HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Kevin H, dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,115 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123821
03/04/10 02:44 PM
03/04/10 02:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Tom, do you believe the reason why Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners is because the cup of Israel's iniquity was full and He gave them up to serve sin. Is that your answer to the title question?

No and no.

Quote:
PS - Never mind our dialog between this post and 123753. Things got too dissected.

Ok.

Thank you for answering my questions. Do you think the main reason Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners was because sin-hardened Jews expected it? If so, was it wrong or sinful for Jesus to command killing sinners? And, was it wrong or sinful for Moses to obey Jesus' command to kill sinners? I know I've asked these questions before, but I do not remember your answers.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123827
03/04/10 09:19 PM
03/04/10 09:19 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
MM,

We may have a communication problem, because I don't see how my questions are polar opposite from what you've said. You said that the disciples did not have the right spirit. Logic requires that the disciples could have had the right spirit. Therefore, I asked what was that spirit they had, how could they get the right spirit. This is a practical question, it has to do with capital punishment, so I think this is a highly relevant question.

You are asking Tom about Moses killing sinners. There are other examples where there was not a direct command from Jesus to kill people. Ignoring for the moment why they were told to, relate the past with the disciples wanting to call fire down on the Samaritans. Why was that different than in times past? The disciples must not have thought it was any different. You said they did not have the right spirit. In what way could they get the right spirit like those of times past?

How can you dismiss it by saying it was for "wicked, unholy, selfish reasons", how do you know that? I did not gather that from the Luke story. I saw the disciples wanting to do it for righteous reasons and expected it fit in fully with what Jesus wanted. Why did Jesus not command the disciples to call down fire on the Samaritans just like Moses? If you say it was not the right time, seem my previous post for that question.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123830
03/05/10 01:57 AM
03/05/10 01:57 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, the difference between Jesus commanding people like Moses to kill sinners and James and John asking Jesus for permission to call down fire on the Samaritans has to do with who initiated it. James and John, not Jesus, initiated calling down fire on the Samaritans. They were annoyed and indignant because they felt Jesus wasn't receiving the honor and respect He deserved. Ellen wrote:

"James and John, Christ's messengers, were greatly annoyed at the insult shown to their Lord. They were filled with indignation because He had been so rudely treated by the Samaritans whom He was honoring by His presence. They had recently been with Him on the mount of transfiguration, and had seen Him glorified by God, and honored by Moses and Elijah. This manifest dishonor on the part of the Samaritans, should not, they thought, be passed over without marked punishment. {DA 487.1}

Jesus never commanded people like Moses to kill sinners because they failed to invite someone to stay the night.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123834
03/05/10 05:00 AM
03/05/10 05:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Thank you for answering my questions. Do you think the main reason Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners was because sin-hardened Jews expected it? If so, was it wrong or sinful for Jesus to command killing sinners? And, was it wrong or sinful for Moses to obey Jesus' command to kill sinners? I know I've asked these questions before, but I do not remember your answers.

No to all questions. None of this reflects my thinking.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123835
03/05/10 02:32 PM
03/05/10 02:32 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Kland, the difference between Jesus commanding people like Moses to kill sinners and James and John asking Jesus for permission to call down fire on the Samaritans has to do with who initiated it. James and John, not Jesus, initiated calling down fire on the Samaritans. They were annoyed and indignant because they felt Jesus wasn't receiving the honor and respect He deserved. Ellen wrote:

Well, I'm a little confused.

You said before:
Quote:
Were the disciples guilty of having a “wrong spirit” when they wanted to call down fire to kill the Samaritans? Yes, of course. How do we know? Jesus said so!

Would you like to reword that statement?

Because if not, logic still requires an answer to the question of how could they be in the right spirit in wanting to call down fire?

In the first of John 9, Jesus said to shake off the dust against those who don't receive them. In Chapter 10, He said if no son of peace were in a house it would return to them. Where do you think the disciples got the idea of calling down fire on the Samaritans? Some versions have 9:54 saying "just as Elijah did". I don't think they thought to call down fire on them because they wouldn't let them spend the night. The context means more than that.

Who initiated Elijah calling down fire?

Could there be the slightest possibility we are not correctly understanding "what manner of spirit you are of" in verse 55?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123837
03/05/10 04:23 PM
03/05/10 04:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Thank you for answering my questions.

1. Do you think the main reason Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners was because sin-hardened Jews expected it?
2. If so, was it wrong or sinful for Jesus to command killing sinners?
3. And, was it wrong or sinful for Moses to obey Jesus' command to kill sinners?

I know I've asked these questions before, but I do not remember your answers.

T: No to all questions. None of this reflects my thinking.

Is that how you'd like to leave it? Or, would you like to summarize what you believe as to why Jesus commanded people like Moses to kill sinners? Again, I suspect you feel as though you've clearly answered this question beyond question or misunderstanding, however, the truth is I was thoroughly and completely surprised you didn't answer the first question above with a resounding, YES!!! I correctly assumed you'd answer the other two questions with, No.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123838
03/05/10 04:49 PM
03/05/10 04:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, Jesus told James and John, "Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of." I believe this means Jesus felt their spirit, their motive, their attitude, their reasons for wanting to call down fire on the Samaritans was wrong. Do you agree?

You asked, "Logic still requires an answer to the question of how could they be in the right spirit in wanting to call down fire?" The answer is, They couldn't. The time was not right for Jesus to destroy the Samaritans.

