HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 93 of 103 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128695
11/08/10 07:58 AM
11/08/10 07:58 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Tom, John 3:16 makes it clear Jesus knew He would succeed on the cross.

T: No it doesn't. Jesus knew there was a risk involved in what He was doing.

M:Jesus became a human and, as such, He possessed the necessary traits and attributes to sin and fail. However, just because Jesus could have sinned and failed it does not mean He had no idea He would certainly succeed. Again, where in the Bible does Jesus specifically say, There is a chance I will fail? In the past, you have answered this question by citing unrelated passages and then insisted a similar principle serves to answer my question. By the way, as you know, there are dozens of places where Jesus states unequivocally He will succeed. John 3:16 in one such place. Here’s another one – “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” And, here’s another one – “Let not your heart be troubled . . . I will come again, and receive you unto myself.”

Jesus knew there was a risk involved.

Quote:
Never can the cost of our redemption be realized until the redeemed shall stand with the Redeemer before the throne of God. Then as the glories of the eternal home burst upon our enraptured senses we shall remember that Jesus left all this for us, that He not only became an exile from the heavenly courts, but for us took the risk of failure and eternal loss. Then we shall cast our crowns at His feet, and raise the song, “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing.” Revelation 5:12. {DA 131.2}

Quote:
M: Otherwise, He lied to Nicodemus.

T: A lie is a falsehood told with the intention of deceiving. If Jesus was assuming a risk in His mission, it's your claim that Jesus was telling Nicodemus a falsehood with the intention of deceiving him? How so?

M:If Jesus had no idea He would certainly succeed, why, then, did He express it in no uncertain terms?

Why wouldn't He have? What good would it have done? After all, if He failed, we wouldn't be here to talk about it.

A problem with how you're thinking of things is it makes Christ's temptations, the whole process, a sham. Satan never really had a chance, and, if you're right in your view of things, Satan must have known the whole thing was a sham too. So why would he go along with it?

Quote:
M: Nowhere in the Bible does it represent Jesus expressing doubt about it.

T: The Bible represents God as taking risks. Unless you don't believe Jesus Christ was tempted at the cross, then Christ was at risk. Or do you think Christ could not have failed against the temptations He faced?

M:Could sin, could fail, is not the same thing as, have no idea He would certainly succeed. By the way, to answer your question, yes, by becoming a human being Jesus possessed the wherewithal to sin and fail.

Could Christ have been wrong? That is, let's assume for the sake of argument that Christ was certain He would succeed. Could He have been wrong?

Quote:
M: He knew with absolute certainty He would succeed on Calvary.

T: If Christ knew with absolute certain He would succeed in His mission, then there was no chance He could have failed. This is really what you wish to assert? There was no chance Christ would have failed? Because if this is really what you wish to assert, then Christ wasn't really tempted, as temptation is not temptation without the possibility of failure.

I'm repeating this question, because instead of answering it, you quoted something apparently unrelated, with no comment. If what you quoted is related, please explain your thinking.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128696
11/08/10 08:03 AM
11/08/10 08:03 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'd like to go back to the problem of evil, MM. To your way of thinking, God deliberately chose to do things in such a way that sin was inevitable, which is to say that God chose for sin to happen. Do you agree with this? I'll break this down into two points:

1.God deliberately chose to do things in such a way that sin was inevitable. (You should agree to this point, since you've said this in the past).

2.God chose for sin to happen. (You haven't said this, so you might disagree, but it seems to me to follow from the first point. Do you disagree?)

Assuming that God did set into motion a course of action which made sin inevitable (this is actually the correct wording, in terms of what you've asserted in the past), there must be some reason for God to have done so. You've quoted that God would "establish His throne in righteousness," which implies that without sin, God would not have been able to do so.

Why not? What is God dependent upon sin? Do you not see an inherent problem with such a situation, with God needing sin to establish His throne in righteousness? If you say He didn't need sin to establish His throne in righteousness, then we're right back to the same question as to why God set into motion a course of action which made sin inevitable.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128698
11/08/10 02:52 PM
11/08/10 02:52 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
T: This is like talking to a wall. To repeat, "God's reality" doesn't make sense. I've explained why. You ignore what I write, not even responding to the points made.

