HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123860
03/07/10 02:15 AM
03/07/10 02:15 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Did Elijah initiate calling down fire upon the Samaritan soldiers? Ellen wrote: "Twice Ahaziah sent a company of soldiers to intimidate the prophet, and twice the wrath of God fell upon them in judgment. {PK 208.3} What thinkest thou? Who initiated it?

K: What did the disciples believe?

M:They probably believed, like Ellen, that Jesus initiated it.

This says the wrath of God came upon them. You interpret this as meaning that "Jesus initiated it." You have preset ideas as to what phrases mean, so when you come across a certain phrase, you interpret it to mean something you already think, even though the phrase itself says nothing of the sort.

The wrath of God is not His getting angry and smiting people, but His reluctant withdraw, allowing people to experience the result of their choice:

Quote:
Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?
And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods. (Deut 31:17, 18)

Quote:
They come to fight with the Chaldeans, but it is to fill them with the dead bodies of men, whom I have slain in mine anger and in my fury, and for all whose wickedness I have hid my face from this city. (Jer. 33:5)

Quote:
For our fathers have trespassed, and done that which was evil in the eyes of the LORD our God, and have forsaken him, and have turned away their faces from the habitation of the LORD, and turned their backs.

Also they have shut up the doors of the porch, and put out the lamps, and have not burned incense nor offered burnt offerings in the holy place unto the God of Israel.
Wherefore the wrath of the LORD was upon Judah and Jerusalem, and he hath delivered them to trouble, to astonishment, and to hissing, as ye see with your eyes. (2 Chron 29: 6, 8)

Quote:
And they caused their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire, and used divination and enchantments, and sold themselves to do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.

Therefore the LORD was very angry with Israel, and removed them out of his sight: there was none left but the tribe of Judah only.

Also Judah kept not the commandments of the LORD their God, but walked in the statutes of Israel which they made.
And the LORD rejected all the seed of Israel, and afflicted them, and delivered them into the hand of spoilers, until he had cast them out of his sight. (2 Kings 17:17-20)

Quote:
Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation. (Ps. 27:9)

Quote:
How long, LORD? wilt thou hide thyself for ever? shall thy wrath burn like fire? (Ps. 89:46)

Quote:
Hear me speedily, O LORD: my spirit faileth: hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit. (Ps. 143:7)

Quote:
Though they bring up their children, yet will I bereave them, that there shall not be a man left: yea, woe also to them when I depart from them! (Hosea 9:12)

Quote:
The LORD was as an enemy: he hath swallowed up Israel, he hath swallowed up all her palaces: he hath destroyed his strong holds, and hath increased in the daughter of Judah mourning and lamentation.

And he hath violently taken away his tabernacle, as if it were of a garden: he hath destroyed his places of the assembly: the LORD hath caused the solemn feasts and sabbaths to be forgotten in Zion, and hath despised in the indignation (wrath JB) of his anger the king and the priest.

The LORD hath cast off his altar, he hath abhorred his sanctuary, he hath given up into the hand of the enemy the walls of her palaces; they have made a noise in the house of the LORD, as in the day of a solemn feast. (Lam. 2:5-7)

Quote:
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man--and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. 24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. 26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. (Rom. 1:18-26)

In the above texts, the following may be noted:

1)The text mentions God’s anger, wrath or fury
2)This is explained as God’s hiding His face, delivering up those who have rejected Him, or withdrawing.
3)Bad things happen when God withdraws.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123871
03/07/10 03:31 PM
03/07/10 03:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
M: Thank you for answering my questions.

1. Do you think the main reason Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners was because sin-hardened Jews expected it?
2. If so, was it wrong or sinful for Jesus to command killing sinners?
3. And, was it wrong or sinful for Moses to obey Jesus' command to kill sinners?

I know I've asked these questions before, but I do not remember your answers.

T: No to all questions. None of this reflects my thinking.

M:Is that how you'd like to leave it? Or, would you like to summarize what you believe as to why Jesus commanded people like Moses to kill sinners? Again, I suspect you feel as though you've clearly answered this question beyond question or misunderstanding, however, the truth is I was thoroughly and completely surprised you didn't answer the first question above with a resounding, YES!!! I correctly assumed you'd answer the other two questions with, No.

I've already written so much in regards to this, I don't see how repeating something at this stage would help any. What I write is forgotten, and what I suggest is completely ignored.

Hey, come on, give me a break, two out of three ain't bad, right! Was I totally and utterly wrong for thinking you believe Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners on account of sin-hardened Jews? Or, is there a smidgen of truth to it?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123872
03/07/10 03:41 PM
03/07/10 03:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The wrath of God is not His getting angry and smiting people, but His reluctant withdraw, allowing people to experience the result of their choice.

