HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,598
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,200 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 33 of 39 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 38 39
Re: I have some questions [Re: Tom] #123158
01/30/10 05:41 PM
01/30/10 05:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
If you look at the Ten Commandments, there's nothing in there which specifies anything about repentance. Repentance is necessary just on the basis of common sense.

So, repentance is necessary for people like Moses who sin. But, according to you, common sense, not the law, dictates that it is necessary. Is this what you believe? If so, why do you think the law fails to specify something so logical, so sensible as repentance?

More questions: Do you think the law requires something so logical, so sensible as love? And, do you think the law points sinners to Jesus as their one and only Savior? If so, where in the law does it say so? Also, do you agree the SOP says both the law and God require love?

PS - By "law" I am referring to the 10Cs.

Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #123166
02/01/10 03:52 AM
02/01/10 03:52 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
T:If you look at the Ten Commandments, there's nothing in there which specifies anything about repentance. Repentance is necessary just on the basis of common sense.

M:So, repentance is necessary for people like Moses who sin.

"People like Moses"? I didn't say anything about "people like Moses."

Quote:
But, according to you, common sense, not the law, dictates that it is necessary.

I said common sense tells us if we're going one way, and we wish to go another, we need to change direction. What I'm reacting to is the sense I get from reading what you're saying that you are suggesting an arbitrary requirement of the law for repentance, as if the law didn't exist, it wouldn't be necessary to repent. I disagree with this. Even without the law, repentance would be necessary, for the reasons common sense tells us. The law adds no more requirement for repentance than already existed.

Quote:
Is this what you believe?

I don't think so.

Quote:
If so, why do you think the law fails to specify something so logical, so sensible as repentance?

You've read the 10 commandments. Which of these do you think speaks of repentance being necessary?

Quote:
More questions: Do you think the law requires something so logical, so sensible as love? And, do you think the law points sinners to Jesus as their one and only Savior? If so, where in the law does it say so? Also, do you agree the SOP says both the law and God require love?

PS - By "law" I am referring to the 10Cs

If you're going to use the word "require," then that sounds like you're looking at things in a narrow way, in terms of an arbitrary requirement, which wouldn't exist without the law, in which case, no. However, the law is spiritual, as Jesus Christ explained. It is a transcript of God's character. As such, it is "exceeding broad."

I think this is getting off the point, however. In terms of Moses, I believe that had he died, before having the chance to repent, that he would have been happy in heaven, so God would have taken him there. I believe God will take everyone to heaven who will be happy there.

I believe the law is a tool to lead us to Christ. That is its primary function. From Christ we receive life. The law helps make clear to us our need of Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: I have some questions [Re: Tom] #123172
02/01/10 11:03 PM
02/01/10 11:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Does common sense dictate that it is necessary for people like Moses, who love God and the principles of His government, to repent when they sin?

T: To the first question, Yes.

T: If you look at the Ten Commandments, there's nothing in there which specifies anything about repentance. Repentance is necessary just on the basis of common sense.

M: So, repentance is necessary for people like Moses who sin.

T: "People like Moses"? I didn't say anything about "people like Moses."

Yes you did. Please see your post above.

Quote:
M: But, according to you, common sense, not the law, dictates that it is necessary.

T: I said common sense tells us if we're going one way, and we wish to go another, we need to change direction. What I'm reacting to is the sense I get from reading what you're saying that you are suggesting an arbitrary requirement of the law for repentance, as if the law didn't exist, it wouldn't be necessary to repent. I disagree with this. Even without the law, repentance would be necessary, for the reasons common sense tells us. The law adds no more requirement for repentance than already existed.

Can't you say the same thing about all 10 commandments? That is, wouldn't they still be necessary even if the law didn't exist? And yet the law demands obedience. Do you agree? And, do you agree the law demands, requires love? If so, do you think it also demands, requires repentance when people like Moses sin?

Quote:
M: Is this what you believe?

T: I don't think so.

Do you think common sense, not the law, dictates that repentance is necessary when people like Moses sin?

Quote:
M: If so, why do you think the law fails to specify something so logical, so sensible as repentance?

T: You've read the 10 commandments. Which of these do you think speaks of repentance being necessary?

The law as a whole requires it. It's one law, not ten. Do you agree?

Quote:
M: More questions: Do you think the law requires something so logical, so sensible as love? And, do you think the law points sinners to Jesus as their one and only Savior? If so, where in the law does it say so? Also, do you agree the SOP says both the law and God require love? By "law" I am referring to the 10Cs.

T: If you're going to use the word "require," then that sounds like you're looking at things in a narrow way, in terms of an arbitrary requirement, which wouldn't exist without the law, in which case, no. However, the law is spiritual, as Jesus Christ explained. It is a transcript of God's character. As such, it is "exceeding broad."

I think this is getting off the point, however. In terms of Moses, I believe that had he died, before having the chance to repent, that he would have been happy in heaven, so God would have taken him there. I believe God will take everyone to heaven who will be happy there.

