HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12835
03/26/05 10:19 PM
03/26/05 10:19 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
For the record, I also believe that the IJ is now for those who understand the gospel and the great salvation from sin that God freely offers every son and daughter of Adam. We need to confess our sinfulness and our need of the remedy that God offers. I am close to John's view in that regard although we may not see some things eye to eye, and I'm glad he's brought this view forward.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12836
03/27/05 01:05 AM
03/27/05 01:05 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Mark, at least you have gone on public record as disagreeing with the SDA view of the IJ. I would expect that from an official of MSDAOL. The idea that the IJ did not begin with the dead in 1844 is anti-Adventism. The idea that the IJ of the living has begun already is also a non-Adventist view. Such contradictions, if adopted by the SDA Church, would totally undermine Adventism.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12837
03/27/05 05:35 AM
03/27/05 05:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It seems to me the investigative judgment, and all judgment, is primarily about God. It is His character that was called into question. The whole purpose of Christ's mission was to reveal the Father, and in so doing set and keep men right with God. This must fit into the question somehow, mustn't it?

The books of heaven represent the characters of those who are being judged. Angels have in interest in seeing who their future neighbors throughout eternity will be. They have an opportunity to see how sound God's judgment is by the way He judges the case of the dead and the living.

Given that the books in heaven simply reflect the reality of our characters here on earth, if we have faith in Christ then we will pass the judgment:

quote:
The law requires righteousness,--a righteous life, a perfect character; and this man has not to give. He cannot meet the claims of God's holy law. But Christ, coming to the earth as man, lived a holy life, and developed a perfect character. These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive them. His life stands for the life of men. Thus they have remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God. More than this, Christ imbues men with the attributes of God. He builds up the human character after the similitude of the divine character, a goodly fabric of spiritual strength and beauty. Thus the very righteousness of the law is fulfilled in the believer in Christ. God can "be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." Rom. 3:26. (DA 762)
There should be something for everybody to like in this quote!

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12838
03/27/05 11:42 AM
03/27/05 11:42 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Regarding the IJ beginning in 1844 with the dead, that is sound, although we have more to learn about it IMO. Regarding the judgment of the living being a present reality, this is genuine Adventism. It's based on the prinicple that everyone is accountable for the light he has today. Those who are aware of the open door to the Most Holy Place are invited today to set their faith on Christ within the veil as their Advocate and judge. The world is not arrayed yet IMO because for the most part it has not been presented with the testing truths of the three angels' messages.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12839
03/27/05 01:13 PM
03/27/05 01:13 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mike

Are you saying that adventism stands and falls with Investigative Judgement?

/Thomas

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12840
03/27/05 01:45 PM
03/27/05 01:45 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Mike: John, regarding your position concerning perfection, sinlessness and victory over our defective traits of character, please understand that I agree with you wholeheartedly.

John: It appears you agree with the end result.

Mike: How do we make the transition from sinful and morally imperfect to sinless and morally perfect? By cooperating with the Spirit of God during the process of conversion, by confessing, in light of the cross, our defective traits of character as the Holy Spirit reveals them to us. If we keep pace with God, as He shows us our sinfulness in light of the cross, if we confess each defective trait of character as they are revealed, if we do not cling to a cherished, pet, darling sin when it is exposed, if we confess the last character defect when it is revealed - then, and only then, can we experience the miracle of rebirth. Then, and only then, will God implant in us the sinless seed, or mind, of the new man

John: It appears you disagree with the way of getting there. Not that I have problems with what you said here, but taken in context of the fact that you have declared it to be contradictory to what I have stated, I must accept it to mean something else than what I have said. I have a difficult time figuring your statement here and the rest of your comments (without re-quoting) in such contradiction.

My observations as follows: You have not once used the words: faith, trust, judgment, believe. I do not know if that has any meaning, but if it does, I have grave concerns as to the meaning of your words: connected, imitate, conversion, co-operate, light of the cross, fellowship.

