another similar statement:

Quote:
I was shown that the time was in the near future that these whom God had warned and reproved and given great light but they would not correct their ways and follow the light, He would remove from them that heavenly protection which had preserved them from Satan's cruel power; the Lord would surely leave them to themselves to follow the judgment and counsels of their own wisdom; they would be simply left to themselves, and the protection of God be withdrawn from them, and they would not be shielded from the workings of Satan; that none of finite judgment and foresight can have any power to conceive of the care God has exercised through His angels over the children of men in their travels, in their own houses, in their eating and drinking. Wherever they are, His eye is upon them. They are preserved from a thousand dangers, all to them unseen. Satan has laid snares, but the Lord is constantly at work to save His people from them. (14MR 2)

These thousand dangers can include all sorts of things, including natural disasters, car accidents, health problems, all sorts of things. For someone to be destroyed, it's enough for God to permit any of these thousand dangers to occur, all of which are the result of Satan/sin either directly or indirectly.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122707
01/08/10 02:28 AM
01/08/10 02:28 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
If you can read into this that God created the quail, it makes me wonder what other things you might be reading into other portions of Scripture.

Perhaps something like when the Bible said "fire came from God" and destroyed sinners, it really means that fire came from Satan? wink

Maybe GC believes it is against God's character to take these sea-faring quails away from their natural habitat and send them to the Israelites. Hence, he has to come up with a theory that is not explicit in the text.

But one thing GC has going for his theory is that it does not contradict the text. God could have created these quails near the sea and had the wind blow them in. GC doesn't go so far as to say that Satan was the one who sent the quails.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122708
01/08/10 04:00 AM
01/08/10 04:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: asygo
If you can read into this that God created the quail, it makes me wonder what other things you might be reading into other portions of Scripture.

Perhaps something like when the Bible said "fire came from God" and destroyed sinners, it really means that fire came from Satan?

I've never said this. I don't understand why it's apparently so difficult to accurately represent the position of another, especially when so many posts have been written.

Quote:
Maybe GC believes it is against God's character to take these sea-faring quails away from their natural habitat and send them to the Israelites. Hence, he has to come up with a theory that is not explicit in the text.

But one thing GC has going for his theory is that it does not contradict the text. God could have created these quails near the sea and had the wind blow them in. GC doesn't go so far as to say that Satan was the one who sent the quails.

Why not say that God specially created Peter? That doesn't contradict the text, does it? Or God specially created the donkey that Jesus Christ rode into Jerusalem on. There's millions of things one could say that "doesn't contradict the text" as you put it. Using logic like this, we could have the Bible saying anything at all, couldn't we?

Otoh, the Bible says "God killed Saul." It says that God moved David to number Israel. It says that God would destroy Jerusalem (in the parables of the murdered son, and the wedding parable), and so forth. The SOP says:

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.(GC 35)

We see here the principle that the Great Deceiver seeks to conceal his work by making it appear that God is doing what he does. Do you suppose he's not successful with this? For example:

Quote:
Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin.(DA 471)

It's ironic to me that it's being suggested that God is doing the very thing that Satan is trying to get people to think that He does. It seems to me if we're thinking along the lines that Satan is trying to get us to think along, a bit of skepticism that we might be on the wrong track would be called for.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122709
01/08/10 04:16 AM
01/08/10 04:16 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

Perhaps something like when the Bible said "fire came from God" and destroyed sinners, it really means that fire came from Satan? wink

Thanks, Arnold. Actually, Tom has not done the research on this yet. Still waiting for that. As a result, he doubts what I said.

Basically, it's like this: Quail are not sea-faring birds. They do not even occur in large numbers on sea coasts. They do like to be near mountain streams and rivers, but they are rare along the sea. If you do some research, it will bear this up. I'm a birdwatcher. I do not go to the ocean to find quail. A distribution map for the state of Washington, which has many different biomes, listed the quail as being "R" for "rare" along the coast at every time of the year. They were "common" inland.