I believe the law is a tool to lead us to Christ. That is its primary function. From Christ we receive life. The law helps make clear to us our need of Christ.

Do you agree the SOP uses the word "require" as it relates to law and love and obedience? Please refer to the quotes I posted on the previous page.

Also, I agree with you that people like Moses will go to heaven if they sin and die before being able to repent. However, unlike you, I believe repentance is necessary and that God must impute it in such cases. It goes along with the reason why God must impute the blood and righteous of Jesus to atone for our past sins.

Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #123177
02/02/10 10:39 AM
02/02/10 10:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Yes you did. Please see your post above.

Do you mean this? "To the first question, yes. To the second, you're assuming a false premise." If so, that wasn't me, but you.

Quote:
T: I said common sense tells us if we're going one way, and we wish to go another, we need to change direction. What I'm reacting to is the sense I get from reading what you're saying that you are suggesting an arbitrary requirement of the law for repentance, as if the law didn't exist, it wouldn't be necessary to repent. I disagree with this. Even without the law, repentance would be necessary, for the reasons common sense tells us. The law adds no more requirement for repentance than already existed.

M:Can't you say the same thing about all 10 commandments? That is, wouldn't they still be necessary even if the law didn't exist?

They would still be true, even if they hadn't been written down. Is that what you mean?

Quote:
And yet the law demands obedience. Do you agree? And, do you agree the law demands, requires love? If so, do you think it also demands, requires repentance when people like Moses sin?

Not in the sense that I'm understanding from what you're writing. I see the law as descriptive, telling us how to live if we wish to have peace and life, and warning us of behavior which is self destructive. The Ten Commandments can also be seen as 10 promises of things which God will accomplish for us if we have faith in His Son. I don't see them as "requirements" in the sense that these are things we have to do because it says so. Even if these weren't written down, doing these things would still be the way to life and peace.

Quote:
Do you think common sense, not the law, dictates that repentance is necessary when people like Moses sin?

I think I've answered this. By the way, what law are thinking of? That is, which commandment did you have in mind?

Repentance is a change of mind, a change of direction. If we are in rebellion against God, and we wish to be at peace with God, we need to stop fighting against Him. Does this not make sense to you? I don't see what you think the law has to do with this. I'm not saying the law has nothing to do with this; I'm saying, I don't see what you think the law has to do with this. What I think the law has to do with this is it makes it evident to us that we are in rebellion.

Quote:
T: You've read the 10 commandments. Which of these do you think speaks of repentance being necessary?

M:The law as a whole requires it.

Why do you think this? What specifically that is written down gives you this idea?

Quote:
It's one law, not ten. Do you agree?

It's 10 Commandments. If I made the claim that the law required something, and somebody asked me which commandment said something, I'd be able to cite something to support my claim. Otherwise one could claim anything.

Quote:
Do you agree the SOP uses the word "require" as it relates to law and love and obedience? Please refer to the quotes I posted on the previous page.

The law requires love and obedience in the sense that without love and obedience it is not possible to keep the law. But love cannot be commanded; it can only be awakened by love.

Quote:
The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him.(DA 22)

Quote:
Also, I agree with you that people like Moses will go to heaven if they sin and die before being able to repent. However, unlike you, I believe repentance is necessary and that God must impute it in such cases.

Impute it? That doesn't make any sense to me. Repentance is not something which is "imputed." It's experienced. Why do you think God must impute it?

Quote:
It goes along with the reason why God must impute the blood and righteous of Jesus to atone for our past sins.

I understand this to mean the same thing as our being clothed by the robe of Christ's righteousness. That is, God's imputing the blood and righteousness of Jesus Christ to atone for our sins = by faith we are clothed with the robe of Christ's righteousness.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: I have some questions [Re: Tom] #123186
02/02/10 06:45 PM
02/02/10 06:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The law requires love and obedience in the sense that without love and obedience it is not possible to keep the law.

Do you think the law (10C) condemns those who sin? Do you think it points them to Jesus for pardon and salvation? If so, please show me where it says so.

"The Bible condemns every species of dishonesty, and demands right-doing under all circumstances. {FE 102.1} The law "points out our defects, and condemns us, but it has no power to save us. {RC 55.5} "The law condemns the sinner and drives him to Christ. It is God that justifies and pardons. {UL 377.4}

"The messenger should be able to say, "In the law is God's will; come, see for yourselves that the law is what Paul declared it to be--'holy, and just, and good.' "It reproves sin, it condemns the sinner, but it shows him his need of Christ, with whom is plenteous mercy and goodness and truth. Though the law cannot remit the penalty for sin, but charges the sinner with all his debt, Christ has promised abundant pardon to all who repent, and believe in His mercy. {1SM 371.1}

Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #123190
02/02/10 07:53 PM
02/02/10 07:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Do you think the law (10C) condemns those who sin? Do you think it points them to Jesus for pardon and salvation? If so, please show me where it says so.

