HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,193 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Did Ellen White believe in the Holy Spirit... [Re: Daryl] #126758
08/16/10 07:44 PM
08/16/10 07:44 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
She said about Christ:

From the days of eternity the Lord Jesus Christ was one with the Father” (p. 19).

"The name of God, given to Moses to express the idea of the eternal presence, had been claimed as His own by this Galilean Rabbi. He had announced Himself to be the self-existent One, He who had been promised to Israel, "whose goings forth have been from of old, from the days of eternity." Micah 5:2, margin. {p. 469}

In Christ is life, original, unborrowed, underived. . . . The divinity of Christ is the believer’s assurance of eternal life” (p. 530).

“The Saviour came forth from the grave by the life that was in Himself” (p. 785).

The book included also clear statements about the personhood of the Holy Spirit (which they did not believe):

“Sin could be resisted and overcome only through the mighty agency of the Third Person of the Godhead” (p. 671).

Re: Did Ellen White believe in the Holy Spirit... [Re: Rosangela] #126865
08/23/10 02:57 PM
08/23/10 02:57 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I assume there are other quotes in DA on the Third Person (Holy Spirit)?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Did Ellen White believe in the Holy Spirit... [Re: Daryl] #154590
08/02/13 10:15 AM
08/02/13 10:15 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
The denial of the personality of the Holy Spirit among Adventists appears to growing rapidly. A few years ago when this thread started it seemed like an anomaly but is becoming pervasive, similar to the feast day and 2520 movements. From the several contacts I've had with it, the denial of the person-hood of the Holy Spirit is invariably coupled with the denial of the eternal existence of Christ. The reason for that coupling seems to be that several of our Advent pioneers, excluding Ellen White, held these views initially. From what I've seen they came to a better understanding.

Re: Did Ellen White believe in the Holy Spirit... [Re: Charity] #154591
08/02/13 02:45 PM
08/02/13 02:45 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
The denial of the personality of the Holy Spirit among Adventists appears to growing rapidly. A few years ago when this thread started it seemed like an anomaly but is becoming pervasive

The Holy Spirit is many things:

1. Our Father (John 4:24)
2. His only begotten Son (Rev. 2:1 & 2:7; and so for all seven churches)
3. His words of truth (John 6:63)
4. His angels of heaven (Heb. 1:14)

Except for #3, which is a metaphor, they are all spirit (not flesh and blood like us) AND are holy. No.3 likens the breath that escapes our mouth, when we speak kind and truthful words to uplift others, to spirit which goes out from us to heal (to give hope and wisdom to) the object of our concern.

When Jesus spoke of the Comforter to come, he was not speaking of someone who was absent while he was with the disciples. The Comforter was already present. He said, "you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." (John 14:17) In other words, the Comforter ARE really the angels of God, "ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation." They come in the name of Jesus Christ (Rev. 1:1) and because they are able to reach further than Jesus Christ could have done in his humanity, they are said to be "IN US". They are of God, but not God (Rev. 22:8-9).

There are ONLY TWO BEINGS to whom worship is due: God the Father, and His Son with whom He has shared all His glory (Rev. 22:3). No one else!

Re: Did Ellen White believe in the Holy Spirit... [Re: James Peterson] #154638
08/04/13 09:52 PM
08/04/13 09:52 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: James Peterson
When Jesus spoke of the Comforter to come, he was not speaking of someone who was absent while he was with the disciples. The Comforter was already present. He said, "you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." (John 14:17) In other words, the Comforter ARE really the angels of God, "ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation." They come in the name of Jesus Christ (Rev. 1:1) and because they are able to reach further than Jesus Christ could have done in his humanity, they are said to be "IN US". They are of God, but not God (Rev. 22:8-9).

There are ONLY TWO BEINGS to whom worship is due: God the Father, and His Son with whom He has shared all His glory (Rev. 22:3). No one else!

