HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 97 of 105 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123395
02/18/10 07:50 PM
02/18/10 07:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Do you think saying "Jesus' heart gave out" is the precise, exact same thing as saying "Jesus died of a broken heart"? And, if you believe the wicked will die the exact same death Jesus did it stands to reason you believe their heart will give out. Why do you think their heart will give out?

I think you're focusing on the wrong thing here. I haven't thought along the lines you are suggesting, nor do I see the need to.

Do you believe Jesus died of heart failure due to a broken heart? If so, do you believe the wicked will die of the same thing?

PS - Please answer yes or no first, and then explain your answer. Thank you.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123396
02/18/10 07:55 PM
02/18/10 07:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. Tom, do you think Jesus' humanity prevented His character from causing sinners to be consumed to death? If so, please explain how and why.

2. If, as you say, God would not have to be physically present for His character to cause sinners to suffer and die during the final judgment, do you think Jesus' character was sufficient to cause sinners to suffer and die without Him having to be physically present?

3. How and why does the character of God cause sinners to suffer and die according to their sinfulness?

4. Is it necessary for the wicked to comprehend the character of God in order to suffer and die?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123397
02/18/10 08:37 PM
02/18/10 08:37 PM
RLH  Offline
Active Member 2010
Posting New Member
North Carolina, USA
Very good questions Mountain Man.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #123398
02/18/10 08:55 PM
02/18/10 08:55 PM
RLH  Offline
Active Member 2010
Posting New Member
North Carolina, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Is there something wrong with him liking this quote?
Does it apply towards the judgment?

He uses it to try to show that God will not do what He has said He will do, which is destroy the wicked after the final judgment.

Behold ye! said the angel, the saints sit in judgment, in unison with Jesus, and mete out to each of the wicked, according to the deeds done in the body, and it is set off against their names, what they must receive at the execution of the judgment. This, I saw, was the work of the saints with Jesus, in the Holy City before it descends to the earth, through the 1000 years. {ExV 33]

Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. {EW 294}

Rev 20:9 And they went up over the breadth of the earth, and encircled the camp of the saints, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: RLH] #123419
02/19/10 04:08 AM
02/19/10 04:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Do you believe Jesus died of heart failure due to a broken heart? If so, do you believe the wicked will die of the same thing?

You've asked this many times, and I've answered it many times. Don't you remember what was said?

Welcome back, by the way.

Quote:
1. Tom, do you think Jesus' humanity prevented His character from causing sinners to be consumed to death? If so, please explain how and why.

You asked this too, and I answered it.

Quote:
2. If, as you say, God would not have to be physically present for His character to cause sinners to suffer and die during the final judgment, do you think Jesus' character was sufficient to cause sinners to suffer and die without Him having to be physically present?

You should quote what I said. What you're saying I said is not what I actually said. Your whole question it based on false assumptions from beginning to end.

I'll quote from Ty Gibson to explain what I believe.

Quote:
3. How and why does the character of God cause sinners to suffer and die according to their sinfulness?

I'll quote from Ty.

Quote:
4. Is it necessary for the wicked to comprehend the character of God in order to suffer and die?

You've asked this before too, many times, and each time I've explained that this is not necessary. Your question is assuming a false premise.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123420
02/19/10 04:12 AM
02/19/10 04:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ty Gibson

When Moses reminded Israel of when God gave them His holy law, he said of the Lord, „He shined ... from his right hand went a fiery law for them. Yea, he loved the people” (Deuteronomy 33:2, 3). “And the sight of the glory of the Lord was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel” (Exodus 24:17). “For the Lord thy God is a consuming fire” (Deuteronomy 4:24). Paul made the same kind of parallel between God and fire: “Our God is a consuming fire” (Hebrews 12:29).

We are not to conclude from such texts that God is composed in nature of literal fire. But rather, as Moses said, his glory is “like devouring fire . . . in the eyes” of human beings. God’s law is fiery; His glory is like a devouring fire; and His love is like an unquenchable fire. In what sense? In that the righteousness of God’s character of love stands in distinct contrast to our sinful selfishness.

The use of the words consuming and devouring indicate the reality that God’s righteous love not only exposes sin, it destroys it like darkness vanishes before the greater power of light. God’s love is wholly incompatible with sin. Whenever the two meet in close proximity, the lesser is consumed by the greater. With unrelenting passion, love devours all that is sinful an selfish. To sin, wherever found, God is a consuming fire by virtue of who and what He is in character.

