HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 20 1 2 3 4 19 20
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123200
02/03/10 06:30 PM
02/03/10 06:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Was it wrong of God to command His people to execute capital punishment? Wasn’t it Jesus who commanded it? If it wasn’t Jesus, who do you think commanded it?

T: It's of the same character as the counsel in relation to divorce.

Do I have your permission to assume you believe it was Jesus who commanded His people to execute capital punishment? And, can I assume you believe there was nothing wrong with Him commanding it or with His people executing it?

Quote:
M: Did God (Jesus) command His people to get divorced, to have more than one spouse, to have a king, or to obey the law in their own strength? Would He have viewed it as rebellion if they refused to do these things? Do you agree God (Jesus) commanded them to execute capital punishment? If so, why?

T: I think these were, in general, of a similar character.

Would you mind answering each of the questions? I have no idea what you believe. Thank you.

Quote:
M: Why would anyone think Jesus was opposed to things He commanded?

T: As to why one would think God would be opposed to any of things, one would need to know God's character.

Do you think Jesus commanded His people to do things He is opposed to, things He thinks is sinful? Or, do I have your permission to assume, No, you do not believe Jesus commanded His people to do things that were wrong or sinful?

Quote:
M: Do you think Jesus wanted to tell Moses to simply forgive the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? If so, why didn’t Jesus say so when Moses inquired of Him? Do you think the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer were like the woman caught in adultery in that they were set up and led into sin? Do you think they were sorry for their sin and wishing to be forgiven?

T: I think to see God's ideal will, we should and must look to Jesus Christ. The Israelites were a stiff-necked and ignorant people. We see God's ideal will, including His view of capital punishment, in situations like this in His treatment of the woman caught in adultery.

Yes, the COI were stiff-necked. And, in particular, the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer were, unlike the woman taken in adultery, rebellious and unrepentant. Now, with these facts in mind, do you believe Jesus would have command Moses to forgive them and tell them to go and sin no more if it weren’t for the fact the COI were stiff-necked?

Quote:
T: This doesn't make sense to me. What makes more sense to me is that God was reacting to the circumstances, and doing what made the most sense given the situation of the people and what was happening. That God commanded capital punishment as a model in miniature for the judgment doesn't make much sense. To understand the judgment, we should study Calvary. Trying to understand God by looking at the OT, while leaving aside Christ, is like using a candle instead of the sun for illumination. We've been studying these subjects for several years now, and how much time have we spent considering Christ vs. how much time on the OT? Maybe 1% Christ and 99% OT? Not a good ratio for understanding the truth about God, IMO.

M: Jesus did not come the first time to execute the final judgment. Instead, He came to pay our sin debt of death.

T: He came to reveal God. This was the "whole purpose" of His mission. “Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90) It should be clear from this to see why Jesus came. Surely "whole purpose" must encompass the reason.

Amen! But do you agree that He did not come the first time to execute judgment?

Quote:
M: True, He spoke fairly often about the final judgment, and when He did, He always cited the OT to state the truth about it. Why do you think Jesus cited the OT when He taught the truth regarding the final judgment?

T: MM, this was the Scripture of the time.

Amen! Do you think those scriptures clearly explain the final judgment?

Quote:
M: While here in the flesh Jesus forgave sinners and commanded them to go and sin no more else something worse would happen to them. But He didn’t forgive everybody.

T: On the cross He prayed, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do!" This reveals the heart of God.

Amen! But do you agree He didn’t forgive everybody He encountered during His ministry? And, do you think Jesus expected His Father to forgive everybody involved in His crucifixion, that is, to treat them as if they have never sinned?

Quote:
M: Instead, He simply told them it was going to be worse for them during the final judgment than it was for the antediluvians and the inhabitants of S&G. Why didn’t Jesus forgive everyone like He did the woman taken in adultery?

T: You can't forgive someone who doesn't wish to be change, no matter how much it breaks your heart.

Amen! But do you think the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer (in the time of Moses) were like the woman taken in adultery? In other words, do you think Jesus would have forgiven them if it weren’t for the fact the COI were stiff-necked?

Quote:
M: You wrote, “What makes more sense to me is that God was reacting to the circumstances, and doing what made the most sense given the situation of the people and what was happening.” Do you believe Jesus commanded His people to execute capital punishment? And, was it wrong of them to obey His command? Was it a sin to execute capital punishment?

T: Here was my comment: “To understand the judgment, we should study Calvary. Trying to understand God by looking at the OT, while leaving aside Christ, is like using a candle instead of the sun for illumination. We've been studying these subjects for several years now, and how much time have we spent considering Christ vs. how much time on the OT? Maybe 1% Christ and 99% OT? Not a good ratio for understanding the truth about God, IMO.” In my opinion, if you wish to understand God, the place to look is Jesus Christ, while here in the flesh, during the time when His whole purpose was the revelation of God. Regarding the people in the OT, I think God would have been delighted if they had the heart of Jesus Christ, and, on that basis, reacted how Jesus Christ did.

