HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 97 of 103 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128816
11/12/10 05:30 AM
11/12/10 05:30 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: In the same way, and for the same reasons, I know Jesus will return to take me home. He said, “I will come again”, just like He said, “I will rise again”. His word is sure and true. Is there a possibility He might not keep His promise? Yes.

T: What?! There is a possibility that Christ might not keep His promise? That's preposterous!

M:Good point. The idea that Jesus didn't mean what He said is crazy talk. However, apparently you pick and choose which promises you believe. For example, you believe there was a possibility Jesus wouldn't keep the 12 promises I posted earlier.

MM, your reasoning would contradict inspiration. We're clearly told that Christ could have sinned, that there was risk involved in His mission. This means the chance was > 0 that Christ would fail. There's no way to get around this.

Quote:
T: Why? My point has been that there was risk involved. I've never claimed that God or Jesus Christ expressed doubt about it. Why should I produce evidence for something I've neither claimed nor believe to be true?

M:Please post biblical quotes where the Father or the Son plainly state there is a risk Jesus might intentionally or unintentionally choose to sin or refuse to redeem mankind.

Why? My point has been that there was risk involved. I've never claimed that God or Jesus Christ stated these things. Why should I produce evidence for something I've neither claimed nor believe to be true?

Quote:
The risk and peril passages do not portray Ellen quoting the Father or the Son.

So what? Not every truth is establish by a direct quote from the Father or the Son.

Quote:
The difference between knowing He can sin and knowing He will not sin.

??? This is just another example of contradiction.

If there was risk involved, then Jesus could have sinned. When Waggoner argued similarly to how you did, EGW point blank corrected him, saying precisely what I said, using exactly the same argument I did.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128817
11/12/10 05:34 AM
11/12/10 05:34 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, please respond to post #128766. This was kland's post on EW 125. This vision really doesn't make sense if one assumes God, and Jesus, sees the future playing out like a re-run. If this were the case, we would have Jesus perplexed and distressed when He knew a short while later God would consent for Him to come. Also, if there were no risk involved, it's perplexing what God would have had any doubts about it.

We would have God thinking, "Jesus will come twice more to ask for permission. Then I'll give Him permission. But this is only the first time, so it's too early. Jesus must continue to act distressed."

And Jesus would be thinking, "This is only the first time. I have to have to more meetings with the Father. Must continue to act distressed."

Until the third meeting. Jesus would have been thinking, "Almost there! Continue to act distressed a little while longer. The Father is about to consent."

The whole thing would be absurd.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128820
11/12/10 02:55 PM
11/12/10 02:55 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: Kland
Is there a way to resolve this or should these pages be torn out of the book?

Please post where Ellen said, "Neither the Father nor the Son were certain Jesus would succeed." Assuming she implied it does not count, especially in light of the fact there are hundreds of places where she portrays the Father and the Son emphatically stating Jesus will succeed.

I thought I just did. Or do you mean did she use the exact phrase, "Neither the Father nor the Son were certain Jesus would succeed"? In which case, there are numerous search tools out there to help you determine if she did use that exact phrase.

Or could your response be admitting that it was indeed a charade? Or that we should tear those pages out.

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about knowing for certainty versus there being risk. Any you have yet to offer any way to resolve it.

Quote:
I agree the risk was real. Do you agree neither the Father nor the Son expressed doubt about it? If not, please post a statement where either one expressed doubt about it. The risk and peril quotes do not portray either one expressing doubt. In light of the 12 positive statements I posted, of which there are hundreds more, the onus is upon you to post at least one negative statement (one statement expressing doubt).

Did you want to know if the Father or Son expressed doubt or if Ellen White expressed there was doubt? Which one?

We have already shown where Ellen White said there was risk. Without substituting in some other word's definition in place of "risk", what does risk mean to you? What does "imply" mean to you? Saying three times, sorrow, pleading seems to me to mean something more than imply. And if you are emphasizing the qualifier, "assuming", it is a clear statement from her. No assuming needed. Without using the exact phrase, what would you expect to find?