Let's, as you have implored us, study this insight in light of Jesus while He was here in the flesh. When did Jesus, while here in the flesh, withdraw His protection and permit evil to befall sinners? Yes, He said would He do so after He returned to Heaven (referring to the destruction of Jews and Jerusalem in 70 AD), but what about while He was here in the flesh?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123884
03/07/10 09:27 PM
03/07/10 09:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Let's, as you have implored us, study this insight in light of Jesus while He was here in the flesh. When did Jesus, while here in the flesh, withdraw His protection and permit evil to befall sinners? Yes, He said would He do so after He returned to Heaven (referring to the destruction of Jews and Jerusalem in 70 AD), but what about while He was here in the flesh?

Ok, let's study what Jesus Christ lived and taught in regards to violence. How did Christ respond when His disciples wanted to use violence to protect Him? How did He respond when His disciples wanted to use violence to punish? How did Christ Himself respond to those who would violently treat Him?

With regards to your question, in the flesh Christ said, in regards to Jerusalem, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!" (Luke 13:34)

Here Christ speaks of the protection He longed to offer Jerusalem, but they would not.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123885
03/07/10 09:30 PM
03/07/10 09:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Hey, come on, give me a break, two out of three ain't bad, right! Was I totally and utterly wrong for thinking you believe Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners on account of sin-hardened Jews? Or, is there a smidgen of truth to it?

I've repeatedly said I think the capital punishment is similar in character to polygamy, wanting a king, divorce, etc. I've also present the father/hunter as an analogy as to what I think was happening. I've also said repeatedly, if we wish to know God's ideal will, we have but to look to Christ. How did Christ feel about violence?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123899
03/08/10 02:21 AM
03/08/10 02:21 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:

Ok, let's study what Jesus Christ lived and taught in regards to violence. How did Christ respond when His disciples wanted to use violence to protect Him? How did He respond when His disciples wanted to use violence to punish? How did Christ Himself respond to those who would violently treat Him?

With regards to your question, in the flesh Christ said, in regards to Jerusalem, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!" (Luke 13:34)

Here Christ speaks of the protection He longed to offer Jerusalem, but they would not.

Now that you've affirmed Jesus did not, while here in the flesh, withdraw His protection and permit evil to befall sinners, how does it help us understand why Jesus did it so many times in the OT?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123900
03/08/10 02:28 AM
03/08/10 02:28 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: MM

I've repeatedly said I think the capital punishment is similar in character to polygamy, wanting a king, divorce, etc. I've also present the father/hunter as an analogy as to what I think was happening. I've also said repeatedly, if we wish to know God's ideal will, we have but to look to Christ. How did Christ feel about violence?

1. Why did Jesus permit polygamy, having a king, getting divorced, etc?
2. Was it because of the hardness of their hearts?
3. If so, did Jesus command capital punishment because of the hardness of their hearts?
4. And, is permitting something and commanding something equivalent (referring to when Jesus does it)?
5. Finally, was Moses guilty of violence when he obeyed Jesus' command to kill sinners?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123910
03/08/10 03:49 PM
03/08/10 03:49 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: kland
M: Jesus told James and John, "Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of." I believe this means Jesus felt their spirit, their motive, their attitude, their reasons for wanting to call down fire on the Samaritans was wrong. Do you agree?

K: Oh absolutely, I didn't think there was any question to that. The question is you said it was a wrong spirit and so what would be the right spirit. Do you wish to reword your statement?

No. I believe it is accurate to say "Jesus felt their spirit, their motive, their attitude, their reasons for wanting to call down fire on the Samaritans was wrong." There are times, however, when having the right spirit based on the right reasons reflects the will of God. The right spirit, as you know, is a sorrowful spirit. Jesus does not delight in destroying sinners.
Ok, I was talking about your statement about being of the wrong spirit....

Quote:
M: You asked, "Logic still requires an answer to the question of how could they be in the right spirit in wanting to call down fire?" The answer is, They couldn't. The time was not right for Jesus to destroy the Samaritans.

K: If it was all just a timing issue, don't you think Jesus was a little harsh with His disciples? I mean, if Jesus was going to burn them anyway, why wouldn't He tell his disciples that their cup was not full instead of saying they didn't know what spirit they were of. What spirit were they of, poor timing?

M: No, Jesus wasn't too harsh. Their reasons for wanting to call down fire are never right even if the time was right.

Let's assume you have answered it here by saying it was impossible for them to have the right spirit....

Quote:
M: Nevertheless, I believe there were times when Jesus felt it was right to rain down fire on sinners. For example, Jesus felt the time was right to incinerate every man, woman, and child in S&G. He also felt the time was right to incinerate Nadab and Abihu. He also felt the time was right to incinerate the 250 sympathizers who lamented the destruction and death of Korah and company. I assume you disagree?