God provided water from a rock. Water does not usually come out of a rock. God provided quails "from the sea" (and note that it does not say "coast," but even if it did, quails do not live there either), and quails do not usually come from the sea.

Gulls, maybe. Terns, yes. Skuas, pelicans, harlequin ducks, shorebirds like sanderlings, plovers, sandpipers, oystercatchers, turnstones, stilts, etc., yes--but these are ALL unclean birds. In fact, I cannot think of one bird off the top of my head which originates from the "sea" which is clean. The Bible specifies that swans, osprey, pelicans, cormorants, lapwings, eagles, night-hawks, and other such "sea birds" are all unclean. Why shouldn't they be? They eat crabs, shrimp, unclean fish, oysters, clams, and a host of other unclean material.

Moreover, Moses considered food sources from the sea when describing the impossibility of God's promise to provide flesh for all of Israel. Moses specifically asked God, "Shall the flocks and the herds be slain for them, to suffice them? or shall all the fish of the sea be gathered together for them, to suffice them?" If Moses were contemplating every possible food source, going as far away as to the sea itself, would he have missed this incredible abundance of quail floating on lily pads in the sea? smile

I imagine that a certain distance away from the sea may have been a few quail...but we're not talking about a few--we're talking about enough quail to feed 2 million people for an entire month! The quail came in all around the camp, covering the ground to a height of two cubits, or about one meter. If you know about quail, you know they are not large birds. That's an awful lot of them.

Which brings up the next point: Quail don't like to fly. They are ground-dwelling birds. I have never once seen a quail blown in the wind. If it's windy, they take cover under a bush. They hunker down. They won't fly. Yet this wind is blowing a quarter billion of these animals in to the Israelite camp? Wow.

It was a miracle, not a natural event. Guaranteed.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122714
01/08/10 06:05 AM
01/08/10 06:05 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA

Perhaps something like when the Bible said "fire came from God" and destroyed sinners, it really means that fire came from Satan?

I've never said this. I don't understand why it's apparently so difficult to accurately represent the position of another, especially when so many posts have been written.

Do you believe that the fire that burned Nadab and Abihu was from God? I thought you did not. I haven't been able to follow everything, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:

Why not say that God specially created Peter? That doesn't contradict the text, does it? Or God specially created the donkey that Jesus Christ rode into Jerusalem on. There's millions of things one could say that "doesn't contradict the text" as you put it. Using logic like this, we could have the Bible saying anything at all, couldn't we?

If that's all you're going by, yes, we can invent all sorts of things. But having read GC's stuff, I didn't think he would base a theory on such a flimsy foundation. And as we see in his post, he seems to know a thing or two about quails.

But this highlights one of my bigger concerns about your hermeneutic: You reject things based on what you do not know. You took my one point, which is true BTW, and built a straw-man edifice which you heroically destroyed. You did not consider that there could be other factors involved, which could bolster GC's hypothesis. Instead, you took the one point, acted as if that was the ONLY point, and somehow thought that belittling the point, which is true BTW, helps your case. Rejecting truth, no matter how small, will lead to no good.

Why would you do that? Because his statement made no sense to you. Considering the GC is a mere man, there's really no grave danger in rejecting what he says if it doesn't make sense to you. But the really bad thing is that you do the same to God's words. You see statements from God - in the Bible/SOP - and see fit to reject those that don't make sense to you. That is grave danger you are walking in.

In this, you are guilty of what you berated above: Unwarranted universal application of a correct principle. You cite Saul, David, and others as evidence that God is sometimes spoken of doing that which He allows. While that is true, we have no license to apply it whenever it makes sense to us.

You can find inspired commentary that illuminates Saul and David, where there is evidence that this principle is in play. But you apply the principle in places where there is no inspired commentary saying that you should. For example, the Bible/SOP are consistent that God destroys the wicked. Yet, you say that God does not destroy.

Do not make a world of an atom.