And if you want to use exact phrases, you have failed to show where it's said God's Strange Act takes place any time other than when He leaves the sanctuary.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128825
11/12/10 05:27 PM
11/12/10 05:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Couldn't God establish His throne in righteousness without creating beings He was certain would sin?

Regarding this “mystery” the only inspired statements we have at our disposal are the ones I posted above. They simply say that for an eternity God knew which FMAs would sin and that He had a plan in place to deal with the great controversy. None of the inspired passages venture to explain why God chose to create the FMAs He knew would certainly sin.

Quote:
What I've said is that love entails risk, and God was aware of the possibility that His creatures (any of them) might reject His love. What's wrong with phrasing things this way?

There’s nothing wrong with me saying you think God did not, yea, could not, know with absolute certainty exactly which FMAs would surely sin. Your statement above implies it. I believe the exact opposite of what you believe, that is, I believe God knew precisely which FMAs would surely sin.

Quote:
Again, the quotes you omitted make it clear that God did not know with absolute certainty which FMAs would sin and die.

Which quotes? Are you referring to the “risk” quotes? Please repost the quotes you believe clearly portray God expressing He “did not know with absolute certainty which FMAs would sin and die.”

Quote:
M: Let's examine more closely what Ellen wrote about it: "But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness." 1. In "yet it" what does the "it" refer to? 2. In "for" what does "for" refer to?

T: Regarding your questions, as I said before, God knew of the possibility of man's sinning (as well as all the other "millions of worlds," they had just as much possibility to sin as man), and was willing to take the risk, knowing that even should this happen He could still establish His throne in righteousness. The point isn't that God was dependent upon sin in order to establish His throne in righteousness (your point?), but that in spite of sin, God would still establish His throne in righteousness.

"But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness."

1. In "yet it" what does the "it" refer to? Obviously “it” refers to “the defection of man, with all its consequences”. The content and context disallows the assumption she meant the “possibility of man’s sinning”.

2. In "for" what does "for" refer to? “For” answers why “the defection of man, with all its consequences” “did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose”. Again, the content and context disallows the assumption she meant “God was dependent upon sin in order to establish His throne in righteousness”.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128826
11/12/10 05:37 PM
11/12/10 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: Please post where Ellen said, "Neither the Father nor the Son were certain Jesus would succeed." Assuming she implied it does not count, especially in light of the fact there are hundreds of places where she portrays the Father and the Son emphatically stating Jesus will succeed.

K: I thought I just did. Or do you mean did she use the exact phrase, "Neither the Father nor the Son were certain Jesus would succeed"? In which case, there are numerous search tools out there to help you determine if she did use that exact phrase.

Where in the passage you posted did she say neither the Father nor the Son were certain Jesus would succeed? I realize you believe she implies it, but in light of the hundreds of places where she plainly says (as opposed to supposedly implies) both the Father and the Son knew Jesus would certainly succeed, the onus is upon you to post passages where she plainly says (as opposed to supposedly implies) neither the Father nor the Son were certain Jesus would succeed.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128827
11/12/10 06:12 PM
11/12/10 06:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: In the same way, and for the same reasons, I know Jesus will return to take me home. He said, “I will come again”, just like He said, “I will rise again”. His word is sure and true. Is there a possibility He might not keep His promise? Yes.

T: What?! There is a possibility that Christ might not keep His promise? That's preposterous!

M: Good point. The idea that Jesus didn't mean what He said is crazy talk. However, apparently you pick and choose which promises you believe. For example, you believe there was a possibility Jesus wouldn't keep the 12 promises I posted earlier.

T: MM, your reasoning would contradict inspiration. We're clearly told that Christ could have sinned, that there was risk involved in His mission. This means the chance was > 0 that Christ would fail. There's no way to get around this.

”Could” and “would” have different definitions. Jesus could fail and Jesus would fail mean two different things. Jesus could fail is true, but Jesus would fail is not true. By the way, you said it is preposterous to say Jesus might not keep His promise. And I agree. However, Jesus made His promises before He failed or succeeded on Calvary. So, why do you believe “I will come again” but not “I will rise again”? Isn’t the first promise dependent on the second? How can we believe the first promise if we cannot believe the second?

