HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 83 of 103 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128356
10/25/10 05:01 PM
10/25/10 05:01 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
God knows the exact day and hour Jesus will return. The reason He knows is because He exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously.

This idea isn't Scriptural. There are hundreds of texts, if not thousands, where God communicates to us in language that indicates that He experiences things sequentially, not simultaneously. For example, here's one I've quoted a number of times:

Quote:
At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it.(Jer. 18)

This simply makes no sense in the scenario you are suggesting, where things have already played out. God couldn't change His mind in this case.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128357
10/25/10 05:03 PM
10/25/10 05:03 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Kland, your observations seem to assume God existing in the past, present, and future simultaneously somehow robs us of our ability and freedom to choose as we please.

MM, this makes no sense. Could you explain your thinking please?

Once again, if God exists simultaneously in the past, present, and future, then the past, present and future exist simultaneously, and time is not sequential, and of course that would impact us. How could it not?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128362
10/25/10 09:54 PM
10/25/10 09:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, your limited view of God prevents you from understanding my view. You don't seem to comprehend that God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously without it effecting how we experience time.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128363
10/25/10 09:58 PM
10/25/10 09:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Again, I am convinced God's experience in time and space has no effect on our experience in time and space.

It would have an effect if we thought about it. If we're willingly ignorant about logic, then it might not.

Quote:
We have the ability and freedom to make any choice we please. Nothing hinders us.

Nothing hinders from doing what you please, but you couldn't choose anything different than that. That is, there's only one choice possible, which is the one that has "already played out."

I'm glad you agree we are free to choose as we please. So, what's the problem? So what if God knows the future like history?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128366
10/25/10 10:38 PM
10/25/10 10:38 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.If God knows the future like history, then
2.The future is like history, meaning its single-threaded, and
3.Nothing we can do will impact the future.

The last item means we do not have free will in the libertarian sense. Your question was asked from the compatibilistic standpoint, which assumes a less strict definition of "free will." For those who accept this less strict definition, there isn't a problem, regarding the question of "free will."

However, other questions would remain, such as the problem of evil. E.g., Why would God create a being (Lucifer) He was certain would sin when He could just as well have created a being (someone else) He was certain would not sin? Same questions for Adam and Eve.

Simply quoting a statement from EGW that says that God would establish His throne in righteousness doesn't even begin to address the question being asked here.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128367
10/25/10 10:42 PM
10/25/10 10:42 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, your limited view of God prevents you from understanding my view.

Actually, as I've explained on quite a few occasions, one's view of God isn't what matters. It's one view of the future that is relevant here. Is the future settled or not?

Your view of God only matters in that it leads to the conclusion that the future is settled. E.g., you state that the future has "already played out." Given that the future has already played out, we may conclude that it's single-threaded, and consider the implications of that.

Quote:
You don't seem to comprehend that God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously without it effecting how we experience time.

This is a false statement. I comprehend that.

As I've explained, if God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously -- if the future has "already played out," (as you put it), that means the future is settled, which impacts how we experience time, if we care about logic.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128375
10/26/10 02:46 PM
10/26/10 02:46 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Kland, your observations seem to assume God existing in the past, present, and future simultaneously somehow robs us of our ability and freedom to choose as we please.
Here is what I here you saying, correct me if I'm wrong because I am basing my comments on this understanding:
  • God knows the future like history, like it's already played out.
  • We know the future as sequential, as with the ability to make choices in how it's played out.
Now, would it be worth considering that only one of those is what the future really is like?
That is, either:
the future really is like history and has already played out and we are under the illusion that we can make choices,
or
the future really is sequential and we can make choices affecting it while God is under the illusion that it has already played out.

There is only one truth as to which way it is.

Then again, I'm not really sure what you believe because although you say God knows the future like history, you at the same time state that "God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously" which I cannot see how that could mean that God knows the future like history if it all exists at the same time.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #128379
10/26/10 03:22 PM
10/26/10 03:22 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It's not simply that God knows the future like history, like it's already played out, but MM says that it HAS played out.

...I also believe eternity has already played out and God alone knows "the end from the beginning".(emphasis mine)

This is the real crux of the problem. It's not simply that God knows the future as if it's played out, but *it's already played out*. That makes it completely settled.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128386
10/26/10 04:42 PM
10/26/10 04:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1.If God knows the future like history, then
2.The future is like history, meaning its single-threaded, and
3.Nothing we can do will impact the future.

The last item means we do not have free will in the libertarian sense. Your question was asked from the compatibilistic standpoint, which assumes a less strict definition of "free will." For those who accept this less strict definition, there isn't a problem, regarding the question of "free will."

However, other questions would remain, such as the problem of evil. E.g., Why would God create a being (Lucifer) He was certain would sin when He could just as well have created a being (someone else) He was certain would not sin? Same questions for Adam and Eve. Simply quoting a statement from EGW that says that God would establish His throne in righteousness doesn't even begin to address the question being asked here.

Why do you say it means we cannot impact the future? Do you mean we cannot make choices resulting in an outcome different than the one God watched play out? Do you think God's experience in time effects (alters, changes) our experience in time?

Also, do you think God existing in the past, present, and future simultaneously means He is cruel because He created certain FMAs even though He watched them sin and die in the lake of fire? If so, what makes you think not creating them was an option?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128387
10/26/10 04:52 PM
10/26/10 04:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, your limited view of God prevents you from understanding my view.

T: Actually, as I've explained on quite a few occasions, one's view of God isn't what matters. It's one view of the future that is relevant here. Is the future settled or not? Your view of God only matters in that it leads to the conclusion that the future is settled. E.g., you state that the future has "already played out." Given that the future has already played out, we may conclude that it's single-threaded, and consider the implications of that.

Again, are you suggesting God's experience in time effects (alters, changes) our experience in time? If so, why do you think so? Or, do you agree with me that it makes no difference whatsoever, that is, time unfolds as if God is limited to time and space in exactly the same way we are.

Quote:
M: You don't seem to comprehend that God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously without it effecting how we experience time.

T: This is a false statement. I comprehend that. As I've explained, if God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously -- if the future has "already played out," (as you put it), that means the future is settled, which impacts how we experience time, if we care about logic.

What if you are wrong? What if time unfolds for us as if God does not exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously? Why do you think God's experience in time effects, alters, changes our experience in time? Why do you think it's impossible for God to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously without it effecting, altering, changing how we experience time?

Page 83 of 103 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!