M: That’s why I prefer to use the word “experience”. Because of who and what God is His experience in time and space includes experiences ours cannot.

Did you arbitrarily choose to substitute in a different word and definition for the one being discussed?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128703
11/08/10 05:45 PM
11/08/10 05:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: I'm going to try again to ask what I've been trying to ask for what seems like several weeks now, and may well be. Is the future open, or is it fixed? What is reality? Not "God's reality" and "our reality," since there's only one reality. Which is it?

M: As we live and breathe, the future is wide open. However, there is the matter of unfulfilled prophecy to consider. Nevertheless, just because God knows exactly how the future will play out it does not mean we are not free to choose as we please. God’s knowledge of the future merely reflects the choices we were free to make and, of course, the way Jesus managed the outcome of our choices.

T: Is the future wide open, or fixed? In reality? Choose one, please.

As we live and breathe, the future is wide open. We are free to choose as we please. The fact we will freely make choices God has already watched us make does not mean we were never truly free to make alternate decisions. This is reality.

However, there is the matter of unfulfilled prophecy to consider. Nevertheless, just because God knows exactly how the future will play out it does not mean we are not free to choose as we please. God’s knowledge of the future merely reflects the choices we were free to make and, of course, the way Jesus managed the outcome of our choices.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128704
11/08/10 06:03 PM
11/08/10 06:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
M: Tom, John 3:16 makes it clear Jesus knew He would succeed on the cross.

T: No it doesn't. Jesus knew there was a risk involved in what He was doing.

M:Jesus became a human and, as such, He possessed the necessary traits and attributes to sin and fail. However, just because Jesus could have sinned and failed it does not mean He had no idea He would certainly succeed. Again, where in the Bible does Jesus specifically say, There is a chance I will fail? In the past, you have answered this question by citing unrelated passages and then insisted a similar principle serves to answer my question. By the way, as you know, there are dozens of places where Jesus states unequivocally He will succeed. John 3:16 in one such place. Here’s another one – “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” And, here’s another one – “Let not your heart be troubled . . . I will come again, and receive you unto myself.”

Jesus knew there was a risk involved.

Quote:
Never can the cost of our redemption be realized until the redeemed shall stand with the Redeemer before the throne of God. Then as the glories of the eternal home burst upon our enraptured senses we shall remember that Jesus left all this for us, that He not only became an exile from the heavenly courts, but for us took the risk of failure and eternal loss. Then we shall cast our crowns at His feet, and raise the song, “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing.” Revelation 5:12. {DA 131.2}

Quote:
M: Otherwise, He lied to Nicodemus.

T: A lie is a falsehood told with the intention of deceiving. If Jesus was assuming a risk in His mission, it's your claim that Jesus was telling Nicodemus a falsehood with the intention of deceiving him? How so?

M:If Jesus had no idea He would certainly succeed, why, then, did He express it in no uncertain terms?

Why wouldn't He have? What good would it have done? After all, if He failed, we wouldn't be here to talk about it.

A problem with how you're thinking of things is it makes Christ's temptations, the whole process, a sham. Satan never really had a chance, and, if you're right in your view of things, Satan must have known the whole thing was a sham too. So why would he go along with it?

Quote:
M: Nowhere in the Bible does it represent Jesus expressing doubt about it.

T: The Bible represents God as taking risks. Unless you don't believe Jesus Christ was tempted at the cross, then Christ was at risk. Or do you think Christ could not have failed against the temptations He faced?

M:Could sin, could fail, is not the same thing as, have no idea He would certainly succeed. By the way, to answer your question, yes, by becoming a human being Jesus possessed the wherewithal to sin and fail.

Could Christ have been wrong? That is, let's assume for the sake of argument that Christ was certain He would succeed. Could He have been wrong?

Quote:
M: He knew with absolute certainty He would succeed on Calvary.

