HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,994 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Mountain Man] #127530
09/11/10 01:17 AM
09/11/10 01:17 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Tom, isn't this another way of saying Jesus bought them probation? In what way do you think probation (or the provisions you cited) benefits the impenitent (people who refuse to embrace Jesus as their personal Savior)?

T: In the way she pointed out; it gives them physical life. Our physical life, and even the ability we have to refuse Christ, is the purchase of His blood. This is what she's saying.

In what way does it benefit them? Jesus and Peter had this to say:

Matthew
18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Mark
14:21 The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.

2 Peter
2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known [it], to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog [is] turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Also, do you believe Jesus justified everyone on the cross? Or, do you believe He merely made it available and possible?

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Mountain Man] #127535
09/11/10 03:19 AM
09/11/10 03:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Tom, isn't this another way of saying Jesus bought them probation? In what way do you think probation (or the provisions you cited) benefits the impenitent (people who refuse to embrace Jesus as their personal Savior)?

T: In the way she pointed out; it gives them physical life. Our physical life, and even the ability we have to refuse Christ, is the purchase of His blood. This is what she's saying.

M:In what way does it benefit them?

In the way she pointed out; it gives them physical life. Our physical life, and even the ability we have to refuse Christ, is the purchase of His blood. This is what she's saying.

Quote:
Also, do you believe Jesus justified everyone on the cross? Or, do you believe He merely made it available and possible?

It would depend upon what you meant by this. W. W. Prescott spoke in these terms (i.e., everyone being justified) in the 1895 GCB. Many people get confused by this language, however, so I prefer to stick with how EGW put things, which I think is clear. For example:

Quote:
By His wonderful work of giving His life, He(Christ) restored the whole race of men to favor with God.(1SM 343)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Tom] #127537
09/11/10 04:54 AM
09/11/10 04:54 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
T:What's the undiluted wrath of God?

C:Full, eternal separation from God, also known as the second death judgement on sin and sinners.

So Christ experienced full, eternal separation from God, or the second death judgment on sin an sinners. What does this mean? That is, what happened to Christ?

Christ "tasted death", so he experienced spiritual separation from God: withdrawal of the Holy Spirit, bringing deepest sorrow, and no personal hope of resurrection after impending death.

That's the spiritual, mental and personal equivalent of the second death of hell fire on judgement day. He drained the cup of judgement given him by his Father, in Gethsemane. He thus fulfilled the Messianic prophecy of Ps 22, which he quoted, too, of course.

God judges sin and the sinner, contrary to him as these are, at the appointed time, and grace gives sinners a Saviour and Substitute for this judgement, dying their death as them, having taken them into himself by taking their sinful, condemned nature as his own....obvious to relate to you. smile

Quote:
Quote:
The guilt we suffer after sinning and before confessing is a faint, merciful hint of that wrath of God.

What causes the guilt we suffer?

God's judgement on sin in our life experience: and mercy reducing the weight of guilt we suffer.

Quote:
Quote:
You may differ with the first line, there, on the wrath of God, I think.

I don't differ with what you said. I might differ with what you mean, but I'm not sure, as I'm not sure what you think God did to Christ, or what God will do to the wicked.
[/quote]
To sin God is a consuming fire, and what I mean is that God judges sin, as described. God does act against sin: his justice demands the death of the sinner, from Lucifer on down, and that's what God's will for the Suffering Servant was. Amen.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Rosangela] #127538
09/11/10 05:23 AM
09/11/10 05:23 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
The assumed, i.e. taken, sinful humanity of Christ was condemned, but the human character of Christ was righteous by faith, so his death was our condemnation suffered in his body and our justification rooted in his merits as the Lamb of God (Rom 4:25).
Quote:
Colin, Christ’s human nature can’t be separated from Himself - He was the God-man. So, if His human nature was condemned, He was condemned. But if He had to die because of His own condemnation, He couldn’t die because of our condemnation.

Thank you for clarifying your understanding. smile Yet, you missed the part about his merits & human character....

First "God sent his Son in the likeness of sinful flesh", but also in his character was no sin, he developing in human nature merits of the world's salvation. "Likeness" there also means he was God, too, not that he took sinful human nature without sin..., which is plainly illogical.

Also, since he is by nature divine, he is not by nature human. Thus able to remain above the eternal death due human nature.

Christ died humanity's condemnation as mankind - died as us, see 2 Cor 15:14. His character of righteousness preserved him above the lack of resurrection suffered by the wicked on that day. Rom 4:25 says that was raised up on the tree, cursed of God for us - "because of our offences"...check Strong's for the meanings available of that verse, and resurrected "because of our justification".

