HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 82 of 105 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122907
01/14/10 02:13 PM
01/14/10 02:13 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: kland
What if we were to kill people? What if it were for good reasons?
What if it were to punish heretics and infidels, to make them an example so that others won't be lost?

Would that be wrong?

Would we be God or people?

If we were God, we would know who should or should not be killed, and why, and when, and how, and do it right. We could even cause people untold mental anguish, cause suffering worse than physical fire, and do it for days on end before they finally die, and still be right. Even Ty and Tom believe that.

But if we were people? Yes, it would be wrong. We would be doing what Satan wanted to do: be like the Most High. We need to understand that we are not God, and as creatures, even creatures made in the image of God, we don't have all the prerogatives of divinity. But I know that not everyone agrees with that view.

So would you say we should not strive to be like God? And likewise, if Christ is the God of the Old Testament and came to represent the character of God,
then we should not strive to be like Christ?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #122912
01/14/10 04:39 PM
01/14/10 04:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If we were God, we would know who should or should not be killed, and why, and when, and how, and do it right. We could even cause people untold mental anguish, cause suffering worse than physical fire, and do it for days on end before they finally die, and still be right. Even Ty and Tom believe that.

I don't. I'm pretty sure Ty would have the same objection I have.

I don't believe God causes people untold mental anguish, or causes them suffering worse than physical fire, not even for a moment, let alone days. I believe that sin causes this suffering, as well as the mental anguish.

Here's what I think, and understanding the principles should help understand in general what I think, in applying the principles to other situations.

The inevitable result of sin is misery, suffering (including mental anguish) and death. God knows this, of course, and loving His creatures, He does all He can to rescue them from the effects of sin. He has an antidote. He offers it again and again to people, but if they refuse it, they will eventually suffer the consequences of their own choice.

Rather than causing the unfortunate effects of sin during the judgment, God permits them to happen. If God had left Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished immediately, but God did not permit that, and does not permit that, until the judgment.

God is not responsible for either the suffering or the death of the lost. The Great Controversy is about establishing God's innocence in regards to the accusations of Satan against Him, which include who is responsible for sin and its results.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #122913
01/14/10 04:48 PM
01/14/10 04:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Separating oneself from the source of life is a figure of speech.
The Bible and the SOP make it clear fire will be involved inn the punishment and death of the wicked. You seem to believe the fire that punishes them is symbolic and spiritual in nature,

Do you think the Bible and Ellen White may use figure of speeches?

Without a doubt. Now, a question for you. Do you think they use literal language? Can you cite passages where they refer to fire in the literal sense? For example, did literal fire proceed from the presence of God and consume Nadab and Abihu.

PS - No need to start a new thread as fire is an integral part of judgment and suffering.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122914
01/14/10 04:58 PM
01/14/10 04:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Exactly(that this is just a play on words). And it is a game of words you are playing.

No, I'm not. I'm discussing things in terms of the principles involved. The principle is that force is not a principle of God's government. His principles are not of this order. The context makes clear how the author was using the word "force."

Quote:
Unfortunately, your game may have eternally negative consequences.

It's not a game, Arnold. The principles we hold to, and the views we have of God's character, of course have eternal consequences. Whether the principles I'm suggesting have negative consequences, or whether yours does (or both of us) depends upon the truth regarding God's character. If God is really more like as you picture him to be, than how I picture Him to be, then you're correct.

My understanding of God is far less authoritarian than yours. Your idea is that we are to do what God says, because He says so, and God does not require (or even desire, perhaps(?)) that we understand why. We should just do, because He's God, and God is in a position of authority over us.

I believe this is an accurate representation of your thoughts here.

I believe that God is not authoritarian, but rather wise and loving, and desires obedience on the basis of our appreciating His character, as opposed to based on His position of authority. I believe He never asks us to do something, involving moral decisions, without giving us evidence upon which to base our decision. I believe that God always wants our obedience to be a thoughtful, well-reasoned obedience, and never wants obedience simply on a rote basis, and would question whether God would even consider this to be obedience at all.

The real issue involved in our disagreement is what God is like.