It is for this very reason that God has hidden Himself behind the subduing veil that is Christ. In Jesus we see the sunlight, as it were, without looking directly into the sun; we see the attractive beauty of God’s character in bearable splendor, without having to face the full brilliance of divine glory before we can survive it. As we come to know God in Christ, the heat of His glorious love slowly turned up to consume away our sin with merciful, healing gentleness. As we see Him more and more clearly, we see ourselves in ugly contrast with progressive clarity as well. With each sensitizing revelation we have the opportunity to dive deeper into the flame, to be “washed . . . by the spirit [the mental process[ of judgment [discernment] and by the spirit of burning” (Isaiah 4:4, NKJV). “The path of the just is like the shining sun, shat shines ever brighter unto the perfect day” (Proverbs 4:18, NKJV).” “’For He is like a refiner’s fire and like launderer’s soap’” (Malachi 3:2, NKJV).

Christianity is intended to be an ever-deepening journey into the heart of God, by which the beholding of His glory gradually transforms the believer into the same character likeness (2 Cor. 3:18). For those who persist in sin to the ruin of their inner capacity to discern and reflect God’s love, that fire of divine love which would have cleansed them will, on the day of final reckoning, ignite in their souls a destructive measure of shame and guilt. The glory of Him who is love will be more than the conscience can bear.

On the day of unveiled encounter, they will experience psychological and emotional meltdown in God’s immediate presence. “’For behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven, and all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up.’ Says the Lord of hosts,’ That will leave them neither root nor branch. But to you who fear My name [love My character] the Sun of Righteousness shall arise with healing in His wings [in the rays of light that emanate from Him]’ “(Malachi 4:1, 2, NKJC). Everyone will eventually meet God in all the radiance of His glorious love. Some will be consumed, while others are healed by the very same encounter.

The love of which Solomon speaks—strong as death, relentless as the grave, and as unquenchable as the fire of God’s glory—was manifested in Christ. At Gethsemane and Calvary we behold God’s love put to the severest test and emerging from the fire victorious over the law of sin and death. In a word, the sufferings of Jesus consisted of a raw encounter with reality. He entered into the uncharted realm of total truth, both about God and about fallen mankind. He experienced perfect consciousness of God’s holy love in contrast to our sinful selfishness.

In His mind and heart He faced, with painful acuity, the full reality of human wickedness being consumed by the holiness of God. When the two realities reached their zenith point in His consciousness, they clashed for the mastery, and God’s love was victorious. He chose to resist “the law of sin and death” and to keep tight hold of the principle of selfless love. Sinful humanity died in the death of Christ and an entirely new humanity emerged triumphant over sin an drenched in the blood of relentless love.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123422
02/19/10 04:19 AM
02/19/10 04:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, your quote from GC 543 is saying what WOULD happen if they were allowed into heaven in their sinful condition.

the glory of God WOULD be a consuming fire. They WOULD long to flee from that holy place. {GC 543}

Down at the bottom of page 543, it tells what will actually happen: It is in mercy to the universe that God will finally destroy the rejecters of His grace. {GC 543}

If you look at the two quotes you used in their context you will see that they are not dealing with the destruction of the wicked at the end of time. There are some that do though. here are a couple of them. They coincide with what the Bible says on this subject.

Here's the quote in context:

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God
executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. He surrounds them with the tokens of His love, He grants them a knowledge of His law, and follows them with the offers of His mercy; but they despise His love, make void His law, and reject His mercy. While constantly receiving His gifts, they dishonor the Giver; they hate God because they know that He abhors their sins. The Lord bears long with their perversity; but the decisive hour will come at last, when their destiny is to be decided. Will He then chain these rebels to His side? Will He force them to do His will? {GC 541.4}

Those who have chosen Satan as their leader and have been controlled by his power are not prepared to enter the presence of God. Pride, deception, licentiousness, cruelty, have become fixed in their characters. Can they enter heaven to dwell forever with those whom they despised and hated on earth? Truth will never be agreeable to a liar; meekness will not satisfy self-esteem and pride; purity is not acceptable to the corrupt; disinterested love does not appear attractive to the selfish. What source of enjoyment could heaven offer to those who are wholly absorbed in earthly and selfish interests? {GC 542.1}

Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation
were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. {GC 542.2}

Like the waters of the Flood the fires of the great day declare God's verdict that the wicked are incurable. They have no disposition to submit to divine authority. Their will has been exercised in revolt; and when life is ended, it is too late to turn the current of their thoughts in the opposite direction, too late to turn from transgression to obedience, from hatred to love. {GC 543.1}

In sparing the life of Cain the murderer, God gave the world an example of what would be the result of permitting the sinner to live to continue a course of unbridled iniquity. Through the influence of Cain's teaching and example, multitudes of his descendants were led into sin, until "the wickedness of man was great in the earth" and "every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." "The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence." Genesis 6:5, 11. {GC 543.2}

In mercy to the world, God blotted out its wicked inhabitants in Noah's time. In mercy He destroyed the corrupt dwellers in Sodom. Through the deceptive power of Satan the workers of iniquity obtain sympathy and admiration, and are thus constantly leading others to rebellion. It was so in Cain's and in Noah's day, and in the time of Abraham and Lot; it is so in our time. It is in mercy to the universe that God will finally destroy the rejecters of His grace.{GC 543.3}

"The wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23. While life is the inheritance of the righteous, death is the portion of the wicked. Moses declared to Israel: "I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil." Deuteronomy 30:15. The death referred to in these scriptures is not that pronounced upon Adam, for all mankind suffer the penalty of his transgression. It is "the second death" that is placed in contrast with everlasting life. {GC 544.1}

I'm asking this yet again, just what do you think this quote is dealing with if not the destruction of the wicked?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123435
02/19/10 06:37 PM
02/19/10 06:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Do you believe Jesus died of heart failure due to a broken heart? If so, do you believe the wicked will die of the same thing?

T: You've asked this many times, and I've answered it many times. Don't you remember what was said? Welcome back, by the way.

Thank you. It's good to be back. Yes, I recall you saying some people believe Jesus died of heart failure due to a broken heart. However, you have yet to say if you're one of them. Are you? And, do you believe the wicked will the die of the same cause?

Quote:

T: You asked this too, and I answered it.

You mentioned that at times divinity flashed through humanity. However, you have yet to address the question above.

Quote:

T: You should quote what I said. What you're saying I said is not what I actually said. Your whole question it based on false assumptions from beginning to end. I'll quote from Ty Gibson to explain what I believe.

You said God wouldn't have to be physically present because the issue is spiritual not physical. Let's look it at from a practical view point. Jesus raises the wicked. They resume with the same thoughts and feelings they had before they died. Are you saying this is a spiritual state? And, do you think they are capable of comprehending the character of God and suffering and dying according to their sinfulness without Jesus doing anything else? That is, do you think Jesus need only resurrect them and everything else will play out naturally without Jesus doing anything else?

Quote:

T: I'll quote from Ty.

Quoting from Ty hasn't been helpful in the past.

Quote:

T: You've asked this before too, many times, and each time I've explained that this is not necessary. Your question is assuming a false premise.

If comprehending the character of God is unnecessary to suffer and die, why, then, will they suffer and die? What role, if any, will the character of God play in the suffering and death of the wicked? In what sense is God a consuming fire? In what sense will He destroy them? Please consider the following insights when answering these questions:

Quote:
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. . . . But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123445
02/20/10 01:15 AM
02/20/10 01:15 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Thank you. It's good to be back. Yes, I recall you saying some people believe Jesus died of heart failure due to a broken heart. However, you have yet to say if you're one of them. Are you? And, do you believe the wicked will the die of the same cause?

First I answered this by quoting DA:

Quote:
Satan with his fierce temptations wrung the heart of Jesus. The Saviour could not see through the portals of the tomb. Hope did not present to Him His coming forth from the grave a conqueror, or tell Him of the Father's acceptance of the sacrifice. He feared that sin was so offensive to God that Their separation was to be eternal. Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race. It was the sense of sin, bringing the Father's wrath upon Him as man's substitute, that made the cup He drank so bitter, and broke the heart of the Son of God. {DA 753.2}

I said it seems clear to me that this is saying that Jesus Christ died because His heart was broken. I added that some people see this from Scripture as well.