Quote:
T: Why? My point has been that there was risk involved. I've never claimed that God or Jesus Christ expressed doubt about it. Why should I produce evidence for something I've neither claimed nor believe to be true?

M: Please post biblical quotes where the Father or the Son plainly state there is a risk Jesus might intentionally or unintentionally choose to sin or refuse to redeem mankind.

T: Why? My point has been that there was risk involved. I've never claimed that God or Jesus Christ stated these things. Why should I produce evidence for something I've neither claimed nor believe to be true?

What’s not true? If neither the Father nor the Son plainly said it (as opposed to supposedly implied it) why do you believe it?

Quote:
M: The risk and peril passages do not portray Ellen quoting the Father or the Son.

T: So what? Not every truth is establish by a direct quote from the Father or the Son.

And yet I quoted Jesus Himself personally stating emphatically 12 different times “I will” succeed. Why are you unwilling to take Jesus at His word?

Quote:
M: The difference between knowing He can sin and knowing He will not sin.

T: ??? This is just another example of contradiction. If there was risk involved, then Jesus could have sinned. When Waggoner argued similarly to how you did, EGW point blank corrected him, saying precisely what I said, using exactly the same argument I did.

Please post the exchange between Ellen and Elliot.

PS - EW 125 does not portray the Father or the Son admitting they were uncertain Jesus would succeed. What they experienced in present time and space was real. The fact God also exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously did not add to or take away from what they experienced. God experiences time and space in the present. He cannot interact with FMAs in the past or future. He can only observe and know what has happened and what did happen.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128832
11/12/10 07:47 PM
11/12/10 07:47 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
MM, What is "risk"?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #128839
11/12/10 10:13 PM
11/12/10 10:13 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
T:Couldn't God establish His throne in righteousness without creating beings He was certain would sin?

M:Regarding this “mystery” the only inspired statements we have at our disposal are the ones I posted above.

No they aren't.

Quote:
They simply say that for an eternity God knew which FMAs would sin and that He had a plan in place to deal with the great controversy. None of the inspired passages venture to explain why God chose to create the FMAs He knew would certainly sin.

They don't even say what you're claiming, let alone give a reason for something they don't say. But this is besides the point, as far as my question is concerned.

Forget about the statement, and think for yourself please. What sense would it make for God to create creatures He was certain would sin? It doesn't make any sense, does it? You interpret a text in a certain way, and won't give it up, because that's what you think the text means. This doesn't seem like a good approach to me. It's certainly not one inspiration teaches us to take. Instead we should use common sense and reason, comparing inspired texts with other inspired texts, and believe something that makes sense. God doesn't want us to believe things that have no reason for being so.

If we can't explain why we believe something to be the case, alarm bells should be sounding: We might not have something right here.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128840
11/12/10 10:55 PM
11/12/10 10:55 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: MM, your reasoning would contradict inspiration. We're clearly told that Christ could have sinned, that there was risk involved in His mission. This means the chance was > 0 that Christ would fail. There's no way to get around this.

M:”Could” and “would” have different definitions. Jesus could fail and Jesus would fail mean two different things. Jesus could fail is true, but Jesus would fail is not true.

No one said anything about "Jesus would fail." What was said was that Jesus might fail, that is, there was a >0 change that He might fail.

Quote:
By the way, you said it is preposterous to say Jesus might not keep His promise. And I agree.

Why then did you say there was a risk He might not keep His promise that He will come? This is something which has no risk attached to it.

Quote:
However, Jesus made His promises before He failed or succeeded on Calvary. So, why do you believe “I will come again” but not “I will rise again”? Isn’t the first promise dependent on the second? How can we believe the first promise if we cannot believe the second?

Clearly if Jesus wasn't resurrected, He couldn't come again. EGW tells us if Christ had sinned, the rock in front of His tomb would never have been removed. Before He succeeded in His earthly mission, there was risk He might not come again. You're asserting there was no risk where inspiration says there was, and asserting that there is risk where inspiration does not say there is.

