HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 48 of 103 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127119
08/30/10 03:07 PM
08/30/10 03:07 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Let X be some temptation that you have. If God is certain that you will overcome this temptation, then it is certain that you will. If it is certain that you will overcome the temptation, then there is no chance that you won't, and the temptation, by definition, is not a real temptation, because a real temptation means you might fail. But it's not possible for you to fail, because God is certain that you will succeed, and everything God is certain will occur is certain to occur.

So we have a contradiction. How do we resolve the contradiction? There's two ways. Either the temptation isn't real (i.e., it's not possible for you to fail), or God isn't certain that you will overcome it.

What do you mean? If God knows that I will break my leg and so this is certain to happen, then the braking of my leg is not real?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127123
08/30/10 03:47 PM
08/30/10 03:47 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Jesus knew with absolute certainty He would succeed on the cross.
Again, you have not defined what risk is. How did He risk all, if there was no risk? What is risk?

Quote:
Peril is in the eyes of the beholder. From the Father's point of view (the future is like history) Jesus succeeded and heaven is not in danger. Also, from the very beginning, unfallen beings have been absolutely certain the Father and the Son will win the GC. They have never doubted it. So, in what sense was heaven in peril?
Interesting position you've set yourself in. At what point, do you suppose, that the fallen angels, before they were fallen, went from absolutely certain God was right to either certain God was wrong, or uncertain God was right. What are the fallen angels certain or uncertain of now? What caused their condition of certainty to change? Is it possible for one who is certain to lose the certainty?

Quote:
For God the future is like a rerun. He knows what will happen because He has already watched it play out. He's not like us in that we can only guess several ways something might play out. Reporting the facts after the fact does not alter the facts. Like reading a history book and knowing ahead of time how it will end does not alter reality.
If we were to assume that God knew absolutely certain Jesus would succeed, that He knows everything, then would it follow He knew absolutely certain that Lucifer would fail? And if He knew that, why Did He create Lucifer? Is this some sort of Yin-Yang idea that God created evil so that we can "know His love" when He removes it?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #127125
08/30/10 03:55 PM
08/30/10 03:55 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Rosangela

What do you mean? If God knows that I will break my leg and so this is certain to happen, then the braking of my leg is not real?

That is, the risk or lack of risk is real or not.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #127126
08/30/10 03:59 PM
08/30/10 03:59 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Some rides in amusement parks create the experience of being in danger, even though strict regulations (usually) ensure that no user in fact is in danger.

It would follow that the tourist perceived experience and the reality of said experience are different.

Is it a correct observation that Rosangela is speaking on the perceived reality while Tom is speakiing on the factual reality?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127131
08/30/10 04:39 PM
08/30/10 04:39 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
It's possible. I think Tom has clarified what he was saying, but maybe it was overlooked. Perceiving danger and there actually being danger are two completely different things. Tom was talking about real danger, real risk, not imaginary.

Personally, I've never experienced being in danger at amusement parks. I had complete faith there was no danger and found most rides boring, especially when you have to wait in line 45 minutes for 20 seconds of ride. However, later I heard some parks had rides which fell off the tracks. So, I guess I may have really been in danger, but did not perceive it.

What if God knew that the bolts holding it together were working they're way loose which would cause a disastrous crash and would coincide at the same time my turn came, but overruled natural consequences so that it didn't happen, but did happen on the next turn. Did that remove risk for me? Or was my experience unlike the one after mine? Did I experience the same risk as the one before and after? Or was I somehow sheltered and did not experience it in the same way?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #127132
08/30/10 04:42 PM
08/30/10 04:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: Jesus knew with absolute certainty He would succeed on the cross.

K: Again, you have not defined what risk is. How did He risk all, if there was no risk? What is risk?

Risk refers to the fact Jesus took upon Himself the ability and freedom to sin, fall, and fail and that He could have sinned, fallen, and failed. As an aside, do you think risk included the possibility Satan might kill Jesus?

Quote:
M: Peril is in the eyes of the beholder. From the Father's point of view (the future is like history) Jesus succeeded and heaven is not in danger. Also, from the very beginning, unfallen beings have been absolutely certain the Father and the Son will win the GC. They have never doubted it. So, in what sense was heaven in peril?