Remember that Christ almost died in Gethsemane, and would have died had not the angel God sent strengthened Him.

Quote:

You mentioned that at times divinity flashed through humanity. However, you have yet to address the question above.

No, I answered this. Ty addressed this in his post. I pointed this out to you. Do you want me to repost it?

Quote:

T: You should quote what I said. What you're saying I said is not what I actually said. Your whole question it based on false assumptions from beginning to end. I'll quote from Ty Gibson to explain what I believe.

You said God wouldn't have to be physically present because the issue is spiritual not physical.

This is part of what I said. I was dealing with the fact that the revelation of God is a spiritual thing, which happens in the mind, and that if this were not the case then those who could not see, such as the blind, would not be impacted. But all will "see" Christ, and will see the revelation which occurs in the judgment. It's a phenomena which occurs in the mind.

This was my main point.

I made the incidental point that God would be able to do this from heaven, as God is able to reveal Himself to us now, and does so, even though He is in heaven. So God's physical presence is not necessary in order for Him to reveal Himself.

This was an incidental point, and not the main point, but an illustration of that point. You keep coming back to this, without mentioning the point. That's what gives the impression I'm saying something I'm not saying.

I hope this is clear.

Quote:
Let's look it at from a practical view point. Jesus raises the wicked. They resume with the same thoughts and feelings they had before they died. Are you saying this is a spiritual state? And, do you think they are capable of comprehending the character of God and suffering and dying according to their sinfulness without Jesus doing anything else? That is, do you think Jesus need only resurrect them and everything else will play out naturally without Jesus doing anything else?

I think what happens happens in the mind, as a revelation of God.

In the vision of Ellen White's, she speaks of how the scenes of Christ appear, and how the law appears in fiery letters, and the lost become aware of every sin they have committed. I don't believe this is literally true, for a number of reasons, but believe the symbols bring out truths, which I'll explain.

First of all, why isn't it literally true? For one thing, if the law were written in fiery letters, what language would it be written in? The only language that makes sense is Hebrew, but few people understand Hebrew, so this would be meaningless for the vast majority.

One could respond that God would miraculously make the letters appear to be whatever language the person understands, but some people can't read at all, and if God is going to make the letters be interpreted in the language one can understand, then God is communicating directly with the mind of each individual, which is what I believe is actually happening. I believe the presentation of the truths outlined is individualized for each person there.

For example, consider the scenes of the life of Christ. Most people don't even know who Christ was, let alone the meaning of the scenes of His life. They would have to be given some sort of context to understand these things. Some education would have to be involved. This involves communication with the mind again, in an individual fashion.

Finally consider the fact that a person is made aware of all of their sins. If this is done all at once, it's not a meaningful experience. However, if one's life is considered moment by moment, it's meaningful, and the idea of proportional suffering makes sense.

We're told that each one will be present at the throne of Christ, and that each one individually will need to make an accounting of their decisions in life. This again points to individualized communication in the judgment, between God and each individual lost person.

I think God will go through the lives of each one, point by point, showing where He was present by means of the Holy Spirit, showing the significance of the decisions made by each one, the rejection of Christ, the impact on the lives of others, each important event in the person's life in its true bearing.

This will cause suffering, and it will be proportional to the sin committed and the light rejected.

Quote:

Quoting from Ty hasn't been helpful in the past.

I think if you read what he wrote carefully, and considered it, it would be helpful.

Quote:

T: You've asked this before too, many times, and each time I've explained that this is not necessary. Your question is assuming a false premise.

M:If comprehending the character of God is unnecessary to suffer and die, why, then, will they suffer and die?

You're not understanding the difference between necessity and sufficiency. You're confusing the too. What the wicked go through is sufficient to cause them suffering, but not necessary, as they could suffer in other ways.

Quote:
What role, if any, will the character of God play in the suffering and death of the wicked?

Consider the Ty quote please.

Quote:
In what sense is God a consuming fire?

Consider the Ty quote please.

Quote:
In what sense will He destroy them?

As DA 764 explains. Also Ty's quote.

Quote:
Please consider the following insights when answering these questions:

I think the answer to this is found in continuing the quote. I may have some more regarding this. That is, in regards to the brightness of His coming.