Otoh, the Bible says "God killed Saul." It says that God moved David to number Israel. It says that God would destroy Jerusalem (in the parables of the murdered son, and the wedding parable), and so forth. The SOP says:

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.(GC 35)

We see here the principle that the Great Deceiver seeks to conceal his work by making it appear that God is doing what he does. Do you suppose he's not successful with this? For example:

Quote:
Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin.(DA 471)

It's ironic to me that it's being suggested that God is doing the very thing that Satan is trying to get people to think that He does.

Yes, Satan fools us into thinking that God does some of the things he is responsible for. But he also tries to go the other way and fool us into thinking he is responsible for what God does. Look at the passage below, and you'll see that we are willing to fall for that trick, too.

Quote:
But the judgments were not ended. Fire flashing from the cloud consumed the two hundred and fifty princes who had offered incense. ... {PP 401.1}

... Overwhelming evidence had been given that they were wrong, and that Moses was right. The signal manifestation of God's power had removed all uncertainty. {PP 401.2}

Korah would not have taken the course he did had he known that all the directions and reproofs communicated to Israel were from God. But he might have known this. God had given overwhelming evidence that He was leading Israel. But Korah and his companions rejected light until they became so blinded that the most striking manifestations of His power were not sufficient to convince them; they attributed them all to human or satanic agency. The same thing was done by the people, who the day after the destruction of Korah and his company came to Moses and Aaron, saying, "Ye have killed the people of the Lord." Notwithstanding they had had the most convincing evidence of God's displeasure at their course, in the destruction of the men who had deceived them, they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan, declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men. It was this act that sealed their doom. They had committed the sin against the Holy Spirit, a sin by which man's heart is effectually hardened against the influence of divine grace. "Whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man," said Christ, "it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him." Matthew 12:32. These words were spoken by our Saviour when the gracious works which He had performed through the power of God were attributed by the Jews to Beelzebub. It is through the agency of the Holy Spirit that God communicates with man; and those who deliberately reject this agency as satanic, have cut off the channel of communication between the soul and Heaven. {PP 404.4}

Do you realize what the rebels did? They pointed to God's destruction of rebels, and "attributed them all to human or satanic agency." You have some truth, but you belittle or reject the fact that God destroys when He sees fit.

It seems to me if we're thinking along the lines that Satan is trying to get us to think along, a bit of skepticism that we might be on the wrong track would be called for.

So true.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122716
01/08/10 07:01 AM
01/08/10 07:01 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

Ok, Tom, I have taken up your challenge. It is clear after having done the research on your past statements why you prefer to say nothing more about it. But let these statements speak for themselves (in no particular order, and from multiple threads):

R:No, it's not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. But the action of the glory or holiness of God on the body of the sinner seems to be like literal fire:

[:"blue"]Evidently that's the case. We see Christ saying, "My heart melts like wax." (Ps. 22:14).

There is something about sin which causes one to view God in a way that is very painful. We see this over and over again in Scripture. The moneychangers ran away as fast as they could (although the chlidren weren't scared). Those who reject Christ cry for the mountains to fall on their head; they prefer that to seeing their redeemer.

The whole problem is sin.

For example, "The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked." The interesting thing about this is that the same thing which gives life to the righteous is what slays the wicked.[/]

If Nadab and Abihu were playing with fire while intoxicated, it seems to me that may have had something to do with their demise. Often the OT ascribes to God not that which He does, but that which He permits. For example, "God killed Saul," when in reality Saul committed suicide.

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
If Nadab and Abihu were playing with fire while intoxicated, it seems to me that may have had something to do with their demise.

This is out of question, since the biblical account makes a sharp distinction between the strange fire and the sacred fire, the fire they brought and the fire kindled by the Lord. If the biblical account says fire from the Lord consumed them, it can’t refer to the fire they themselves had brought.

Very appropriate response, Rosangela! God did indeed make a very clear distinction between the two kinds of fire, and if it was so important to God as to be a life-and-death matter for Nadab and Abihu, it would certainly be unlike God to declare the fire which killed them proceeded from God when it did not, and was but the common fire!

