HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 3,496 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Where is the harm in liquor or drinking..? [Re: JCS] #125216
05/05/10 02:02 AM
05/05/10 02:02 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: JCS
I'm curious, what is your conclusion based on this find GC?
"Find?"

It's not a "find." At least not to me. We even discussed this in one my college theology classes. There were no conclusions. I have no answer. It is a complete mystery. I hear lots of different "explanations," but none based on substantiable facts. For Deut. 14, some say that the word "shekar" was a scribal error (i.e. an introduction to the text, and not authored by Moses). This basically means we pick and choose which words we accept in the Bible. I have a hard time with doing that, as it opens the floodgates to many other "pick your own doctrine" scenarios. Some others try to say "shekar" is just the same as the Greek word for wine...meaning it could also apply to grape juice. But the context clearly shows this view to be in error, and a cursory comparison to other passages shows the usage of the word in speaking of alcohol. Some say God allowed certain things back then which are no longer allowed. We have grown in truth. There are many explanations. None has yet satisfied me completely. As I said, I need something that is supportable by more than just opinion--including my own opinion.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Where is the harm in liquor or drinking..? [Re: Green Cochoa] #125219
05/05/10 05:29 AM
05/05/10 05:29 AM
JCS  Offline
Active Member 2012
Colorado, USA
Hmm... Very interesting indeed. Almost like as if God let's us see what we want to see or to force us to look for a common principle of truth in things even when it isn't obvious.

Re: Where is the harm in liquor or drinking..? [Re: Suzanne] #125221
05/05/10 07:29 AM
05/05/10 07:29 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Suzanne
ALCOHOL

Question: Did not Jesus and Paul in the Bible endorse the drinking of wine?

Answer: Let Inspiration speak: "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging; and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." Proverbs 20:1.

"Who hath woe" who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder." Proverbs 23:29-32.

"The Bible nowhere teaches the use of intoxicating wine, either as a beveraage or as a symbol of the blood of Christ. --Ellen White, Healthful Living, 113.

"The wine created by Christ at this time (the marriage in Cana of Galilee), was the best wine those present had ever tasted. But it was entirely free from all fermentation. Christ Himself had forbidden the use of fermented drink, saying: 'Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die; it shall be a statute forever throughout your generations; and that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean; and that ye may teach the children of Israel all the statutes, which the Lord hath spoken unto them by the hand of Moses.' Leviticus 10:9-11.

"Fermented liquor confuses the senses and perverts the powers of the being. God is dishonored when men have not sufficient respect for themselves to practise strict temperance. Fermented wine is not a natural production. The Lord never made it, and with its production He has nothing to do. Paul advised Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach's sake and often infirmities, but he meant the unfermented juice of the grape. He did not advise Timothy to take what the Lord had prohibited." --Ellen White, Signs of the Times, Sept. 6, 1899.

"Some who claim to be Christians feel at liberty to use intoxiating drink, and in this particular they claim to be in harmony with Christ. But Christ did not set the example they claim to imitate. Be assured that He did not make intoxicating wine on the occasion of His first miracle. He gave to those present a drink which it is safe to give to all humanity--the pure juice of the grape. Christ never placed a glass of fermented liquor to His lips or to the lips of His disciples. Drunkenness was rare in Palestine, but Christ looked down the ages, and saw in every generation what the use of wine would do for the users, therefore at this feast He set a right example." Ibid.

"The wine which Christ provided for the feast, (at Cana) and that which He gave to the disciples as a symbol of His own blood, was the pure juice of the grape. To this the prophet Isaiah refers when he speaks of the new wine 'in the clusters,' and says, 'Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it' " Isa. 65:8. --Ellen White, Desire of Ages, p. 149.

"A single glass of wine may open the door of temptation which will lead to habits of drunkenness." --Testimonies, Vol. 4:578.

"When temperance is presented as a part of the gospel, many will see their need of reform. They will see the evil of intoxicating liquors and that total adstinence is the only platform on which God's people can conscientiously stand." Testimonies, Vol. 7:75.

"True temperance teaches us to dispense entirely with everything hurtful and to use judiciously that which is healthful." --Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 562.

Comment: Brothers and sisters, Inspiration has spoken!

Suzanne
Not to question the points made in the post, Id still point out that the answer seem disconnected from the question. Answering a question concerning what Jesus and Paul wrote, I would expect, would quote what they said and go from there. Quoting commentary is just not the same thing. If the question had been "Does Ellen White endorse the drinking of wine?", the answer would have been a closer fit.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Where is the harm in liquor or drinking..? [Re: JCS] #125222
05/05/10 07:37 AM
05/05/10 07:37 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: JCS
Hmm... Very interesting indeed. Almost like as if God let's us see what we want to see or to force us to look for a common principle of truth in things even when it isn't obvious.
You mean like: "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them."?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Where is the harm in liquor or drinking..? [Re: Green Cochoa] #125231
05/05/10 03:27 PM
05/05/10 03:27 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
But the context clearly shows this view to be in error, and a cursory comparison to other passages shows the usage of the word in speaking of alcohol.
I agree. It uses wine which could be alcoholic, then it emphasizes strong drink leaving no room for doubt. We should take it for what it says. However, I don't see it contradicting what Ellen White says. The Bible also speaks about divorce, multiple wives, slaves, etc. and that doesn't mean one should participate in those activities either.

But, the question still is, why did it say to buy strong drink? A similar question would be, why did it say to buy whatever your heart desires / covets / lusts after? Does that mean we should let our appetite rule? Does that mean we should covet and lust after the flesh pots of Egypt?

I think a fuller study would be in order.

(GC, think there's a possibility there is something similarly going on here related to who killed Saul?)

