HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 83 of 105 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122925
01/15/10 03:34 AM
01/15/10 03:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
a:Here's what you are saying: “Separating oneself from the source of life is a figure of speech. The wicked will not pull the plug. God is the one who pulls the plug, and He will do so in a manner that will result in them suffering and dying according to their sinfulness.”

T:Here's what DA 764 says: “This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.” It's hard for me to see how you could have written something more contrary to what she's saying.

M:Why and how do you think the wicked will cut themselves off?

Why is because they prefer death to living with God. How is by choosing death over God. DA 764 says this, right after what I quoted. "They that hate me love (choose) death" (love here has to do with preference, as when Christ said spoke who didn't hate their parents).

Quote:
And, what will be the immediate result? Will they gradually die? If so, what will be their source of life while they are gradually dying? If you say, God is the only source of life, then please explain why and how they will continue to live after cutting themselves off.

I didn't say God was their only source of life. I quoted from DA 764. Do you doubt this is true? Let's start here.

Quote:
You’ve been asked these questions before, and, to the best of my knowledge, you’ve dodged them in your classic manner, that is, you found fault with the questions or you redirected the topic or you quoted the SOP assuming it’s obvious to the average person that it supports your point of view. So please, Tom, answer the questions in a way less than average people know exactly what you believe. Make no assumptions.

DA 764 says that had God left Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished. Where there is sin, the inevitable result is misery, suffering and death. The wicked choose to cling to sin. In so doing they are choosing the misery, suffering and death which come with it.

This shouldn't be difficult to fathom, because sin is based on the principle of self. If one puts self first, these are the things which follow that choice.

Quote:
T: She says: “The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. . . In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence.” So the problem is their sin. When the character of God is revealed, it manifests sin. That's (that there is sin to be manifest) the problem.

MM:But how will they become conscious of God’s character and their sins?

God reveals the truth to them in the judgment.

Quote:
Will they look at Him and simply know?

No, it's not a physical thing.

Quote:
And, why and how will it cause them to suffer emotional agony more intense than being burned alive?

Just to be clear, I didn't say this. Ty said this. I quoted Kevin, who gave a nice explanation of why. Did you read Kevin's post?

Quote:
Why won’t it kill them instantly?

Why should it?

Quote:
Why and how will some suffer for days?

Because that's how long the judgment process takes for them. The more sin in their lives, the more light refused, the more there is to consider.

Quote:
What will be their source of life while they are gradually dying?

I can only think of one possibility. What possibilities can you think of? (Consider the DA 764 quote, cited above. It speaks about the source of life).

Quote:
T: I don't understand why you think there's any confusion regarding S&G. I wrote what I think on this very thread. Could you please look at what I wrote regarding Sodom and Gomorrah? If you see something that's not clear, please quote it, and comment.

M:I did read what you wrote on this thread. That’s why I’m asking for clarification.

Please quote what you found unclear.

Quote:
Why are you unwilling to answer my questions?

I'm much more tired than unwilling.

Quote:
Do you think people were burned alive when God withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to kill them? Again, I assume your answer is, Yes, but please confirm my assumptions by saying so.

Here's the principle I've said I think applies:

Quote:
The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.

I think this principle applied, and that a natural disaster of some sort was involved, which God permitted to occur, for the reasons explained here.

Quote:
T: You say it's time for me to plainly state my position as if I haven't done so. I've written many, many pages regarding this. Also, as I've pointed out, you haven't shown any interest in studying this subject as I've suggested it should be studied, whereas I've spent dozens, if not hundreds of hours studying this subject as you have wished. It hardly seems fair to me for you to be reprimanding me in any way. Why not do what I want to do?

M:I have not divorced the character of God, as revealed in the life and death of Jesus, during this discussion.

What I've suggested is, before getting into these questions of God's killing, that it would be better to study God's character, in the light of what Jesus revealed. I think this would be *much* more fruitful than simply asking the same dozens of questions over and over and over again.

Why not consider the underlying principles that are involved, figure out what those are, and then, after that's been considered, look at individual cases?

Quote:
You have made it clear that God permits death and destruction by withdrawing His protection. I am simply asking for confirmation you believe this is what happened in the specific cases named above. So far you have refused to do so. Why?

I think the GC 36 principle always applies. I've said this, many times. This should have answered your question.

Quote:
T: Again, regarding N & A, please start a thread on this if you wish to discuss it. I'm interested in kland's thoughts. If he wishes to discuss this, I'll likely join in. I don't see what it has to do with the subject matter of this thread, which is if the wicked suffer because God sets them on fire for hours or days in the final judgment.

MM:Both Jesus and NT authors cite S&G as examples of how the wicked will suffer and die during the final judgment. N&A were consumed by fire which proceeded from the presence of God. During the final judgment the Bible and SOP both say God will rain down fire from heaven which will consume the wicked. Studying cases like N&A, the 250 Korah sympathizers, the bands of 50 soldiers, etc, all of whom died when fire from God rained down upon them. So, as you can see, it is very applicable. Indeed, we would be negligent if we ignored them here. Due diligence demands it.

