HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Mountain Man] #128594
11/03/10 03:12 AM
11/03/10 03:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, I believe the quotes I posted imply the entire universe would have been "rendered eternally secure" had A&E succeeded in Eden.

Why? What would have made the universe eternally secure? How would the questions Satan raised have been answered?

Quote:
I cannot imagine A&E enjoying "perpetual favor with God" while the rest of the universe is in doubt and peril. I understand you disagree.

My disagreement with you here is that you're taking a statement dealing with one subject, and trying to make it deal with a subject it's not discussing.

Quote:
You believe they (the quotes I posted) mean only A&E would have been "rendered eternally secure", only A&E would have enjoyed "perpetual favor with God", Satan's accusations would have remained unanswered, and the rest of the universe would have been unarmed against the evil seed of doubt and at risk of sinning and rebelling. Or, have I misunderstood you? If not,

The statement says that if Adam and Eve had been faithful, they would have been secure. Sure, why not? Do you think the reverse is possible?

But this is true for every other of the millions of worlds that didn't accede to Satan's temptations. If simply resisting Satan's temptations was all that was necessary to render the universe secure, then this had already happened millions of times.

Quote:
PS - You wrote - "I agree with the thought that Christ's death wouldn't have been necessary, but don't know why you would think this is obvious." Why do you believe the death of Jesus would have been unnecessary if A&E had succeeded in Eden?

I think God would have answered the questions that Satan raised in some other way.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Tom] #128597
11/03/10 02:07 PM
11/03/10 02:07 PM
K
kland  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: kland
I guess I was approaching it from a different way but agree with what you said. But what if we should see someone that seems to be God, calling down fire from heaven and burning people alive, how do we know He is not just getting people's attention or meeting them where they are as they are willing to allow Him?

This is a good question! I know of people with what I consider a very positive view of God overall who believe that God did things like this as an emergency measure. I think the answer to your question come back to Jesus Christ as the revelation of God. What did Jesus Christ reveal? I think we come closes to the truth, closes to deciphering these things, by considering Christ's life and teachings above all, as the baseline.

So I hear you saying that we need to not take an act but the overall character of the one in question. So if we see someone doing great acts, getting people's attention, we should consider their overall character. But while Jesus did things that may have appeared to be out of character, He did not hurt anyone nor ask anyone to hurt anyone. Would that be one idea of how we can know? But as you pointed out in the Old Testament, God asked people to do things that weren't his ideal will. How can we be sure that someone sounding great and commanding the deaths of "heretics" weren't just getting people's attention and not his ideal will? Or is it that since Christ has come changes things?

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Mountain Man] #128598
11/03/10 02:13 PM
11/03/10 02:13 PM
K
kland  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, I believe the quotes I posted imply the entire universe would have been "rendered eternally secure" had A&E succeeded in Eden. I cannot imagine A&E enjoying "perpetual favor with God" while the rest of the universe is in doubt and peril.

How did the other worlds succeeding at their test not make the universe eternally secure? If Adam and Eve succeeded, and a future world was created, would they be tested? If not, why were the ones before the earth? If so, why, if the universe was already eternally secure?

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: kland] #128599
11/03/10 02:42 PM
11/03/10 02:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: kland
So I hear you saying that we need to not take an act but the overall character of the one in question. So if we see someone doing great acts, getting people's attention, we should consider their overall character. But while Jesus did things that may have appeared to be out of character, He did not hurt anyone nor ask anyone to hurt anyone. Would that be one idea of how we can know? But as you pointed out in the Old Testament, God asked people to do things that weren't his ideal will. How can we be sure that someone sounding great and commanding the deaths of "heretics" weren't just getting people's attention and not his ideal will? Or is it that since Christ has come changes things?

Christ's coming changed things dramatically, and that's the point. Before Christ's coming, we saw through a glass dimly. But Christ was the exact imprint of the Father; a perfect reproduction of His character. This is the theme of the NT, I believe, and all of Scripture, to a degree. Before Christ, everything pointed to Him, but in a vague sort of way, in types and figures. But when Christ came, it was "This is it!!! *This* is what the prophets were speaking of."

But it was a different type of coming than expected. It was one which required spiritual eyes to see.

The big problem then is the same problem as now, which is one of character. The Jews were not seeing that they were morally bankrupt, and needed to have their characters transformed (to be born again). Jesus spoke to them of a spiritual kingdom, which involved spiritual issues, primarily the true character of His Father, and those who would worship Him, and thus enter His kingdom.

They wanted One who would vanquish their physical enemies, not recognizing that the really enemies that needed vanquishing were spiritual one, including the devil and his followers, and the demons in their own heart.

The same problem exists today. There is a superficial view of what being Christ-like in character involves. Many have the idea that Christ could come in a very short amount of time, because of this superficial misconception. They're just waiting for the mark of the beast and Sunday laws, and think they're ready, because they're keeping the Sabbath and know the 28 fundamental beliefs. Just like the Jews, they're waiting for a God of force to vanquish their physical enemies. Quite a number of times EGW said we were "just like the Jews," and she was right.