Regarding the first question, it says "Thou shalt" and "Thou shalt not." What do you think this means?

Regarding the second question, the Holy Spirit points sinners to Jesus Christ. He uses the law to help in this process. The law helps the sinner to recognize that he has done wrong and needs forgiveness.

Re: I have some questions [Re: Tom] #123198
02/03/10 04:41 PM
02/03/10 04:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I don't think the way God worded the ten commandments makes it clear the law condemns sinners or points them to Jesus for pardon and salvation. But elsewhere God says so very plainly, that is, He says the law condemns sinners and points them to Jesus for pardon and salvation. Similarly the law describes and demands love, faith, works, repentance, etc. "Thou shalt" and "thou shalt not" mean - While you're abiding in Jesus you will live in harmony with the will of God imitating the lovely example of Jesus. But the same law also condemns sinners to death. It does not and cannot pardon them. Instead, it points them to Jesus for pardon and salvation. And, yes, of course, the Holy Spirit helps them grasp the deeper and wider meaning of the law.

Again, though, do you agree the law requires people like Moses to repent when they sin and threatens condemnation and death if they don't repent and obey? Or, do you see the law as being more neutral, merely describing what it looks like when people are in harmony with the will of God, that it doesn't condemn them or require them to repent and obey?

Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #123207
02/03/10 10:58 PM
02/03/10 10:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't think the way God worded the ten commandments makes it clear the law condemns sinners or points them to Jesus for pardon and salvation.

This is their function, not their wording.

Quote:
But elsewhere God says so very plainly, that is, He says the law condemns sinners and points them to Jesus for pardon and salvation. Similarly the law describes and demands love, faith, works, repentance, etc. "Thou shalt" and "thou shalt not" mean - While you're abiding in Jesus you will live in harmony with the will of God imitating the lovely example of Jesus.

I agree with this completely.

Quote:
But the same law also condemns sinners to death.

Sure, in the same sense as what you just said. While one abides in Jesus, one lives in harmony with the law, imitating the lovely example of Jesus. This makes perfect sense, since the law is a transcript of God's character. By beholding we are transformed. So as we behold Jesus, we become like Him in character, which is tantamount to obeying the law.

Similarly, on the negative side, if we sin, we must die, since sin is based not on agape, but on selfishness, and selfishness can do no other but lead to misery and death.

Quote:
It does not and cannot pardon them.

The last points out the right way to live. The law is not a sentient being with the ability to pardon.

Quote:
Instead, it points them to Jesus for pardon and salvation.

Not literally, but it performs this function, when the Holy Spirit uses it to bring about conviction of sin.

Quote:
And, yes, of course, the Holy Spirit helps them grasp the deeper and wider meaning of the law.

Again, though, do you agree the law requires people like Moses to repent when they sin and threatens condemnation and death if they don't repent and obey? Or, do you see the law as being more neutral, merely describing what it looks like when people are in harmony with the will of God, that it doesn't condemn them or require them to repent and obey?

This looks like assuming a false premise here (e.g., that the truth must be one of these two things, or that these two things should be pitted against one another).

I think the law describes behavior which is in harmony with God's character. I think, on order to be like God in character (which is equivalent to saying obeying the law) one must know Christ (i.e. by born again/converted/pardoned/justified by faith; all synonyms), and repentance is a part of this process, as before uniting with Christ one must cease fighting against Him.

Re: I have some questions [Re: Tom] #123210
02/04/10 04:33 PM
02/04/10 04:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I'm glad we can agree on the points you named above. When Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments" I believe it means, If you love me I will be able to empower you to imitate my example of loving service and obedience.

I also believe the law of God requires people like Moses to repent when they sin. If they should die before being able to repent I believe God imputes the repentance they would have experienced had they not died. Since God knows the end from the beginning He knows with absolute certainty they would have repented. Such people will be holy and happy in heaven.

Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #123216
02/04/10 10:13 PM
02/04/10 10:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
EGW wrote:

Quote:
If you are the children of God you are partakers of His nature, and you cannot but be like Him. Every child lives by the life of his father. If you are God's children, begotten by His Spirit, you live by the life of God... That life in you will produce the same character and manifest the same works as it did in Him. Thus you will be in harmony with every precept of His law...(MB 78)

This is what I had in mind in regards to loving Christ and keeping His commandments.

Regarding God requiring people like Moses to repent when they sin, this is not a requirement on the part of God as if it's something God needs. Not at all. God, from His perspective, has already forgiven. It's a "requirement" in the sense that we cannot accept God's forgiveness unless we acknowledge that we've done something wrong and we need it.

I'm getting a feeling of deja-vu here.

There's no need for God to "impute" anything. Just as we don't need to impute anything to forgive someone else, neither does God. You either choose to forgive someone else, or you don't.

Whether a person would have repented, cut off from the chance to do so, can be seen from their character. Such people will be happy in holy in heaven because of their character.

Page 33 of 39 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/28/24 02:30 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!