HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 79 of 103 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128170
10/15/10 05:26 AM
10/15/10 05:26 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: If the future is already settled, we can't change it. If God knows the future is settled, then it is settled. His knowing it is settled has a bearing on things in that what God knows corresponds to reality. Do you understand this point? If so, please repeat it in your own words. . . The point to me seems to be simple, which is that what God knows is what reality is.

M:The reason God knows "the end from the beginning" (please insert my definition) is because the end of human history has come and gone. Time has already played out sequentially just as it always does. God knowing so doesn't make the future settled, nor does it mean we can't make choices that impact the future. Why would you think so? That is, why do you think God knowing the future like history makes it fixed, settled, or so that we can't make choices that impact the future? Do you also think it means we cannot make choices that result in an outcome different than the one that in reality has already happened? The reality is, to answer your question, time has already played out.

MM, this didn't even come close to doing what I asked. I asked you if you understood my point, and if you did so, to please repeat it in your own words. Please do what I asked.

Regarding your questions and points:

1.If the end of human history has "come and gone," then obviously the future is settled. This is so obvious I don't see why it should need to be explained. Just consider what the words "come and gone" and "settled" mean.

2.It's not that God knows that the time has already played out that makes it the case that the future is settled, but that time has already played out. It's not the knowledge of the fact that is the issue, but the fact itself. The fact (according to you) is that time has already played out. That fact means the future is settled.

3.You wrote:

Quote:
That is, why do you think God knowing the future like history makes it fixed, settled, or so that we can't make choices that impact the future?

I have to agree with kland's point that this is a bit annoying. I must have stated the reverse of this over a hundred times to you, at least over a dozen in the past week.

To repeat once more, it's not that God knows the future to be like history that causes it to be settled (as if it weren't already) but that if that's what God knows the future to be (i.e., like history), then that's what the future is (like history).

Quote:
Do you also think it means we cannot make choices that result in an outcome different than the one that in reality has already happened?

4.Just think of what you're asking. This is like asking if our decisions can cause the past to be different than what it was. Do you think that's possible? That is, can we make decisions that result in an outcome different than one that in reality has already happened?

5.If the reality is that time has already played out, then the past, present and future are settled. That's what "played out" means. "Played out" = "settled."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128171
10/15/10 05:35 AM
10/15/10 05:35 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
T:I said *if* it is the case that the past, present, and future really exist simultaneously, then what you say would logically follow (i.e., that God experiences the past, present, and future simultaneously, and sees the future like history). Is it your view that the past, present and future really exist simultaneously?

M:Yes.

I disagree. I believe time is sequential. First comes the past, then the present, then the future. These are not simultaneous, but sequential.

Quote:
T:There is also the question of why God would create a being He was certain would sin. If God set into motion a course of action He was certain would result in sin, how can we maintain that God is not responsible for it?

M:God didn't create sinners.

This wasn't what was asked, although it's not a bad question.

Quote:
The fact He knew exactly who would sin and die in the lake of fire does not mean He created sinners.

Again, not what was asked.

Quote:
Nor does it mean He is responsible for the fact they sinned and will die.

This is a little closer, but still not what was asked.

Quote:
According to you, God knew exactly who might sin and die and He chose to create them anyhow.

This is just saying that God created beings will free will. Anyone might choose to sin, and death is the result of that choice. I'm maintaining that this was not inevitable. Your position is that sin was inevitable. You've said exactly this.

What I'm asking, and you're not addressing, is that if God acted in such a way that He was certain that sin would be the result of His actions, how is He not responsible? God could have acted in some other way, which He would be certain would not have resulted in sin instead. That would have been better, unless there's something about sin which is better than righteousness.

Quote:
Why didn't He just choose not to create them and only create the ones He knew wouldn't sin?

It's not possible to create beings with free will that are certain not to sin. Why would you think this would be possible? (given my perspective; from your perspective, of course, that would be possible, and, indeed, one wonders why God wouldn't have done the very thing you are asking). "Free will" means the ability to reject love. If God could create beings He would certain could not sin, He would be creating robots, not beings with free will.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128187
10/15/10 06:38 PM
10/15/10 06:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: Do you think anybody here believes that God's knowing the future to be a certain way changes it?

