HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,092 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 64 of 103 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127561
09/12/10 02:27 PM
09/12/10 02:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, I appreciate the humor. Thank you. But there's nothing imaginary about Tom being kind and patient. He's the real deal. On the other hand, his views about God being unable to know the future like history without destroying the nature and essence of time and space is unfortunate. God knowing so does not make the future fixed or single-threaded. If you disagree, please explain why. That is, why can't God know the future like history without making it fixed or single-threaded? Is it impossible?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127566
09/13/10 10:20 AM
09/13/10 10:20 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I doubt I could explain it better than Tom already has attempted to do. I and Tom view free will as the ability to choose one out of two or more choices. If the choice we will make is already known, then we only have the ability to choose one out of one choice. That we may still be in the illusion of having the 2 or more available choices does not change the fact that we indeed have only one.

If God knows that you will repent, you will repent even if you have the illusion that you may reject God.
And if God knows that you will reject Him, no amount of preaching will be able to save you. You might as well be elected for damnation. In both cases youll have the same real chance of reaching salvation.

God gave us free will, which means that both the option of you rejecting Him and you embracing Him must be viable possibilities until you have made the choice and it becomes history. God knowing one choice will be made makes the other choice impossible to happen. But all this has been said before, and we must accept that we will never become agreed on this, before God tells us how it really is in heaven.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127571
09/13/10 06:04 PM
09/13/10 06:04 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
When Tom and I talk about internal contradiction, this isn't contradiction of God or the Bible. It is the internal contradiction within ourselves. One has responded to me in the past that I was arguing with the Bible. I wasn't, but pointing out contradictions according to their view. I don't say God is above contradictions and logic because this has to do with me. Am I OK with what I see as contradictions or do I attempt to resolve them? My approach to this is to try and resolve such contradictions so that they cease to be contradictions. Others see contradictions, are told to just have faith and believe, that any contradictions are just the mystery of God, but they cannot and will not live with such contradictions raging inside themselves.
This is part of an Atheist view related from Adventist Frontiers magazine:
Quote:
I guess I just found from an early age that the carrot-and-whip approach of Christianity wasn't something I could follow.
What I don't undestand is this: God is omnipotent. He created all that is. Yet there is this elaborate opera in the battle between good and evil which is unneeded, unless to satisfy His own vanity. I suppose a believer would argue perhaps that God moves in mysterious ways His wonders to perform, and we cannot fathom God's will. To me, if it is all true, then it is a terrible game played with pawns to satisfy some unknown agenda. If He can do whatever He wants, why not just make everyone good and stick them all in heaven? That would seem a lot simpler. Otherwise, what He does is cruel, not loving. It is satisfying some whim or doing some kind of experiment. And if He has the power to do anything, then the experiment is unnecessary. He should know the outcome before it happens, which, according to the prophets and books such as Revelation, He already does. So why bother putting humanity through the heartache and pain? He knows what will happen.

He chose to dismiss God completely rather than accept such contradictions.
He continues later on that if God taps him on his shoulder, he will believe in God:
Quote:
I will definitely believe in Him, but it doesn't mean I have to like what He's selling. So just because this fellow comes down to convince me that He really does exist, it still doesn't mean that I would want to sit at His table.

I think his comments address several points which have attempted to be shown here.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127575
09/14/10 04:24 AM
09/14/10 04:24 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
I am simply saying God knows the future like history and His knowing so does not make it fixed or single-threaded.

It's not that God's knowing the future *makes* it be some way, but God knows that future as it is. If it is single-threaded, then that's how God knows it to be. You assert that God sees the future like history, like a TV re-run, which are single-threaded things, which only makes sense if the future really is single-threaded, as otherwise we'd have God "knowing" something which is false.

Quote:
Yes, things will play out accordingly. There is no chance it will unfold differently.

The definition of single-threaded! See, you *do* believe the future is single-threaded!

Quote:
But none of this matters so far as our ability and freedom to choose as we please.

Correct. This is the compatibilistic definition of "free will," and as I've stated half a dozen times now, or more (likely more), there's no contradiction between the compatibilistic definition of "free will" and a single-threaded future. However, this isn't the view that Advenstists have traditionally held, and many SDA's are uncomfortable with this definition.

Quote:
The idea that we're not truly free because we are not free to make choices that would result in different outcomes misses the point,

No! This *is* that point!

Quote:
which is God knowing the future like history has zero effect on the nature and essence of time and space.

Of course not. I've explained this many, many, many times. The essence of time and space is what it is, which is what God knows it to be. Knowing something to be what it is doesn't impact what it is. Why would it?

