HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 92 of 103 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128632
11/05/10 03:28 AM
11/05/10 03:28 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Tom, unless you agree God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously without altering how we experience time and space we cannot discuss this topic.

This isn't true.

Quote:
For similar reasons atheists and believers cannot discuss the existence of God. Basic beliefs are prerequisite to discuss certain topics.

Nor this.

The error you've been making is to misuse the word "reality," using it as if it were "perception of reality." This has nothing whatsoever to do with some idea you have regarding God's existence in time.

The difficulty in our discussion has to do more with your use, or misuse, of words than anything else, and refusal to answer questions put to you.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128644
11/05/10 02:25 PM
11/05/10 02:25 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, unless you agree God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously without altering how we experience time and space we cannot discuss this topic. For similar reasons atheists and believers cannot discuss the existence of God. Basic beliefs are prerequisite to discuss certain topics.
MM, all this philosophical talk is interesting, but I'm concerned about you. I keep trying to find a practical application to all this. It appears to me, that you dismiss the atheist and dismiss Rodriguez' concerns of such view. Do you not have any desire to reach out to the atheist and others who hold a similar view basis as yours? And yet, you offer no practical means other than giving the suggestion that he needs to be told he is ignorant of his ignorance. Do you truly think that would be helpful to him?

But then again, it does fit in with your view, though not really sure of which view of which reality. If you believe it's already played out and our reality can't play out differently from God's reality, then it's already played out and nothing, absolutely nothing, you can do can affect the already played out result of the atheist. So that would shed light on what seems to be your apparent dismissal of the atheist.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #128666
11/06/10 03:24 PM
11/06/10 03:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I didn't use the word "reality" in my last post. Have you ever been to heaven? Of course not. So, God's reality includes an experience in time and space which yours does not. It has nothing to do with perception. In this case, it has to do with the fact God is omnipresent whereas you are not. This fundamental difference between you and God accounts for His reality including things yours does not. It's not two realities; instead, it's God's existence and experience in time and space including things ours does not.

By the way, how do you discuss things about God with an atheist which require believing God actually exists? It's like trying to discuss computers with an aboriginal from Borneo.

Last edited by Mountain Man; 11/06/10 03:27 PM.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128667
11/06/10 03:26 PM
11/06/10 03:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, you are wrong about me.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128668
11/06/10 03:30 PM
11/06/10 03:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, John 3:16 makes it clear Jesus knew He would succeed on the cross. Otherwise, He lied to Nicodemus. Nowhere in the Bible does it represent Jesus expressing doubt about it. He knew with absolutely He would succeed on Calvary.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128679
11/07/10 05:45 AM
11/07/10 05:45 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, I didn't use the word "reality" in my last post.

I was referring to the posts you wrote where you used it. This wasn't clear?

Quote:
Have you ever been to heaven? Of course not. So, God's reality includes an experience in time and space which yours does not.

This is like talking to a wall.

To repeat, "God's reality" doesn't make sense. I've explained why. You ignore what I write, not even responding to the points made.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with perception. In this case, it has to do with the fact God is omnipresent whereas you are not.

You're either not listening to what I'm saying, or not caring, and simply choosing to talk about something else.

Quote:
This fundamental difference between you and God accounts for His reality including things yours does not. It's not two realities; instead, it's God's existence and experience in time and space including things ours does not.

I'll try yet again. "Reality" is what is. This is not "perception of reality" which is what you are talking about.

It doesn't make sense to talk about "God's reality" and "our reality." There's only reality, and something other than reality.

That you keep using the phrase "God's reality" either means you're not understanding what I'm saying, or don't care. If you disagree with this point, you could at least acknowledge it, and offer some sort of counter argument, as opposed to simply ignoring it.

Quote:
By the way, how do you discuss things about God with an atheist which require believing God actually exists? It's like trying to discuss computers with an aboriginal from Borneo.

What's this have to do with anything?

I'm going to try again to ask what I've been trying to ask for what seems like several weeks now, and may well be. Is the future open, or is it fixed? What is reality? Not "God's reality" and "our reality," since there's only one reality.

Which is it?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128680
11/07/10 05:55 AM
11/07/10 05:55 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, John 3:16 makes it clear Jesus knew He would succeed on the cross.

