HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Would Jesus Eat Today's Meat? [Re: Sarah Moss] #123271
02/07/10 09:03 PM
02/07/10 09:03 PM
RLH  Offline
Active Member 2010
Posting New Member
North Carolina, USA
Originally Posted By: Sarah Moss
Here's a question...

Is it possible to eat vegan without eating beans, nuts or gluten?

Wow, I guess anything's possible.

Re: Would Jesus Eat Today's Meat? [Re: Sarah Moss] #123275
02/08/10 12:55 PM
02/08/10 12:55 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I have the same question, Sarah, and I just provided some basis for that question in my response to your "Eating Vegan with Allergies?" thread.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Would Jesus Eat Today's Meat? [Re: kland] #124353
03/29/10 04:48 PM
03/29/10 04:48 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: kland
Upon leaving Eden to gain his livelihood by tilling the earth under the curse of sin, man received permission to eat also "the herb of the field." Genesis 3:18.

k: Am I correct in that you are making an association of "herb of the field" with vegetables?

Because....

Genesis 3:18 "the herb <`eseb> of the field <sadeh>"
  • `eseb - from an unused root meaning to glisten (or be green); grass (or any tender shoot):--grass, herb.
  • sadeh - or saday {saw-dah'-ee}; from an unused root meaning to spread out; a field (as flat):--country, field, ground, land, soil, X wild.
In Genesis 1:11,12 God created the herb yielding seed and the fruit tree yielding fruit after their kind.

In Genesis 1:29 God said He gave man every herb yielding seed and tree yielding fruit after their kind.

In Genesis 1:30, He gave to the beasts and fowl every green herb.
(As opposed to brown herb? Not really sure there's a difference here, but adding the word, green, would be a difference between what man and the animals ate)

In Genesis 2:5 it speaks of plant in the field and herb of the field before they grew. This could mean before God created them. It could be before man created fields.

In Genesis 2:19,20 it says that God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air.

Then in Genesis 3:18, it talks about the curse, the thorns, and having to eat the herb of the field.

Question: If it's not herb of the field what is it? Herb of the forest? Herb of the wayside? An interesting side thought would be, what about herbs of the water?

Question: If in 2:19,20 it talks about God forming beasts of the field, what about the other beasts? Beasts of the forest, beasts of the .... where?

Genesis 4:8 Cain and Able were in the field. Would this be the field Cain was a tiller of?

Abraham and Jacob bought fields, Esau was a man of the field, hunter of the field(?), Isaac killed venison in the field, Reuben found mandrakes in the field, there is the field (translated country) of Edom, cows were in the field, people worked in the field, sowed seed in the field, hid in the field. And don't forget the trees of the field clapping their hands!

"Of the field" sounds like a location, but varies between what one sows and works in and with where one can hide and hunt. Now, one may see deer in a wheat field, but one doesn't normally think of it as a good hiding place.

Question: Where did the plain herb and tree yielding fruit grow?

Is the last part of Genesis 3:18, when taken in context with the rest of that verse and the ones preceding and following it, detailing the curse - the curse of pain and toilsome labor?

Otherwise, one needs to answer such questions as what happens when you plant an herb of the forest in a field? Or vice versa. Does that make one a vegetable and the other a.... well what? You have a fruit of the tree, an herb of the field (claimed to be vegetable) and a plain herb (which would be what?). If fruit, why didn't God use the word fruit like He did with the trees? Why does Genesis 1:11,12 not include vegetables as in the leaves, stems, and roots? Does using the phrase "herb of the field" suddenly imply and encompass leaves, stems, and roots whereas herb of the forest or just plain herb does not?

Re: Would Jesus Eat Today's Meat? [Re: kland] #124356
03/29/10 05:29 PM
03/29/10 05:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Sarah, I doubt it is possible to achieve a balanced diet based on what is left over after eliminating meat, dairy, legumes, nuts, and gluten.

Re: Would Jesus Eat Today's Meat? [Re: kland] #124370
03/30/10 12:30 AM
03/30/10 12:30 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

We are drifting away from the original question, as Mike has reminded us. Nevertheless, it is simple to answer your questions.

There is but one observation lacking in your word study. The crucial words are not "herb of the...", but rather "yielding seed." It was the seed given as food, or the fruit which contained the seed.

In other words, man was given carrot seed for food, and the animals could have the carrot. wink If you don't eat carrot seed, the better example would be wheat versus straw. Man eats the wheat, animals eat the straw. When we look at the distinction between fruits and vegetables, the Bible's definition agrees with our modern one--fruit comes from the ripened flower, vegetable is any other part of the plant: leaf, root, stalk, or even the flower itself, I suppose.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Would Jesus Eat Today's Meat? [Re: Green Cochoa] #124382
03/30/10 03:30 PM
03/30/10 03:30 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The crucial words are not "herb of the...", but rather "yielding seed." It was the seed given as food, or the fruit which contained the seed.
I'm not sure one could say it was the seed. And I think it was said of Genesis 3:18 that the crucial words are "herb of the field" defining what vegetables are.

Genesis 1:29: "See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food.

It seems to me the subject or object is herb rather than seed and tree rather than fruit or seed. If we were to stay by the seed part, then likewise we would have to say it doesn't permit the peach but only the peach pit.