Quote:
Just look at this short exchange, which illustrates your penchant for word games:
T: 5.Destruction was invented by Satan. It is the fruit of sin. God would be implementing the tools of the enemy were He to do so.
A: 5. The earth will be destroyed by fire and made new. Satan is responsible for this destruction? I don't think so. It is more accurate to say that Satan was the first to make himself subject to destruction.
T: Yes, Satan is responsible for the destruction of the earth. The destruction of the earth became inevitable once sin entered in, and Satan is the author of sin and all its results. As the author, Satan is responsible.

You were talking about destruction as a tool. Then, when I pointed out that God does indeed use that tool (since Satan obviously can't be using that tool to destroy the earth after he has been destroyed himself), you pull the old switcheroo. To continue your defense, you switch from the context of "responsible" as one who implements the tool of destruction, to "responsible" as one who is culpable for the condition that will be destroyed.

There's no swicheroo. Since since came into being, it's had devastating effects, which always tends to destruction, as the 2nd law of thermodynamics illustrates. It's necessary for God to exert His influence to maintain things. The SOP tells us that even for the earth to stay in its orbit, God's influence is necessary. We don't half understand the negative impact of sin. When God finally let's go, then all hell breaks lose, so to speak.

I've been saying this all along.

Now if God were to actively cause destruction, like Satan does when God permits him to, then God would be using the tools of the enemy.

Quote:
Is it that hard to say, "Yes, God will destroy the earth to make it new" rather than continuing to hold an indefensible position at all costs? Satan will be dead, so God will do the destroying. It is very simple; we just have to be willing to admit that we might not be correct on everything.

It's not hard to say, of course, but I don't believe what you're saying here is the case. I believe what I wrote is the case.

Quote:
Anyway, I tried to make the "force" illustration above really clear and obvious, but you are still unable to help clear things up. Rather than answering in a transparent manner, you choose to give a non-answer. Yes, it is undeniable that you have written volumes, but your positions have not been transparent.

I've explained several principles in a detailed fashion, and I think clear way, in this post. I hope this will help.

Quote:
If, rather than giving a useless non-answer, you had given a straightforward answer to my straightforward question, your reply would have looked something like this: I disagree because the "force" you are talking about is not the "force" EGW was talking about when she said God does not use force. Had you done that, you might have gotten a better grasp of why I reject your universal application of that quote. But it would not bode well for your position if you allowed for the possibility of God using force.

I think it would be better that you just make whatever point you wish to make. I'm particularly interested in the principles you see are driving things. I think that's the best way to approach the discussion.

Quote:
In case I haven't been transparent enough, the crux of my rejection of your universal application of the principle that "God doesn't use force" is that "force" does not have a universal meaning.

I was using "force" in the context of the quotes I've cited in regards to my assertion, which are DA 22 and DA 759. Of course "force" doesn't have a universal meaning, and I was neither suggesting nor implying such. The context of my comments was clear.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122915
01/14/10 05:16 PM
01/14/10 05:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:I don't see what these things have to do with the topic at hand, which was in regards to God's setting people on fire in order to punish them for hours or days at a time during the second resurrection.

a:The reasoning you use to deny that God killed people (directly or indirectly) is the same you use to deny that God will cause people to burn in the end.

It's not necessary to believe that God does not kill to have the same picture of the judgment that I hold. For example, Ty Gibson's perspective on the judgment is, as far as I can tell, the same as mine, but he doesn't hold to the same views on the question of God's killing that I do.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122916
01/14/10 05:22 PM
01/14/10 05:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
PS - No need to start a new thread as fire is an integral part of judgment and suffering.

So let's talk about anything involving fire? It's not necessary to discuss N & A to discuss the fire involved in the judgment. Unless your idea is that the latter cannot be understood without understanding the former.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122917
01/14/10 05:57 PM
01/14/10 05:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Here's what you are saying: “Separating oneself from the source of life is a figure of speech. The wicked will not pull the plug. God is the one who pulls the plug, and He will do so in a manner that will result in them suffering and dying according to their sinfulness.”

Here's what DA 764 says: “This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.” It's hard for me to see how you could have written something more contrary to what she's saying.

Why and how do you think the wicked will cut themselves off? And, what will be the immediate result? Will they gradually die? If so, what will be their source of life while they are gradually dying? If you say, God is the only source of life, then please explain why and how they will continue to live after cutting themselves off.