K: Interesting position you've set yourself in. At what point, do you suppose, that the fallen angels, before they were fallen, went from absolutely certain God was right to either certain God was wrong, or uncertain God was right. What are the fallen angels certain or uncertain of now? What caused their condition of certainty to change? Is it possible for one who is certain to lose the certainty?

I was referring to unfallen angels living after the great controversy began. From that time forward they have never doubted God will win and Satan will lose. So, in what sense, before Jesus succeeded on the cross, were they in peril?

To answer your questions above, obviously it is possible to go from feeling certain to feeling uncertain. Why did one-third of the angels rebel? I suppose that's a mystery we won't understand until Jesus explains it to us in heaven.

Quote:
M: For God the future is like a rerun. He knows what will happen because He has already watched it play out. He's not like us in that we can only guess several ways something might play out. Reporting the facts after the fact does not alter the facts. Like reading a history book and knowing ahead of time how it will end does not alter reality.

K: If we were to assume that God knew absolutely certain Jesus would succeed, that He knows everything, then would it follow He knew absolutely certain that Lucifer would fail? And if He knew that, why Did He create Lucifer? Is this some sort of Yin-Yang idea that God created evil so that we can "know His love" when He removes it?

Yes, the Godhead knew in advance, before they created anything, which angels and humans would rebel and be destroyed in the lake of fire. Why did the Godhead create them anyhow? The following passages provide an insight:

The plan for our redemption was not an afterthought, a plan formulated after the fall of Adam. It was a revelation of "the mystery which hath been kept in silence through times eternal." Rom. 16:25, R. V. It was an unfolding of the principles that from eternal ages have been the foundation of God's throne. From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. So great was His love for the world, that He covenanted to give His only-begotten Son, "that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16. {DA 22.2}

The purpose and plan of grace existed from all eternity. Before the foundation of the world it was according to the determinate counsel of God that man should be created, endowed with power to do the divine will. But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning. {AG 129.2}

The fall of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent. Redemption was not an afterthought, a plan formulated after the fall of Adam, but an eternal purpose, suffered to be wrought out for the blessing not only of this atom of a world, but for the good of all the worlds that God had created. {ST, December 15, 1914 par. 3}

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127133
08/30/10 04:46 PM
08/30/10 04:46 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Let X be some temptation that you have. If God is certain that you will overcome this temptation, then it is certain that you will. If it is certain that you will overcome the temptation, then there is no chance that you won't, and the temptation, by definition, is not a real temptation, because a real temptation means you might fail. But it's not possible for you to fail, because God is certain that you will succeed, and everything God is certain will occur is certain to occur.

So we have a contradiction. How do we resolve the contradiction? There's two ways. Either the temptation isn't real (i.e., it's not possible for you to fail), or God isn't certain that you will overcome it.

Here's the argument you said you agreed with:

Quote:
My argument has been the following:
1.If God is certain an event will occur, say X, then X is certain to occur.
2.If X is certain to occur, then there is no risk that it will not occur.

Let X be some temptation which you overcome. Then substituting for X:

1.God is certain you will overcome some specific temptation.
2.Therefore it is certain you will overcome the specific temptation.

However, the definition of temptation is something which you might fail to overcome. Uncertainty is built into the definition of temptation. The contradiction results when uncertainty (definition of temptation) meets certainty (point 2 from the argument).

It cannot simultaneously be the case that you experience a real temptation, yet there is no chance that you might fail to it. The fact that God knows what you will do is irrelevant to this contradiction. It's just the assumption that was used to arrive at the contradiction.

That a valid argument led to a conclusion proves the assumption is false. This is a standard form of argument, a proof by contradiction.

1.Start with assumption.
2.Proceed with valid argument.
3.End with false conclusion.
4.This proves the starting assumption is false.