Nevertheless, I believe there were times when Jesus felt it was right to rain down fire on sinners. For example, Jesus felt the time was right to incinerate every man, woman, and child in S&G. He also felt the time was right to incinerate Nadab and Abihu. He also felt the time was right to incinerate the 250 sympathizers who lamented the destruction and death of Korah and company. I assume you disagree?

Did Elijah initiate calling down fire upon the Samaritan soldiers? Ellen wrote: "Twice Ahaziah sent a company of soldiers to intimidate the prophet, and twice the wrath of God fell upon them in judgment. {PK 208.3} What thinkest thou? Who initiated it?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123845
03/05/10 09:20 PM
03/05/10 09:20 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Kland, Jesus told James and John, "Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of." I believe this means Jesus felt their spirit, their motive, their attitude, their reasons for wanting to call down fire on the Samaritans was wrong. Do you agree?
Oh absolutely, I didn't think there was any question to that. The question is you said it was a wrong spirit and so what would be the right spirit. Do you wish to reword your statement?

Quote:

You asked, "Logic still requires an answer to the question of how could they be in the right spirit in wanting to call down fire?" The answer is, They couldn't. The time was not right for Jesus to destroy the Samaritans.
If it was all just a timing issue, don't you think Jesus was a little harsh with His disciples? I mean, if Jesus was going to burn them anyway, why wouldn't He tell his disciples that their cup was not full instead of saying they didn't know what spirit they were of. What spirit were they of, poor timing?

Quote:

Nevertheless, I believe there were times when Jesus felt it was right to rain down fire on sinners. For example, Jesus felt the time was right to incinerate every man, woman, and child in S&G. He also felt the time was right to incinerate Nadab and Abihu. He also felt the time was right to incinerate the 250 sympathizers who lamented the destruction and death of Korah and company. I assume you disagree?
Well, it's kind of hard to agree or disagree when I don't believe Jesus in the past, then, in the present, nor in the future is going to set people on fire.

Quote:

Did Elijah initiate calling down fire upon the Samaritan soldiers? Ellen wrote: "Twice Ahaziah sent a company of soldiers to intimidate the prophet, and twice the wrath of God fell upon them in judgment. {PK 208.3} What thinkest thou? Who initiated it?

What did the disciples believe?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123850
03/06/10 04:59 PM
03/06/10 04:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: Jesus told James and John, "Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of." I believe this means Jesus felt their spirit, their motive, their attitude, their reasons for wanting to call down fire on the Samaritans was wrong. Do you agree?

K: Oh absolutely, I didn't think there was any question to that. The question is you said it was a wrong spirit and so what would be the right spirit. Do you wish to reword your statement?

No. I believe it is accurate to say "Jesus felt their spirit, their motive, their attitude, their reasons for wanting to call down fire on the Samaritans was wrong." There are times, however, when having the right spirit based on the right reasons reflects the will of God. The right spirit, as you know, is a sorrowful spirit. Jesus does not delight in destroying sinners.

Quote:
M: You asked, "Logic still requires an answer to the question of how could they be in the right spirit in wanting to call down fire?" The answer is, They couldn't. The time was not right for Jesus to destroy the Samaritans.

K: If it was all just a timing issue, don't you think Jesus was a little harsh with His disciples? I mean, if Jesus was going to burn them anyway, why wouldn't He tell his disciples that their cup was not full instead of saying they didn't know what spirit they were of. What spirit were they of, poor timing?

No, Jesus wasn't too harsh. Their reasons for wanting to call down fire are never right even if the time was right.

Quote:
M: Nevertheless, I believe there were times when Jesus felt it was right to rain down fire on sinners. For example, Jesus felt the time was right to incinerate every man, woman, and child in S&G. He also felt the time was right to incinerate Nadab and Abihu. He also felt the time was right to incinerate the 250 sympathizers who lamented the destruction and death of Korah and company. I assume you disagree?

K: Well, it's kind of hard to agree or disagree when I don't believe Jesus in the past, then, in the present, nor in the future is going to set people on fire.

What do you think happened that the sinners named above were burned alive and died?

Quote:
M: Did Elijah initiate calling down fire upon the Samaritan soldiers? Ellen wrote: "Twice Ahaziah sent a company of soldiers to intimidate the prophet, and twice the wrath of God fell upon them in judgment. {PK 208.3} What thinkest thou? Who initiated it?

K: What did the disciples believe?

They probably believed, like Ellen, that Jesus initiated it. But their reasons for wanting to call down fire were wholly unlike Jesus' reasons for wanting Elijah to do it. Motive matters.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123858
03/07/10 01:43 AM
03/07/10 01:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Thank you for answering my questions.

1. Do you think the main reason Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners was because sin-hardened Jews expected it?
2. If so, was it wrong or sinful for Jesus to command killing sinners?
3. And, was it wrong or sinful for Moses to obey Jesus' command to kill sinners?

I know I've asked these questions before, but I do not remember your answers.

T: No to all questions. None of this reflects my thinking.

M:Is that how you'd like to leave it? Or, would you like to summarize what you believe as to why Jesus commanded people like Moses to kill sinners? Again, I suspect you feel as though you've clearly answered this question beyond question or misunderstanding, however, the truth is I was thoroughly and completely surprised you didn't answer the first question above with a resounding, YES!!! I correctly assumed you'd answer the other two questions with, No.

I've already written so much in regards to this, I don't see how repeating something at this stage would help any. What I write is forgotten, and what I suggest is completely ignored.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!