You didn’t answer my questions. Here they are again. Do you believe Jesus commanded His people to execute capital punishment? And, was it wrong of them to obey His command? Was it a sin to execute capital punishment?

The Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer were not like the woman taken in adultery. They were rebellious and unrepentant. Do you agree? If so, how did Jesus treat this kind of sinner while He was here in the flesh? Did He forgive them and command them to go and sin no more? No, of course not! So, how did He treat them? He merely told them they were going to be resurrected, judged, sentenced to death, punished, and then they were going to perish in the lake of fire. Do you agree? If so, how does this insight help us understand why Jesus commanded Moses to stone sinners to death?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123208
02/04/10 12:08 AM
02/04/10 12:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Do I have your permission to assume you believe it was Jesus who commanded His people to execute capital punishment? And, can I assume you believe there was nothing wrong with Him commanding it or with His people executing it?

No. You have my permission to go with what I wrote in the previous post. I said several times that I view the counsel in regards to capital punishment to be similar in character to that regarding polygamy and divorce, which is to say that it was not an expression of God's ideal will, which is best seen in Christ, but counsel driven by circumstances, principally the hardness of their heart.

If you wish to see God's character revealed on this question, consider the woman caught in adultery. There we have, by far, the clearest representation of God's view of the matter. We have the words and actions of Jesus Christ in the very situation you're asking about.

Quote:

Quote:
M: Did God (Jesus) command His people to get divorced, to have more than one spouse, to have a king, or to obey the law in their own strength? Would He have viewed it as rebellion if they refused to do these things? Do you agree God (Jesus) commanded them to execute capital punishment? If so, why?

M:Would you mind answering each of the questions? I have no idea what you believe. Thank you.

We've discussed polygamy at great length, dozens and dozens of pages. If you have "no idea" what I believe regarding this, my writing one more small thing in the light of dozens of pages won't help, I don't think.

I think what I wrote, that these are of a similar character, is clear. God permitted certain things because of the hardness of their hearts.

I've been pointing out that the place to go to understand these things is Jesus Christ. We keep just talking about the OT. We've done this for years. We discuss what Jesus Christ did in the NT very, very little. I don't think this is the way to go.

Quote:

T: As to why one would think God would be opposed to any of things, one would need to know God's character.

Do you think Jesus commanded His people to do things He is opposed to, things He thinks is sinful? Or, do I have your permission to assume, No, you do not believe Jesus commanded His people to do things that were wrong or sinful?

Again, we've discussed polygamy and divorce in detail, and I pointed out several times that I believe that God's counsel in regards to capital punishment was similar in character to that of polygamy, and divorce. Because of the hardness of their heart, God permitted things which were not His ideal will. His ideal will is seen in Jesus Christ.

IMO you're going at this completely backwards. *First* understand God's ideal will as revealed in Christ. *Then* go back to the OT and try to make sense out of it.

Quote:

I think God gave them counsel which was similar in character to the counsel He gave them in regards to divorce and polygamy.

Quote:
T: I think to see God's ideal will, we should and must look to Jesus Christ. The Israelites were a stiff-necked and ignorant people. We see God's ideal will, including His view of capital punishment, in situations like this in His treatment of the woman caught in adultery.

MM:Yes, the COI were stiff-necked. And, in particular, the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer were, unlike the woman taken in adultery, rebellious and unrepentant. Now, with these facts in mind, do you believe Jesus would have command Moses to forgive them and tell them to go and sin no more if it weren’t for the fact the COI were stiff-necked?

I think we see God's ideal will revealed in Jesus Christ. Again, I think we should start out by studying Christ, ascertain what God is like from that, and use Christ as our foundation. Even holy angels were confused about things until the revelation of Christ.

Quote:
M: Jesus did not come the first time to execute the final judgment. Instead, He came to pay our sin debt of death.

T: He came to reveal God. This was the "whole purpose" of His mission. “Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90) It should be clear from this to see why Jesus came. Surely "whole purpose" must encompass the reason.

Amen! But do you agree that He did not come the first time to execute judgment?

You're talking about the final judgment, right? You're asking me if the final judgment took place in the past, 2000 years ago? No, it didn't. It will occur in the future, after the second resurrection.

Quote:
M: True, He spoke fairly often about the final judgment, and when He did, He always cited the OT to state the truth about it. Why do you think Jesus cited the OT when He taught the truth regarding the final judgment?

M:Amen! Do you think those scriptures clearly explain the final judgment?

What else would Christ have cited besides the OT? I don't understand why you made that point. I think Christ had a clear understanding of what the OT was saying. It was clear to Him. It's not necessarily clear to others. I think it was misunderstood by pretty much all of His contemporaries, and badly misunderstood today as well. I don't think the problem is so much the OT itself, but a lack of understanding on the part of people reading it.

Quote:
M: While here in the flesh Jesus forgave sinners and commanded them to go and sin no more else something worse would happen to them. But He didn’t forgive everybody.