Quote:
"Then shall they that obey not the gospel be consumed with the spirit of His mouth, and be destroyed with the brightness of His coming. Like Israel of old, the wicked destroy themselves; they fall by their iniquity. By a life of sin, they have placed themselves so out of harmony with God, their natures have become so debased with evil, that the manifestation of His glory is to them a consuming fire." The Great Controversy, 37.
That this statement is a direct explanation of the verse under study is clear from the fact that firstly the text is quoted, and then comment is made upon it. Therein, it is affirmed that the wicked destroy themselves. It is not the work of God but their own. They have sown the seed and they must reap the harvest.

Most significant, is the parallel drawn between the way in which Israel perished and the destruction in the last days. As the one perished, so will the other. This is to indicate that the Israelites were likewise destroyed with the brightness of His coming. This is true, for that is exactly how they did come to their end. It may be immediately objected that Jesus did not come with outshining glory at His first advent. Furthermore, He was far away in the distant heavens when the Jews met their fate, so there is no visible evidence of their having been consumed with the brightness of His glory. Such an interpretation depends on the understanding of what the brightness of His glory is and how humans are consumed by it. Defining that expression is the key to solving the problem.
The factor which above all others brought the Jews to their untimely end, was the manifestation of the brightness of God's character-glory in Christ. Before Christ came, the Jews were in a serious state of apostasy, but, even so, were not totally separated from God, for they had not taken the final steps in rebellion. But, as the light of Christ's glorious character shone on them, they were driven to desperate lengths of resistance until they were pushed to the extremes of apostasy. God did not intend that such be the result of this revelation, but once they determined on rejection of Him, it became the only possible outworking of that decision. They were destroyed, and it was by the brightness of His coming.

The sequence then was as follows:
The Jews were in a state of apostasy.

Christ shone on them the brightness of His coming, the glory of His character.

The actual destruction was accomplished by the unleashed natural forces.

In the sacred writings, both of these forces are described.

There we can read of Christ's coming, of the Jews' reaction, and of the separation of the Spirit of God from them.

Then we can read of the destructive work accomplished by the outrage of human passion no longer under divine restraint.

In exactly the same way, there is recorded the identical procedure which leads to the destruction of the wicked in the final overthrow of mankind.

They will be in a state of deep apostasy.

The brightness of His coming will be revealed to them in the loud cry.

Their rejection of this influence will drive them to separate themselves from God's protection.

The actual destruction to befall them will be accomplished by the unleashing of the wild passions within them and by the unrestrained forces of nature.

Basically then, it is the brightness of His coming which destroys them but not in the sense that they are struck down by it. That is left to the unrestrained forces in man and nature, the destruction from which the brightness of His coming would have saved them if they had related to it correctly.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123457
02/20/10 07:15 PM
02/20/10 07:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Yes, I recall you saying some people believe Jesus died of heart failure due to a broken heart. However, you have yet to say if you're one of them. Are you? And, do you believe the wicked will the die of the same cause?

T: I said it seems clear to me that this is saying that Jesus Christ died because His heart was broken. I added that some people see this from Scripture as well. Remember that Christ almost died in Gethsemane, and would have died had not the angel God sent strengthened Him.

Thank you for answering my first question. I hear you saying, yes, Jesus died of heart failure due to a broken heart. “Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, also known as transient apical ballooning syndrome, apical ballooning cardiomyopathy, stress-induced cardiomyopathy, broken-heart-syndrome, and simply stress cardiomyopathy, is a type of non-ischemic cardiomyopathy in which there is a sudden temporary weakening of the myocardium (the muscle of the heart). Because this weakening can be triggered by emotional stress, such as the death of a loved one, the condition is also known as broken heart syndrome.”

And the reason Jesus did not die in Gethsemane of takotsubo cardiomyopathy is due to the fact an angel worked to prevent it. However, the second question remains unanswered, namely, since you believe Jesus demonstrated how and why the wicked will die do you also believe angels will work during the final judgment to prevent the wicked from dying prematurely of broken heart syndrome? If so, why will they work to prevent them from dying prematurely? To what purpose will it serve? And, what will they experience that will cause them to die of broken heart syndrome? What will break their heart?

Quote:

M: You mentioned that at times divinity flashed through humanity. However, you have yet to address the question above.

T: No, I answered this. Ty addressed this in his post. I pointed this out to you. Do you want me to repost it?