Quote:
T: Why? My point has been that there was risk involved. I've never claimed that God or Jesus Christ stated these things. Why should I produce evidence for something I've neither claimed nor believe to be true?

M:What’s not true? If neither the Father nor the Son plainly said it (as opposed to supposedly implied it) why do you believe it?

Through a prophet they revealed there was risk involved to Christ's mission, so I believe it.

Quote:
M: The risk and peril passages do not portray Ellen quoting the Father or the Son.

T: So what? Not every truth is establish by a direct quote from the Father or the Son.

M:And yet I quoted Jesus Himself personally stating emphatically 12 different times “I will” succeed. Why are you unwilling to take Jesus at His word?

Inspiration tells us there was risk involved. We should just ignore this fact? Jesus Christ expressed confidence He would succeed, but He was aware of the risk involved. Or do you think Jesus Christ thought there was no risk to what He was doing?

Quote:
T: ??? This is just another example of contradiction. If there was risk involved, then Jesus could have sinned. When Waggoner argued similarly to how you did, EGW point blank corrected him, saying precisely what I said, using exactly the same argument I did.

M:Please post the exchange between Ellen and Elliot.

Sorry, this would take too much time to try to find. Basically Waggoner was arguing that because Christ had perfect faith, He couldn't fail. Ellen White corrected Him, and Waggoner made the correction in the Jan. Signs of the Times, which later became "Christ Our Righteousness," later changed (so as not to conflict with the book A. G. Daniels wrote by the same name) to "Christ And His Righteousness."

Quote:
PS - EW 125 does not portray the Father or the Son admitting they were uncertain Jesus would succeed.

It portrays them not being certain what the future was, or the whole event doesn't make sense. If there was no risk involved, why the distress?

Quote:
What they experienced in present time and space was real. The fact God also exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously did not add to or take away from what they experienced. God experiences time and space in the present. He cannot interact with FMAs in the past or future. He can only observe and know what has happened and what did happen.

This doesn't address the problem. The problem is that your view regarding the future (and that would include Christ, in EW 125, as this is before His incarnation) doesn't jibe with the event. If God was eternally certain what Christ was about to do, and likewise Christ, the whole meeting would be a sham. None of what was related in EW 125 would make sense.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128850
11/13/10 04:44 AM
11/13/10 04:44 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What I've said is that love entails risk, and God was aware of the possibility that His creatures (any of them) might reject His love. What's wrong with phrasing things this way?

There’s nothing wrong with me saying you think God did not, yea, could not, know with absolute certainty exactly which FMAs would surely sin. Your statement above implies it. I believe the exact opposite of what you believe, that is, I believe God knew precisely which FMAs would surely sin.

Quote:
Again, the quotes you omitted make it clear that God did not know with absolute certainty which FMAs would sin and die.

Which quotes? Are you referring to the “risk” quotes? Please repost the quotes you believe clearly portray God expressing He “did not know with absolute certainty which FMAs would sin and die.”

Quote:
M: Let's examine more closely what Ellen wrote about it: "But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness." 1. In "yet it" what does the "it" refer to? 2. In "for" what does "for" refer to?

T: Regarding your questions, as I said before, God knew of the possibility of man's sinning (as well as all the other "millions of worlds," they had just as much possibility to sin as man), and was willing to take the risk, knowing that even should this happen He could still establish His throne in righteousness. The point isn't that God was dependent upon sin in order to establish His throne in righteousness (your point?), but that in spite of sin, God would still establish His throne in righteousness.

"But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness."

1. In "yet it" what does the "it" refer to? Obviously “it” refers to “the defection of man, with all its consequences”. The content and context disallows the assumption she meant the “possibility of man’s sinning”.

2. In "for" what does "for" refer to? “For” answers why “the defection of man, with all its consequences” “did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose”. Again, the content and context disallows the assumption she meant “God was dependent upon sin in order to establish His throne in righteousness”.

Page 97 of 103 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!