T: On the cross He prayed, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do!" This reveals the heart of God.

M:Amen! But do you agree He didn’t forgive everybody He encountered during His ministry? And, do you think Jesus expected His Father to forgive everybody involved in His crucifixion, that is, to treat them as if they have never sinned?

There's two aspects to forgiveness. One is what's in your heart, if you personally have forgiven them, or if you're holding something against them, waiting for them to do something first before you'll forgive them. Christ's prayer reveals His heart, and the heart of God. Christ is forgiveness personified. From this perspective, Christ forgave, and has forgiven, everyone.

The other perspective is that forgiveness must be accepted, and for this to happen, there must be a recognition of the need for forgiveness (aka repentance). From this perspective, Christ could only forgive those who repented and saw their need for it.

For example, let's say I did something which you misinterpreted, and were made at me for years. I haven't done anything wrong, but you have wronged me. But I don't hold anything against you, and forgive you for being angry at me.

This is one aspect.

For our relationship to be healed, you must recognize that I haven't done anything wrong, and that you were at fault, and ask my forgiveness. Since I've already forgiven you in my heart, my saying "Yes, I forgive you," is simply my communicating to you what I was already feeling before you asked me. But you can't experience my forgiveness unless you acknowledge your error and ask to be forgiven.

Regarding the second question, yes, of course. This is the way God treats people.

Quote:
M: Instead, He simply told them it was going to be worse for them during the final judgment than it was for the antediluvians and the inhabitants of S&G. Why didn’t Jesus forgive everyone like He did the woman taken in adultery?

T: You can't forgive someone who doesn't wish to be change, no matter how much it breaks your heart.

Amen! But do you think the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer (in the time of Moses) were like the woman taken in adultery? In other words, do you think Jesus would have forgiven them if it weren’t for the fact the COI were stiff-necked?

Yes, they were alike. The woman caught in adultery was NOT repentant at the point in time that Christ forgave her. The goodness of God leads to repentance. It was because of the way that Christ treated her that she became repentant.

Regarding the last questions, they look to me like they've been addressed above.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123212
02/04/10 05:31 PM
02/04/10 05:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Do I have your permission to assume you believe it was Jesus who commanded His people to execute capital punishment? And, can I assume you believe there was nothing wrong with Him commanding it or with His people executing it?

T: No. You have my permission to go with what I wrote in the previous post. I said several times that I view the counsel in regards to capital punishment to be similar in character to that regarding polygamy and divorce, which is to say that it was not an expression of God's ideal will, which is best seen in Christ, but counsel driven by circumstances, principally the hardness of their heart. If you wish to see God's character revealed on this question, consider the woman caught in adultery. There we have, by far, the clearest representation of God's view of the matter. We have the words and actions of Jesus Christ in the very situation you're asking about.

In saying “no” are you saying Jesus did not command His people to execute capital punishment? And, do you believe there was nothing wrong with Him commanding it or with His people executing it?

Quote:

M: Would you mind answering each of the questions? I have no idea what you believe. Thank you.

T: We've discussed polygamy at great length, dozens and dozens of pages. If you have "no idea" what I believe regarding this, my writing one more small thing in the light of dozens of pages won't help, I don't think. I think what I wrote, that these are of a similar character, is clear. God permitted certain things because of the hardness of their hearts. I've been pointing out that the place to go to understand these things is Jesus Christ. We keep just talking about the OT. We've done this for years. We discuss what Jesus Christ did in the NT very, very little. I don't think this is the way to go.

I’m sorry, Tom, but your answer is unclear to me. I cannot discern from it if you believe Jesus commanded His people to get divorced, to have more than one spouse, to have a king, or to obey the law in their own strength, or if He would have viewed it as rebellion if they refused to do these things? In saying He “permitted” it are you saying He didn’t command it?

However, in this thread we’re discussing capital punishment. So, the question is - Do you believe Jesus commanded His people to execute capital punishment? Or, do you think He merely permitted it? Please consider the following passage: “And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses.”

Quote:

M: Do you think Jesus commanded His people to do things He is opposed to, things He thinks is sinful? Or, do I have your permission to assume, No, you do not believe Jesus commanded His people to do things that were wrong or sinful?

T: Again, we've discussed polygamy and divorce in detail, and I pointed out several times that I believe that God's counsel in regards to capital punishment was similar in character to that of polygamy, and divorce. Because of the hardness of their heart, God permitted things which were not His ideal will. His ideal will is seen in Jesus Christ. IMO you're going at this completely backwards. *First* understand God's ideal will as revealed in Christ. *Then* go back to the OT and try to make sense out of it.

You didn’t answer the question. Did Jesus command or permit His people to do things that were wrong or sinful?

Quote:

M: Yes, the COI were stiff-necked. And, in particular, the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer were, unlike the woman taken in adultery, rebellious and unrepentant. Now, with these facts in mind, do you believe Jesus would have command Moses to forgive them and tell them to go and sin no more if it weren’t for the fact the COI were stiff-necked?

