HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,656
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 102 of 105 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123750
03/01/10 06:57 PM
03/01/10 06:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: What about the blind and deaf people Jesus healed? There’s no indication they had a hard time adjusting immediately.

T: Why should there be? If the Bible included details like this, it would fill a library. John said:

M: I suspect it’s because Jesus completely restored them.

T: Having to readjust has nothing to do with being completely restored. If a person has been blind their whole life, it takes time to adjust to seeing, because of all the information being processed.

And yet the blind and deaf and lame people Jesus restored adjusted instantly. The lame were able to run and jump immediately afterward. The blind and deaf were able to hear and see and speak and understand immediately afterward.

Quote:
M: Also, A&E were created with the ability to speak and understand language. I suspect Jesus will do the same with the deaf and mute. Or, do you think Jesus is incapable of resurrecting them with the ability to see and hear and to speak and understand language?

T: This is so speculative as to be completely beyond the pale. You have a certain way of processing information, so you assume it will be like this for everyone else. God will speak to each one according to the language they already know. The deaf speak sign language! God's not going to communicate to them in a verbal language. That makes not sense at all, as is actually an insensitive suggestion, which you would know if you knew anything about deaf culture. Even if you assumed that God would communicate with everyone in a spoken language, what language would it be? Hebrew? Do you think God will miraculously give everyone the ability to understand Hebrew? Of course not! God will communicate with each one in the language that they already know. This should be patently obvious.

It sounds like, yes, you believe Jesus is incapable of restoring the deaf, blind, mute, and lame to soundness of mind and body suitable enough to process judgment verbally and visually.

Quote:
M: A hundred years ago people would have scoffed at the idea of millions of people all over the world simultaneously watching and listening to Doug Batchelor telling the truth about Jesus. And yet it happens all the time.

T: With translators, right? So do you think God will employ thousands of translators?

No. I suspect God will give them the gift of hearing, which is the reverse of the gift of speaking in tongues. In other words, I suspect everyone will hear what God is saying in their native language. Of course, it’s also possible Jesus will merely resurrect them with the ability to understand things in the same language. You seem to think both options are totally out of the question.

Quote:
M: Do you think Jesus is incapable of conducting the final judgment in a way that enables everyone everywhere to feel as though they are the only one standing in judgment?[

T: Obviously not. I've explained how God will accomplish this, by communicating to each one individually. Your suggestion appears to be that God will communicate to each one in spoken language, that He will heal the deaf, and miraculously give them the ability to understand spoken language. This is an insensitive suggestion because it assumes that spoken language is superior to sign language. To suggest that God would insist on communicating with the deaf in spoken language rather than sign language is simply not understanding how the deaf think. This would just infuriate them. There's nothing wrong with sign language. Anything that can be communicated with spoken language can be communicated with sign language.

I’m sorry you think I’m being insensitive. It is not my intention to insult deaf people. My mother-in-law was deaf and it was a pleasure communicating with her. However, do you believe Jesus will resurrect the saints with the ability to hear and understand verbal communications? If so, do you feel this is an insult to deaf people?

Also, thank you for answering my question. It sounds like, yes, you believe Jesus is definitely capable of resurrecting the wicked with the ability to hear and understand verbal communications. However, you also believe He will not do so.

Quote:
M: Also, do you believe God will be physically present during the final judgment? I realize you’ve never disagreed with this idea, but you’ve also never said you believe He will be there physically?

T: Actually I have, several times.

Thank you for answering my question. I did read in your post after this one that you included it as one of your summary statements.

Quote:
M: Do you believe God has a physical body? Or, do you believe He is a disembodied spirit?

T: No. God is a spirit, and He has a form (John 4). But God created space, so He can't be constrained by a physical body, although He can manifest Himself however He wishes.

In what sense do you think the Father’s “form” different than Jesus’ “form”? Please include what Ellen wrote about it: “I saw a throne, and on it sat the Father and the Son. I gazed on Jesus' countenance and admired His lovely person. The Father's person I could not behold, for a cloud of glorious light covered Him. I asked Jesus if His Father had a form like Himself. He said He had, but I could not behold it, for said He, "If you should once behold the glory of His person, you would cease to exist."

Quote:
M: Also, do you believe God will not communicate verbally and visually, that He will only communicate using the “mind-to-mind" method you described above?

