HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,662
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, dedication, Daryl, daylily, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Tom] #126919
08/26/10 03:26 AM
08/26/10 03:26 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Again, to address your points - No, "abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded" does not include sinning in the ways you named above. However, they will "perfect holiness" as they daily grow and mature in the fruits of the Spirit. The growth and maturation they experience while abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature is "an advance from one stage of perfection to another." {ML 250.4} And this process will continue throughout eternity.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #126926
08/26/10 04:51 AM
08/26/10 04:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is a new page on my browser, so I'll repost what I asked:

Quote:
So you're saying if you are abiding in Jesus Christ, it's not possible for you to unknowingly treat your wife in a negative way, that you might be able to improve, if you had more light? Also, it's not possible for you to misrepresent God in some way because you've misunderstood His character?

To put it another way, abiding in Jesus implies, as you see things:

1.That you will treat your wife perfectly.
2.That you perfectly know God's character. (or, at a minimum, whatever lack you have regarding knowing God's character correctly, won't impact how you represent Him to others).

I don't see that you addressed these points.

Are you agreeing with what I wrote? (in terms of being an accurate representation of what you're saying) If not, please correct. Is so, please just say so.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Tom] #126933
08/26/10 02:32 PM
08/26/10 02:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. Yes, while "abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded" people will treat their spouses perfectly.

2. Yes, while "abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded" people know God's character perfectly.

3. However, perfection is not a static state. "Perfecting holiness" will continue throughout eternity. In Christ, people will be more perfect tomorrow than they are today.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #126940
08/26/10 04:55 PM
08/26/10 04:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1. Yes, while "abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded" people will treat their spouses perfectly.

I see a problem here. If you perceive yourself as abiding in Jesus, then you will reject any idea that you could improve the way you treat your spouse, since, according to your way of thinking you must already be treating her perfectly.

This is a sad and limiting theology, that you have no possibility of improving how you treat those you love.

Quote:
2. Yes, while "abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded" people know God's character perfectly.

This, to my mind, is incredibly shallow. We'll be learning about God's character throughout eternity. How can you think that you know it perfectly now? Also, if you know God's character perfectly already, how could you possibly change your mind in regards to anything relating to God?

Quote:
3. However, perfection is not a static state. "Perfecting holiness" will continue throughout eternity. In Christ, people will be more perfect tomorrow than they are today.

So by "perfectly" you mean "imperfectly"? That is, if you treat your wife perfectly, as the word is ordinarily used, this means one could not treat one's wife better than one is already treating her, and there is no error or flaw in the way one is treating her. But if one can treat one's wife "more perfectly' tomorrow than today, this implies that one *can* improve upon the way one is treating her, meaning (according to the normal usage of the word), that one was treating her imperfectly.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Tom] #126971
08/27/10 02:14 PM
08/27/10 02:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, how do you interpret the following insight - "perfecting holiness" (2 Cor 7:1)?

And, how do you interpret the following insight - "The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another. {ML 250.4}

I believe Jesus grew in grace and matured more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. He advanced from "one stage of perfection to another." Like a seed, which is perfect at each stage, so too, believers are perfect at each stage. But just because people progress from one stage of perfection to the next it does not mean the previous stage was defective.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #126988
08/27/10 06:49 PM
08/27/10 06:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Tom, how do you interpret the following insight - "perfecting holiness" (2 Cor 7:1)?

Here's the NIV:

Quote:
1Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

This seems OK. I didn't look at the Greek to see what the precise translation should be, but will stick with this for now.

Quote:
And, how do you interpret the following insight - "The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul."

The law is perfect, and it converts the one who mediates upon it, observes it, etc.

Quote:
Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another. {ML 250.4}

It's clear that if one can progress from one stage of perfection to another that "perfection" here does not imply a lack of ability to improve. So one should be able to improve upon how one treats another.

Quote:
I believe Jesus grew in grace and matured more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. He advanced from "one stage of perfection to another." Like a seed, which is perfect at each stage, so too, believers are perfect at each stage. But just because people progress from one stage of perfection to the next it does not mean the previous stage was defective.

This doesn't make sense to me. Jesus was perfect in a different sense. There was nothing He did that could be improved, at any stage of His life. This doesn't apply to us. Or is this your point? Do you believe that once one is born again, one is like Jesus Christ in the sense that as there was nothing He did which could be improved upon, so there is nothing you do which cannot be improved upon?

If you don't believe you can improve your view of God's character, then what is your purpose in studying? Just to instruct others?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Tom] #127002
08/27/10 11:09 PM
08/27/10 11:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Tom, how do you interpret the following insight - "perfecting holiness" (2 Cor 7:1)?

T: Here's the NIV: "Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God." This seems OK. I didn't look at the Greek to see what the precise translation should be, but will stick with this for now.

Does this mean perfecting holiness involves unperfecting unholiness?

Quote:
M: And, how do you interpret the following insight - "The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul."

T: The law is perfect, and it converts the one who mediates upon it, observes it, etc.

"Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another. {ML 250.4}

T: It's clear that if one can progress from one stage of perfection to another that "perfection" here does not imply a lack of ability to improve. So one should be able to improve upon how one treats another."
But does it also imply all previous behavior was imperfect and sinful?

[quote]M: I believe Jesus grew in grace and matured more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. He advanced from "one stage of perfection to another." Like a seed, which is perfect at each stage, so too, believers are perfect at each stage. But just because people progress from one stage of perfection to the next it does not mean the previous stage was defective.

T: This doesn't make sense to me. Jesus was perfect in a different sense. There was nothing He did that could be improved, at any stage of His life. This doesn't apply to us. Or is this your point? Do you believe that once one is born again, one is like Jesus Christ in the sense that as there was nothing He did which could be improved upon, so there is nothing you do which cannot be improved upon? If you don't believe you can improve your view of God's character, then what is your purpose in studying? Just to instruct others?

Jesus was, like a seed, perfect at all stages. So, too, believers are, while abiding in Jesus, advancing "from one stage of perfection to another."

Quote:
The Majesty of heaven, the King of glory, became a babe in Bethlehem, and for a time represented the helpless infant in its mother's care. In childhood He spoke and acted as a child, honoring His parents, and carrying out their wishes in helpful ways. But from the first dawning of intelligence He was constantly growing in grace and in a knowledge of truth. {AG 282.2}

You seem to be suggesting Jesus' knowledge, faith, and experience was just as mature in infancy as it was in adulthood.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127009
08/28/10 04:32 AM
08/28/10 04:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Tom, how do you interpret the following insight - "perfecting holiness" (2 Cor 7:1)?

T: Here's the NIV: "Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God." This seems OK. I didn't look at the Greek to see what the precise translation should be, but will stick with this for now.

Does this mean perfecting holiness involves unperfecting unholiness?

?

Quote:
T: This doesn't make sense to me. Jesus was perfect in a different sense. There was nothing He did that could be improved, at any stage of His life. This doesn't apply to us. Or is this your point? Do you believe that once one is born again, one is like Jesus Christ in the sense that as there was nothing He did which could be improved upon, so there is nothing you do which cannot be improved upon? If you don't believe you can improve your view of God's character, then what is your purpose in studying? Just to instruct others?

M:Jesus was, like a seed, perfect at all stages. So, too, believers are, while abiding in Jesus, advancing "from one stage of perfection to another."

You didn't comment on the point I made.

Quote:
The Majesty of heaven, the King of glory, became a babe in Bethlehem, and for a time represented the helpless infant in its mother's care. In childhood He spoke and acted as a child, honoring His parents, and carrying out their wishes in helpful ways. But from the first dawning of intelligence He was constantly growing in grace and in a knowledge of truth. {AG 282.2}

You seem to be suggesting Jesus' knowledge, faith, and experience was just as mature in infancy as it was in adulthood.

?

No, I didn't suggest this. Why do you think so?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Tom] #127019
08/28/10 05:50 PM
08/28/10 05:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

M: Does this mean perfecting holiness involves unperfecting unholiness?

T: ?

What do you think "perfecting holiness" involves, includes?

M: Jesus was, like a seed, perfect at all stages. So, too, believers are, while abiding in Jesus, advancing "from one stage of perfection to another."

T: You didn't comment on the point I made.

I believe Jesus perfected holiness every day of His life. I don't believe He was as perfect as an infant or child as He was as an adult. He advanced "from one stage of perfection to another." The same thing holds true for believers while they are abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature. They are constantly improving and perfecting holiness, which does not involve, include sinning and repenting.

T: There was nothing He did that could be improved, at any stage of His life.

M: You seem to be suggesting Jesus' knowledge, faith, and experience was just as mature in infancy as it was in adulthood.

T: No, I didn't suggest this. Why do you think so?

Because you said so.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Victory Over SIN [Re: Mountain Man] #127029
08/28/10 07:08 PM
08/28/10 07:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

M: Does this mean perfecting holiness involves unperfecting unholiness?

T: ?

What do you think "perfecting holiness" involves, includes?

Look above, in this quote.

Quote:

M: Jesus was, like a seed, perfect at all stages. So, too, believers are, while abiding in Jesus, advancing "from one stage of perfection to another."

T: You didn't comment on the point I made.

M:I believe Jesus perfected holiness every day of His life. I don't believe He was as perfect as an infant or child as He was as an adult. He advanced "from one stage of perfection to another." The same thing holds true for believers while they are abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature. They are constantly improving and perfecting holiness, which does not involve, include sinning and repenting.

But believers are not perfect. Jesus Christ was perfect. I'm talking about in the sense of never having done wrong. There is nothing that could be improved in what Jesus did, is there? The same is not true of us. We can improve.

Quote:
T: There was nothing He did that could be improved, at any stage of His life.

M: You seem to be suggesting Jesus' knowledge, faith, and experience was just as mature in infancy as it was in adulthood.

T: No, I didn't suggest this. Why do you think so?

M:Because you said so.

No I didn't.

Reply Quote
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 06/01/24 09:38 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!