T: I think we see God's ideal will revealed in Jesus Christ. Again, I think we should start out by studying Christ, ascertain what God is like from that, and use Christ as our foundation. Even holy angels were confused about things until the revelation of Christ.

You didn’t answer the question. Do you think Jesus would have pardoned the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer and sent them on their way with instruction not to sin again if it weren’t for His stiff-necked people?

Quote:

M: Amen! But do you agree that He did not come the first time to execute judgment?

T: You're talking about the final judgment, right? You're asking me if the final judgment took place in the past, 2000 years ago? No, it didn't. It will occur in the future, after the second resurrection.

Yes, I was referring to the final judgment. Do you agree He didn’t come to execute the final judgment? By the way, do you think He came the first time to execute some other judgment?

Quote:

M: Amen! Do you think those scriptures clearly explain the final judgment?

T: What else would Christ have cited besides the OT? I don't understand why you made that point. I think Christ had a clear understanding of what the OT was saying. It was clear to Him. It's not necessarily clear to others. I think it was misunderstood by pretty much all of His contemporaries, and badly misunderstood today as well. I don't think the problem is so much the OT itself, but a lack of understanding on the part of people reading it.

So, yes, do you believe Jesus used the OT to explain the final judgment. Did Jesus have to add information not in the OT in order to explain the truth about it?

Quote:

M: Amen! But do you agree He didn’t forgive everybody He encountered during His ministry? And, do you think Jesus expected His Father to forgive everybody involved in His crucifixion, that is, to treat them as if they have never sinned?

T: There's two aspects to forgiveness. One is what's in your heart, if you personally have forgiven them, or if you're holding something against them, waiting for them to do something first before you'll forgive them. Christ's prayer reveals His heart, and the heart of God. Christ is forgiveness personified. From this perspective, Christ forgave, and has forgiven, everyone. The other perspective is that forgiveness must be accepted, and for this to happen, there must be a recognition of the need for forgiveness (aka repentance). From this perspective, Christ could only forgive those who repented and saw their need for it.

For example, let's say I did something which you misinterpreted, and were made at me for years. I haven't done anything wrong, but you have wronged me. But I don't hold anything against you, and forgive you for being angry at me. This is one aspect. For our relationship to be healed, you must recognize that I haven't done anything wrong, and that you were at fault, and ask my forgiveness. Since I've already forgiven you in my heart, my saying "Yes, I forgive you," is simply my communicating to you what I was already feeling before you asked me. But you can't experience my forgiveness unless you acknowledge your error and ask to be forgiven.

Regarding the second question, yes, of course. This is the way God treats people.

I hear you saying Jesus has forgiven everyone, but we must acknowledge and accept it before we are truly forgiven in the salvation sense. But then your answer to the second question seems to say, yes, God forgave everyone involved in crucifying Jesus and treats them “as if they never sinned”. Which means, of course, they will go to heaven with Jesus when He returns. Is this what you believe?

Quote:
M: Instead, He simply told them it was going to be worse for them during the final judgment than it was for the antediluvians and the inhabitants of S&G. Why did n’t Jesus forgive everyone like He did the woman taken in adultery?

M: Amen! But do you think the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer (in the time of Moses) were like the woman taken in adultery? In other words, do you think Jesus would have forgiven them if it weren’t for the fact the COI were stiff-necked?

T: Yes, they were alike. The woman caught in adultery was NOT repentant at the point in time that Christ forgave her. The goodness of God leads to repentance. It was because of the way that Christ treated her that she became repentant. Regarding the last questions, they look to me like they've been addressed above.

Do you believe the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer would have repented had Jesus commanded Moses to forgive them? And, do you think they will be in heaven because Jesus knows it was in their heart to repent?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123213
02/04/10 05:38 PM
02/04/10 05:38 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Quote:
M: Do you believe God commanded His people to have more than one spouse? If so, please post the passages that say so. Thank you.

K: Perhaps you see nothing wrong with polygamy. Here's another case. Was it God's ideal will for them to have a king?

You didn’t answer my question. Do you believe God commanded His people to have more than one spouse? And, do you believe He commanded His people to have a king? I assume your answer to both questions is, No! If so, does that mean you also believe God did not command capital punishment? Or, do you believe He did? For example, do you believe God commanded Moses to stone sinners to death?

I said:
Originally Posted By: kland
Kland, do you believe God commanded His people to have more than one spouse? If so, please post the passages that say so. Thank you.

PS - It would be nice if you answered the questions posted above. Tom recommended this thread hoping you would articulate the truth as to why commanded His people to employ capital punishment.

Sorry, I must have missed where Tom thought I would articulate the truth on this thread.

But why do you ask for where He commanded? It says God killed Saul. You say since it also says Saul killed himself, that's ok. But, in those cases where you can't find a specific thing contrasting with what God said, you say it's not true. So, wouldn't it follow if you can't find a statement contrasting with polygamy, it's not true that God is against it?