No it doesn't. Jesus knew there was a risk involved in what He was doing.

Quote:
Otherwise, He lied to Nicodemus.

A lie is a falsehood told with the intention of deceiving. If Jesus was assuming a risk in His mission, it's your claim that Jesus was telling Nicodemus a falsehood with the intention of deceiving him? How so?

Quote:
Nowhere in the Bible does it represent Jesus expressing doubt about it.

The Bible represents God as taking risks. Unless you don't believe Jesus Christ was tempted at the cross, then Christ was at risk. Or do you think Christ could not have failed against the temptations He faced?

Quote:
He knew with absolutely He would succeed on Calvary.

If Christ knew with absolute certain He would succeed in His mission, then there was no chance He could have failed. This is really what you wish to assert? There was no chance Christ would have failed?

Because if this is really what you wish to assert, then Christ wasn't really tempted, as temptation is not temptation without the possibility of failure.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128685
11/07/10 05:48 PM
11/07/10 05:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Tom, I didn't use the word "reality" in my last post.

T: I was referring to the posts you wrote where you used it. This wasn't clear?

You introduced it.

Quote:
M: Have you ever been to heaven? Of course not. So, God's reality includes an experience in time and space which yours does not.

T: This is like talking to a wall. To repeat, "God's reality" doesn't make sense. I've explained why. You ignore what I write, not even responding to the points made.

That’s why I prefer to use the word “experience”. Because of who and what God is His experience in time and space includes experiences ours cannot. Do you at least agree with this concept in principle?

Quote:
M: It has nothing to do with perception. In this case, it has to do with the fact God is omnipresent whereas you are not.

T: You're either not listening to what I'm saying, or not caring, and simply choosing to talk about something else.

Again, God’s experience in time and space includes experiences ours cannot.

Quote:
M: This fundamental difference between you and God accounts for His reality including things yours does not. It's not two realities; instead, it's God's existence and experience in time and space including things ours does not.

T: I'll try yet again. "Reality" is what is. This is not "perception of reality" which is what you are talking about. It doesn't make sense to talk about "God's reality" and "our reality." There's only reality, and something other than reality. That you keep using the phrase "God's reality" either means you're not understanding what I'm saying, or don't care. If you disagree with this point, you could at least acknowledge it, and offer some sort of counter argument, as opposed to simply ignoring it.

Would you say, then, that reality is the same for us and the many different species of unfallen beings scattered throughout God’s vast universe? If so, what word do you use to describe the fact their experience in time and space includes experiences ours cannot?

Quote:
M: By the way, how do you discuss things about God with an atheist which require believing God actually exists? It's like trying to discuss computers with an aboriginal from Borneo.

T: What's this have to do with anything?

Somewhere somebody brought up trying to explain to an atheist what God is like. Never mind.

Quote:
T: I'm going to try again to ask what I've been trying to ask for what seems like several weeks now, and may well be. Is the future open, or is it fixed? What is reality? Not "God's reality" and "our reality," since there's only one reality. Which is it?

As we live and breathe, the future is wide open. However, there is the matter of unfulfilled prophecy to consider. Nevertheless, just because God knows exactly how the future will play out it does not mean we are not free to choose as we please. God’s knowledge of the future merely reflects the choices we were free to make and, of course, the way Jesus managed the outcome of our choices.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128686
11/07/10 06:54 PM
11/07/10 06:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Tom, John 3:16 makes it clear Jesus knew He would succeed on the cross.

T: No it doesn't. Jesus knew there was a risk involved in what He was doing.

Jesus became a human and, as such, He possessed the necessary traits and attributes to sin and fail. However, just because Jesus could have sinned and failed it does not mean He had no idea He would certainly succeed. Again, where in the Bible does Jesus specifically say, There is a chance I will fail? In the past, you have answered this question by citing unrelated passages and then insisted a similar principle serves to answer my question. By the way, as you know, there are dozens of places where Jesus states unequivocally He will succeed. John 3:16 in one such place. Here’s another one – “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” And, here’s another one – “Let not your heart be troubled . . . I will come again, and receive you unto myself.”

Quote:
M: Otherwise, He lied to Nicodemus.