T: I believe God will be physically present, and a lot will be happening, that can be seen and heard, but there are thousands of languages involved, including many forms of sign language and also sign language which must be felt. Your idea, if I understand it correctly, is that God will communicate to everybody by spoken language. I've explained why I believe this idea is inadequate. For one thing, there are thousands of languages involved, so which language would God use?

See my response above. Also, it sounds like, yes, you believe God will use verbal and visual communication as well as other forms of communication. Whereas I suspect Jesus will resurrect everyone with the ability to see and hear and understand His verbal and visual presentation. “Above the throne is revealed the cross; and like a panoramic view appear the scenes of Adam's temptation and fall, and the successive steps in the great plan of redemption.” Do you interpret this to mean Jesus will levitate the blind above the throne to feel the cross with their hands? And, do you believe the panoramic scenes described above are viewed in their mind rather than viewed in the sky with the naked eye?

Quote:
4. I believe the radiant light of God’s person and presence will cause the wicked to suffer in proportion to their sinfulness and to die.

T: Why would something physical result in proportional suffering? I don't see how this could happen.

M: Do you believe it is physically impossible for Jesus to accomplish what I said?

T: Yes, provided He acts in harmony with His character.

Is it inconsistent with the character of God to be physically present during judgment if doing so results in the wicked suffering and dying? Or, do you think God cannot help what happens to them, that merely being Himself is not inconsistent with His character? If so, do you also believe if God’s radiant light caused sinners to suffer and die that it wouldn’t be inconsistent with His character?

Quote:
M: And, do you believe God works now to supernaturally prevent sinners, including evil angels, from suffering and dying in proportion to their sinfulness? Also, do you believe Jesus will have to work to supernaturally prevent the wicked from dying prematurely during the final judgment?

T: God does not permit them to reap the full result of their sin. DA 764.

Is your answer equivalent to saying, yes, Jesus will have to supernaturally prevent the wicked from dying prematurely during judgment so that they can live long enough to revisit their sins and participate in vindicating the character and kingdom of God? And, do you think Ellen and Ty would think it is equivalent?

Quote:
T: I think this overlooks the fact that the law is a transcript of God's law. It has no will of its own. It merely expresses the will of God. It also fails to mention the real reason the wicked suffer and die, which is because of decisions they have made. Their destiny is fixed by their own choice. This is a key point!

M: Do you agree that the law can only condemn sinners and that it cannot pardon them?

T: As a figure of speech, yes. Of course, this isn't literal, as the law cannot literally do anything, not being a sentient being.

M: If so, do you think in this regard it reflects the character of God?

T: I believe the law is a transcript of God's character. It reflects God's will in terms of what God wants to happen.

M: If not, do you think God is in contradiction of Himself?

T: My point is that God is not in contradiction with Himself, and because of this it doesn't make sense to speak in terms of God's being "required" to do things because of the law.

It sounds like you’re saying since the law is not a sentient being it cannot do anything. I agree. But we both agree God acts in harmony with the just and loving demands as recorded in the law. Contrary to the demands recorded in the law, however, God is willing and able to forgive and save penitent sinners. On the other hand, though, God is also willing and able to punish and destroy impenitent sinners, which is clearly in harmony with the demands recorded in the law.

To avoid scaring the loyal beings and causing a second rebellion, God took the necessary measures to earn the legal and moral right to destroy impenitent sinners, which is precisely what law and justice requires. In the end, everyone, loyal and disloyal, will confess it is right and righteous for God to act in harmony with the requirements of law and justice, namely, to punish and destroy the wicked.

I assume you disagree.

Quote:
8. I believe Jesus lived and died the perfect life and death to earn the legal right to pardon and save penitent sinners and to do earn the legal right to punish and destroy impenitent sinners. In so doing He has and will vindicate the kingdom and character of God.

T: 1.Jesus Christ has no desire to destroy. 2.Destruction certainly would not vindicate God's character. Satan is the destroyer. God is the restorer. God's character is vindicated by making this truth known, which the judgment will make clear.

I disagree.

Quote:
9. I believe Jesus will resurrect the wicked to judge and punish them according to their sinfulness. In so doing He will satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice.

T: I don't disagree with this, although I'm sure we would take these words very differently.

Most definitely.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123752
03/01/10 06:59 PM
03/01/10 06:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please respond to 123717 and 123719. Thank you.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123755
03/01/10 07:35 PM
03/01/10 07:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
"Angels could not fully portray the character of God, but Christ, who was a living impersonation of God, could not fail to accomplish the work."