However, God did say not to kill. So what should we make of that in light of your above comments?

As far the other, besides what Tom answered, what about the other post, #123169, explaining a reason? As in, ideally.

Why do you think I didn't answer your question?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123217
02/04/10 10:40 PM
02/04/10 10:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: No. You have my permission to go with what I wrote in the previous post. I said several times that I view the counsel in regards to capital punishment to be similar in character to that regarding polygamy and divorce, which is to say that it was not an expression of God's ideal will, which is best seen in Christ, but counsel driven by circumstances, principally the hardness of their heart. If you wish to see God's character revealed on this question, consider the woman caught in adultery. There we have, by far, the clearest representation of God's view of the matter. We have the words and actions of Jesus Christ in the very situation you're asking about.

MM:In saying “no” are you saying Jesus did not command His people to execute capital punishment? And, do you believe there was nothing wrong with Him commanding it or with His people executing it?

Please read what I wrote above.

Quote:
T: We've discussed polygamy at great length, dozens and dozens of pages. If you have "no idea" what I believe regarding this, my writing one more small thing in the light of dozens of pages won't help, I don't think. I think what I wrote, that these are of a similar character, is clear. God permitted certain things because of the hardness of their hearts. I've been pointing out that the place to go to understand these things is Jesus Christ. We keep just talking about the OT. We've done this for years. We discuss what Jesus Christ did in the NT very, very little. I don't think this is the way to go.

M:I’m sorry, Tom, but your answer is unclear to me. I cannot discern from it if you believe Jesus commanded His people to get divorced, to have more than one spouse, to have a king, or to obey the law in their own strength, or if He would have viewed it as rebellion if they refused to do these things? In saying He “permitted” it are you saying He didn’t command it?

I'm saying that God permitted it, that it wasn't His ideal will, and if wish to know God's ideal will, look to Christ.

Quote:
However, in this thread we’re discussing capital punishment. So, the question is - Do you believe Jesus commanded His people to execute capital punishment? Or, do you think He merely permitted it? Please consider the following passage: “And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses.”

I believe Christ's attitude towards capital punishment was made clear in His dealings of the woman caught in adultery.

Quote:
T: Again, we've discussed polygamy and divorce in detail, and I pointed out several times that I believe that God's counsel in regards to capital punishment was similar in character to that of polygamy, and divorce. Because of the hardness of their heart, God permitted things which were not His ideal will. His ideal will is seen in Jesus Christ. IMO you're going at this completely backwards. *First* understand God's ideal will as revealed in Christ. *Then* go back to the OT and try to make sense out of it.

M:You didn’t answer the question. Did Jesus command or permit His people to do things that were wrong or sinful?

God permitted certain things because of the hardness of people's hearts. Remember the story of the hunter father who was constrained to give certain counsel to his son which could have been misunderstood by someone listening in to their conversation? To get God's view of things, we should look to Christ. How He treated the woman caught in adultery, how He responded to the disciples when they suggested destroying the Samaritans with fire from heaven, gives us understanding of how God views these things.

Quote:
T: I think we see God's ideal will revealed in Jesus Christ. Again, I think we should start out by studying Christ, ascertain what God is like from that, and use Christ as our foundation. Even holy angels were confused about things until the revelation of Christ.

MM:You didn’t answer the question. Do you think Jesus would have pardoned the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer and sent them on their way with instruction not to sin again if it weren’t for His stiff-necked people?

I think He would have treated them the same way He taught the woman caught in adultery.

Quote:
M: Amen! But do you agree that He did not come the first time to execute judgment?

T: You're talking about the final judgment, right? You're asking me if the final judgment took place in the past, 2000 years ago? No, it didn't. It will occur in the future, after the second resurrection.

M:Yes, I was referring to the final judgment. Do you agree He didn’t come to execute the final judgment? By the way, do you think He came the first time to execute some other judgment?

Regarding the first question, didn't I just answer this? ("No, it didn't.") Regarding the second:

Quote:
And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.

Quote:
T: What else would Christ have cited besides the OT? I don't understand why you made that point. I think Christ had a clear understanding of what the OT was saying. It was clear to Him. It's not necessarily clear to others. I think it was misunderstood by pretty much all of His contemporaries, and badly misunderstood today as well. I don't think the problem is so much the OT itself, but a lack of understanding on the part of people reading it.

MM:So, yes, do you believe Jesus used the OT to explain the final judgment.

What else would Christ have cited besides the OT? I don't understand why you made that point. I think Christ had a clear understanding of what the OT was saying. It was clear to Him. It's not necessarily clear to others. I think it was misunderstood by pretty much all of His contemporaries, and badly misunderstood today as well. I don't think the problem is so much the OT itself, but a lack of understanding on the part of people reading it.

Quote:
Did Jesus have to add information not in the OT in order to explain the truth about it?

Jesus had to explain what the OT meant, if that's what you're asking. Also Jesus imparted knowledge that hadn't been seen or known before.