You’ve been asked these questions before, and, to the best of my knowledge, you’ve dodged them in your classic manner, that is, you found fault with the questions or you redirected the topic or you quoted the SOP assuming it’s obvious to the average person that it supports your point of view. So please, Tom, answer the questions in a way less than average people know exactly what you believe. Make no assumptions.

Quote:
T: The role of God's character is explained in DA 108 (as well as mentioned in DA 764, although there's more detail in DA 108).

M: What do you think Ellen is saying? Do you think she is saying comprehending the contrast between their character and God’s is what will cause the wicked to suffer according to their sinfulness? And, how and why do you think they will die? Do you believe sin will kill them? If so, how and why? Will they die of heart failure, cancer, H1N1, or something else? How would a coroner describe the cause of death?

T: She says: “The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. . . In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence.” So the problem is their sin. When the character of God is revealed, it manifests sin. That's (that there is sin to be manifest) the problem.

But how will they become conscious of God’s character and their sins? Will they look at Him and simply know? And, why and how will it cause them to suffer emotional agony more intense than being burned alive? Why won’t it kill them instantly? Why and how will some suffer for days? What will be their source of life while they are gradually dying?

Quote:
M: You can eliminate the confusion by simply answering yes or no to the questions. Here they are again: “Do you think God withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy people like Nadab and Abihu, the inhabitants of S&G, and Lot's wife? Likewise, do you think God will allow resurrected sinners to be destroyed in a similar manner?”

T: I don't understand why you think there's any confusion regarding S&G. I wrote what I think on this very thread. Could you please look at what I wrote regarding Sodom and Gomorrah? If you see something that's not clear, please quote it, and comment.

I did read what you wrote on this thread. That’s why I’m asking for clarification. Why are you unwilling to answer my questions? Do you think people were burned alive when God withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to kill them? Again, I assume your answer is, Yes, but please confirm my assumptions by saying so.

Quote:
M: I assume your answers are a resounding YES!!! But I need to hear it from you. If not, then you owe it to the rest of us to clearly explain what you believe. Simply citing SOP passages as if they clearly articulate your view isn’t sufficient. You must state in the plainest of words precisely what you believe how and why the wicked will suffer and how and why they will die. So far you have been vague and less than forthcoming. Please, Tom, it’s time to plainly state your position.

T: You say it's time for me to plainly state my position as if I haven't done so. I've written many, many pages regarding this. Also, as I've pointed out, you haven't shown any interest in studying this subject as I've suggested it should be studied, whereas I've spent dozens, if not hundreds of hours studying this subject as you have wished. It hardly seems fair to me for you to be reprimanding me in any way. Why not do what I want to do?

I have not divorced the character of God, as revealed in the life and death of Jesus, during this discussion. You have made it clear that God permits death and destruction by withdrawing His protection. I am simply asking for confirmation you believe this is what happened in the specific cases named above. So far you have refused to do so. Why?

Quote:
T: Again, regarding N & A, please start a thread on this if you wish to discuss it. I'm interested in kland's thoughts. If he wishes to discuss this, I'll likely join in. I don't see what it has to do with the subject matter of this thread, which is if the wicked suffer because God sets them on fire for hours or days in the final judgment.

Both Jesus and NT authors cite S&G as examples of how the wicked will suffer and die during the final judgment. N&A were consumed by fire which proceeded from the presence of God. During the final judgment the Bible and SOP both say God will rain down fire from heaven which will consume the wicked. Studying cases like N&A, the 250 Korah sympathizers, the bands of 50 soldiers, etc, all of whom died when fire from God rained down upon them. So, as you can see, it is very applicable. Indeed, we would be negligent if we ignored them here. Due diligence demands it.

Quote:
T: I've also asked repeatedly what these subjects have to do with anything. What I've been arguing against is the idea that God sets people on fire in order to make them suffer in the second resurrection, regarding which you agree with me.

M: I’m not entirely sure God will not employ literal fire, in addition to the radiant firelight of His person and presence, to punish and destroy the wicked.

T: A little while ago you were saying you didn't think God would set people on fire. You've changed your mind?

True, I doubt it will happen, but there is evidence to suggest it will. I don’t know. God can do things in the name of justice we think strange and have no right to do.