It would help me greatly if you were to summarize your view in the simplest of terms. I didn’t find Ty’s words helpful. I’m trying to figure out why you believe Jesus’ character did not consume the sinners with whom He came into contact. Did His humanity veil His character? If so, how did it veil it? If not, what prevented His character from consuming sinners to death? Do you believe His character will play a part in why sinners suffer and die during the final judgment? If so, how and why will it cause them to suffer and to die?

Quote:

M: You said God wouldn't have to be physically present because the issue is spiritual not physical.

T: This is part of what I said. I was dealing with the fact that the revelation of God is a spiritual thing, which happens in the mind, and that if this were not the case then those who could not see, such as the blind, would not be impacted. But all will "see" Christ, and will see the revelation which occurs in the judgment. It's a phenomena which occurs in the mind. This was my main point.

I made the incidental point that God would be able to do this from heaven, as God is able to reveal Himself to us now, and does so, even though He is in heaven. So God's physical presence is not necessary in order for Him to reveal Himself. This was an incidental point, and not the main point, but an illustration of that point. You keep coming back to this, without mentioning the point. That's what gives the impression I'm saying something I'm not saying. I hope this is clear.

Ellen wrote that Satan will heal the wicked. “He makes the weak strong and inspires all with his own spirit and energy. He proposes to lead them against the camp of the saints and to take possession of the City of God.” {GC 663.1} Do you think he will be unable to “make” them see? Also, how do you think God will spiritually reveal Himself to the wicked? How do you think they will perceive what He is revealing to them? If, as you say, God reveals Himself to us now, why doesn’t it cause us to suffer and to die like it will the wicked during the final judgment? What makes the difference?

Quote:
M: Let's look it at from a practical view point. Jesus raises the wicked. They resume with the same thoughts and feelings they had before they died. Are you saying this is a spiritual state? And, do you think they are capable of comprehending the character of God and suffering and dying according to their sinfulness without Jesus doing anything else? That is, do you think Jesus need only resurrect them and everything else will play out naturally without Jesus doing anything else?

T: I think what happens happens in the mind, as a revelation of God. In the vision of Ellen White's, she speaks of how the scenes of Christ appear, and how the law appears in fiery letters, and the lost become aware of every sin they have committed. I don't believe this is literally true, for a number of reasons, but believe the symbols bring out truths, which I'll explain.

First of all, why isn't it literally true? For one thing, if the law were written in fiery letters, what language would it be written in? The only language that makes sense is Hebrew, but few people understand Hebrew, so this would be meaningless for the vast majority.

One could respond that God would miraculously make the letters appear to be whatever language the person understands, but some people can't read at all, and if God is going to make the letters be interpreted in the language one can understand, then God is communicating directly with the mind of each individual, which is what I believe is actually happening. I believe the presentation of the truths outlined is individualized for each person there.

For example, consider the scenes of the life of Christ. Most people don't even know who Christ was, let alone the meaning of the scenes of His life. They would have to be given some sort of context to understand these things. Some education would have to be involved. This involves communication with the mind again, in an individual fashion.

Finally consider the fact that a person is made aware of all of their sins. If this is done all at once, it's not a meaningful experience. However, if one's life is considered moment by moment, it's meaningful, and the idea of proportional suffering makes sense.

We're told that each one will be present at the throne of Christ, and that each one individually will need to make an accounting of their decisions in life. This again points to individualized communication in the judgment, between God and each individual lost person.

I think God will go through the lives of each one, point by point, showing where He was present by means of the Holy Spirit, showing the significance of the decisions made by each one, the rejection of Christ, the impact on the lives of others, each important event in the person's life in its true bearing. This will cause suffering, and it will be proportional to the sin committed and the light rejected.

I’m happy to learn you believe each person will experience judgment in an individualized manner, that they will experience the full result of each sin as they revisit them one at a time. Whether or not your version of it or Ellen’s description of it is correct is yet to be seen. Nevertheless, it’s nice to know you believe it will happen on an individual basis. However, there’s one thing I still don’t understand, namely, do you believe they will have this experience naturally after Jesus resurrects them? Or, do you believe Jesus will have to do something so that they can experience revisiting their sins and suffer and die accordingly?

Quote:

T: Quoting from Ty hasn't been helpful in the past.

T: I think if you read what he wrote carefully, and considered it, it would be helpful.