Now what we observe a thing to be *does* have an impact on its essence, but that's another subject.

Quote:
It has the same effect as if God did not exist or knew nothing at all. I realize you think this is impossible. You believe the future consists of all the possible ways things can play out. You also believe God has no idea which one of the many possibilities will play out.

The last sentence is wrong, which I pointed out in my last post. I've never said this, and I told you so, so please don't repeat this again.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #127578
09/14/10 08:06 AM
09/14/10 08:06 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
He is a charismatic figure and gifted speaker who was lucky enough to assume the government of the country when inflation was already under control and who captivated the poor population with the "Family Allowance", which is a controversial program,
I was right along with Vaster until you shed more light on the issue. That's horrible! I read
"on condition that their children attend school and are vaccinated."
I don't suppose that includes homeschooling and suspect the vaccination part might include "family planning".

There is an article about Bolsa Familia in a Swedish newspaper today. In comparing numbers between 1990 and 2010 (where the BF program began in 2003), it is noted that the percentage of children who receive education has risen from 78 % to 95 %. The number of people who have less than one dollar a day to live on has been reduced form 25 % to 5 %. According to the World Bank, the evidence suggests that this has lead to increased will to work, especially in the countryside. It is noted however that the program does little to solve the city problems of crime and drug abuse. It is also stated that incresed levels of education in the population will give future generations a better chance to the good life.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127582
09/15/10 01:11 AM
09/15/10 01:11 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
People may get the false impression that all this was achieved during Lula's government, when this is far from true. Notice that the comparison is not between 2003 and 2010, but between 1990 and 2010 - a two-decade interval.
Much had already been achieved during the preceding president's mandate. This program comes from the preceding government.

Quote:
Cash transfer programs had previously existed in the Cardoso administration- Bolsa Escola, Bolsa Alimentacao, Auxilio Gás. Most of these early programs faced internal organization challenges. Bolsa Escola was superior to other programs because it applied to all citizens and both supported and was associated with education. However, because it only targeted families with school age dependents, it didn’t alleviate poverty.

Bolsa familia replaced Bolsa Escola and the other previously existing programs in 2003, under Lula’s administration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolsa_Familia

Bolsa Escola= School Allowance
Bolsa Alimentacao= Food Supplies Allowance
Auxilio Gás= Propane gas (for cooking) allowance

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #127583
09/15/10 03:46 AM
09/15/10 03:46 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Still, I guess the point made was that the programs have had good results for the Brazilian population, the ones you mention as well as their replacement.

Galatians 2

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127673
09/21/10 08:14 PM
09/21/10 08:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
M: Thomas, I appreciate the humor. Thank you. But there's nothing imaginary about Tom being kind and patient. He's the real deal. On the other hand, his views about God being unable to know the future like history without destroying the nature and essence of time and space is unfortunate. God knowing so does not make the future fixed or single-threaded. If you disagree, please explain why. That is, why can't God know the future like history without making it fixed or single-threaded? Is it impossible?

V: I doubt I could explain it better than Tom already has attempted to do. I and Tom view free will as the ability to choose one out of two or more choices. If the choice we will make is already known, then we only have the ability to choose one out of one choice. That we may still be in the illusion of having the 2 or more available choices does not change the fact that we indeed have only one.

If God knows that you will repent, you will repent even if you have the illusion that you may reject God.
And if God knows that you will reject Him, no amount of preaching will be able to save you. You might as well be elected for damnation. In both cases youll have the same real chance of reaching salvation.

God gave us free will, which means that both the option of you rejecting Him and you embracing Him must be viable possibilities until you have made the choice and it becomes history. God knowing one choice will be made makes the other choice impossible to happen. But all this has been said before, and we must accept that we will never become agreed on this, before God tells us how it really is in heaven.

I asked, "Why can't God know the future like history without making it fixed or single-threaded? Is it impossible?" I hear you saying, yes, it is impossible.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127675
09/21/10 08:34 PM
09/21/10 08:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you think it is impossible for God to know the future like history without making it single-threaded? Do you think God is bound by our time-space continuum? That is, do you think it is impossible for God to "inhabit eternity" (Isa 57:15), to simultaneously occupy the past, present, and future without destroying the nature and essence of time and space?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127681
09/22/10 01:37 PM
09/22/10 01:37 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
MM, I'm interested in your response about the atheist regarding his reaction to thinking God knew the future from the beginning. Since you raised the question about if God's knowledge not making the future single-threaded indicates maybe you think he makes a valid point.

Page 64 of 103 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!