HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,603
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125623
05/28/10 11:32 PM
05/28/10 11:32 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This is confusing the validity of an argument with the conclusion. The argument I presented is valid. That means that the logic from one step to another is sound, and if the assumptions are true, then the conclusion is true. You can take issues with the assumptions, in which case the conclusion might not be true.

Yes, I'm questioning the assumption that one must fight God in order to go along with evil. Although this is true in most cases, this is not true in all cases.

Quote:
The MB passage I cited earlier says that God's love has made it hard for the heedless and headstrong to destroy themselves. This seems to me to be equivalent to saying that one must resist the Holy Spirit to go along with evil. These seem to be speaking of the same thing. How is it that God's love makes it difficult for the heedless and headstrong to destroy themselves? Isn't it by the agency of the Holy Spirit? Aren't the "heedless" ones those who are "going along with evil"? (That's pretty much what "heedless" means).

You are basing your conclusion in terms of the effort involved. But if there is no effort involved in resisting the Holy Spirit (in the case of those who committed the unpardonable sin), you can't say that for them it's difficult to be lost. OTOH, we would still say it's difficult for them to be lost, because of the pain involved - which is what the MB passage is all about:

Yet do not therefore conclude that the upward path is the hard and the downward road the easy way. All along the road that leads to death there are pains and penalties, there are sorrows and disappointments, there are warnings not to go on. God's love has made it hard for the heedless and headstrong to destroy themselves. (MB 138)

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: kland] #125627
05/29/10 03:14 AM
05/29/10 03:14 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
I came across the following referenced in the March Review:
Originally Posted By: GC pg 608
By uniting with the
world and partaking of its spirit, they have come to view
matters in nearly the same light; and when the test is
brought, they are prepared to choose the easy, popular side.
This seems to me to say that following God is harder. However, there is a qualifier saying, by uniting with the world and partaking of its spirit. If one doesn't unite with and partake of the world's spirit, could it be a possibility that it is easier to follow God?

There are only 2 spirits: God/Jesus or Satan/world/self. We either partake of one or the other.

Following God is not just easier when partaking of God's Spirit; it is inevitable. It is impossible to walk in the flesh while filled with the Holy Spirit.

But the worldly side is "easier" regardless of the spirit one has. Note this:
Quote:
To corrupt our ways before God requires no effort; but to engraft habits of righteousness and truth upon the character takes time and patient endeavor. {CTBH 32.1}

Corruption requires "no effort." That's the easy way. It cannot get easier than "no effort."

The opposite direction - God's way - requires patient endeavor. It needs more effort than "no effort."

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Rosangela] #125628
05/29/10 03:18 AM
05/29/10 03:18 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
because of the pain involved - which is what the MB passage is all about:

Yet do not therefore conclude that the upward path is the hard and the downward road the easy way. All along the road that leads to death there are pains and penalties, there are sorrows and disappointments, there are warnings not to go on. God's love has made it hard for the heedless and headstrong to destroy themselves. (MB 138)

I agree. The MB quote's point regarding the "downward road" is that it is hard to BE there, not that it's hard to GET there. There are many inspired statements that tell us it takes a lot of work to get OUT of there. I haven't yet seen one quote that says that the wide road requires much work to get to.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: asygo] #125630
05/29/10 10:33 AM
05/29/10 10:33 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Arnold,

That sums up what I was trying to say. There's a difference between process and results. The results of the sinful road are hard to bear, but the road itself is the easy slide down. The results of the road to Heaven are easy on the eyes and on the weary traveler, who has been wearied by the difficulties along the way. So basically, we have a choice: weary road for blessed results, or easy road to a rotten end.

In the "Pilgrim's Progress," this journey is well illustrated. The portion dealing with the two children is thought-provoking: the one getting a reward early, and mocking and laughing at the other child while cavorting in his things, while the other child must patiently wait for his reward, for it has not come yet. Those looking on feel that the child with nothing has been treated unfairly. But in the end, his reward is far the better of the two. "Here is the patience of the saints." "He that endureth to the end..." receives the crown of life.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125645
05/30/10 02:11 PM
05/30/10 02:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you seem to be arguing sinners are saved by default if they do not consciously reject their salvation. You also seem to think it is easier to be saved than it is to be lost. Several pages ago I posted a bunch of SOP statements which articulate the opposite in no uncertain terms. I didn't see where you addressed those quotes.

Also, there is the following plain insight:

Quote:
When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the new heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into human nature. The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan. But unless we do yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one. We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end. {DA 324.1}

1. "When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the new heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into human nature. The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan."

This insight refutes the idea that sinners enter this world in a saved state. Otherwise, there would be no need for rebirth.

2. "But unless we do yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one. We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place."

Again, rebirth is requisite. Why? Because we are born lost.

3. "The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end."

Once again, she makes it clear - our natural state is to be lost. We must experience rebirth or we are serving sin, self, and Satan.

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #125651
05/30/10 10:54 PM
05/30/10 10:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
You are basing your conclusion in terms of the effort involved.

No, I'm not. I'm basing my conclusion based on the words used: "Do not therefore conclude that the downward path is the easy way." I'm going on the usage of the word "easy" to conclude that the downward path is not the easy way.

Similarly, Jesus said His yoke is easy and His burden light.

Quote:
But if there is no effort involved in resisting the Holy Spirit (in the case of those who committed the unpardonable sin), you can't say that for them it's difficult to be lost.