I did read it and it wasn’t helpful. It would be helpful if you would simply explain what you believe in the simplest of terms. Your detailed explanation above did not mention anything about the role God’s character will play in their suffering and death. Nor did you say what they will die of (broken heart syndrome like Jesus or something else).

Quote:

M: If comprehending the character of God is unnecessary to suffer and die, why, then, will they suffer and die?

T: You're not understanding the difference between necessity and sufficiency. You're confusing the too. What the wicked go through is sufficient to cause them suffering, but not necessary, as they could suffer in other ways.

Above you said revisiting their sins in judgment will cause them to suffer (although you came short of saying it will cause them to die). You also failed to say if Jesus will have to do anything, other than resurrect them, for them to suffer and die. Finally, you haven’t explained what role God’s character will play, if any, as to how and why they will suffer and die. It would be very helpful if you would explain these things.

Quote:
M: What role, if any, will the character of God play in the suffering and death of the wicked? In what sense is God a consuming fire? In what sense will He destroy them?

T: As DA 764 explains. Also Ty's quote. "Then shall they that obey not the gospel be consumed with the spirit of His mouth, and be destroyed with the brightness of His coming. Like Israel of old, the wicked destroy themselves; they fall by their iniquity. By a life of sin, they have placed themselves so out of harmony with God, their natures have become so debased with evil, that the manifestation of His glory is to them a consuming fire." The Great Controversy, 37.

“That this statement is a direct explanation of the verse under study is clear from the fact that firstly the text is quoted, and then comment is made upon it. Therein, it is affirmed that the wicked destroy themselves. It is not the work of God but their own. They have sown the seed and they must reap the harvest.

“Most significant, is the parallel drawn between the way in which Israel perished and the destruction in the last days. As the one perished, so will the other. This is to indicate that the Israelites were likewise destroyed with the brightness of His coming. This is true, for that is exactly how they did come to their end. It may be immediately objected that Jesus did not come with outshining glory at His first advent. Furthermore, He was far away in the distant heavens when the Jews met their fate, so there is no visible evidence of their having been consumed with the brightness of His glory. Such an interpretation depends on the understanding of what the brightness of His glory is and how humans are consumed by it. Defining that expression is the key to solving the problem.

“The factor which above all others brought the Jews to their untimely end, was the manifestation of the brightness of God's character-glory in Christ. Before Christ came, the Jews were in a serious state of apostasy, but, even so, were not totally separated from God, for they had not taken the final steps in rebellion. But, as the light of Christ's glorious character shone on them, they were driven to desperate lengths of resistance until they were pushed to the extremes of apostasy. God did not intend that such be the result of this revelation, but once they determined on rejection of Him, it became the only possible outworking of that decision. They were destroyed, and it was by the brightness of His coming.

The sequence then was as follows:
The Jews were in a state of apostasy.

Christ shone on them the brightness of His coming, the glory of His character.

The actual destruction was accomplished by the unleashed natural forces.

In the sacred writings, both of these forces are described.

There we can read of Christ's coming, of the Jews' reaction, and of the separation of the Spirit of God from them.

Then we can read of the destructive work accomplished by the outrage of human passion no longer under divine restraint.

In exactly the same way, there is recorded the identical procedure which leads to the destruction of the wicked in the final overthrow of mankind.

They will be in a state of deep apostasy.

The brightness of His coming will be revealed to them in the loud cry.

Their rejection of this influence will drive them to separate themselves from God's protection.

The actual destruction to befall them will be accomplished by the unleashing of the wild passions within them and by the unrestrained forces of nature.

Basically then, it is the brightness of His coming which destroys them but not in the sense that they are struck down by it. That is left to the unrestrained forces in man and nature, the destruction from which the brightness of His coming would have saved them if they had related to it correctly.

“The actual destruction to befall them will be accomplished by the unleashing of the wild passions within them and by the unrestrained forces of nature.” Do you believe it is the revelation of the glory of God’s character during the final judgment that will cause the “forces in man and nature” to cause the wicked to suffer and to die according to their sinfulness? And, do you believe this would happen naturally even if Jesus did not reveal the character of God during the final judgment? Also, what forces in man and nature will cause them to suffer and to die? Please name the forces you believe will be responsible for causing them to suffer and to die. By the way, who wrote what you quoted above?

Page 97 of 105 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!