M: It seems that way.

T: God's knowing the future to be like history would "make" it be single-threaded in the sense that the only way God could know it to be like history is if it were like history. Now since history is single-threaded, that would make the future single-threaded as well.

M: But God can, and does, know the future like history without making it single-threaded or multi-threaded. That's the point.

T: No! That's not the point, and never has been the point, and has nothing to do with any relevant point. One can only wonder why you keep repeating this. If God knows the future to be like history, then the future *is* like history. *That's* the point!

M: ". . . without making it single-threaded or multi-threaded" as opposed to what you wrote "that would make the future single-threaded."

T: I actually wrote "that would 'make' the future single-threaded." The "make" is in quotes. Please reconsider what I wrote taking that into consideration. (i.e., please consider the significance of "make" being in quotes). Also you ignored, or passed over, the point: If God knows the future to be like history, then the future *is* like history. *That's* the point! Do you understand what's being said here? If so, please repeat it in your own words. I want to be clear that the point is being understood, as I've been trying to communicate this point for quite some time. Thank you.

Actually, I quoted the second time you used the word “make”, which, as you can see above, is not in quotations. Nevertheless, since you’re now saying it is significant I’ll address it as such. I take it you believe history is single-threaded, therefore, the future must necessarily be single-threaded if God knows the future like history. However, your view assumes God is limited to experiencing time in the same sequential way we do. I, on the other hand, believe God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously, which means all of the above is open and multi-threaded, the beginning and the end and everything in between are happening simultaneously. This, in part, explains why and how Jesus is “the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.” It also answers why and how God knows the future like history.

Quote:
M: Time unfolds (things happen sequentially) as if God knows nothing about the future. You appear to agree with this.

T: I don't even think this makes sense. Why would God's knowing nothing about the future impact whether or not things happen sequentially?

M: It wouldn't. And neither does His knowing the future like history. You seem to agree with this.

T: If God knew the future to be like history, that would mean the future would be like history, which is to say, single-threaded.

See comment above.

Quote:
M: You believe it means He knows all the different ways the future can play out but doesn't know precisely which one will play out.

T: No, this is wrong. I believe it means that He knows the end from the beginning. That is, say you choose a certain path. You are in the beginning of that path. God knows the end of that path. The idea has to do with blessings and cursings, where God urges taking the right path, because He knows the consequences of each path.

M: How can God know the end of a particular path if He doesn't know the precise choices they will make thereafter? For example, if they make an unexpected choice it would place them on an entirely different path.

T: That's the whole point! God wants them to choose a different path if they've chosen a poor one. So He warns them. Here's Jer. 18:7 At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it. 11Now, therefore, say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: Thus says the Lord: Look, I am a potter shaping evil against you and devising a plan against you. Turn now, all of you from your evil way, and amend your ways and your doings.”

God declares the future not to demonstrate that it is settled, but for the reverse purpose! The Israelites were thinking that prophecy is unconditional, settled. They argued, "What does it matter what we do, since it's been prophecied," thinking that this meant things were settled, that the future was single-threaded, and God was telling them what would happen in the way He would if the future were settled, or single-threaded. But God explained to them that His prophecies are conditional, and He was telling them what would happen to warn them, so they would repent.

So, do you believe God knows all the different ways the future can play out but doesn't know precisely which one will play out?

Quote:
M: Since God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously "all of the above" is true. In other words, He experiences time sequentially just like we do.

T: You said He's standing at the end of time, so clearly He doesn't experience time sequentially as we do, since we haven't experienced that yet. Just how do you think He got to the end?

M: It's just that He does it simultaneously with everyone who has ever lived, who is alive presently, and who has yet to live.

T: But MM, it should be obvious that if what you are asserting were true, that would mean that could NOT be anything sequential for God! Think it through. If God were experiencing every moment in time as if it were the present, there could be nothing sequential for God. He would be experiencing it all at once! This is what "simultaneously" means.