This is overlooking the great deal of effort was involved for them to reach that point. What also seems to be being not taken into consideration is how much God loves those who would be lost. He doesn't allow them to be easily be lost.

Quote:
OTOH, we would still say it's difficult for them to be lost, because of the pain involved - which is what the MB passage is all about:

What the passage is all about seems to me to be highlighted especially in the last sentence here. "God's love has made it hard for the heedless and headstrong to destroy themselves." This is why it's hard to be lost.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125652
05/30/10 11:01 PM
05/30/10 11:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GC
The results of the sinful road are hard to bear, but the road itself is the easy slide down.

This is precisely the error that it's vital that we not fall into. It's not an "easy slide down." It's not just the result of the sinful road that are hard to bear, but the road itself.

Quote:

This isn't dealing with the results, but the road itself. It says, "All along the road that leads to death there are pains and penalties, there are sorrows and disappointments ..." "Pains and penalties," "sorrows and disappointments." This is dealing with the way itself. "All along the way" is the journey, not the results. The journey itself is hard, as Scripture says, "The way of the transgressor is hard."

On the other hand, Jesus says:

Quote:
27All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.(Matt. 11:27-30)

Jesus reveals the Father to those who wish to learn of Him; He provides "rest unto our souls." His yoke is easy, and His burden light.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125653
05/30/10 11:03 PM
05/30/10 11:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Tom, you seem to be arguing sinners are saved by default if they do not consciously reject their salvation.

I disagree. Why do you think I seem to be arguing this? Please quote something I've said, or present some argument I've made to this effect in our discussion here. I don't think I've said anything like this. I've been arguing that we should not conclude that the downward path is the easy way, that Christ's yoke is easy and His burden light, that God's love has made it hard for the heedless to destroy themselves, and that one must resist the Holy Spirit in order to be lost. Do you disagree with any of these points?

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125657
05/31/10 02:30 AM
05/31/10 02:30 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

I think you misunderstand my point. Let me use a different illustration, which I think better illustrates what I am trying to say.

Imagine a fast-flowing mountain stream, whose edges may be a little calmer, with the exception of a few back-eddies, but whose center is swift and tumbling over sharp rocks. Some human "decoys" laugh and play in it as if they were river otters, while tumbling, sliding, and drifting downstream through the rapids and currents of the ever-broadening river. But those who are either enticed to follow these "decoys" or who are caught in the valley of indecision are alike swept along by the currents, receiving numerous cuts and scrapes as they pass over the sharp rocks and getting pounded at times by the waters which fall more precipitously. They think they are having some fun, in spite of the pains, not realizing the massive waterfall that looms squarely in their path at some distance ahead.

A small group of people are not so easily led to join the partying throng in their downward course. They follow a shaft of light upstream, at times inching their way carefully up over the narrow path whose steps are perilously near the rushing waters, and made slippery in their spray. Those in the midst of the stream at times seductively call to and invite the climbers to join them in their water play. At times they laugh and hurl insults at them instead. Buckets of water and even stones from the riverbed can come hurtling at the climbers, who do not always survive the abuse. Some give up, and slip into the waters. Eventually, they may join their new companions in deriding the climbers. Others glance away from the shaft of light in a moment of temptation, and lose their step. The abuse from the stream knocks some off their feet who had not firmly laid hold on the Rock. A few perish under the volley of stones cast their way, their blood staining the upward trail, at the same time becoming a landmark by which others can better mark the upward path.

Those who reach the top are richly rewarded with a wonderful paradise of comfort and joy in lush surroundings. Their enjoyment of the place is made so much the sweeter for the effort that it took to reach it. A holy joy can be seen on their faces as the Master of that place tells them "Well done, thou good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of thy Lord."

Those in the midst of the stream feel the upward way is too hard. They would rather enjoy the dubious comforts of the easy slide down, in spite of its frequent injury and certain end. They reason away their folly by saying things like "If we took the upward trail, we'd likely fall off near the top anyway, and then have so much the more downward journey to go through. Besides, I don't want to shed my blood on that miserable path." In fact, such reasonings, justifications, and excuses for their course come in almost as many shades of variety as there are travellers in the stream. No one needs to tell them that life is not all joy. They are keenly aware of this, and some of them hasten to the waterfall to get it over with. Yet they all feel that the stream requires less effort than the wearying trail by which only the "fools" would attempt to make passage. "Besides," say they, "who knows if there really is such a paradise at the top as is rumored? Better to have some fun while life lasts."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125659
05/31/10 02:25 PM
05/31/10 02:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: MM
Tom, you seem to be arguing sinners are saved by default if they do not consciously reject their salvation.

I disagree. Why do you think I seem to be arguing this? Please quote something I've said, or present some argument I've made to this effect in our discussion here. I don't think I've said anything like this. I've been arguing that we should not conclude that the downward path is the easy way, that Christ's yoke is easy and His burden light, that God's love has made it hard for the heedless to destroy themselves, and that one must resist the Holy Spirit in order to be lost. Do you disagree with any of these points?

By arguing everyone was justified on the cross aren't you arguing everyone is born saved?

Also, the SOP quotes I posted awhile ago make it clear it is easy to be lost and hard to be saved.

PS - I'll repost the quotes.

Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 04/29/24 07:16 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!