K: Well, it's kind of hard to agree or disagree when I don't believe Jesus in the past, then, in the present, nor in the future is going to set people on fire.

M:What do you think happened that the sinners named above were burned alive and died?
God withdrew His protection and the powers that be happened. Should that surprise you?

Quote:
M: Did Elijah initiate calling down fire upon the Samaritan soldiers? Ellen wrote: "Twice Ahaziah sent a company of soldiers to intimidate the prophet, and twice the wrath of God fell upon them in judgment. {PK 208.3} What thinkest thou? Who initiated it?

M:They probably believed, like Ellen, that Jesus initiated it. But their reasons for wanting to call down fire were wholly unlike Jesus' reasons for wanting Elijah to do it. Motive matters.

...But, by saying "motive matters", that seems to suggest that they could have the right motive. That is what I am keep on asking and have yet to receive an answer. Maybe I'm not asking it clearly, but am trying. How could the disciples have the right spirit? If as it appears to me you are hinting at, that it was impossible to have the right spirit, does that make sense that Jesus would tell them they didn't have the right spirit rather than telling them that wasn't for them to do?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123911
03/08/10 03:53 PM
03/08/10 03:53 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Now that you've affirmed Jesus did not, while here in the flesh, withdraw His protection and permit evil to befall sinners, how does it help us understand why Jesus did it so many times in the OT?

I'm sorry, I must have missed where Tom said that. Something fresh in my mind is Luke 8, Luke 9, Luke 10. Now, I don't know exactly if some evil befelled them, but it does seem to indicate/imply/or otherwise conveys the meaning whether correctly or incorrectly (to me) that He withdrew.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123919
03/08/10 05:57 PM
03/08/10 05:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: Jesus told James and John, "Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of." I believe this means Jesus felt their spirit, their motive, their attitude, their reasons for wanting to call down fire on the Samaritans was wrong. Do you agree?

K: Oh absolutely, I didn't think there was any question to that. The question is you said it was a wrong spirit and so what would be the right spirit. Do you wish to reword your statement?

M: No. I believe it is accurate to say "Jesus felt their spirit, their motive, their attitude, their reasons for wanting to call down fire on the Samaritans was wrong." There are times, however, when having the right spirit based on the right reasons reflects the will of God. The right spirit, as you know, is a sorrowful spirit. Jesus does not delight in destroying sinners.

K: Ok, I was talking about your statement about being of the wrong spirit....

I don't understand your point.

Quote:
M: You asked, "Logic still requires an answer to the question of how could they be in the right spirit in wanting to call down fire?" The answer is, They couldn't. The time was not right for Jesus to destroy the Samaritans.

K: If it was all just a timing issue, don't you think Jesus was a little harsh with His disciples? I mean, if Jesus was going to burn them anyway, why wouldn't He tell his disciples that their cup was not full instead of saying they didn't know what spirit they were of. What spirit were they of, poor timing?

M: No, Jesus wasn't too harsh. Their reasons for wanting to call down fire are never right even if the time was right.

K: Let's assume you have answered it here by saying it was impossible for them to have the right spirit....

The time and circumstances were not right for Jesus to rain down fire, so, yes, it was not possible to have the right spirit.

Quote:
M: Nevertheless, I believe there were times when Jesus felt it was right to rain down fire on sinners. For example, Jesus felt the time was right to incinerate every man, woman, and child in S&G. He also felt the time was right to incinerate Nadab and Abihu. He also felt the time was right to incinerate the 250 sympathizers who lamented the destruction and death of Korah and company. I assume you disagree?

K: Well, it's kind of hard to agree or disagree when I don't believe Jesus in the past, then, in the present, nor in the future is going to set people on fire.

M: What do you think happened that the sinners named above were burned alive and died?

K: God withdrew His protection and the powers that be happened. Should that surprise you?

Who or what is the "powers that be"?

Quote:

M: They probably believed, like Ellen, that Jesus initiated it. But their reasons for wanting to call down fire were wholly unlike Jesus' reasons for wanting Elijah to do it. Motive matters.

K: ...But, by saying "motive matters", that seems to suggest that they could have the right motive. That is what I am keep on asking and have yet to receive an answer. Maybe I'm not asking it clearly, but am trying. How could the disciples have the right spirit? If as it appears to me you are hinting at, that it was impossible to have the right spirit, does that make sense that Jesus would tell them they didn't have the right spirit rather than telling them that wasn't for them to do?

Jesus implied their spirit was wrong. The reasons they wanted to burn them alive were all wrong. Jesus had the right spirit about it. If the disciples had understood the time and circumstances as Jesus did it wouldn't have occurred to them to ask permission to call down fire. Elijah, however, was in harmony with the will of Jesus when he called down fire on the two bands of fifty.

Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!