This is what I did. Your question about breaking your leg makes no sense. There's no question of uncertainty/certainty involved.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #127134
08/30/10 04:51 PM
08/30/10 04:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
It's possible. I think Tom has clarified what he was saying, but maybe it was overlooked. Perceiving danger and there actually being danger are two completely different things. Tom was talking about real danger, real risk, not imaginary.

Personally, I've never experienced being in danger at amusement parks. I had complete faith there was no danger and found most rides boring, especially when you have to wait in line 45 minutes for 20 seconds of ride. However, later I heard some parks had rides which fell off the tracks. So, I guess I may have really been in danger, but did not perceive it.

What if God knew that the bolts holding it together were working they're way loose which would cause a disastrous crash and would coincide at the same time my turn came, but overruled natural consequences so that it didn't happen, but did happen on the next turn. Did that remove risk for me? Or was my experience unlike the one after mine? Did I experience the same risk as the one before and after? Or was I somehow sheltered and did not experience it in the same way?

Risk is always real. The fact God knows the outcome in advance does not make the risk more real or less real. The chances of actually suffering loss depends on if God chooses to supernaturally intervene or not. The risk remains the same; the chances of suffering loss depends on several factors.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127136
08/30/10 05:10 PM
08/30/10 05:10 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Thomas
Some rides in amusement parks create the experience of being in danger, even though strict regulations (usually) ensure that no user in fact is in danger.

It would follow that the tourist perceived experience and the reality of said experience are different.

Is it a correct observation that Rosangela is speaking on the perceived reality while Tom is speakiing on the factual reality?

This is a good question to ask.

In terms of free will, there are two definitions that are most commonly used. One (called "compatibilistic," because it is compatible with determinism) says that you have free will if you are able to do that which you want to do. (it doesn't matter that you only have one choice; the important thing is that you can do what you choose to do). The other (called "incompatibilistic," because it is not compatible with determinism; also called "libertarian") says that you have free will if you can bring about either an event X or Y at a given point in time. The important thing is not that you can do what you want to do, but that you actually have the ability (not just perceived, but in reality) to choose to do either X or Y.

Traditionally SDA's, coming from an Arminian tradition, have held to the libertarian definition. Calvinists hold to the compatibilistic definition.

I have presented arguments that there is a logical contradiction to holding both the idea that God has exhaustive definite foreknowledge (or, to use Mike's way of putting it, that God sees the future like a re-run) and libertarian free will (free will is "factual reality" as opposed to "perceived reality").

If one takes the position that free will is "perceived reality," then there isn't a logical contradiction between this idea, and the idea that God sees the future like a rerun. Also the risk referred to would be "perceived reality," as opposed to "factual reality."

So this is a good observation. I have been taking the comments I've been quoting as "factual reality," so that when it says that "all heaven was imperiled for our redemption," I understand this to mean that an actual risk was undertaken (that is, God Himself perceived that He was taking a risk).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #127137
08/30/10 06:41 PM
08/30/10 06:41 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

Even if your mind knows there is no danger, your body would still react as if you were in danger when you fall down 80 meters free fall. smile
Quote:

If you are in a car crash, but was wearing your seatbelt, your experience would be different from another person who crashed in a similar car in the same speed but who was not using seatbelt. God overruling the natural results of broken amusement park equipment would in my opinion work as a seat belt for you in terms of risk.

If someone invented a time machine and one of us could go back to Fords Theather in Washington the April 14, 1865, would Abraham Lincolns assassination be certain? Could he be saved? If someone would come in this time machine from 100 years in the future, and they brought knowledge of some major event in our near future life, would this event be as certain as presumably Lincolns death 150 years ago if we could travel there to witness it? If none of those events could in any way be changed through someone capable of travelling back through time with knowledge about it, then are not the calvinist right and the believer ever moving towards eternal redemption or eternal damnation without a real choice in the matter (but yet with an perceived choice akin to the perceived emotions one gets at a theme park)?

Ie, is salvation a theme park ride where some are sitting in the broken cart which will fall off in the 90 degree turn and others are sitting in the functioning cart which will safely arrive at the departure point once the ride is finished? All having the same perceived experience until the broken cart falls off, and none able to change the cart they have been assigned to by the theme park staff.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Page 48 of 103 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!