Regarding Nadab and Abihu I did write that I thought it was likely that the fire being referred to was literal fire, and not symbolic.

Quote:
Does this apply to the fire that killed Nadab and Abihu?

Yes. (that God is credited for that which He permits)

Quote:
Did God step aside and allow evil angels to kill them with fire?

I think their death was most likely self-inflicted.

Quote:
If so, when did Jesus demonstrate this aspect of God's character?

NA

Quote:
That is, when did He step aside and allow evils to kill sinners with fire?

We already discussed this at length.

Quote:
If God did indeed use literal fire to punish and destroy Nadab and Abihu, when did Jesus demonstrate this attribute of God's character?

This isn't an attribute of God's character. That's exactly the point. That Jesus never demonstrated this is proof that this is not an attribute of God's character. That's the point I've been making.

If we want to know what God is like, all we need do is simply note what Jesus did. That's what God is like. We should allow the clear revelation of Jesus Christ to correct our dull misunderstandings of the OT God.

Quote:
When did Jesus punish and destroy sinners with literal fire while here in the flesh?

Same point. He didn't, which demonstrates that God doesn't. When He was asked to He said, "You know not of what spirit you are" and He was right. We are of the spirit of Satan, but don't even know it, attributing to God that which Satan does, which is just what he wants.

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. (GC 35)

Ok. Well, Tom, I want some answers here.

A. GOD'S ATTRIBUTES
1) Do you believe that God lies?
2) Do you believe that Moses lied to us in what he wrote?
3) Do you believe that God told us He is a "consuming fire"?
4) Do you believe it was God who appeared as fire at Pentecost?
5) Is fire really, truly, NOT an attribute of God?

B. CAUSE OF NADAB AND ABIHU'S DEMISE
1. Do you still believe literal fire killed Nadab and Abihu?
2. Do you still believe it was the common fire from their censers by which they "committed suicide?"
3. Do you truly reject God's Word which says He kindled the flame from His Presence?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Last edited by Green Cochoa; 01/08/10 07:06 AM.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #122718
01/08/10 07:44 AM
01/08/10 07:44 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.(DA 108)

The glory of God is His character. The light of that glory, fire if you will, gives life to the righteous but slays the wicked.

Tom,

You are so smooth in your words as to always have an answer which, for the time, relieves you of giving a more direct response. But over time, your posts add up to a certain level of confusion. This is why people like Mike and me still have trouble knowing where you stand.

Notice how in the above quote, you say that you believe fire is a part of God's glory and character. Therefore, you have expressed that fire is an attribute of God. But look what you say in this next quote:

1.Jesus revealed everything we need to know, or can know, about God.
2.Jesus did not kill anyone with literal fire, and, furthermore, when urged to do so responded that this was in harmony with the character of the evil one, not with God's character.
3.Therefore the idea that God kills people with literal fire is suspect.

We differ as to what the bottom line is. I believe the bottom line is that when we've seen Jesus, we've seen the Father. IOW, God the Father is like Jesus Christ. Since Jesus did not reveal a God who kills people with literal fire, and, indeed, taught the opposite, we can safely conclude that God is not like that.

Whereas before, you stated agreement with Ellen White in that God will impart life and death through the same fire of His glory, you now deny it with great persuasion and logic.

A house divided against itself cannot stand. And by the way, those two quotes came from two consecutive posts of yours in the same thread on the same day.

Selah.

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #122719
01/08/10 10:59 AM
01/08/10 10:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
31-35. There went forth a wind from the Lord, and brought quails from the sea, &c.-These migratory birds (see on [76]Ex 16:13) were on their journey from Egypt, when "the wind from the Lord," an east wind (Ps 78:26) forcing them to change their course, wafted them over the Red Sea to the camp of Israel.

let them fall a day's journey-If the journey of an individual is meant, this space might be thirty miles; if the inspired historian referred to the whole host, ten miles would be as far as they could march in one day in the sandy desert under a vertical sun. Assuming it to be twenty miles this immense cloud of quails (Ps 78:27) covered a space of forty miles in diameter. Others reduce it to sixteen. But it is doubtful whether the measurement be from the center or the extremities of the camp. It is evident, however, that the language describes the countless number of these quails.

