HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123553
02/23/10 04:32 PM
02/23/10 04:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I appreciate the points you made above. Well done. Thank you.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #123564
02/23/10 08:59 PM
02/23/10 08:59 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
kland,

Are you supposing that the disciples and Elijah were birds of a feather in terms of their "spirit"?
Would this be as you would say?:
I'm just quoting the Bible, you aren't arguing with it are you?

Quote:
Now, let us suppose...
I'm not sure you should be one making analogies.

I never heard your response to your questions I answered regarding the abortion doctor and his killer. According to the answers, did either "murder"? Do you approve of either or both?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123565
02/23/10 09:05 PM
02/23/10 09:05 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Another question is - Did Jesus ever command someone to kill a sinner when in reality they were like the woman and deserving of forgiveness? I don't think so. What do you believe?

Quote:

Originally Posted By: Kland
You have indicated that Jesus would have wanted to kill someone but didn't have a good chance to.

Please apologize for making this slanderous comment. Thank you.

You are correct. Let me reword it:

You have indicated that Jesus would have wanted someone else to kill someone but didn't have a good chance to.

Which really does fits better since the disciples were asking to call down fire from heaven. Thank you for pointing out my error.

Now, can you fill that in and answer the question?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123568
02/23/10 10:07 PM
02/23/10 10:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
I agree Jesus did not intend for the rulers to kill her. However, the fact is, He told rulers who thought they were sinless to do it.

As I recall, Christ actually said, "Let he of you which is without sin cast the first stone." As I pointed out, this is a set with no members, which means that Christ told nobody to stone her.

Do you not understand this?

Quote:
In so doing He did not contradict the law. However, mercy is in keeping with the law. As such, Jesus did not disregard the law when He forgave her. Which came first, though, repentance or pardon? I believe Jesus forgave her because she was repentant.

She wasn't repentant. Not until after Christ spoke to her. It was His goodness that led her to repentance. Nobody repents without Christ's making the first move. If He hadn't pardoned us first, we'd all be dead.

Quote:
I do not, however, believe the Sabbath-breaker or the blasphemer were repentant. Therefore, Jesus commanded Moses to kill them. True, Jesus wished they were repentant so He could forgive them, but alas, they were unworthy and deserving of death. I believe Jesus would have treated the woman the same way had she been as unrepentant and rebellious as they were. You seem to think Jesus would have forgiven them the same as He forgave the woman had it not been for the hard-hearted Jews. I disagree. By the way, please apply my definition of pardon here.

Your definition doesn't apply here. Of course Jesus couldn't have pardoned the woman in the sense of having pardon written against her name without her repenting first. When Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more" this isn't pardon according to your definition that's being spoken of.

Regarding the rest of it, I think you're missing the whole point of what Jesus was about. He said one of the most beautiful things ever, in saying "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more." You're making this conditional upon the woman's goodness, but the whole point is that it was Jesus' goodness that led the woman to repentance, not the woman's goodness that led Jesus to not condemn her.

Quote:
Concerning whether or not you believe Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners, well, the truth is you are a logical and godly person, so, it is reasonable to me to conclude you believe what the Bible says, which is, "The Lord commanded Moses . . . to stone him with stones". True, we disagree as to why Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners, but the fact is too clear to misunderstand, namely, Jesus did indeed command Moses to kill sinners. It is also painfully clear that Moses would have incurred the wrath of God had he disobeyed Jesus and refused to kill them.

I appreciate your kind words, but we look at this incident very differently. I've mentioned the analogy of the father/hunter on a number of occasions. I see the incident like that.

Quote:
Another question is - Did Jesus ever command someone to kill a sinner when in reality they were like the woman and deserving of forgiveness?

The woman wasn't deserving of forgiveness. Christ acted the way He did towards her out of the goodness of His own heart, not out of any goodness on her part.

Quote:
I don't think so. What do you believe?

I believe that compelling power is found only under Satan's government. I believe Christ responded correctly when He told the disciples, "You know not of what spirit you are," when they suggested He destroy the Samaritans by setting them on fire.

God is not the destroyer. Satan is the destroyer. The Lord is the restorer.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123571
02/24/10 12:23 AM
02/24/10 12:23 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
kland,

Are you supposing that the disciples and Elijah were birds of a feather in terms of their "spirit"?
Would this be as you would say?:
I'm just quoting the Bible, you aren't arguing with it are you?

Quote:
Now, let us suppose...
I'm not sure you should be one making analogies.

I never heard your response to your questions I answered regarding the abortion doctor and his killer. According to the answers, did either "murder"? Do you approve of either or both?

kland,

If in your mind I'm not qualified to use an analogy in my post, why do you think I am qualified to respond to your analogy?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #123574
02/24/10 01:45 AM
02/24/10 01:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

If in your mind I'm not qualified to use an analogy in my post, why do you think I am qualified to respond to your analogy?

Why don't you answer his question? He's asked several times now.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123578
02/24/10 02:29 AM
02/24/10 02:29 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

I have answered his question already, but apparently he feels he has a good analogy that will undermine something of my belief, and so he has pushed it forward again. When I give a countering analogy, he tells me that I am not qualified to do so. If he will not respond to my analogy even once, I see no reason to continue responding to his analogy, which I already have answered at least once.

Tom, you are the one most famous on this forum for stating that you have already said such and so, and therefore avoid answering the present question. I should think it rather odd for you to become upset when I respond as you would. I should rather think you would be praising me for my wisdom. (Don't they say imitation is a form of flattery?) smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #123581
02/24/10 03:16 AM
02/24/10 03:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, you are the one most famous on this forum for stating that you have already said such and so, and therefore avoid answering the present question. I should think it rather odd for you to become upset when I respond as you would. I should rather think you would be praising me for my wisdom. (Don't they say imitation is a form of flattery?

You haven't been here very long. You asserting, wrongly, that I am "most famous" on this forum for stating that I have already said so and so, when I'm the one who most faithfully responds to other's posts. By far. The only one who comes even close to me in this regards is MM.

The only person I can recall saying I've already responded to a post to is MM, and that's only after he's asked the same question many dozens of times. I've been having these conversations with MM for years. He asks the same questions over and over again, dozens of times, and I answer them. Eventually I tire, and refer to posts I've already made, or quote someone else more eloquent than me, like Ty.

But this is light years away from your behavior, and as one who has something like 10 or 15% the posts I have, you're hardly qualified to comment on what I'm "most famous" for.

It would be nice if you could be famous for avoiding personal comments. You've already been corrected on this by a disinterested party. As a Moderator you should know better.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123583
02/24/10 05:06 AM
02/24/10 05:06 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom, please answer the following questions: Do I have your permission to conclude, yes, you believe Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners? And, can I conclude, yes, you believe Moses obeyed Jesus?

PS - Do you believe Jesus did not tell the rulers to stone the woman?
MM, I've answered the question the best I can. You have certain presuppositions, so I can't answer "yes" or "no" without buying into those.

Your answer, Tom, seems like a good one.

I've answered the question the best I can. You have certain presuppositions, so I can't answer "yes" or "no" without buying into those.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123584
02/24/10 05:08 AM
02/24/10 05:08 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
GC, I appreciate the points you made above. Well done. Thank you.

You're welcome. The truth is comforting, when seen in the correct light. When seen at the wrong angle, even truth can seem harmful or be construed as falsehood.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!