Quote:
T: There's two aspects to forgiveness. One is what's in your heart, if you personally have forgiven them, or if you're holding something against them, waiting for them to do something first before you'll forgive them. Christ's prayer reveals His heart, and the heart of God. Christ is forgiveness personified. From this perspective, Christ forgave, and has forgiven, everyone. The other perspective is that forgiveness must be accepted, and for this to happen, there must be a recognition of the need for forgiveness (aka repentance). From this perspective, Christ could only forgive those who repented and saw their need for it.

For example, let's say I did something which you misinterpreted, and were made at me for years. I haven't done anything wrong, but you have wronged me. But I don't hold anything against you, and forgive you for being angry at me. This is one aspect. For our relationship to be healed, you must recognize that I haven't done anything wrong, and that you were at fault, and ask my forgiveness. Since I've already forgiven you in my heart, my saying "Yes, I forgive you," is simply my communicating to you what I was already feeling before you asked me. But you can't experience my forgiveness unless you acknowledge your error and ask to be forgiven.

I hear you saying Jesus has forgiven everyone, but we must acknowledge and accept it before we are truly forgiven in the salvation sense. But then your answer to the second question seems to say, yes, God forgave everyone involved in crucifying Jesus and treats them “as if they never sinned”. Which means, of course, they will go to heaven with Jesus when He returns. Is this what you believe?

No. I don't know how to respond beyond this, other than I have no clue as to how you could get that conclusion from what I wrote above.

Actually, in thinking about it, I can infer some things. It seems that you're question is assuming that one's character has nothing to do with whether or not one should go to heaven, but only God's feelings towards the person in terms of forgiveness. Is this correct? Otherwise your question makes no sense me.

Assuming this is the case, I disagree with this idea, but feel instead that our character is of vital importance in this matter.

Quote:
T: Yes, they were alike. The woman caught in adultery was NOT repentant at the point in time that Christ forgave her. The goodness of God leads to repentance. It was because of the way that Christ treated her that she became repentant. Regarding the last questions, they look to me like they've been addressed above.

MMDo you believe the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer would have repented had Jesus commanded Moses to forgive them? And, do you think they will be in heaven because Jesus knows it was in their heart to repent?

One could say that their actions do not give their impression, but I don't see how one could go beyond that. I wouldn't have any way of knowing what was in their heart, would I? Man looks at the outward man, but God looks at the heart.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123225
02/05/10 05:28 PM
02/05/10 05:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
M: Do you believe God commanded His people to have more than one spouse? If so, please post the passages that say so. Thank you.

K: Perhaps you see nothing wrong with polygamy. Here's another case. Was it God's ideal will for them to have a king?

You didn’t answer my question. Do you believe God commanded His people to have more than one spouse? And, do you believe He commanded His people to have a king? I assume your answer to both questions is, No! If so, does that mean you also believe God did not command capital punishment? Or, do you believe He did? For example, do you believe God commanded Moses to stone sinners to death?

I said:
Kland, do you believe God commanded His people to have more than one spouse? If so, please post the passages that say so. Thank you.

PS - It would be nice if you answered the questions posted above. Tom recommended this thread hoping you would articulate the truth as to why commanded His people to employ capital punishment.

Sorry, I must have missed where Tom thought I would articulate the truth on this thread.

But why do you ask for where He commanded? It says God killed Saul. You say since it also says Saul killed himself, that's ok. But, in those cases where you can't find a specific thing contrasting with what God said, you say it's not true. So, wouldn't it follow if you can't find a statement contrasting with polygamy, it's not true that God is against it?

However, God did say not to kill. So what should we make of that in light of your above comments?

As far the other, besides what Tom answered, what about the other post, #123169, explaining a reason? As in, ideally.

Why do you think I didn't answer your question?

Kland, I'm not as smart as some people. Please be patient with me. Again, I cannot discern an answer to the following question from you've posted so far - Do you believe God commanded Moses to stone sinners to death? Consider the following passage, "And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses."

PS - A simple yer or no answer would be helpful.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123226
02/05/10 06:30 PM
02/05/10 06:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

M: In saying “no” are you saying Jesus did not command His people to execute capital punishment? And, do you believe there was nothing wrong with Him commanding it or with His people executing it?

T: Please read what I wrote above.

I did read it, which is why asked the questions. And I’ve reread it, and I’m still unsure of your answer to the questions above. Is it possible for you to simply say, Yes, Jesus commanded Moses to stone sinners to death? And then you could go on to explain why you think He did so. Would you be willing to do this for me?

Quote:

M: I’m sorry, Tom, but your answer is unclear to me. I cannot discern from it if you believe Jesus commanded His people to get divorced, to have more than one spouse, to have a king, or to obey the law in their own strength, or if He would have viewed it as rebellion if they refused to do these things? In saying He “permitted” it are you saying He didn’t command it?

T: I'm saying that God permitted it, that it wasn't His ideal will, and if wish to know God's ideal will, look to Christ.