as it were two cubits high-Some have supposed that they fell on the ground above each other to that height-a supposition which would leave a vast quantity useless as food to the Israelites, who were forbidden to eat any animal that died of itself or from which the blood was not poured out. Others think that, being exhausted with a long flight, they could not fly more than three feet above the earth, and so were easily felled or caught. A more recent explanation applies the phrase, "two cubits high," not to the accumulation of the mass, but to the size of the individual birds. Flocks of large red-legged cranes, three feet high, measuring seven feet from tip to tip, have been frequently seen on the western shores of the Gulf of Akaba, or eastern arm of the Red Sea [Stanley; Shubert].(Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary)

I'm sure there are other possible explanations which do not require the creation of quail. Again, the question suggests itself, that GC himself raised, if the quail were created by God, why would the people get sick from eating it?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122720
01/08/10 11:10 AM
01/08/10 11:10 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
But this highlights one of my bigger concerns about your hermeneutic: You reject things based on what you do not know.

This is a baseless accusation. Of everyone who posts regularly on this forum, my viewpoints have been the most open to change, at least based on the evidence of those posting. To state this another way, my viewpoints have changed the most over the 5 or 6 years compared to other people who have been posting here. I wouldn't have changed my positions had I did as you are suggesting, rejecting things based on what I did not know. If I did as you are suggesting, I'd have simply kept the viewpoints I had.

The following comes to mind:

Quote:
God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense.(3SM 217)

I'll admit to rejecting things on this basis.

Common sense dictates that if Scripture says, "And there went forth a wind from the LORD, and brought quails from the sea" that the likely explanation is that the quails already existed.

I think I'd be more concerned about a hermeneutic that freely allows fanciful interpretations such as this (i.e., the idea that God created quails). Is there any Commentary that suggests this? No, I'm not saying we should base our interpretations purely or even primarily on the basis of what Commentaries say, but this isn't a moral issue, such as observing the Sabbath, that would warrant a bias on the part of Commentaries. If there were something to GC's argument, I'd expect some Commentary to bring up the same points. It doesn't look like GC's theory is based on anything that isn't common knowledge.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122721
01/08/10 11:23 AM
01/08/10 11:23 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You can find inspired commentary that illuminates Saul and David, where there is evidence that this principle is in play. But you apply the principle in places where there is no inspired commentary saying that you should. For example, the Bible/SOP are consistent that God destroys the wicked. Yet, you say that God does not destroy.

I don't understand how this topic migrated here. I'll make a few comment, but if you want to discuss this in more detail, please start a topic. This topic is regarding the suffering of the lost in the second resurrection.

Briefly, when one speaks of God's destroying the wicked, the question is, how does God destroy? There must be some way of reconciling statements speaking of God's destroying and those which say that Satan is the destroyer. There must be some difference in how Satan destroys and how God destroys, or else we wouldn't be told that Satan, not God, is the destroyer.

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of.(14MR 3)

This speaks of God's destroying, but in such a way that it's readily seen how this reconciles with statements saying "God destroys no man" and "Satan is the destroyer. The Lord is the restorer."

God destroys by permitting destruction to occur. There are a thousand dangers, all unseen, from which God protects us.

Quote:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest.(GC 36)

This also explains the principle.

There are a number of problems with the idea that God is the One actively doing the destruction.

1.This is just what Satan does.
2.This is what Satan seeks to present God as doing, when it is actually he who is doing this.
3.To act so is contrary to God's character, as evidenced by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
4.Force and compelling power are not to be found in God's government, but only in the government of the enemy.
5.Destruction was invented by Satan. It is the fruit of sin. God would be implementing the tools of the enemy were He to do so.
6.It is completely unnecessary for God to take destruction into His own hands because He is protecting us from a thousand dangers, which are able to do the destruction themselves.

Page 78 of 105 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!