T: If Christ knew with absolute certain He would succeed in His mission, then there was no chance He could have failed. This is really what you wish to assert? There was no chance Christ would have failed? Because if this is really what you wish to assert, then Christ wasn't really tempted, as temptation is not temptation without the possibility of failure.

I'm repeating this question, because instead of answering it, you quoted something apparently unrelated, with no comment. If what you quoted is related, please explain your thinking.

I have quoted Jesus emphatically stating on 12 different occasions He will succeed. You seem to think we must interpret them to mean Jesus had no idea He would succeed. You have yet to quote Him emphatically stating He might not succeed. True, He possessed the ability to sin and fail, but He knew He would succeed. His ability to sin and fail was 100%, but the chances He would sin and fail was 0%.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128706
11/08/10 06:18 PM
11/08/10 06:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I'd like to go back to the problem of evil, MM. To your way of thinking, God deliberately chose to do things in such a way that sin was inevitable, which is to say that God chose for sin to happen. Do you agree with this? I'll break this down into two points:

1.God deliberately chose to do things in such a way that sin was inevitable. (You should agree to this point, since you've said this in the past).

2.God chose for sin to happen. (You haven't said this, so you might disagree, but it seems to me to follow from the first point. Do you disagree?)

Assuming that God did set into motion a course of action which made sin inevitable (this is actually the correct wording, in terms of what you've asserted in the past), there must be some reason for God to have done so. You've quoted that God would "establish His throne in righteousness," which implies that without sin, God would not have been able to do so.

Why not? What is God dependent upon sin? Do you not see an inherent problem with such a situation, with God needing sin to establish His throne in righteousness? If you say He didn't need sin to establish His throne in righteousness, then we're right back to the same question as to why God set into motion a course of action which made sin inevitable.

I don't know why the Godhead elected to create the FMAs they knew with absolute certainty would sin and die. The following passages provide the best insights I know of (your questions are addressed therein):

"The plan for our redemption was not an afterthought, a plan formulated after the fall of Adam. It was a revelation of "the mystery which hath been kept in silence through times eternal." Romans 16:25, R. V. It was an unfolding of the principles that from eternal ages have been the foundation of God's throne. From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. So great was His love for the world, that He covenanted to give His only-begotten Son, "that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16. {DA 22.2}

"The purpose and plan of grace existed from all eternity. Before the foundation of the world it was according to the determinate counsel of God that man should be created, endowed with power to do the divine will. But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter him from carrying out his eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish his throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning; "known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world." Therefore redemption was not an afterthought--a plan formulated after the fall of Adam--but an eternal purpose to be wrought out for the blessing not only of this atom of a world but for the good of all the worlds which God has created. {ST, April 25, 1892 par. 1}

Quote:
But known unto God are all His works, and from eternal ages the covenant of grace (unmerited favor) existed in the mind of God. It is called the everlasting covenant; for the plan of salvation was not conceived after the fall of man, but it was that which was "kept in silence through times eternal, but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, is made known unto all the nations unto obedience of faith." Romans 16:25, 26, A. R. V. {ST, December 15, 1914 par. 2}

The purpose and plan of grace existed from all eternity. Before the foundation of the world it was according to the determinate counsel of God that man should be created and endowed with power to do the divine will. The fall of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent. Redemption was not an afterthought, a plan formulated after the fall of Adam, but an eternal purpose, suffered to be wrought out for the blessing not only of this atom of a world, but for the good of all the worlds that God had created. {ST, December 15, 1914 par. 3}

Before Him who rules in the heavens, the mysteries of the past and the future are alike outspread; and God sees, beyond the woe and darkness and ruin that sin has wrought, the outworking of His purpose of love and blessing. Though clouds and darkness are round about Him, yet righteousness and judgment are the foundation of His throne. {ST, December 15, 1914 par. 4}

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128707
11/08/10 06:27 PM
11/08/10 06:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Have you ever been to heaven? Of course not. So, God's reality includes an experience in time and space which yours does not.