I'm not saying it says we are not to eat the fruit just that if you are defining what vegetables are and whether vegetables were given as food based on that verse, it may not be a wise approach. I agree several people repeat that vegetables were only permitted later, but that doesn't make it true nor does the text support it. Other people use it to say we are not to eat mushrooms or ferns. Others use it to say we are not to eat navel oranges (no seeds).

Re: Would Jesus Eat Today's Meat? [Re: kland] #124386
03/30/10 04:06 PM
03/30/10 04:06 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Do you think worms, parasites, germs, bacteria, or other pathogens is the only reason they were unclean and if we could have a way to insure sterilization of them, there would be no objection to eating unclean meat?
Either that or there would be something intrinsically evil about that which is called unclean, menstruating women for instance.
Quote:
Good point. Suppose everyone really has an allergy to cows' milk since we were never designed to drink it. That is my point, in that we should object to splicing genes since they are inserting proteins and DNA fragments that we were not designed to eat. However, for someone who drinks cows' milk or eat frog, is there any objection?
Concluding that humans were not designed to drink milk leads to the necessary conclusion that the ability to non the less drink it possessed by large populations of humans is evidence of evolution.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Would Jesus Eat Today's Meat? [Re: Green Cochoa] #124387
03/30/10 04:13 PM
03/30/10 04:13 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Do you think worms, parasites, germs, bacteria, or other pathogens is the only reason they were unclean and if we could have a way to insure sterilization of them, there would be no objection to eating unclean meat?

No, I left one item off the list that I forgot to include: toxins. As we see with shellfish and other unclean animals, toxins build up in their system--things like mercury, DDT, lead, arsenic, etc. So you would have to do more than merely sterilize--detoxification would also be required, and this is virtually impossible to do.
Good point. Suppose everyone really has an allergy to cows' milk since we were never designed to drink it. That is my point, in that we should object to splicing genes since they are inserting proteins and DNA fragments that we were not designed to eat. However, for someone who drinks cows' milk or eat frog, is there any objection?

I think allergies are of the devil, and God did not design them. So I don't believe that we must necessarily have an allergy simply on account of not having been designed for something. To take it one step further to illustrate my point, you may notice that the original diet did not include vegetables. Those appear to have been for the animals' sustenance. Our original diet was to have been grains, fruits and nuts (listed in that order in Genesis 1:29, which also constitutes the order of quantities, as in the food chart/pyramid). However, I don't think we have any natural allergies to carrots and potatoes, simply because we were not designed to eat them.
Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
I think allergy would not be a correct term for the problem with milk. Some people do not produce the enzymes to break down milk as adults. An allergy is caused by the immune system backfiering and attacking the body. The evidence suggests that the increase of allergies we now experience are caused by us being designed to have dirt under our fingernails. Largely lacking buggs to fight increases the risk of an allergy developing.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Would Jesus Eat Today's Meat? [Re: Sarah Moss] #124388
03/30/10 04:16 PM
03/30/10 04:16 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Sarah Moss
Here's a question...

Is it possible to eat vegan without eating beans, nuts or gluten?
For a short while. laugh

Galatians 2

Re: Would Jesus Eat Today's Meat? [Re: kland] #124390
03/30/10 10:07 PM
03/30/10 10:07 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The crucial words are not "herb of the...", but rather "yielding seed." It was the seed given as food, or the fruit which contained the seed.
I'm not sure one could say it was the seed. And I think it was said of Genesis 3:18 that the crucial words are "herb of the field" defining what vegetables are.

Genesis 1:29: "See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food.

It seems to me the subject or object is herb rather than seed and tree rather than fruit or seed. If we were to stay by the seed part, then likewise we would have to say it doesn't permit the peach but only the peach pit.

kland, God gave explicit instructions. The text is clear. The subject of the sentence is not "herb," but "I." But no one needs a grammar lesson here. Words are used to convey meaning, and very frequently they do so without being the subject of the sentence. In this case we have a qualifying phrase. God did not say "I have given you every herb." He said "I have given you every herb that yields seed." That specification is important. If you want to strip non-subject/object portions of sentences out (like prepositional phrases), and understand God's meaning that way, I suppose Adam and Eve had permission to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil too (all in prepositional phrases).

I'm not saying it says we are not to eat the fruit just that if you are defining what vegetables are and whether vegetables were given as food based on that verse, it may not be a wise approach. I agree several people repeat that vegetables were only permitted later, but that doesn't make it true nor does the text support it. Other people use it to say we are not to eat mushrooms or ferns. Others use it to say we are not to eat navel oranges (no seeds).

My view on the matter is that the vegetables were second-class compared with the fruits, nuts, and grains. Who wants to eat straw? How about roots? You have to get under the dirt to get to them, and they sure aren't that pretty. God gave us the best. The rest was intended for the animals. After sin, things did change. We now have briers and thorns too. Here in Asia, there are thorny plants that people eat. Of course, in North America, such plants as stinging nettles are edible too--just cook before eating (collect them with gloves and long sleeves, and take care not to have them touch your face). Obviously, we eat things that are less than the ideal these days.

Mushrooms and ferns were not part of the original diet. As I've already mentioned, and most people agree, we no longer eat the original diet. I eat mushrooms and ferns (Asians like them), but I don't try to claim they were part of the original specification.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!