Elsewhere you've argued God did not know with absolutely certainty Jesus would succeed.

Yes, if this were the case it would contradict the statements which tells us that Christ could have fallen and that there was risked involved in His mission.

Quote:
Here Ellen says, Jesus "could not fail". Do you see a contradiction here?

One such spot where she says this is the famous Baker letter:

Quote:
He could have sinned, He could have fallen.

If there were a contradiction here, this would apply as much to your position as mine. Could Christ have fallen? If so, why doesn't that contradict this statement that says He could not fail?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123756
03/01/10 08:29 PM
03/01/10 08:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
As you can see, Jesus came to earn the legal right to pardon and save penitent sinners and thereby vindicate the law and character of God. It also gives Him the legal right to exterminate sin and sinners in the lake of fire.

No, I don't see this, at least not all of this. Perhaps you could indicate which statements pertain to which point you're wanting to make.

1.If God needed Christ to die in order to have a legal right to forgive those who has sinned, He couldn't have offered Lucifer the pardon He did.

2.I agree that Christ vindicated God's character and the principles of His government (aka His law, or immutability of His law, or perpetuity of His law).

3.One of the quotes spoke of how the cross revealed the nature and the result of sin. This is exactly what I think. The nature of sin is that it destroys its victim, which Christ's death demonstrated. In your view, Christ would have had to have been exterminated as the penalty for sin, it would seem, being set on fire. But He wasn't set on fire. So He didn't by the penalty, or satisfy justice, according to how you perceive these things to be.

I didn't see anything suggesting that God needed to earn the legal right to exterminate sin and sinners in the lake of fire, or anything even remotely close to this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123767
03/02/10 04:44 PM
03/02/10 04:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
"Angels could not fully portray the character of God, but Christ, who was a living impersonation of God, could not fail to accomplish the work."

Elsewhere you've argued God did not know with absolutely certainty Jesus would succeed.

Yes, if this were the case it would contradict the statements which tells us that Christ could have fallen and that there was risked involved in His mission.

Quote:
Here Ellen says, Jesus "could not fail". Do you see a contradiction here?

One such spot where she says this is the famous Baker letter:

Quote:
He could have sinned, He could have fallen.

If there were a contradiction here, this would apply as much to your position as mine. Could Christ have fallen? If so, why doesn't that contradict this statement that says He could not fail?

"Could not fail to accomplish the work" is future positive tense whereas "could have fallen" is past positive tense. In both cases she is confirming the fact Jesus succeeded. Yes, it is true post-incarnate Jesus, as opposed to pre-incarnate Jesus, possessed the ability to sin; however, possessing the ability to sin does not mean God did not know Jesus would certainly succeed. Similarly, saying God "risked all" is not the same thing as saying God did not know Jesus would certainly succeed.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123768
03/02/10 05:10 PM
03/02/10 05:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
As you can see, Jesus came to earn the legal right to pardon and save penitent sinners and thereby vindicate the law and character of God. It also gives Him the legal right to exterminate sin and sinners in the lake of fire.

No, I don't see this, at least not all of this. Perhaps you could indicate which statements pertain to which point you're wanting to make.

1.If God needed Christ to die in order to have a legal right to forgive those who has sinned, He couldn't have offered Lucifer the pardon He did.

2.I agree that Christ vindicated God's character and the principles of His government (aka His law, or immutability of His law, or perpetuity of His law).

3.One of the quotes spoke of how the cross revealed the nature and the result of sin. This is exactly what I think. The nature of sin is that it destroys its victim, which Christ's death demonstrated. In your view, Christ would have had to have been exterminated as the penalty for sin, it would seem, being set on fire. But He wasn't set on fire. So He didn't by the penalty, or satisfy justice, according to how you perceive these things to be.

I didn't see anything suggesting that God needed to earn the legal right to exterminate sin and sinners in the lake of fire, or anything even remotely close to this.

1. Where does Ellen draw the conclusion you do, namely, offering Lucifer pardon proves Jesus did not have to die to earn the legal right to pardon penitent sinners? Or, is this a conclusion you've arrived at independently apart from a plain, Thus saith the Lord? As you know, saying she implied it or it stands to reason is not the same thing as her actually saying so.