Christ suffered our condemnation because by faith and righteousness he was also our Saviour from our nature's condemnation and guilt.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Colin] #127539
09/11/10 06:50 AM
09/11/10 06:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
From what I'm reading of what you wrote, it appears you are saying the sinner would be OK if God didn't act against his sin. So it's not that sin is causes the sinner problems, but God does, by His judgment against sin. Is that correct?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Tom] #127540
09/11/10 03:07 PM
09/11/10 03:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

M:In what way does it benefit them? Jesus and Peter had this to say:

Matthew
18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Mark
14:21 The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.

2 Peter
2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known [it], to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog [is] turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

I couldn't help noticing you didn't respond to what Jesus and Peter said about it. Based on what they said, it sounds like probation (temporary sustenance) isn't a blessing for certain people.

Quote:
M: Also, do you believe Jesus justified everyone on the cross? Or, do you believe He merely made it available and possible?

T: It would depend upon what you meant by this. W. W. Prescott spoke in these terms (i.e., everyone being justified) in the 1895 GCB. Many people get confused by this language, however, so I prefer to stick with how EGW put things, which I think is clear. For example: "By His wonderful work of giving His life, He(Christ) restored the whole race of men to favor with God.(1SM 343)

By "restored the whole race of men to favor with God" do you think she is saying Jesus justified everyone on the cross? By "justified" I mean:

"To be justified means to be pardoned. To those whom God justifies He imputes Christ's righteousness, for the Saviour has taken away our sin. We stand before the throne of God justified and sanctified. We are emptied of self, and, through the sanctification of the truth, Christ abides in our hearts." {TDG 358.4}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Mountain Man] #127541
09/11/10 03:27 PM
09/11/10 03:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
I couldn't help noticing you didn't respond to what Jesus and Peter said about it. Based on what they said, it sounds like probation (temporary sustenance) isn't a blessing for certain people.

You cited texts dealing with another subject. For Scriptures dealing with the same subject, I suggest Romans 5:18, 2 Cor. 5:14,15,19;John 2:2;Isa. 44:22;1 John 4:14.

The question you've asked is how the sacrifice of Christ benefits those who choose not to be saved. The answer is that it gives them physical life. So unless you think having physical life is of no value, there you have it. Everything that every person has, whether they choose to be saved or not, they owe to Christ; it is the purchase of His blood. This is what DA 660 says, right?

Quote:
By "restored the whole race of men to favor with God" do you think she is saying Jesus justified everyone on the cross?

It would depend upon what you meant by this. W. W. Prescott spoke in these terms (i.e., everyone being justified) in the 1895 GCB. Many people get confused by this language, however, so I prefer to stick with how EGW put things.

Quote:
By "justified" I mean:

"To be justified means to be pardoned. To those whom God justifies He imputes Christ's righteousness, for the Saviour has taken away our sin. We stand before the throne of God justified and sanctified. We are emptied of self, and, through the sanctification of the truth, Christ abides in our hearts." {TDG 358.4}

This is a definition for "justification." Specifically, this is dealing with justification by faith. Prescoss dealt with four meanings of justification in his 1895 sermon. There's no reason to limit the meaning of this word to just one meaning, but if you choose to do so, then I'd again stick to other statements of the SOP, which I've cited, such as 1SM 343 and DA 660, which I think are clear as they stand (that is, there's no need to take her plain language and try to explain it with theological language).

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Tom] #127555
09/12/10 12:32 AM
09/12/10 12:32 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I do not believe Jesus "justified" (see specific definition above) everyone on the cross. Instead, I believe He earned the legal right on the cross to pardon the penitent. Also, I agree with what Jesus and Peter said about people who miss the mark. It would have been better if they hadn't been born. They experience no temporal or physical benefit being alive.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Mountain Man] #127565
09/13/10 03:19 AM
09/13/10 03:19 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Mike, of course Jesus didn't pardon everyone at Calvary. wink

He is, however, everyone's Saviour and their salvivic righteousness, and that's legally effective by grace: Amen!! Therefore, by grace and law, the world is justified by grace in the person of its Saviour. Thereafter & thereby anyone may believe in Jesus and experience pardon and regeneration of justification by faith.

Justification by faith is an experience, not purely forensic: forgetting the subjective element of justification is the biggest mistake any Christian can make in understanding the power of the gospel. Adventists are foremost in neglecting this truth - that justification by faith is indeed subjective, too, which we hold in our literature but are shy to proclaim in the face of Evangelical ignorance and confusion on the matter.

The Saviour must be given his rights of grace, as "Saviour of the world". smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Freedom in CHRIST [Re: Colin] #127570
09/13/10 05:23 PM
09/13/10 05:23 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Also, since he is by nature divine, he is not by nature human. Thus able to remain above the eternal death due human nature.

Look, this doesn't work. He is by nature divine and He is by nature human - He has both natures.

Quote:
Christ died humanity's condemnation as mankind

Our human nature is condemned because it is depraved. So your contention is that Christ's human nature was depraved?

Reply Quote
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!