Again, your view limits God, whereas my view acknowledges God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously, which means He experiences time sequentially like we do while simultaneously experiencing the past and the future.

Quote:
M: None of this means the future is settled. None of this means we cannot make choices that impact the future.

T: If God knows the future to be settled, then that means it must be settled. Why? Because God can't be incorrect in what He knows. Isn't this clear? If the future is settled, then our choices, by definition, cannot impact it.

Unless, of course, God surpasses your ability to comprehend Him. You seem to be saying it is impossible for God to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously without it meaning the future is single-threaded and without it meaning it is impossible for us to make choices that impact the future (i.e. result in a different outcome).

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128190
10/15/10 07:23 PM
10/15/10 07:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What I'm asking, and you're not addressing, is that if God acted in such a way that He was certain that sin would be the result of His actions, how is He not responsible? God could have acted in some other way, which He would be certain would not have resulted in sin instead. That would have been better, unless there's something about sin which is better than righteousness.

Ellen addresses this point in the following passages:

Quote:
The plan for our redemption was not an afterthought, a plan formulated after the fall of Adam. It was a revelation of "the mystery which hath been kept in silence through times eternal." Romans 16:25, R. V. It was an unfolding of the principles that from eternal ages have been the foundation of God's throne. From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. So great was His love for the world, that He covenanted to give His only-begotten Son, "that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16. {DA 22.2}

The purpose and plan of grace existed from all eternity. Before the foundation of the world it was according to the determinate counsel of God that man should be created, endowed with power to do the divine will. But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter him from carrying out his eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish his throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning; "known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world." Therefore redemption was not an afterthought--a plan formulated after the fall of Adam--but an eternal purpose to be wrought out for the blessing not only of this atom of a world but for the good of all the worlds which God has created. {ST, April 25, 1892 par. 1}

Although it is true God created beings He knew would sin and die, He did not create them to sin and die. He is not responsible for the fact they chose to sin. He created them perfectly holy and sinless. Yes, He could have chosen not to create them without interfering with free will. “Yet it did not deter him from carrying out his eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish his throne in righteousness.” He also could have chosen only to create those whom He knew would not sin without violating free will or turning them into robots.

By the way, do you think God had no idea Lucifer and Adam would sin?

It's not that God knows that the time has already played out that makes it the case that the future is settled, but that time has already played out. It's not the knowledge of the fact that is the issue, but the fact itself. The fact (according to you) is that time has already played out. That fact means the future is settled.

Unless, of course, God surpasses your ability to comprehend Him. The only reason why we know the past, present, and future exist simultaneously is because God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously. This fact, as you have vehemently affirmed, in no way means the future is fixed or settled. Time plays out just as it always does. The fact time, as it relates to human history, is in reality finished makes no difference so far as how we experience time right now, which is also reality. It is not an illusion or perceived reality.

We are limited in our ability to experience time, that is, we can only experience time in the present tense. The choices we make now impact the future (which essentially begins the instant we make the choice). We cannot go back in time and make a different choice, although technically we can change our mind the instant we make a choice and thereby thwart what might have happened, or we can repent and receive forgiveness and radically change the outcome.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128192
10/15/10 07:47 PM
10/15/10 07:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
R:Jesus said God knows the day and the hour of Christ's coming. Is this true or not?

T: Yes, this is true. God knows the day and the hour of Christ's coming in the same way He knows any conditional event, in a multi-threaded way.

R: If God can't know the exact date, He doesn't know the date.

M: Are you suggesting God knows thousands of possible "day and hour" dates, but He doesn't know precisely which one it will be? If so, how much time is there between the earliest and latest possible dates - 200 years? If so, that limits the possible "day and hour" dates to 73,000 (200 X 365).

T: I don't believe the time for Christ's coming is fixed. I think there are certain things that have to happen to prepare it, such as a revival along the lines of what God tried to start in 1888. I don't know what all plans God has, or what all possibilities God foresees, as He has not made me privy to such things.