Thank you for verifying you believe Jesus permitted the COI to do the things you named above. However, it is still unclear to me if you believe Jesus commanded them to do such things, and if He would have considered it an act of rebellion if they refused to obey Him. Would you be willing to answer these questions for me? It would be greatly helpful.

Quote:
M: However, in this thread we’re discussing capital punishment. So, the question is - Do you believe Jesus commanded His people to execute capital punishment? Or, do you think He merely permitted it? Please consider the following passage: “And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses.”

T: I believe Christ's attitude towards capital punishment was made clear in His dealings of the woman caught in adultery.

Thank you for confirming your view of the woman taken in adultery. However, it doesn’t answer my question, namely, do you think Jesus commanded Moses to stone sinners to death? I haven’t read where you answered this question clearly enough for me conclude what you believe.

Quote:

M: You didn’t answer the question. Did Jesus command or permit His people to do things that were wrong or sinful?

T: God permitted certain things because of the hardness of people's hearts. Remember the story of the hunter father who was constrained to give certain counsel to his son which could have been misunderstood by someone listening in to their conversation? To get God's view of things, we should look to Christ. How He treated the woman caught in adultery, how He responded to the disciples when they suggested destroying the Samaritans with fire from heaven, gives us understanding of how God views these things.

Yes, I remember the story of the humane hunter. But the same question applies – Did the father counsel his son to do something wrong or sinful? More particularly, though, I would like to know if you believe Jesus commanded Moses to do something wrong or sinful when He commanded him to stone sinners to death?

Quote:

M: You didn’t answer the question. Do you think Jesus would have pardoned the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer and sent them on their way with instruction not to sin again if it weren’t for His stiff-necked people?

T: I think He would have treated them the same way He taught the woman caught in adultery.

Thank you for answering my question. Now, for another question – Do you think the people who inquired of Jesus if the adulteress should be stoned to death were less stiff-necked than Moses when he inquired of Jesus if the sinners should be stoned to death?

Quote:

M: Yes, I was referring to the final judgment. Do you agree He didn’t come to execute the final judgment? By the way, do you think He came the first time to execute some other judgment?

T: Regarding the first question, didn't I just answer this? ("No, it didn't.") Regarding the second: “And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.”

Good, I’m glad we agree Jesus did not come to execute the final judgment or to execute any kind of punitive judgment. Which leads me to ask another question – What do you think we can learn about the execution of the final judgment from what Jesus did while He was here in the flesh? For example, in the OT Jesus withdrew His protection and permitted sinners to suffer punitive judgment and then die. Since He didn’t do anything like this while here in the flesh, what can we learn about the final judgment from what He did do?

Quote:

M: So, yes, do you believe Jesus used the OT to explain the final judgment. Did Jesus have to add information not in the OT in order to explain the truth about it?

T: Jesus had to explain what the OT meant, if that's what you're asking. Also Jesus imparted knowledge that hadn't been seen or known before.

Do you think Jesus had to impart knowledge not in the OT because the OT was unclear or confusing regarding the truth about the final judgment? By the way, where in the OT does God describe the final judgment? And, do you think it is clear enough to discern the truth about it?

Quote:

For example, let's say I did something which you misinterpreted, and were made at me for years. I haven't done anything wrong, but you have wronged me. But I don't hold anything against you, and forgive you for being angry at me. This is one aspect. For our relationship to be healed, you must recognize that I haven't done anything wrong, and that you were at fault, and ask my forgiveness. Since I've already forgiven you in my heart, my saying "Yes, I forgive you," is simply my communicating to you what I was already feeling before you asked me. But you can't experience my forgiveness unless you acknowledge your error and ask to be forgiven. Regarding the second question, yes, of course. This is the way God treats people.

M: I hear you saying Jesus has forgiven everyone, but we must acknowledge and accept it before we are truly forgiven in the salvation sense. But then your answer to the second question seems to say, yes, God forgave everyone involved in crucifying Jesus and treats them “as if they never sinned”. Which means, of course, they will go to heaven with Jesus when He returns. Is this what you believe?

T: No. I don't know how to respond beyond this, other than I have no clue as to how you could get that conclusion from what I wrote above. Actually, in thinking about it, I can infer some things. It seems that you're question is assuming that one's character has nothing to do with whether or not one should go to heaven, but only God's feelings towards the person in terms of forgiveness. Is this correct? Otherwise your question makes no sense me. Assuming this is the case, I disagree with this idea, but feel instead that our character is of vital importance in this matter.

Let me see if I understand what you believe. When Jesus told God to forgive everyone involved in killing Him you believe God did indeed forgive them, that God had already forgiven them, that they were born forgiven, that God is forgiving, therefore, He forgives everyone. However, God being forgiving is not the same thing as sinners being saved. It doesn’t mean they will go to heaven based on that alone. To go to heaven, they must have characters consistent with those deserving of a place in heaven.

