HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Tom] #128477
10/28/10 06:42 PM
10/28/10 06:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, a weakness of your view is that it has no answer for the problem of evil. That is, why evil exists. The Open View answers this question by stating that God creating beings who could love and be loved, which entails risk, and that there is no way around this risk, given the existence of love. You don't have an answer to the question of why God would choose to create a being He was certain would invent sin as opposed to one He was certain would not.

I'm going to cross post this on the other thread about conditional/unconditional prophecies, as I think it fits better there.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Mountain Man] #128481
10/28/10 06:56 PM
10/28/10 06:56 PM
K
kland  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
M: "He loses patience and will kill you" is an unfortunate way of dumbing it down.

K: In what way do you smarten it up?

M: It is a delicate truth. It demands finesse. Ellen describes it with the necessary tact:
Again, it sounds like you truly do think it is out of God's character which is why it "demands" finesse to whitewash it. I don't think I'm getting the point across clearly, but consider if Tom thinks anything "demands" finesse to support his view? I would say not, as God does not nor will not act out of His character nor does anything which would even appear that way nor uses methods evil men/angels use and therefore does not need anything to finesse it.

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: kland] #128484
10/28/10 07:07 PM
10/28/10 07:07 PM
K
kland  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Trying again. Saying "delicate truth" hints at characterizing some mafia boss as needing to whitewash his acts in such a way for those with him to accept them as being "correct". For nothing "the boss" does is wrong, so it needs to be couched in a certain way to make it fit in with the morals of those who have joined him.

As in:
He just lopped off that guy's head for questioning him

turns into:
He needed to further the unity of the group to further it's ideals and cohesiveness so the action may be misunderstood, but was the result of providing support to the group for the benefit of all with only their best interests in mind.

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Tom] #128490
10/29/10 02:03 AM
10/29/10 02:03 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Did the angels who eventually sinned have character traits that result in sinning? And, did the angels and other beings who did not sin lack the character traits that result in sinning?

T: All the of the angels, and all created beings, were created with free will and had the possibility of either choosing to sin or not sin. When the Great Controversy happened, and the cross, that resulted in people (beings) choosing one side or another, and being settled in their choices.

It sounds like you're suggesting the cross was necessary to guarantee none of the future possible outcomes includes FMAs sinning. Also, I'm still not clear on why you believe God knows none of the future possible outcomes includes FMAs sinning (if knowing their character traits isn't the reason why).

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Mountain Man] #128497
10/29/10 03:23 PM
10/29/10 03:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, I have no further comment.

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Mountain Man] #128501
10/29/10 03:50 PM
10/29/10 03:50 PM
K
kland  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Would that be an example of what I was trying to say and also an example of not being able to give logical support? I later heard on the radio they even used the word "whitewash", regarding Nazi Germany. I found that relevant.

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: kland] #128505
10/29/10 07:07 PM
10/29/10 07:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Did the angels who eventually sinned have character traits that result in sinning? And, did the angels and other beings who did not sin lack the character traits that result in sinning?

T: All the of the angels, and all created beings, were created with free will and had the possibility of either choosing to sin or not sin. When the Great Controversy happened, and the cross, that resulted in people (beings) choosing one side or another, and being settled in their choices.

M:It sounds like you're suggesting the cross was necessary to guarantee none of the future possible outcomes includes FMAs sinning.

I quoted Ellen White. It sounds like you're suggesting that she suggested the cross was necessary to guarantee none of the future possible outcomes includes FMAs sinning.

Quote:
Also, I'm still not clear on why you believe God knows none of the future possible outcomes includes FMAs sinning

We're told that sin won't arise again. That must mean that there aren't any possibilities that include FMAs sinning, right? I'm not really understanding the question here (that is, why there even is a question).

Quote:
(if knowing their character traits isn't the reason why).

I don't know what you're thinking is here, so don't know how to respond.

Did you notice #128477?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Tom] #128506
10/29/10 07:13 PM
10/29/10 07:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: kland
I don't think I'm getting the point across clearly, but consider if Tom thinks anything "demands" finesse to support his view? I would say not, as God does not nor will not act out of His character nor does anything which would even appear that way nor uses methods evil men/angels use and therefore does not need anything to finesse it.