Are you suggesting God knows thousands of possible "day and hour" dates, but He doesn't know precisely which one it will be? "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." Regarding the exact "day and hour" Ellen wrote:

Quote:
The exact time of the second coming of the Son of man is God's mystery. {DA 632.4}

But there is a day that God hath appointed for the close of this world's history. {FE 335.2}

Every week counts one week less, every day one day nearer to the appointed time of the judgment. {Mar 55.5}

Instead of exhausting the powers of our mind in speculations in regard to the times and seasons [regarding the day and hour of Jesus' return] which the Lord has placed in his own power, and withheld from men, we are to yield ourselves to the control of the Holy Spirit, to do present duties, to give the bread of life, unadulterated with human opinions, to souls who are perishing for the truth. {RH, March 22, 1892 par. 3}

We must cherish and cultivate the faith of which prophets and apostles have testified--the faith that lays hold on the promises of God and waits for deliverance in His appointed time and way. The sure word of prophecy will meet its final fulfillment in the glorious advent of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, as King of kings and Lord of lords. {Mar 66.3}

No material can be used in the erection of buildings that will preserve them from destruction when God's appointed time comes to send retribution on men for their disregard of His law and for their selfish ambition. {CCh 38.2}

All must wait for the appointed time, until the warning shall have gone to all parts of the world, until sufficient light and evidence have been given to every soul. {LDE 217.1}

Antichrist, meaning all who exalt themselves against the will and work of God, will at the appointed time feel the wrath of Him who gave Himself that they might not perish but have eternal life. {3SM 402.1}

The times and seasons God has put in His own power. And why has not God given us this knowledge?-- Because we would not make a right use of it if He did. {Ev 221.1}

The Lord has wisely concealed this from us that we may always be in a state of expectancy and preparation for the second appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ in the clouds of heaven. {LDE 33.3}

The voice of God is heard from heaven, declaring the day and hour of Jesus' coming, and delivering the everlasting covenant to His people. ... And when the blessing is pronounced on those who have honored God by keeping His Sabbath holy, there is a mighty shout of victory. {FLB 182.7}

I hear you saying these kinds of passages, of which there are many, must be interpreted to mean God does not know the precise day and hour Jesus will return.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128198
10/16/10 01:20 AM
10/16/10 01:20 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I take it you believe history is single-threaded, therefore, the future must necessarily be single-threaded if God knows the future like history.

Yes.

Quote:
However, your view assumes God is limited to experiencing time in the same sequential way we do.

This makes know difference to the point that if history is single-threaded, and the future is like history, then it is also single-threaded.

Quote:
I, on the other hand, believe God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously, which means all of the above is open and multi-threaded, the beginning and the end and everything in between are happening simultaneously.

This is wrong. Everything would be single-threaded, the beginning and the end and everything in between which is happening simultaneously. This is obvious, MM. You're basically saying everything is like the present to God. Is the present single-threaded or multi-threaded? It's single-threaded, because only one thing can be happening.

Quote:
This, in part, explains why and how Jesus is “the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.” It also answers why and how God knows the future like history.

It can explain these things, but does so in a way that the past, present, and future are single-threaded. Another way to see that this is so is to ask the question, when God looks into the past, what does He see? He sees what happened, right? The ONE thing that happened. That's single-threaded. Similarly, under your view, when God looks to the future (which you say is Him looking backwards, because to God the future has already happened), what does He see? He likewise would see the ONE thing that "happened." That's single-threaded.

Quote:
T: That's the whole point! God wants them to choose a different path if they've chosen a poor one. So He warns them. Here's Jer. 18:7 At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it. 11Now, therefore, say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: Thus says the Lord: Look, I am a potter shaping evil against you and devising a plan against you. Turn now, all of you from your evil way, and amend your ways and your doings.”

God declares the future not to demonstrate that it is settled, but for the reverse purpose! The Israelites were thinking that prophecy is unconditional, settled. They argued, "What does it matter what we do, since it's been prophecied," thinking that this meant things were settled, that the future was single-threaded, and God was telling them what would happen in the way He would if the future were settled, or single-threaded. But God explained to them that His prophecies are conditional, and He was telling them what would happen to warn them, so they would repent.