T: This is like talking to a wall. To repeat, "God's reality" doesn't make sense. I've explained why. You ignore what I write, not even responding to the points made.

M: That’s why I prefer to use the word “experience”. Because of who and what God is His experience in time and space includes experiences ours cannot. Do you at least agree with this concept in principle?

T: Of course God's experience is different than ours. Even our experiences are different. This has no bearing on the subject, however. Reality is affected by our experiences.

I'm glad you agree God's experience in time and space includes experiences ours cannot. What do you think accounts for it? Why does God's experience in time and space include experiences ours cannot?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128710
11/08/10 07:16 PM
11/08/10 07:16 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: I'm going to try again to ask what I've been trying to ask for what seems like several weeks now, and may well be. Is the future open, or is it fixed? What is reality? Not "God's reality" and "our reality," since there's only one reality. Which is it?

M: As we live and breathe, the future is wide open. However, there is the matter of unfulfilled prophecy to consider. Nevertheless, just because God knows exactly how the future will play out it does not mean we are not free to choose as we please. God’s knowledge of the future merely reflects the choices we were free to make and, of course, the way Jesus managed the outcome of our choices.

T: Is the future wide open, or fixed? In reality? Choose one, please.

M:As we live and breathe, the future is wide open. We are free to choose as we please. The fact we will freely make choices God has already watched us make does not mean we were never truly free to make alternate decisions. This is reality.

However, there is the matter of unfulfilled prophecy to consider. Nevertheless, just because God knows exactly how the future will play out it does not mean we are not free to choose as we please. God’s knowledge of the future merely reflects the choices we were free to make and, of course, the way Jesus managed the outcome of our choices.

You didn't answer my question. You just repeated what you said.

If the future wide open (i.e. multi-threaded, multiple possibilities), or fixed (i.e., settled, single-threaded, only one possibility.

It looks like you're contradicting yourself on this question. In some places you say it's wide open, but in others you say it's played out.

This is a simple question. Here are the choices.

a.The future is in reality wide open (multi-threaded).
b.The future is in reality not wide open (instead, it's single-threaded).

You should be able to answer "a" or "b". This would be preferable to a long-winded response, especially a repeated one, that doesn't answer the question.

If you first answer the question, (i.e. "a" or "b"), and then elaborate on why you answered it "a" or "b", that would be fine.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128712
11/08/10 07:19 PM
11/08/10 07:19 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
I have quoted Jesus emphatically stating on 12 different occasions He will succeed.

And you understand this to mean that Jesus did not undertake a risk?

Quote:
You seem to think we must interpret them to mean Jesus had no idea He would succeed.

No, MM. You really should be more careful in how you represent the position of others. I have at no time written anything about "no idea," and I've repeatedly called this misrepresentation to your attention. Please stop this.

Quote:
You have yet to quote Him emphatically stating He might not succeed.

I haven't made this assertion. I've asserted that He undertook a risk, and I've provided evidence to back this assertion.

Quote:
True, He possessed the ability to sin and fail, but He knew He would succeed. His ability to sin and fail was 100%, but the chances He would sin and fail was 0%.

If the chance He would sin and fail was 0%, He undertook no risk, and the whole thing was a sham.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128713
11/08/10 07:25 PM
11/08/10 07:25 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM

M:I don't know why the Godhead elected to create the FMAs they knew with absolute certainty would sin and die.

You've made clear you don't know why you believe what you do regarding the idea you have. I don't think your idea makes sense, and you apparently don't either. If at some point you see some sense for why you believe what you do, you could share that, and we could continue our discussion. Until then, I invite you to consider that possibility that your thinking might be wrong. You may be simply misinterpreting the passages which lead you to the conclusions you don't understand.

I think having a point of view that one understands in regards to the problem of evil is preferable, especially as this is a subject which weighs so heavily on the minds of so many. Many people want to know how an all-powerful, all-loving God could create such a world as we have, full of suffering and injustice. As SDA's, we have a wonderful answer to give, which involves the Great Controversy. Saying that God created beings He was certain would sin isn't an answer that satisfies.

Page 93 of 103 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!