2. He also, however, vindicated the law of God by satisfying its just and loving demands. That is, He vindicated the fact law and justice demand death for sin by paying our sin debt of death instead of disregarding its death demands and saving sinners in spite of their sins and in spite of the demands of law and justice.

3. You seem to be overlooking the fact it required two goats on the day of atonement to remove sin from the sanctuary. Jesus earned the legal right to place the sins of the saved upon the head of Satan who then must perish with them in the lake of fire. The fact Jesus paid our sin debt of death is not enough. He must also place our sins upon the head of Satan. Which is also not enough. Satan must also perish with our sins in the lake of fire.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123769
03/02/10 05:19 PM
03/02/10 05:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please respond to 123750. Thank you.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123770
03/02/10 05:28 PM
03/02/10 05:28 PM
RLH  Offline
Active Member 2010
Posting New Member
North Carolina, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
"Could not fail to accomplish the work" is future positive tense whereas "could have fallen" is past positive tense. In both cases she is confirming the fact Jesus succeeded. Yes, it is true post-incarnate Jesus, as opposed to pre-incarnate Jesus, possessed the ability to sin; however, possessing the ability to sin does not mean God did not know Jesus would certainly succeed. Similarly, saying God "risked all" is not the same thing as saying God did not know Jesus would certainly succeed.

Amen MM.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: RLH] #123786
03/03/10 04:19 AM
03/03/10 04:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: Why should there be? If the Bible included details like this, it would fill a library. John said:

M: I suspect it’s because Jesus completely restored them.

T: Having to readjust has nothing to do with being completely restored. If a person has been blind their whole life, it takes time to adjust to seeing, because of all the information being processed.

M:And yet the blind and deaf and lame people Jesus restored adjusted instantly. The lame were able to run and jump immediately afterward.

??? This has nothing to do with anything. Jumping doesn't require any readjustment. I'm sure the people knew how to leap before they became lame. What would you think this has anything do to with anything?

Quote:
The blind and deaf were able to hear and see and speak and understand immediately afterward.

Blind people speak and hear spoken languages, so of course they understood. The deaf couldn't understand spoken language. They could continue to understand sign language.

Quote:
T: This is so speculative as to be completely beyond the pale. You have a certain way of processing information, so you assume it will be like this for everyone else. God will speak to each one according to the language they already know. The deaf speak sign language! God's not going to communicate to them in a verbal language. That makes not sense at all, as is actually an insensitive suggestion, which you would know if you knew anything about deaf culture. Even if you assumed that God would communicate with everyone in a spoken language, what language would it be? Hebrew? Do you think God will miraculously give everyone the ability to understand Hebrew? Of course not! God will communicate with each one in the language that they already know. This should be patently obvious.

M:It sounds like, yes, you believe Jesus is incapable of restoring the deaf, blind, mute, and lame to soundness of mind and body suitable enough to process judgment verbally and visually.

You seem to have no understanding of how language works.

Quote:
M: A hundred years ago people would have scoffed at the idea of millions of people all over the world simultaneously watching and listening to Doug Batchelor telling the truth about Jesus. And yet it happens all the time.

T: With translators, right? So do you think God will employ thousands of translators?

M:No. I suspect God will give them the gift of hearing, which is the reverse of the gift of speaking in tongues. In other words, I suspect everyone will hear what God is saying in their native language.

Well, you can make up anything you wish. There's no evidence that such a thing exists.

If such a thing existed, God would have to be changing the reception of the mind, so that the person heard something different than what was actually spoken, so God would be in effect doing what I suggested, communicating from mind to mind, just in a much more convoluted way.

Quote:
Of course, it’s also possible Jesus will merely resurrect them with the ability to understand things in the same language. You seem to think both options are totally out of the question.

Pretty absurd, yes. What I suggested is much more reasonable. God communicates with each one in the language they already know, just as God has always done in every recorded cases, thousands of them, throughout all history. No need to make up stuff on the fly.

Quote:
T: Obviously not. I've explained how God will accomplish this, by communicating to each one individually. Your suggestion appears to be that God will communicate to each one in spoken language, that He will heal the deaf, and miraculously give them the ability to understand spoken language. This is an insensitive suggestion because it assumes that spoken language is superior to sign language. To suggest that God would insist on communicating with the deaf in spoken language rather than sign language is simply not understanding how the deaf think. This would just infuriate them. There's nothing wrong with sign language. Anything that can be communicated with spoken language can be communicated with sign language.