This is an interesting question. I think God, or Christ, will do things which appear out of character, to get someone's attention or call attention to some type of action. For example, there's the way Christ treated the person asking Him for help, saying that He had not come for dogs. He treated her like a typical Jew would, although it was very difficult for Him to do so. He wasn't able to keep up the charade for very long, but "broke down" and healed her, treating her with compassion, etc.

Christ's cursing the fig tree is another example.

Also God, in the time of Moses, was constrained to do many things that weren't His ideal will. Christ's comment about divorce being allowed is an example. The Israelites having a king is another. Violence is another. Polygamy is another.

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Tom] #128515
10/30/10 03:07 PM
10/30/10 03:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

M: It sounds like you're suggesting the cross was necessary to guarantee none of the future possible outcomes includes FMAs sinning.

T: I quoted Ellen White. It sounds like you're suggesting that she suggested the cross was necessary to guarantee none of the future possible outcomes includes FMAs sinning.

It seems obvious to me, considering all the passages I've posted recently here and there, that Ellen believed the death of Jesus would have been unnecessary if A&E had successfully resisted Satan in Eden. But because they failed, God chose to implement the plan of salvation. As a result of A&E's failure what should have been settled in the beginning hasn't been settled in 6000 years. That is, the great controversy still hasn't been settled satisfactorily, at least not to the point Jesus can end it now. Again, had A&E succeeded, they and the rest of the universe would have been "rendered eternally secure" and would have enjoyed "perpetual favor with God." Which implies the evil angels would have been judged and executed. Otherwise, to what purpose would it have served God to continue granting them life and breath?

Quote:
M: Also, I'm still not clear on why you believe God knows none of the future possible outcomes includes FMAs sinning . . .

T: We're told that sin won't arise again. That must mean that there aren't any possibilities that include FMAs sinning, right? I'm not really understanding the question here (that is, why there even is a question).

M: . . . (if knowing their character traits isn't the reason why).

T: I don't know what you're thinking is here, so don't know how to respond.

Right, I'm cool with "God said it, I believe it, that settles it for me." But for some reason I thought you knew of reasons that transcend simple faith, simply taking God at His word. Assuming Nahum 1:9 implies none of the future possible outcomes involves FMAs sinning simply because it says so seems, well, a little too simple for someone of your talent and intelligence (I am not being sarcastic, as you well know, I believe you are a talented and intelligent person).

Quote:
T: Did you notice #128477?

Yes, but I addressed it on the other thread. Is that what you wanted me to do?

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Tom] #128516
10/30/10 03:35 PM
10/30/10 03:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
I don't think I'm getting the point across clearly, but consider if Tom thinks anything "demands" finesse to support his view? I would say not, as God does not nor will not act out of His character nor does anything which would even appear that way nor uses methods evil men/angels use and therefore does not need anything to finesse it.

This is an interesting question. I think God, or Christ, will do things which appear out of character, to get someone's attention or call attention to some type of action. For example, there's the way Christ treated the person asking Him for help, saying that He had not come for dogs. He treated her like a typical Jew would, although it was very difficult for Him to do so. He wasn't able to keep up the charade for very long, but "broke down" and healed her, treating her with compassion, etc.

Christ's cursing the fig tree is another example. Also God, in the time of Moses, was constrained to do many things that weren't His ideal will. Christ's comment about divorce being allowed is an example. The Israelites having a king is another. Violence is another. Polygamy is another.

Much finesse is required to explain why you believe we cannot take God at His word, that is, take what He said at face value, according to the most obvious meaning of the words He employed. "The language of the Bible should be explained according to its obvious meaning, unless a symbol or figure is employed." {GC 598.3}

For example, when it says God "slew" King Saul (1 Chronicles 10:14) you are quick to point out that it also says "Saul took a sword, and fell upon it" (verse 4). You then go on to say, with much finesse, that the Bible often gives God the credit for doing things which, in fact, He did not do.

You also, as you stated above, apologetically interpret the stories in the Bible where God commands His chosen people to "utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass" (1 Samuel 15:3). You say, again with much finesse, that these kinds of stories, like the humane hunter illustration, represent God compromising character to reach the people in darkness, that is, commanding them to commit genocide was totally out of character but the times and circumstances forced Him.

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!