T: A lie is a falsehood told with the intention of deceiving. If Jesus was assuming a risk in His mission, it's your claim that Jesus was telling Nicodemus a falsehood with the intention of deceiving him? How so?

If Jesus had no idea He would certainly succeed, why, then, did He express it in no uncertain terms? Not once did Jesus imply or insinuate He might not succeed. Every time He spoke about it, He emphatically stated, “I will”. For example:

1. I will give you rest.
2. I will build this church [upon the Rock].
3. I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven.
4. I will [drink this wine and eat this bread] with you in my Father's kingdom.
5. I will go before you into Galilee [after I am risen again].
6. I will raise him up at the last day.
7. I will come again.
8. I will come to you.
9. I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
10. I will send unto you [the Comforter].
11. I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice.
12. I shall be perfected [on the third day].

Quote:
M: Nowhere in the Bible does it represent Jesus expressing doubt about it.

T: The Bible represents God as taking risks. Unless you don't believe Jesus Christ was tempted at the cross, then Christ was at risk. Or do you think Christ could not have failed against the temptations He faced?

Could sin, could fail, is not the same thing as, have no idea He would certainly succeed. By the way, to answer your question, yes, by becoming a human being Jesus possessed the wherewithal to sin and fail.

Quote:
M: He knew with absolute certainty He would succeed on Calvary.

T: If Christ knew with absolute certain He would succeed in His mission, then there was no chance He could have failed. This is really what you wish to assert? There was no chance Christ would have failed? Because if this is really what you wish to assert, then Christ wasn't really tempted, as temptation is not temptation without the possibility of failure.

“He took upon Himself human nature, and was tempted in all points as human nature is tempted. He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. {13MR 18.1}

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128694
11/08/10 07:51 AM
11/08/10 07:51 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Have you ever been to heaven? Of course not. So, God's reality includes an experience in time and space which yours does not.

T: This is like talking to a wall. To repeat, "God's reality" doesn't make sense. I've explained why. You ignore what I write, not even responding to the points made.

M:That’s why I prefer to use the word “experience”. Because of who and what God is His experience in time and space includes experiences ours cannot. Do you at least agree with this concept in principle?

Of course God's experience is different than ours. Even our experiences are different. This has no bearing on the subject, however. Reality is affected by our experiences.

Quote:
M: It has nothing to do with perception. In this case, it has to do with the fact God is omnipresent whereas you are not.

T: You're either not listening to what I'm saying, or not caring, and simply choosing to talk about something else.

M:Again, God’s experience in time and space includes experiences ours cannot.

Which is an example of exactly what I'm talking about. That is, you're not listening to what I'm saying (or not hearing it), and simply choosing to talk about something else.

Quote:
M: This fundamental difference between you and God accounts for His reality including things yours does not. It's not two realities; instead, it's God's existence and experience in time and space including things ours does not.

T: I'll try yet again. "Reality" is what is. This is not "perception of reality" which is what you are talking about. It doesn't make sense to talk about "God's reality" and "our reality." There's only reality, and something other than reality. That you keep using the phrase "God's reality" either means you're not understanding what I'm saying, or don't care. If you disagree with this point, you could at least acknowledge it, and offer some sort of counter argument, as opposed to simply ignoring it.

M:Would you say, then, that reality is the same for us and the many different species of unfallen beings scattered throughout God’s vast universe?

This is simply another example of the problem. "Reality for us" is the perception of reality. It's not reality. This is a different subject.

Quote:
If so, what word do you use to describe the fact their experience in time and space includes experiences ours cannot?

I haven't been talking about this, and this doesn't have a bearing on what I have been talking about.

Quote:
T: I'm going to try again to ask what I've been trying to ask for what seems like several weeks now, and may well be. Is the future open, or is it fixed? What is reality? Not "God's reality" and "our reality," since there's only one reality. Which is it?

M:As we live and breathe, the future is wide open. However, there is the matter of unfulfilled prophecy to consider. Nevertheless, just because God knows exactly how the future will play out it does not mean we are not free to choose as we please. God’s knowledge of the future merely reflects the choices we were free to make and, of course, the way Jesus managed the outcome of our choices.

Is the future wide open, or fixed? In reality? Choose one, please.

Page 92 of 103 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!