M:So, do you believe God knows all the different ways the future can play out but doesn't know precisely which one will play out?

It depends upon the circumstances. The future is comprised of some things which are settled, and some which aren't. Of the things which aren't, God sees all the possibilities. God could only know which of these would occur if one of these possibilities was a certainty and all of the other "possibilities" were in reality "impossibilities."

Quote:
T: But MM, it should be obvious that if what you are asserting were true, that would mean that could NOT be anything sequential for God! Think it through. If God were experiencing every moment in time as if it were the present, there could be nothing sequential for God. He would be experiencing it all at once! This is what "simultaneously" means.

M:Again, your view limits God, whereas my view acknowledges God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously, which means He experiences time sequentially like we do while simultaneously experiencing the past and the future.

I was speaking in terms of your view. I pointed out that if God were experiencing every moment in time as if it were the present, then there would be nothing sequential for God. I asked you to think this through. This should be very easy to see if you think it through. Every moment is the present = Nothing is sequential.

To state it another way, things can only happen sequentially if one experiences something things before other things, which cannot be the case if one experiences all things simultaneously.

Quote:
T: If God knows the future to be settled, then that means it must be settled. Why? Because God can't be incorrect in what He knows. Isn't this clear? If the future is settled, then our choices, by definition, cannot impact it.

M:Unless, of course, God surpasses your ability to comprehend Him.

No, this is simple logic. It's not dependent upon ability to comprehend God in the slightest. The logic is simple:

1.God knows things as they are.
2.Therefore if God knows the future to be fixed, then it is fixed.

This is in no way dependent upon my or any one else's ability to comprehend God.

Quote:
You seem to be saying it is impossible for God to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously without it meaning the future is single-threaded and without it meaning it is impossible for us to make choices that impact the future (i.e. result in a different outcome).

What I'm saying right now, in the piece that you are responding to, are the two points I just stated above.

Regarding your points here, you are claiming I am saying:

1.If God exists in the past, present and future simultaneously, then the future must be single-threaded.

2.If God exists in the past, present and future simultaneously, then we do not have the ability to make choices that impact the future.

Regarding the first statement, God cannot exist in the future if the future is multi-threaded, unless you believe this means that God's existence in the future is multi-threaded as well, sort of like existing in parallel universes. Is this your thought?

Regarding 2., if you think that God exists in the future in a multi-threaded sense, like in parallel universes, then it would be possible for our decisions to impact the future. If you believe that God exists in a single future, then that would imply that future is single-threaded, of course, and if the future is single-threaded then clearly we can't do anything to make it multi-threaded.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128199
10/16/10 01:47 AM
10/16/10 01:47 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

Ellen addresses this point in the following passages:

No, she didn't. That is, she didn't address the point I was making. In other passages she speaks in hypothetical voice. These would have to be considered as well. That is, she speaks of God's plans in case Adam sinned. She never presents sin as being inevitable. That's your idea.

Quote:
Although it is true God created beings He knew would sin and die, He did not create them to sin and die. He is not responsible for the fact they chose to sin. He created them perfectly holy and sinless. Yes, He could have chosen not to create them without interfering with free will.

This last sentence is a bit confusing. You're saying that God could have chosen not to create the being who would sin, and that doing so would not have interfered with their free will? If this is what you're saying, I agree with this. And, indeed, this is what God would have done, unless sin has some advantage over righteousness.

Quote:
“Yet it did not deter him from carrying out his eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish his throne in righteousness.”

So you're saying that God needed sin in order to establish His throne in righteousness? If this isn't what you're saying, why wouldn't God simply establish His throne in righteousness without sin existing? What's the advantage of sin?

Quote:
He also could have chosen only to create those whom He knew would not sin without violating free will or turning them into robots.

By the way, do you think God had no idea Lucifer and Adam would sin?

Why do you think I think this? I've been very clear in what I believe, and have stated such many, many times. It's very perplexing how you could ask something like this.