Re: Where is the harm in liquor or drinking..? [Re: kland] #125233
05/05/10 04:03 PM
05/05/10 04:03 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
However, I don't see it contradicting what Ellen White says.

How do you interpret this quote which Suzanne provided? It was this one specifically that I have difficulty reconciling.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
"The Bible nowhere teaches the use of intoxicating wine, either as a beverage or as a symbol of the blood of Christ." --Ellen White, Healthful Living, 113.

To me, both Proverbs 31 and Deuteronomy 14 are examples of the Bible teaching the use of alcohol, i.e. "intoxicating wine." True, the Bible does not say it is "good." But it does certainly permit its use. In Deuteronomy, the one quoted is God.

No, I don't think this has anything to do with Saul. It has more to do with David and his plural wives. Wine in the Bible is one of the seven "grey areas." The others are polygamy, meat eating, killing (as in war or capital punishment), jewelry, divorce, and accumulating wealth (being rich). None of these is expressly condemned as a sin in the Bible. Yet none of them is painted as "good" either. Several of them are actually commanded by God (capital punishment in certain cases, polygamy in certain cases, meat eating in certain cases, and in Deuteronomy, wine and strong drink in the tithe case).

Really, it only takes one example of a "grey-area sin" to prove that there are some things in the Bible which must be accepted against all logic. A clear case is that of eating meat. Today, Mrs. White's writings have nearly come out and stated that it is sinful to subsist on a flesh diet. Yet Jesus ate fish, and Jesus commanded the Israelites to eat the Passover lamb. Here again, Mrs. White is clear on the issue of wine, yet the Bible is much less clear on the same topic.

The best explanation I know of is the simple concept that "truth is progressive." But that still does not account for the logical discrepancy which exists between God winking at their ignorance and commanding that which would later be forbidden--especially in light of Malachi 3:6.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Where is the harm in liquor or drinking..? [Re: Green Cochoa] #125258
05/07/10 12:43 PM
05/07/10 12:43 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Could Ellen White say that the Bible nowhere teaches that it's acceptable to own slaves but yet,

Quote:
'And as for your male and female slaves whom you may have-from the nations that are around you, from them you may buy male and female slaves.
But either way, do you think we should own slaves, divorce, kill our enemies, etc., etc. and yet it appears in the Bible? You missed my point about Saul, but I was trying to make a comparison that maybe somewhere in the Bible is something which isn't what it appears. You say grey area. I say not. But as Tom has tried his best in the past, if you are going to participate in such sins, there is a way you can participate and still reduce the harm done. It would be best not to, but if you are so stubborn you are going to do it anyway, here is the best way. Perhaps at some point, you will turn back to God and follow His ideal will. Some did, most didn't.

As far as eating meat, Ellen White said there is soon coming a time to do away with all meat eating. Could that mean that in the distant past was not the time, and that "soon" surely must have come more than 100 years ago?

Re: Where is the harm in liquor or drinking..? [Re: kland] #127426
09/06/10 07:02 PM
09/06/10 07:02 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Alcohol Lowers Testosterone, Increase Estrogen

If you're a guy and you're STILL unsure whether to reduce or eliminate alcohol from your diet, here's yet another fact for you to ponder: alcohol lowers testosterone and increases estrogen, often bringing about gynecomastria (male breast enlargement) due to increased conversion of testosterone and other aromatizable androgens to estrogen.

Furthermore, it also can lead to testicular atrophy, low sperm count, and difficulty in performing sexually via erectile dysfunction, or ED. Ask any guy and he'll tell you that the LAST thing he wants is shrunken testicles or difficulty getting an erection.

What's even worse, if you work out with weights to feel and look stronger you should be aware that alcohol is preventing you from making as much progress as you should. It does this by destroying muscle gains in several ways, including lowering testosterone, dehydration, preventing vitamin absorption, and much more.
The good news in all this is that from the very second you stop drinking alcohol you begin to heal. Your body is truly a miracle of design, able to heal the damage that alcohol caused it, but, you have to stop now to have the best chance of getting back the healthy you.

Don't let alcohol destroy you for one more second. Stop drinking now, and get a fresh start at a new life. www.stopdrinkingalcohol.com/alcohol-lowers-testosteone.html

Suzanne

Re: Where is the harm in liquor or drinking..? [Re: Suzanne] #127438
09/07/10 07:19 AM
09/07/10 07:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Hmm... Very interesting indeed. Almost like as if God let's us see what we want to see...

Yes, almost like that.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Where is the harm in liquor or drinking..? [Re: Tom] #127439
09/07/10 07:25 AM
09/07/10 07:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GC
How do you interpret this quote which Suzanne provided? It was this one specifically that I have difficulty reconciling.

"The Bible nowhere teaches the use of intoxicating wine, either as a beverage or as a symbol of the blood of Christ." --Ellen White, Healthful Living, 113.

To me, both Proverbs 31 and Deuteronomy 14 are examples of the Bible teaching the use of alcohol, i.e. "intoxicating wine." True, the Bible does not say it is "good." But it does certainly permit its use. In Deuteronomy, the one quoted is God.

I think it's simply a matter of discerning what EGW was really wishing to say, and not try to have her say something she didn't intend to say. God has often permitted certain activities, and given rules about such things. But that doesn't mean it would be wrong for us to say, "Nowhere does the Bible teach the use of 'X'" provided we understand this to mean "Nowhere does the Bible teach us we should do 'X'" as opposed to "Nowhere does the Bible mention 'X'" or "Nowhere does the Bible give rules in regards to 'X'"

What she's really wanting to communicate, IMO, is that God, nowhere in Scripture, was presenting His will that X should be done.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!