M:I’m sorry you think I’m being insensitive. It is not my intention to insult deaf people. My mother-in-law was deaf and it was a pleasure communicating with her. However, do you believe Jesus will resurrect the saints with the ability to hear and understand verbal communications?

There's no reason to do so, unless, as I explained, you believe that spoken language is superior to sign language.

Quote:
If so, do you feel this is an insult to deaf people?

Yes, as I'm sure they would.

Quote:
Also, thank you for answering my question. It sounds like, yes, you believe Jesus is definitely capable of resurrecting the wicked with the ability to hear and understand verbal communications. However, you also believe He will not do so.

Anyone who could create the universe obviously could do anything He wanted to. Why do you think this is a reasonable question?

Quote:
In what sense do you think the Father’s “form” different than Jesus’ “form”?

Jesus is a human being. God is not a human being.

Quote:
Please include what Ellen wrote about it: “I saw a throne, and on it sat the Father and the Son. I gazed on Jesus' countenance and admired His lovely person. The Father's person I could not behold, for a cloud of glorious light covered Him. I asked Jesus if His Father had a form like Himself. He said He had, but I could not behold it, for said He, "If you should once behold the glory of His person, you would cease to exist."

I don't know what you'd want me to comment on regarding this.

Quote:
T: I believe God will be physically present, and a lot will be happening, that can be seen and heard, but there are thousands of languages involved, including many forms of sign language and also sign language which must be felt. Your idea, if I understand it correctly, is that God will communicate to everybody by spoken language. I've explained why I believe this idea is inadequate. For one thing, there are thousands of languages involved, so which language would God use?

M:See my response above. Also, it sounds like, yes, you believe God will use verbal and visual communication as well as other forms of communication. Whereas I suspect Jesus will resurrect everyone with the ability to see and hear and understand His verbal and visual presentation.

This is absurd. What about people who don't know how to read? You'd have to suppose God miraculously gives them the ability to read. To have God messing around with one's brains like this violates the principles of free will in innumerable ways. You can't go messing around with the language parts of the brain like you're suggesting without altering in major ways who a person is. This isn't something God would do.

If you had a deaf relative, you should have some understanding about it. Did she sign?

To a deaf person, communicating in sign language is a part of who they are. They wouldn't think of communicating in speech.

There are deaf people, many of them, who refuse to be restored to hearing, even though this is possible, because of their attachment to the deaf community.

Quote:
“Above the throne is revealed the cross; and like a panoramic view appear the scenes of Adam's temptation and fall, and the successive steps in the great plan of redemption.” Do you interpret this to mean Jesus will levitate the blind above the throne to feel the cross with their hands? And, do you believe the panoramic scenes described above are viewed in their mind rather than viewed in the sky with the naked eye?

These scenes wouldn't mean anything to someone who had no context to understand it.

Quote:
4. I believe the radiant light of God’s person and presence will cause the wicked to suffer in proportion to their sinfulness and to die.

T: Why would something physical result in proportional suffering? I don't see how this could happen.

M: Do you believe it is physically impossible for Jesus to accomplish what I said?

T: Yes, provided He acts in harmony with His character.

T:Is it inconsistent with the character of God to be physically present during judgment if doing so results in the wicked suffering and dying?

It would be if this were the purpose of His doing so.

Quote:
Or, do you think God cannot help what happens to them, that merely being Himself is not inconsistent with His character?

You're asking if God's being Himself is inconsistent with His character? Why do you think this is a reasonable question?

Quote:
If so, do you also believe if God’s radiant light caused sinners to suffer and die that it wouldn’t be inconsistent with His character?

It would be if this were the purpose of God's being physically present. That is, if God did something with the sole intent of causing suffering and death, that would be contrary to His character. Also this idea misses the spiritual aspects of what's happening. It supposes sin is innocuous.

Quote:
M: And, do you believe God works now to supernaturally prevent sinners, including evil angels, from suffering and dying in proportion to their sinfulness? Also, do you believe Jesus will have to work to supernaturally prevent the wicked from dying prematurely during the final judgment?

T: God does not permit them to reap the full result of their sin. DA 764.

M:Is your answer equivalent to saying, yes, Jesus will have to supernaturally prevent the wicked from dying prematurely during judgment so that they can live long enough to revisit their sins and participate in vindicating the character and kingdom of God?