Quote:
M: In the same way you are forced to believe God will keep the wicked alive supernaturally so that they can suffer spiritually according to their sinfulness without dying prematurely . . .

T: I don't agree with this statement. DA 764 says that Satan and his followers will perish when God leaves him to suffer the full result of sin, and that God will not leave the lost to so suffer until it's time for them to die, which will be when they voluntarily choose to do so.

You’re not addressing the point, which is, why and how do you think they will be able to die gradually instead of dying immediately? What will be their source of life while they are dying gradually? You keep refusing to answer this question. Why?

Quote:
M: . . . so too, I suspect God will do something similar so that they can suffer emotionally and physically as He permits both types of fire to do their work.

T: I think this is an awful idea. It reminds me of this: “It is urged that the infliction of endless misery upon the wicked would show God's hatred of sin as an evil which is ruinous to the peace and order of the universe. Oh, dreadful blasphemy! As if God's hatred of sin is the reason why it is perpetuated.” (GC 536)

In the context of your statement, "As if God wants the wicked to suffer emotionally and physically, and causes this to happen." A thousand times no! God does NOT want the wicked to suffer. They suffer *contrary to His wishes*. And God does nothing at all to cause them to suffer, but everything possible to remove their suffering. They only suffer because they refuse to do God's will, which would result in the removal of their suffering, but insist on doing their own will, of which the inevitable result is suffering and death.

It sounds like you’re saying God will offer to save resurrected sinners during the final judgment, that they will be able to avoid suffering and death by accepting the gift of forgiveness and eternal life. But I happen to know this isn’t what you believe. However, your observations assume the wicked want God to resurrect them, that they want to comprehend the contrast between their character and His, that they want to suffer as a result. Do you believe they will volunteer? If so, why?

By the way, you still haven’t explained why and how you think they will die? Do you believe sin will kill them? If so, how and why? Will they die of heart failure, cancer, H1N1, or something else? How would a coroner describe the cause of death? You avoided answering this question above, so I am reposting it here for your convenience. Please answer it. Thank you.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122918
01/14/10 06:13 PM
01/14/10 06:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, as you can see from Arnold's response, there is a general impression you are not being transparent. You are an extremely intelligent person, and your ideas and insights are important to me. However, there are times when you are less than transparent, when you are too vague to understand. What can you do to avoid giving this impression?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #122923
01/14/10 09:44 PM
01/14/10 09:44 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
What if we were to kill people? What if it were for good reasons?
What if it were to punish heretics and infidels, to make them an example so that others won't be lost?

Would that be wrong?

Would we be God or people?

But if we were people? Yes, it would be wrong. We would be doing what Satan wanted to do: be like the Most High. We need to understand that we are not God, and as creatures, even creatures made in the image of God, we don't have all the prerogatives of divinity. But I know that not everyone agrees with that view.

So would you say we should not strive to be like God? And likewise, if Christ is the God of the Old Testament and came to represent the character of God,
then we should not strive to be like Christ?

No, I would not say that. I would say that we should strive to be like God in character, but not in authority. Satan wanted to be like God in authority, but not in character.

Sorry I confused you there. I thought we had passed the milk and had moved on to meat. But it's OK to back up now and then to clear up confusion.

(Side note: See how I answered the question in a transparent manner? I didn't say, "You should know the answer to that" or "My posts should have made it clear by now" or anything like that. Simple question, simple answer, confusion is clarified immediately.)

So, we are to be like God in many things, but not in everything. What you suggest - sinful man wielding the authority to take the life of his brother - is reserved only for Him who gives life. If you are expecting to be like God in that aspect, get ready to be disappointed. (But the rest of the universe will be quite relieved that such authority is not given to finite beings.)

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122924
01/15/10 02:00 AM
01/15/10 02:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, as you can see from Arnold's response, there is a general impression you are not being transparent. You are an extremely intelligent person, and your ideas and insights are important to me. However, there are times when you are less than transparent, when you are too vague to understand. What can you do to avoid giving this impression?

Perhaps it's not me. I've posted on many forums, which have many more participants than here, and have not received any comments of not being transparent or vague.

I've written out a number of principles. Perhaps you could consider those. I believe the best way of working out theology is on the basis of considering the underlying principles involved.

Page 82 of 105 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!