I disagree. Ty Gibson, and many others, have the same view as I do regarding the final judgment, although they see these other events differently than I do. So it's not necessary to have the same ideas on the events you mentioned to have the same ideas on the other.

Quote:
T: A little while ago you were saying you didn't think God would set people on fire. You've changed your mind?

MM:True, I doubt it will happen, but there is evidence to suggest it will. I don’t know. God can do things in the name of justice we think strange and have no right to do.

This is an example of the character of God difference we have that I mentioned above. I think a study of Jesus Christ should clarify this question.

Quote:
You’re not addressing the point, which is, why and how do you think they will be able to die gradually instead of dying immediately? What will be their source of life while they are dying gradually? You keep refusing to answer this question. Why?

Because it's obvious. God is the source of life. What else could the answer be? Why would you ask such a question?

You've asked the question about why they die gradually several dozen times, and I've answered it several dozen times. I really don't understand why you don't remember what I've written, especially when it's so many times.

What I've said is that they don't die immediately then for the same reason they don't die immediately now. If God left them to reap the full result of their sin, they would perish. If God left them to reap the full result of their sin before the issues of the judgment had been completed, then they would be dead, which would defeat the purpose.

Quote:
M: . . . so too, I suspect God will do something similar so that they can suffer emotionally and physically as He permits both types of fire to do their work.

T: I think this is an awful idea. It reminds me of this: “It is urged that the infliction of endless misery upon the wicked would show God's hatred of sin as an evil which is ruinous to the peace and order of the universe. Oh, dreadful blasphemy! As if God's hatred of sin is the reason why it is perpetuated.” (GC 536)

In the context of your statement, "As if God wants the wicked to suffer emotionally and physically, and causes this to happen." A thousand times no! God does NOT want the wicked to suffer. They suffer *contrary to His wishes*. And God does nothing at all to cause them to suffer, but everything possible to remove their suffering. They only suffer because they refuse to do God's will, which would result in the removal of their suffering, but insist on doing their own will, of which the inevitable result is suffering and death.

M:It sounds like you’re saying God will offer to save resurrected sinners during the final judgment, that they will be able to avoid suffering and death by accepting the gift of forgiveness and eternal life.

No it doesn't (sound like this).

Quote:
But I happen to know this isn’t what you believe.

This is because I've explained what I believe regarding this. It's straight from GC 541-543.

Quote:
However, your observations assume the wicked want God to resurrect them, that they want to comprehend the contrast between their character and His, that they want to suffer as a result.

No, they don't. Why do you think they do? (my observations assume what you're saying).

Quote:
Do you believe they will volunteer? If so, why?

Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves is what I've said.

Quote:
By the way, you still haven’t explained why and how you think they will die? Do you believe sin will kill them? If so, how and why? Will they die of heart failure, cancer, H1N1, or something else? How would a coroner describe the cause of death? You avoided answering this question above, so I am reposting it here for your convenience. Please answer it. Thank you.

Yes, I think sin will cause their death. Death is the inevitable result of sin. Different people could die for different reasons, but whatever the reason, sin will be behind it.

I've written quite a lot in answering this. Saying I've avoided answering a question that I've written dozens of paragraphs regarding is rather ridiculous.

You should recall that I said on a number of occasions that I thought DA 764 described this better than any other place I knew, and that I didn't want to go beyond what was said there. Do you recall this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122934
01/15/10 03:35 PM
01/15/10 03:35 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: asygo
So, we are to be like God in many things, but not in everything. What you suggest - sinful man wielding the authority to take the life of his brother - is reserved only for Him who gives life. If you are expecting to be like God in that aspect, get ready to be disappointed. (But the rest of the universe will be quite relieved that such authority is not given to finite beings.)

I guess I'm a little confused here. You see, I thought acts were evil or not. I also thought acts were part of character. You would suggest that it's not the acts, but who is doing them that determines whether they're evil or not. So, Satan could do the same thing that God does and it would be evil, whereas what God does would be good. Good is evil, evil is good.

So, if we are only to be like God in some things, in character, who should we be like in acts? Not Satan. He does the same things God does. Should we be like our own selves? But, wasn't Lucifer trying to do that in Heaven? How do we determine what things of God we should be like and in what things not to be like Him? Who should be our pattern to follow after? What should be our basis? If someone should suggest I do a certain act, how can I be sure it is right. Following this idea, I guess we can't question if it's something that Jesus would do, for He may do things we shouldn't. Do something that He would not do(?) or something that is right? How do we know?

See, this sounds very confusing. Do you think this confusion is what resulted in the past (and present) religious killings?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122940
01/15/10 05:10 PM
01/15/10 05:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Tom, as you can see from Arnold's response, there is a general impression you are not being transparent. You are an extremely intelligent person, and your ideas and insights are important to me. However, there are times when you are less than transparent, when you are too vague to understand. What can you do to avoid giving this impression?

Perhaps it's not me. I've posted on many forums, which have many more participants than here, and have not received any comments of not being transparent or vague.

I've written out a number of principles. Perhaps you could consider those. I believe the best way of working out theology is on the basis of considering the underlying principles involved.