The final message will be one of God's character of love. The enemy has revealed God as one who is harsh and severe, One utterly unlike Jesus Christ. That there is a disconnect here is obvious, so obvious that MM tries to bring in that Jesus Christ was the one acting in the OT in order to bring in the harsh/violent/forceful behavior which is missing in the life of Jesus Christ during His earthly ministry.

It seems like a God like Jesus Christ, truly like Him, would be insufficient to take care of the problems which Satan has caused. I think there's actually two blind spots. This is one, and the other is just how much God is doing, how hard He constantly works, to keep the world, and people, in as good a shape as it (they) is (are) in.

A humble God, like Jesus Christ was, who doesn't use force, who doesn't use the methods of the enemy, can't deal with the problems we have, seems to be the thought. How different the kingdom of God is from the kingdom of this world isn't perceived. So a superficial work is all that is desired, as this is all that's perceived to be necessary.

Where this theme really comes through is in seeing what happened during the 1888 era.

I'm rambling a bit, but wanted to give a framework of how I perceive things. To answer your question, as to how we can know what God's ideal will is, this has been my point, that it's only by looking at the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. We should start there, and use that as our base line, and measure everything else according to that.

Instead what many do is join the OT witness to what Jesus Christ did, and use that as their baseline as to what God is like, but this can only lead to confusion. There's a ton of violence in the OT, and a lot of odd behavior on God's part, if one doesn't look beyond the surface.

For example, we see a number of times where God says He's going to utterly destroy the COI (children of Israel), but Moses and/or Aaron intervene, and God relents. How should we understand this? That Aaron and Moses were more caring and compassionate than God, who just wanted to destroy people who disobeyed Him? God seems very impatient in a number of these episodes, and petty in others.

But if we look at Jesus Christ, we see clearly God's true character fully revealed, which leads us to look beneath the surface and ask, "What's really going on here?" Many, it seems, are unaware that this question even needs to be asked.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Tom] #128600
11/03/10 04:03 PM
11/03/10 04:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: You wrote - "I agree with the thought that Christ's death wouldn't have been necessary, but don't know why you would think this is obvious." Why do you believe the death of Jesus would have been unnecessary if A&E had succeeded in Eden?

T: I think God would have answered the questions that Satan raised in some other way.

And I think the quotes I posted *imply* the entire universe was "rendered eternally secure" when A&E succeeded in Eden. At any rate, do you think only A&E would have enjoyed "perpetual favor with God" while everyone else would have been unarmed and at risk of rebelling? Also, what was the basis of their loyalty when they chose not to side with Satan - blind faith?

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Mountain Man] #128602
11/03/10 04:32 PM
11/03/10 04:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
And I think the quotes I posted *imply* the entire universe was "rendered eternally secure" when A&E succeeded in Eden.

You keep repeating this, and keep ignoring the question I've asked, although I've asked you many times now. How would A&E have answered the questions which Satan raised regarding God's character?

Quote:
At any rate, do you think only A&E would have enjoyed "perpetual favor with God" while everyone else would have been unarmed and at risk of rebelling?

As I explained, she wasn't addressing this issue. Also, as I pointed out, and kland too, if simply resisting Satan's temptations were all that was needed to render the universe secure, this had already been done many, many times.

Quote:
Also, what was the basis of their loyalty when they chose not to side with Satan - blind faith?

The faithful in unfallen worlds? They weighed the evidence, and made a decision based on that, just as we do.

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Mountain Man] #128621
11/04/10 12:53 PM
11/04/10 12:53 PM
K
kland  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
And I think the quotes I posted *imply*...

Then would you be saying that some of what Ellen White wrote may not be as clear as previously implied?

Last edited by kland; 11/04/10 12:56 PM.
Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Tom] #128630
11/05/10 03:01 AM
11/05/10 03:01 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: And I think the quotes I posted *imply* the entire universe was "rendered eternally secure" when A&E succeeded in Eden.

T: You keep repeating this, and keep ignoring the question I've asked, although I've asked you many times now. How would A&E have answered the questions which Satan raised regarding God's character?

I haven't ignored your question; instead, you have rejected my answer as untrue. Had A&E succeeded in Eden it would have disproved everything Satan said about the law and character of God. Satan said it is impossible to obey the law perfectly (referring to unfallen beings, including A&E) and experience peace and happiness.

Quote:
M: At any rate, do you think only A&E would have enjoyed "perpetual favor with God" while everyone else would have been unarmed and at risk of rebelling?

T: As I explained, she wasn't addressing this issue. Also, as I pointed out, and kland too, if simply resisting Satan's temptations were all that was needed to render the universe secure, this had already been done many, many times.

So, yes, you do believe only A&E would have have enjoyed "perpetual favor with God and the heavenly angels" while the rest of the unfallen universe would have been unarmed and at risk of rebelling. In other words, only mankind and holy angels would have been immune. I disagree.

Quote:
M: Also, what was the basis of their loyalty when they chose not to side with Satan - blind faith?