Brother James, until recently most Adventists, including myself, had not given any thought to whether the Holy Spirit should be worshiped or not. Most of us assumed that He should be. A few years ago, one of my friends who's part of the anti-trinitarian movement within the church said that there is no scriptural mandate to worship the Holy Spirit. That took me by surprise but I studied it and had to agree there is no direct command to worship the Holy Spirit. In stead we're told many times that we should worship the Father and the Son. So I've been grateful ever since for learning that and rather than worshiping the Holy Spirit, I worship the Father and the Son, seeking the infilling of the Holy Spirit who represents them.

Another thing I learned from this movement is to place due weight on the Sonship of Christ. Jesus says of Himself that He is the eternal God, the I AM, yet He is also the Son. This is a seeming contradiction but only because we as finite humans can't fully grasp the notion of an eternal being who is also a Son. A son in our minds always has a beginning; Christ is eternal. But scripture says these are both true. We have to accept both ideas by faith.

James regarding the angel's being ministering spirits, I agree. The Comforter is the same though, not as the angels but as the Holy Spirit who we've been baptized into at the direction of our Lord. The office of the Holy Spirit is so essential to the plan of salvation that Christ spoke more of Him than any other topic. This is a topic He wants us to understand because it will help us co-operate with the Divine agencies that have been at work in the plan of salvation from the very beginning. The Holy Spirit was present when Christ took counsel with the Father to provide a ransom for man if he should fall. The Holy Spirit was at the cross when Christ died because we're told that it was through the Holy Spirit that Christ offered himself. Heb 9:14. And it's through the present intercession of the Holy Spirit pleading with our spirits that our prayers are sanctified. Romans 8:13-28. Denying the presence and reality of this Third Person results in regression of our understanding of the present work of God and Christ to seal His people in these final moments of the Day of Atonement. I hope you'll reconsider, my friend. Consider carefully the warning of Christ - all sin will be forgiven man but one - the sin against the Holy Spirit. Matthew 12:31. What could be a more direct sin against the Holy Spirit than to deny His very existence?

Re: Did Ellen White believe in the Holy Spirit... [Re: Charity] #154651
08/05/13 04:07 AM
08/05/13 04:07 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick

Brother James, until recently most Adventists, including myself, had not given any thought to whether the Holy Spirit should be worshiped or not. Most of us assumed that He should be. A few years ago, one of my friends who's part of the anti-trinitarian movement within the church said that there is no scriptural mandate to worship the Holy Spirit. That took me by surprise but I studied it and had to agree there is no direct command to worship the Holy Spirit. In stead we're told many times that we should worship the Father and the Son. So I've been grateful ever since for learning that and rather than worshiping the Holy Spirit, I worship the Father and the Son, seeking the infilling of the Holy Spirit who represents them.

Another thing I learned from this movement is to place due weight on the Sonship of Christ. Jesus says of Himself that He is the eternal God, the I AM, yet He is also the Son. This is a seeming contradiction but only because we as finite humans can't fully grasp the notion of an eternal being who is also a Son. A son in our minds always has a beginning; Christ is eternal. But scripture says these are both true. We have to accept both ideas by faith.

James regarding the angel's being ministering spirits, I agree. The Comforter is the same though, not as the angels but as the Holy Spirit who we've been baptized into at the direction of our Lord. The office of the Holy Spirit is so essential to the plan of salvation that Christ spoke more of Him than any other topic. This is a topic He wants us to understand because it will help us co-operate with the Divine agencies that have been at work in the plan of salvation from the very beginning. The Holy Spirit was present when Christ took counsel with the Father to provide a ransom for man if he should fall. The Holy Spirit was at the cross when Christ died because we're told that it was through the Holy Spirit that Christ offered himself. Heb 9:14. And it's through the present intercession of the Holy Spirit pleading with our spirits that our prayers are sanctified. Romans 8:13-28. Denying the presence and reality of this Third Person results in regression of our understanding of the present work of God and Christ to seal His people in these final moments of the Day of Atonement. I hope you'll reconsider, my friend. Consider carefully the warning of Christ - all sin will be forgiven man but one - the sin against the Holy Spirit. Matthew 12:31. What could be a more direct sin against the Holy Spirit than to deny His very existence?

The Holy Spirit is a heavenly being, holy and true, not of flesh and blood. Their word is metaphorically spoken of as being spirit as well.