Congratulations on your success on other forums. I wish you were more transparent on this forum. We all stand to learn a lot from you.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #122941
01/15/10 05:16 PM
01/15/10 05:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
So, we are to be like God in many things, but not in everything. What you suggest - sinful man wielding the authority to take the life of his brother - is reserved only for Him who gives life. If you are expecting to be like God in that aspect, get ready to be disappointed. (But the rest of the universe will be quite relieved that such authority is not given to finite beings.)

I guess I'm a little confused here. You see, I thought acts were evil or not. I also thought acts were part of character. You would suggest that it's not the acts, but who is doing them that determines whether they're evil or not. So, Satan could do the same thing that God does and it would be evil, whereas what God does would be good. Good is evil, evil is good.

So, if we are only to be like God in some things, in character, who should we be like in acts? Not Satan. He does the same things God does. Should we be like our own selves? But, wasn't Lucifer trying to do that in Heaven? How do we determine what things of God we should be like and in what things not to be like Him? Who should be our pattern to follow after? What should be our basis? If someone should suggest I do a certain act, how can I be sure it is right. Following this idea, I guess we can't question if it's something that Jesus would do, for He may do things we shouldn't. Do something that He would not do(?) or something that is right? How do we know?

See, this sounds very confusing. Do you think this confusion is what resulted in the past (and present) religious killings?

Kland, the following insight addresses your question and comment:

Quote:
The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them. But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

Who will say God will not do what He says He will do?--12MR 207-209; 10MR 265 (1876). {LDE 241.3}

God can do things that would be sinful for us to do.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122942
01/15/10 09:20 PM
01/15/10 09:20 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
(I'm not familiar with the abbreviation LDE)
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Kland, the following insight addresses your question and comment:
That quote does sound like what I understood asygo as saying. I don't see how it answers my above questions of who should we emulate in actions, how do we know what is right.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122944
01/15/10 10:06 PM
01/15/10 10:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Quote:
Tom, as you can see from Arnold's response, there is a general impression you are not being transparent. You are an extremely intelligent person, and your ideas and insights are important to me. However, there are times when you are less than transparent, when you are too vague to understand. What can you do to avoid giving this impression?

Perhaps it's not me. I've posted on many forums, which have many more participants than here, and have not received any comments of not being transparent or vague.

I've written out a number of principles. Perhaps you could consider those. I believe the best way of working out theology is on the basis of considering the underlying principles involved.

Congratulations on your success on other forums. I wish you were more transparent on this forum. We all stand to learn a lot from you.

Thank you for your kind comment.

As I wrote, perhaps the problem is not me. The question as to my transparency seems to be dependent upon whether one agrees with more or not. For example, ask kland if he thinks I'm transparent, and see what he says.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122945
01/15/10 10:07 PM
01/15/10 10:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think "LDE" stands for "Last Day Events," and is a compilation.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122946
01/16/10 01:21 AM
01/16/10 01:21 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
If we were God, we would know who should or should not be killed, and why, and when, and how, and do it right. We could even cause people untold mental anguish, cause suffering worse than physical fire, and do it for days on end before they finally die, and still be right. Even Ty and Tom believe that.

I don't. I'm pretty sure Ty would have the same objection I have.

Take this as one exhibit on how your idea of transparency is not the same as mine. Transparency is not determined by the volume of output, but the clarity of communication. Obviously, what I thought you believe is not what you believe.

Now, I will ask a very specific, pointed question to see if we can clarify things. Please don't make me dig through thousands of posts to find your answer because you can easily answer this in a few words.

Consider the wicked humans that died during Christ's second coming. If Jesus just left them forever, never came back with the New Jerusalem after the Millennium, and completely separated Himself from these dead wicked, would these dead wicked experience misery or suffering (including mental anguish) like they will when Jesus comes for the Judgment? IOW, would they experience misery or suffering (including mental anguish) without God's presence and glory? IOW2, if all they had was sin, no God, would they experience the same misery or suffering (including mental anguish)? Or would they just remain dead?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #122947
01/16/10 01:23 AM
01/16/10 01:23 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
The proper answer, and I think you will agree (at least in your mind), is that God commanded the people to throw stones and shoot arrows;

Yes, I think Tom has explained it repetitively. So much so, I think everyone should understand what he has said and would say by now whether you agree or disagree.

Tom agrees that you know what he would say. So, was I right? Would he, indeed, say that "God commanded the people to throw stones and shoot arrows"?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122948
01/16/10 01:28 AM
01/16/10 01:28 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Exactly(that this is just a play on words). And it is a game of words you are playing.

No, I'm not. I'm discussing things in terms of the principles involved. The principle is that force is not a principle of God's government. His principles are not of this order. The context makes clear how the author was using the word "force."

Right. But you and I don't seem to agree on what that context is, and when it applies.

Furthermore, you believe that God uses force under certain circumstances. For example, you believe that the wicked would rather be covered by a mountain that see Christ's face and glory. Right? But they don't get what they want, do they? They are forced, against their desire, to see God's glory in its fullness.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 83 of 105 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!