T: The faithful in unfallen worlds? They weighed the evidence, and made a decision based on that, just as we do.

By "everyone else" I included the holy angels. Why did evil angels choose to rebel whereas holy angels (and everyone else throughout the universe) chose not to rebel? What did they base their decision on? And, why do you believe this decision was insufficient to render them eternally secure?

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Mountain Man] #128635
11/05/10 03:46 AM
11/05/10 03:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: And I think the quotes I posted *imply* the entire universe was "rendered eternally secure" when A&E succeeded in Eden.

T: You keep repeating this, and keep ignoring the question I've asked, although I've asked you many times now. How would A&E have answered the questions which Satan raised regarding God's character?

M:I haven't ignored your question; instead, you have rejected my answer as untrue.

No, not at all. Indeed, I explicitly did the reverse. Explicitly, as in, I exactly said I was not doing this. Are you reading what I write?

What I've been asking you to do is to explain how your idea answers the question.

Quote:
Had A&E succeeded in Eden it would have disproved everything Satan said about the law and character of God. Satan said it is impossible to obey the law perfectly (referring to unfallen beings, including A&E) and experience peace and happiness.

But, as has been explained many times now, this had already been done by the "millions of worlds" where Satan had made the same temptations. So why would what A&E have done achieved what you're claiming, as compared to the other "millions of worlds" that had done the same thing?

Why are you not addressing this question? You say you are not ignoring it, but you certainly aren't answering it.

Quote:
M: At any rate, do you think only A&E would have enjoyed "perpetual favor with God" while everyone else would have been unarmed and at risk of rebelling?

T: As I explained, she wasn't addressing this issue. Also, as I pointed out, and kland too, if simply resisting Satan's temptations were all that was needed to render the universe secure, this had already been done many, many times.

M:So, yes, you do believe only A&E would have have enjoyed "perpetual favor with God and the heavenly angels" while the rest of the unfallen universe would have been unarmed and at risk of rebelling.

No, MM. This wasn't said. You seem intent on just reading whatever you want into what other people write, as opposed to reading for understanding. That's not going to lead to a productive discussion.

Quote:
In other words, only mankind and holy angels would have been immune. I disagree.

Ok, you disagree with your own fabrication. You're having a conversation with yourself. I hope you'll engage in a conversation with me sometime soon.

Quote:
M: Also, what was the basis of their loyalty when they chose not to side with Satan - blind faith?

T: The faithful in unfallen worlds? They weighed the evidence, and made a decision based on that, just as we do.

M:By "everyone else" I included the holy angels.

The same answer applies. They thought about it, and did what they thought was best.

Quote:
Why did evil angels choose to rebel whereas holy angels (and everyone else throughout the universe) chose not to rebel?

Why do some people accept Christ while others reject Him? How would you expect a question like this to be answerable? It's like asking why some people are faithful to their spouses while others are not. Or why two different children, raised by the same parents, turn out differently. Could even be identical twins that this happens to.

Quote:
What did they base their decision on? And, why do you believe this decision was insufficient to render them eternally secure?

To answer the last question, because that's what God revealed, above all. The chapter "It Is Finished," among other places, explains this. So do the quotes which have been presented which say that without the cross of Christ, the holy angels would have been no more secure than the unfaithful angels were when they rebelled. So we have:

1.The evil angels were not secure.
2.The holy angels would not have been any more secure than the evil angels in 1) without the cross.
3.After the cross they were secure.

This is what the statement says, isn't it? So, assuming you accept the statement (that this is what it says; I can requote it for you if desired), then we know that the evil angels were not secure at the time they rebelled, but the holy angels are after the sacrifice of Christ, right?

Let's make sure we're agreeing about this first, and, if so, perhaps you can explain what your question is a little more, because I'm sorry but I'm not following you.

Re: How can it be assured sin won't rise a second time? [Re: Tom] #128669
11/06/10 04:00 PM
11/06/10 04:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, yes, the loyal FMAs chose not to side with Satan and the disloyal angels. You are asking, Why didn't their obedience and faithfulness disprove Satan's accusations? I suspect it's because they weren't sure why their decision disproved his accusations. Perhaps this is why God created A&E so soon afterward. Watching a "third party", as it were, deal with Satan's accusations would allow them to be objective about it. A&E's success in Eden would validated their success in heaven. Also, the miserable existence of Satan and the fallen angels would have stood in contrast to the peace and happiness A&E would have been enjoying in Eden.

But nothing is more convincing to me than the fact had A&E succeeded in Eden it would have "rendered eternally secure" the entire universe. I'm basing this conclusion on the fact it would have placed A&E in "perpetual favor with God and the heavenly angels". The fact Ellen includes "the heavenly angels" clearly means they would have enjoyed perpetual favor with God the same as A&E. Enjoying "perpetual favor with God" necessarily means they would have been "rendered eternally secure" and would have been "placed beyond [Satan's] power, to enjoy perpetual favor with God". In other words, Satan's accusations would have had no affect on them. They would have been rendered bogus and untrue.

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!