If this is what you’re saying, what, then, do you think we can learn about the final judgment from the fact Jesus told God to forgive those who were killing Him? In judgment, as advocate, will Jesus plead with God to forgive the wicked? And, will He plead with God to save the wicked?

Quote:

M: Do you believe the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer would have repented had Jesus commanded Moses to forgive them? And, do you think they will be in heaven because Jesus knows it was in their heart to repent?

T: One could say that their actions do not give their impression, but I don't see how one could go beyond that. I wouldn't have any way of knowing what was in their heart, would I? Man looks at the outward man, but God looks at the heart.

Does the SOP shed any light on the question of whether or not the Sabbath-breaker or the blasphemer will be in heaven? What about the following insights?

Quote:
Soon after the return into the wilderness, an instance of Sabbath violation occurred, under circumstances that rendered it a case of peculiar guilt. The Lord's announcement that He would disinherit Israel had roused a spirit of rebellion. One of the people, angry at being excluded from Canaan, and determined to show his defiance of God's law, ventured upon the open transgression of the fourth commandment by going out to gather sticks upon the Sabbath. During the sojourn in the wilderness the kindling of fires upon the seventh day had been strictly prohibited. The prohibition was not to extend to the land of Canaan, where the severity of the climate would often render fires a necessity; but in the wilderness, fire was not needed for warmth. The act of this man was a willful and deliberate violation of the fourth commandment--a sin, not of thoughtlessness or ignorance, but of presumption. {PP 408.4}

He was taken in the act and brought before Moses. It had already been declared that Sabbathbreaking should be punished with death, but it had not yet been revealed how the penalty was to be inflicted. The case was brought by Moses before the Lord, and the direction was given, "The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp." Numbers 15:35. The sins of blasphemy and willful Sabbathbreaking received the same punishment, being equally an expression of contempt for the authority of God. {PP 409.1}

In our day there are many who reject the creation Sabbath as a Jewish institution and urge that if it is to be kept, the penalty of death must be inflicted for its violation; but we see that blasphemy received the same punishment as did Sabbathbreaking. Shall we therefore conclude that the third commandment also is to be set aside as applicable only to the Jews? Yet the argument drawn from the death penalty applies to the third, the fifth, and indeed to nearly all the ten precepts, equally with the fourth. Though God may not now punish the transgression of His law with temporal penalties, yet His word declares that the wages of sin is death; and in the final execution of the judgment it will be found that death is the portion of those who violate His sacred precepts. {PP 409.2}

Based on the insights quoted above, do you think the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer will be in heaven? Do you think their characters indicated that they would be happy in heaven?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123231
02/05/10 08:04 PM
02/05/10 08:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I did read it, which is why asked the questions. And I’ve reread it, and I’m still unsure of your answer to the questions above. Is it possible for you to simply say, Yes, Jesus commanded Moses to stone sinners to death? And then you could go on to explain why you think He did so. Would you be willing to do this for me?

According to how you would understand the phrase, no, it's not possible. I've tried to explain how I understand it by saying it's similar in character to His counsel on the other items I mentioned. I think the reason for His actions was similar for capital punishment/polygamy/divorce. I think His ideal will was revealed in Christ.

You repeated your question, so I'm omitting that.

You repeated it again, so I'm omitting that too.

You repeated it yet again, so I'm omitting that too, except to point out that we've had long discussions regarding polygamy in regards to this very question.

Quote:
Thank you for answering my question. Now, for another question – Do you think the people who inquired of Jesus if the adulteress should be stoned to death were less stiff-necked than Moses when he inquired of Jesus if the sinners should be stoned to death?

I think the circumstances were different in that Jesus Christ was present in the flesh, with the explicit mission to reveal the Father to us.

Quote:
Good, I’m glad we agree Jesus did not come to execute the final judgment or to execute any kind of punitive judgment.

I still don't understand why you asked this. Surely you know that the final judgment is yet future, whereas Jesus Christ came 2,000 years ago. So why are you asking if something you know is yet future happened 2,000 years ago.

Quote:
Which leads me to ask another question – What do you think we can learn about the execution of the final judgment from what Jesus did while He was here in the flesh? For example, in the OT Jesus withdrew His protection and permitted sinners to suffer punitive judgment and then die. Since He didn’t do anything like this while here in the flesh, what can we learn about the final judgment from what He did do?

MM, Jesus Christ was here in the flesh while with us, and wasn't acting in the capacity of protector/sustainer as He did at other times. This has been pointing out. I'm puzzled as to why you're bringing this up again. This has already been discussed.

Regarding what Christ did to help understand these things, the principle thing was the purpose of His mission, which was to reveal God. By understand a person's character, we gain insights into how the person thinks and acts.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123238
02/06/10 03:26 AM
02/06/10 03:26 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you agree the following passage says God (Jesus) commanded Moses and the COI to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death?

Numbers
15:32 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
15:33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
15:34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
15:36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123239
02/06/10 03:28 AM
02/06/10 03:28 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please finish addressing 123226 (my previous post). Thank you.

Page 2 of 20 1 2 3 4 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!