Re: Did Ellen White believe in the Holy Spirit... [Re: James Peterson] #154683
08/06/13 04:32 AM
08/06/13 04:32 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

The Holy Spirit is a heavenly being, holy and true, not of flesh and blood. Their word is metaphorically spoken of as being spirit as well.

According to the above the Holy Spirit is simply a composite of all, and not a being at all.

I don't agree. EGW definitely says the holy Spirit is a person and scripture characterizes Him as a literal being.

He speaks (Acts 8:29)
teaches (Luke 12:12)
reveals (Luke 2:26)
testifies (Acts 20:23)
searches (1 Cor. 2:10,11)
He sets people apart for service and sends them on their way (Acts 13:2,4)
He commands and guides (Acts 8:29)
He declares things to come (John 16:13)

Romans 8:5 He sets our minds on the things of God
Romans 8:13 Through the Spirit we put to death the deeds of the body
Romans 15:30 says the Holy Spirit loves.
Romans 8:27 Says He has a mind

Looking at your texts:
John 4:24 which says God is spirit only tells us that God the Father and the Holy spirit are of the same substance. God the Father did not take on humanity, only Christ is encumbered with (glorified) human body. The problem is that modern language puts a meaning to "spirit" (as in no body or substance) that isn't scriptural. Scripture says there are DIFFERENT types of bodies (see 1 Cor. 15) Actually John 4:24 is saying God the Father is an intelligent Being and those who worship Him will worship with intelligence and in truth.

Rev. 2:1, 7 Christ speaks to the churches THROUGH the Holy Spirit. It is not saying Christ is the Holy Spirit. Christ gave the words to John, John wrote them down, we read them and the Holy Spirit impresses the truths of those words upon our minds.

John 6:63 "spirit" is in small letters. Again it is speaking of the mind - or thinking/believing ability -- it is by believing in Christ that we receive life, His Words are to become part of us for they will bring life.

Hebrews 1:14 -- Angels are ministering spirits (each one is a very real, intelligent, individual being) they are NOT the Holy Spirit.

Re: Did Ellen White believe in the Holy Spirit... [Re: dedication] #154684
08/06/13 04:56 AM
08/06/13 04:56 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

Originally Posted By: dedication

According to the above the Holy Spirit is simply a composite of all, and not a being at all.

No.

Rather the same term, HOLY SPIRIT, as used in the Bible, could mean one of three BEINGS, or the word of Truth: depending on the context.

This is much the same as THE Christ is either Michael, the Angel of the LORD, Jesus of Nazareth, the Son of God, the Lamb, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, and so forth: depending on the context.

Except that the HOLY SPIRIT refers to different heavenly Beings: sometimes the Father, sometimes the Son, sometimes, the angel of God, or, metaphorically, sometimes the word of Truth. It is like the Prime Minister can refer to Stephen Harper, or Pierre Trudeau, or John MacDonald, etc., etc.: depending on the year.

Re: Did Ellen White believe in the Holy Spirit... [Re: dedication] #154685
08/06/13 05:07 AM
08/06/13 05:07 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
What does the word "another" mean?

When Jesus says,
John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

was He talking about Himself, or an essence of Himself? Or about "another"?

This "other" One (another Comforter) will not testify about Himself, (John 16:13) but about Christ. (John 15:26)

Of course there are texts that seem to say it is Christ "coming to us". For the nature of the Godhead is that when ONE of the three is present, all three are present. For they know each others thoughts as if they were their own

Re: Did Ellen White believe in the Holy Spirit... [Re: James Peterson] #154686
08/06/13 05:09 AM
08/06/13 05:09 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

... the HOLY SPIRIT refers to different heavenly Beings: sometimes the Father, sometimes the Son, sometimes, the angel of God, or, metaphorically, sometimes the word of Truth. It is like the Prime Minister can refer to Stephen Harper, or Pierre Trudeau, or John MacDonald, etc., etc.: depending on the year.

So according to your understand there is no Holy Spirit, it only refers to a "job" that can be filled by any heavenly being?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!