This seems like a rather odd and forced way of looking at things to me.

Quote:
And, do you think Ellen and Ty would think it is equivalent?

I think they would also find it odd.

Quote:
T: I believe the law is a transcript of God's character. It reflects God's will in terms of what God wants to happen.

M: If not, do you think God is in contradiction of Himself?

T: My point is that God is not in contradiction with Himself, and because of this it doesn't make sense to speak in terms of God's being "required" to do things because of the law.

M:It sounds like you’re saying since the law is not a sentient being it cannot do anything. I agree. But we both agree God acts in harmony with the just and loving demands as recorded in the law.

The law is a transcript of His character. How could He not act in harmony with it? He doesn't lie, steal, kill, or do any of the things mentioned in His law. He acts like Jesus Christ acted, who was the law in human flesh.

Quote:
Contrary to the demands recorded in the law, however, God is willing and able to forgive and save penitent sinners. On the other hand, though, God is also willing and able to punish and destroy impenitent sinners, which is clearly in harmony with the demands recorded in the law.

To avoid scaring the loyal beings and causing a second rebellion, God took the necessary measures to earn the legal and moral right to destroy impenitent sinners, which is precisely what law and justice requires.

This is completely circular, MM. You don't see this?

Who created the law, MM? Wasn't it God? If God creates a law which tells Him what to do, how is this any different than His doing what He was going to do anyway?

Quote:
In the end, everyone, loyal and disloyal, will confess it is right and righteous for God to act in harmony with the requirements of law and justice, namely, to punish and destroy the wicked.

I assume you disagree.

The law is a transcript of God's character. I've been asking all along how you think it's possible that God would act contrary to His own character.

That the wicked will be destroyed and punished is fine, and to suggest that this is in harmony with the demands of the law, or, which is equivalent, God's character, is fine to. Provided we understand God's character, this will lead to a correct understanding, IMO. Where I see a problem is if we think God will use artificial means to destroy and punish, such as setting people on fire. This would be torture, and is contrary to God's character.

Quote:
T: 1.Jesus Christ has no desire to destroy. 2.Destruction certainly would not vindicate God's character. Satan is the destroyer. God is the restorer. God's character is vindicated by making this truth known, which the judgment will make clear.

M:I disagree.

So you're thinking is the following?

1.Jesus Christ desires to destroy.
2.Destruction vindicates God's character.
3.Satan is the restorer, God is the destroyer.
4.God's character is not vindicated by making known that He is the restorer and Satan is the destroyer.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123787
03/03/10 04:29 AM
03/03/10 04:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
EGW:"Angels could not fully portray the character of God, but Christ, who was a living impersonation of God, could not fail to accomplish the work."

MM:Elsewhere you've argued God did not know with absolutely certainty Jesus would succeed.

T:Yes, if this were the case it would contradict the statements which tells us that Christ could have fallen and that there was risked involved in His mission.

M:Here Ellen says, Jesus "could not fail". Do you see a contradiction here?

T:One such spot where she says this is the famous Baker letter:

EGW:He could have sinned, He could have fallen.

T:If there were a contradiction here, this would apply as much to your position as mine. Could Christ have fallen? If so, why doesn't that contradict this statement that says He could not fail?

M:"Could not fail to accomplish the work" is future positive tense whereas "could have fallen" is past positive tense.

In both cases she is confirming the fact Jesus succeeded.

Could have fallen means Christ could have failed. That is, it is possible that Christ could have failed. This could hardly have been the case if God was certain God would succeed, unless you think God can be certain something will happen and the thing not happen.

Quote:
Yes, it is true post-incarnate Jesus, as opposed to pre-incarnate Jesus, possessed the ability to sin; however, possessing the ability to sin does not mean God did not know Jesus would certainly succeed.

Sure God could know Jesus would certainly succeed. But if God knew that, it wouldn't be possible for Jesus to fail, just like it's not possible for anything to happen that God is certain won't happen.

Quote:
Similarly, saying God "risked all" is not the same thing as saying God did not know Jesus would certainly succeed.

Sure it is. That's what "risk" means. Risk is to take an action which has the chance of loss. That means the probability is greater than 0 that the unfortunate event will happen. To say that God is certain the unfortunate event will happen is to say the probability is 0 that this event happens, which is to say that no risk is incurred.

Page 102 of 105 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!