HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12644
02/23/05 03:09 PM
02/23/05 03:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Shelley, are you suggesting that the part where John says "but if you do sin" means we will never really be completely free of unknown sins and imperfections, that we'll always be sinful and defective in one way or another? If so, then I must admit it sounds rather discouraging.

Cheri, is that how you see it?

Does anybody else see it that way?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12645
02/23/05 06:08 PM
02/23/05 06:08 PM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings Brother Mike,

quote:
"Moses upon the mount of transfiguration was a witness to Christ's victory over sin and death. He represented those who shall come forth from the grave at the resurrection of the just. Elijah, who had been translated to heaven without seeing death, represented those who will be living upon the earth at Christ's second coming, and who will be "changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump;" when "this mortal must put on immortality," and "this corruptible must put on incorruption." 1 Cor. 15:51-53. Jesus was clothed with the light of heaven, as He will appear when He shall come "the second time without sin unto salvation." For He will come "in the glory of His Father with the holy angels." Heb. 9:28; Mark 8:38. The Saviour's promise to the disciples was now fulfilled. Upon the mount the future kingdom of glory was represented in miniature,--Christ the King, Moses a representative of the risen saints, and Elijah of the translated ones." {DA 421.4}
Today we are to be learning like Elijah, to forsake the corruptible to put on the incorruptible.

I believe that those that will be translated with the last trump will have learned to forsake sin, and will be wonderful presentable and ready to meet Christ in the clouds of glory. So in answer to your question, I believe that we may be completely and utterly free of our sinful character, because Christ told us to be perfect...not to just try but literally stated
Matthew 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

And we read that "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13.

Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri Fritz

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12646
02/23/05 06:24 PM
02/23/05 06:24 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I praise God for having an Advocate if I do stub my toe..
God Bless,
Will

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12647
02/23/05 08:28 PM
02/23/05 08:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Cheri.

Will, at what point can we expect to praise God when we stub our toe, instead of ... I mean, one of these days Jesus is going to throw down the golden censer, and if we curse afterwards, because we stub our toe, well, there isn't anyone to intercede on our behalf before God.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12648
02/23/05 08:36 PM
02/23/05 08:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Someone was explaining to me how God is too good to reveal our defects all at once because we wouldn't be able to handle it, that such knowledge would blow us away or crush out our life. But then I ran across this quote:

SC 29
One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. {SC 29.1}

In light of this inspired insight - What is considered an unknown defect of character?

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12649
02/23/05 08:48 PM
02/23/05 08:48 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Mike,
What is your interpretation of what John wrote in 1 John 2:1
quote:

1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

I am very familiar with all the points you have brought up, but you have not given your view and interpretation on this passage, or I may have not seen it.
God Bless,
Will

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12650
02/24/05 01:40 AM
02/24/05 01:40 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Will, this promise applies when we commit a known sin, and thank God for this promise, because most of us backslide pretty regularly. But I believe we need to study this text in its immediate context. John isn’t saying you will sin, but rather, if we sin. The word “if” implies a conditional aspect. Ascertaining the condition, therefore, is necessary in order to correctly understand the promise.

What is the promise? If we sin, Jesus acts as our advocate, because He is the propitiation for our sin. This promise assumes, of course, we have repented of our sin, because Jesus cannot apply the benefits of His blood to atone for our sin if we refuse to repent. And this promise only applies to someone who has committed a known sin, which means we have to sin in order to claim it. Sinning, therefore, is the conditional aspect of 1 John 2:1.

But salvation promises more than merely repentance and forgiveness, it promises born again believers freedom from sinning – now and forever. And, once again, these types of promises (i.e., freedom from sinning) imply a conditional aspect, namely, that we are dead to sin and awake to righteousness. To be free from sin we must be dead to sin, self and Satan.

But most importantly, we must be connected to Jesus, we must walk in the Spirit and mind of the new man, we must continually partake of the divine nature. John and Peter make it clear that it is impossible to commit a known sin if we are abiding in Christ, if we are connected to Him, if we are partaking of the divine nature. To commit a known sin, therefore, we must stop abiding in Jesus, and stop partaking of the divine nature.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12651
02/24/05 11:58 AM
02/24/05 11:58 AM
Shelley  Offline
Posting New Member
Australia
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
[QB] Shelley, are you suggesting that the part where John says "but if you do sin" means we will never really be completely free of unknown sins and imperfections, that we'll always be sinful and defective in one way or another? If so, then I must admit it sounds rather discouraging.

Yes, I believe until Jesus comes again we will remain imperfect. I am sorry that you see it as discouraging Mark. I see it as encouraging because I don't have to continually try to work at being perfect. I accept my imperfections and rejoice in the fact that I have Jesus as an advocate. He makes me right with God. AMEN TO THAT

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12652
02/24/05 03:45 PM
02/24/05 03:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
But Shelley, at what point would you be willing to sweat blood, if need be, to resist sinning? Believing that you cannot completely crucify your imperfections has, I would think, the potential of weakening your resolve to resist giving in to temptation. "Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin." Heb 12:4. I am asking these questions because I am interested in learning more about your view.

1. In light of the Steps to Christ paragraph quoted above, what do you consider an unknown character defect?

2. How do you explain, in light of what you believe about retaining imperfections, the following promises:

Romans
6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

1 Corinthians
10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

Galatians
5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

1 Peter
4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of [his] time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

2 Peter
1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

1 John
3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Re: What's the difference between being tempted and being guilty? #12653
02/25/05 12:30 AM
02/25/05 12:30 AM
Shelley  Offline
Posting New Member
Australia
Wow! What a lot of homework. I will copy it and get back to you when I look at it more thoroughly.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!