Please explain the contradiction between your way of victory over sin and what I have expressed.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12841
03/27/05 02:02 PM
03/27/05 02:02 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Mike Said:
quote:
Mark, at least you have gone on public record as disagreeing with the SDA view of the IJ. I would expect that from an official of MSDAOL.
Mike, I do not think that you should regard yourself to be the defining authority on SDA doctrine. I have opened up another thread for the light of this matter to be established. You are welcome to pursue it there at the same time we would like to continue the thread here in context of victory over sin.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12842
03/28/05 04:34 AM
03/28/05 04:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you're right, that is an awesome quote from DA - one of my favorite.

Thomas, yes, Adventism was built on the sanctuary message. It is the heart and soul of the final warning. "The hour of his judgment is come." Without it we are no different than any other protestant church. Here's what Sister White said about it:

1SM 209
We are God's commandment-keeping people. For the past fifty years every phase of heresy has been brought to bear upon us, to becloud our minds regarding the teaching of the Word--especially concerning the ministration of Christ in the heavenly sanctuary, and the message of Heaven for these last days, as given by the angels of the fourteenth chapter of Revelation. Messages of every order and kind have been urged upon Seventh-day Adventists, to take the place of the truth which, point by point, has been sought out by prayerful study, and testified to by the miracle-working power of the Lord. But the waymarks which have made us what we are, are to be preserved, and they will be preserved, as God has signified through His Word and the testimony of His Spirit. He calls upon us to hold firmly, with the grip of faith, to the fundamental principles that are based upon unquestionable authority. {1SM 208.2}

LDE 45, 46
In a special sense Seventh-day Adventists have been set in the world as watchmen and light bearers. To them has been entrusted the last warning for a perishing world. On them is shining wonderful light from the Word of God. They have been given a work of the most solemn import--the proclamation of the first, second, and third angels' messages. There is no other work of so great importance. They are to allow nothing else to absorb their attention. {LDE 45.3}

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12843
03/27/05 05:04 PM
03/27/05 05:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
My observations as follows: You have not once used the words: faith, trust, judgment, believe. I do not know if that has any meaning, but if it does, I have grave concerns as to the meaning of your words: connected, imitate, conversion, co-operate, light of the cross, fellowship. Please explain the contradiction between your way of victory over sin and what I have expressed.

Actually, it appears that we agree regarding the results of righteousness by faith. I believe we begin at rebirth where Jesus began at birth. The way of victory over sin begins the moment we respond to the wooing influence of the Holy Spirit to confess our sinful traits of character in light of the cross. “The exceeding sinfulness of sin can be estimated only in the light of the cross.” SC 31. During what Sister White calls the “process of conversion” (DA 172) we confess our sinfulness, in light of the cross.

Victory over sin, however, doesn’t begin for us until the moment we experience the miracle of rebirth. This happens when we confess, in light of the cross, the last defective trait of character revealed to us by the Holy Spirit. Our “old man”, which is the sum total of our character imperfections, is crucified and we are born again. We become “new creatures” in Christ. God implants within us the sinless seed of the mind of the new man. We are born again “dead to sin” and “awake to righteousness”.

Once we are born again we begin a life of victory over sin, that is, we start living without committing known sins. Which isn’t possible before we are born again. By faith we trust the promises of God, and it is so, we live without sinning. But more than this, we experience the fruits of the Spirit. Victory over sin includes imitating the sinless example of Jesus by obeying the law of God. This wonderful reality is made possible through the divine implantation of the sinless mind of the new man, which enables us to partake of the divine nature, which empowers us to imitate the sinless example of Jesus.

By the way, the reason I refer to the cross in the context of the process of conversion is because even unconverted worldlings are aware of their defects and imperfections. But seeing them in light of the cross is what makes the difference. It's the cross that motivates us to confess our sins, and to crave rebirth and freedom from sin.

I’m not sure how this view differs from the one you have embraced.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12844
03/27/05 05:31 PM
03/27/05 05:31 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Mike: I’m not sure how this view differs from the one you have embraced.
Well Mike, if you are not sure what it is, that I am saying, and yet you seem to think it is so contradictory to your thoughts; it strikes me that your conclusions have not been reasoned.

Please revisit again my comments and tell me what it is that concerns you. If it is related to victory over sin place your comments here. If you think the concern is the IJ doctrine then place your comments in the thread on IJ I opened.

I am confident that once the matter is reviewed my comments will stand undaunted.

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!