What I've said is that God knew of the possibility that Lucifer and Adam would sin, and the same is true of all the other beings that He created. All the beings He created had the possibility of sinning. This is all I've said. I've never said God had no idea that Lucifer or Adam would sin. I don't see how you could get from what I actually said to your question. What were you thinking?

Quote:
T:It's not that God knows that the time has already played out that makes it the case that the future is settled, but that time has already played out. It's not the knowledge of the fact that is the issue, but the fact itself. The fact (according to you) is that time has already played out. That fact means the future is settled.

M:Unless, of course, God surpasses your ability to comprehend Him.

No, MM, this is the same error. There is an *ontological* issue (i.e., an issue having to do with how things are, with reality). My *comprehension* of things (e.g., my comprehension of God) is an *epistemological* issue. I'm saying the epistemological issue doesn't matter; it's not the relevant thing. It's the ontological issue which matters.

To say the same thing more simply, it's "just the facts." What are the facts? Whatever God knows is a fact. This is not true of me, so my comprehension of God may be wrong, but regardless of whether or not it is, it would still be the case that what God knows to be facts are indeed facts.

Quote:
The only reason why we know the past, present, and future exist simultaneously is because God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously. This fact, as you have vehemently affirmed, in no way means the future is fixed or settled.

No, I've not affirmed this at all, vehemently or otherwise. Where did you get this idea from? In another post you said:

Quote:
You seem to be saying it is impossible for God to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously without it meaning the future is single-threaded and without it meaning it is impossible for us to make choices that impact the future (i.e. result in a different outcome).

so when you wrote this post you understood I was saying the reverse of what you're now saying I am vehemently affirming. What happened?

Quote:
Time plays out just as it always does. The fact time, as it relates to human history, is in reality finished makes no difference so far as how we experience time right now, which is also reality.

You're contradicting yourself. You assert: Time is in reality finished.

If time is in reality finished, then our perception that it is not in reality finished is wrong, an illusion, a perceived reality which is false.

Quote:
It is not an illusion or perceived reality.

If this is true, then your statement that time is in reality finished is false. That is, if our perception that time is in reality not finished is not an illusion or perceived reality, then it must be the case that time is in reality not finished. So we have:

1.Time is in reality finished.
2.Time is in reality not finished.

These are mutually exclusive.

Quote:
We are limited in our ability to experience time, that is, we can only experience time in the present tense. The choices we make now impact the future (which essentially begins the instant we make the choice). We cannot go back in time and make a different choice, although technically we can change our mind the instant we make a choice and thereby thwart what might have happened, or we can repent and receive forgiveness and radically change the outcome.

If time is in reality finished, nothing we can do can alter anything related to that. That should be clear to see.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128200
10/16/10 02:56 AM
10/16/10 02:56 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #128192, I've already responded to these questions several times. Let me ask, is it possible to hasten the coming of Christ? If so, then there is no set date.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128212
10/16/10 02:53 PM
10/16/10 02:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Regarding #128192, I've already responded to these questions several times. Let me ask, is it possible to hasten the coming of Christ? If so, then there is no set date.

Then you must also conclude Ellen is a false prophet. Why? Because she unequivocally says the exact "day and hour" is set, has been appointed, and that God hasn't revealed it to us yet but that He will during the outpouring of the seven last plagues.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128216
10/16/10 04:22 PM
10/16/10 04:22 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:Regarding #128192, I've already responded to these questions several times. Let me ask, is it possible to hasten the coming of Christ? If so, then there is no set date.

M:Then you must also conclude Ellen is a false prophet. Why? Because she unequivocally says the exact "day and hour" is set, has been appointed, and that God hasn't revealed it to us yet but that He will during the outpouring of the seven last plagues.

No, you must believe she is a false prophet. Why? Because she unequivocally says that the coming of Christ can be hastened, and that Christ could have come "'ere now."

Actually, this is a silly response, which I hope you can see by my also using it. There's a simple alternative to you believing Ellen White is a false prophet, which is that you have a different way of interpreting what she wrote than I do, right? Just because you perceive something differently than I do doesn't make you a heretic.

Page 79 of 103 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!