HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Nadi, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 103 of 103 1 2 101 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #129132
11/24/10 04:35 AM
11/24/10 04:35 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
M:We make decisions in the present - not in the future. Unlike God, who experiences time in the past, present, and future simultaneously, we experience time in the present only.

There are at least hundreds of texts in Scripture, if not thousands, that inform us that God makes decisions and experiences time as we do, and none that depict God making decisions as you are suggesting. I've quoted the following many times, without your responding, that I recall:

Quote:
7At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it.

Just like a human being, God will change His mind when He gets new information to act on. There are many, many examples of God's doing this in Scripture.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #129133
11/24/10 04:37 AM
11/24/10 04:37 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Why do you say my view means the day and hour of Jesus' return is "set"?

Because under your view the time for Christ's coming is certain to occur on a specific date.

Quote:
Do you think I'm saying God "set" the time?

I'm not saying anything about this.

Quote:
In what sense do you think it means the time is "set"?

As stated above.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #129140
11/24/10 06:41 PM
11/24/10 06:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M:We make decisions in the present - not in the future. Unlike God, who experiences time in the past, present, and future simultaneously, we experience time in the present only.

There are at least hundreds of texts in Scripture, if not thousands, that inform us that God makes decisions and experiences time as we do, and none that depict God making decisions as you are suggesting. I've quoted the following many times, without your responding, that I recall:

Quote:
7At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it.

Just like a human being, God will change His mind when He gets new information to act on. There are many, many examples of God's doing this in Scripture.

It sounds like you think I disagree with you?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #129141
11/24/10 06:42 PM
11/24/10 06:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Why do you say my view means the day and hour of Jesus' return is "set"?

Because under your view the time for Christ's coming is certain to occur on a specific date.

Quote:
Do you think I'm saying God "set" the time?

I'm not saying anything about this.

Quote:
In what sense do you think it means the time is "set"?

As stated above.

Do you think Jesus will certainly return on a specific date?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #129143
11/24/10 07:07 PM
11/24/10 07:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
M:Again, His experience in the past and the future has zero affect on our experience in the present for the simple reason we do not exist in the past or the future.

T: This is something new you are asserting. I've haven't been responding to this, as this isn't what you've been saying.

M: It appears you are beginning to grasp what I’ve been trying to say all along. What do you hear me saying?

As I stated, you haven't said this before. What you've said before is that God's experience of time has no impact on ours.

You said, "This is something new you are asserting." Please explain what you think is "new".

Here's what you said before:

Quote:
What you've said before is that God's experience of time has no impact on ours.

I underlined it. Here's what you just said recently that's new:

Quote:
His experience in the past and the future has zero affect on our experience in the present for the simple reason we do not exist in the past or the future.

The underlined part is different. (At least, I don't recall seeing it before).

Regarding much of the rest, God did not directly create you or I or Hitler. God created Adam. We were procreated. God created a sinless being with free will. The rest of us were born into a fallen race. This *is* a very different situation.

Regarding Jesus' not saying He wouldn't succeed, I've never claimed that He didn't. I said there was risk involved in His coming. EW 125 makes it very clear what was going on. There was a meeting, Jesus was distressed, and on the third time He was relieved. Why? Because God made a decision that Christ could come, a decision which the angel related to EGW was a "struggle."

Under your view, none of this makes any sense.

Your reasoning is convoluted here to. It reminds me of the reasoning people use to disregard the Sabbath. Where does the Jesus say we should keep the Sabbath after His death they ask? Your argument is the same as theirs. It's a specious argument.

Quote:
Lacking a plain "thus saith the Lord" your view lacks merit.

My view is that:

1.Christ took a risk in coming to save us.
2.Heaven was imperiled for our redemption.

Here's a "thus saith the Lord" to support this:

Quote:
Remember that Christ risked all. For our redemption, heaven itself was imperiled.(COL 196)

You have not even a semblance of an explanation for this. If your view were correct, that would mean that God was eternally certain from all eternity, to be redundantly clear, that heaven was not and never would be in any danger whatsoever. So how could God reveal through a prophet that it was imperiled?

Quote:
According to you, every time Jesus stated emphatically that He "will" succeed, every time He promised He "will" surely succeed, He wasn't telling them the truth.

Christ did succeed. So He was telling them the truth.

Quote:
According to you, the truth is Jesus did not know He would certainly succeed, that He knew there was a chance He would fail.

Well, this is obvious, given that Christ took a risk in coming here, and that all heaven was imperiled for our redemption, right? I mean, given that Christ could have failed, He must have known that, right?

Tom, I don't appreciate the way you glossed over the majority of my comments and questions. Please go back and address them carefully. Thank you.

By the way, did you mean to say COL 196 counts as a "thus saith the Lord"? Ellen wrote:

Quote:
A "Thus saith the Lord" is not to be set aside for a "Thus saith the church" or a "Thus saith the state." {GW 389.2}

Every doctrine must be brought to the Bible. Every perplexing question must be settled by a "thus saith the Lord." {RH, February 25, 1890 par. 8}

In public labor do not make prominent, and quote that which Sister White has written, as authority to sustain your positions. To do this will not increase faith in the testimonies. Bring your evidences, clear and plain, from the Word of God. A "Thus saith the Lord" is the strongest testimony you can possibly present to the people. Let none be educated to look to Sister White, but to the mighty God, who gives instruction to Sister White.--Letter 11, 1894. {3SM 29.3}

Lay Sister White right to one side: lay her to one side. Don't you never quote my words again as long as you live, until you can obey the Bible. When you take the Bible and make that your food, and your meat, and your drink, and make that the elements of your character, when you can do that you will know better how to receive some counsel from God. But here is the Word, the precious Word, exalted before you today. And don't you give a rap any more what "Sister White said"-- "Sister White said this," and "Sister White said that," and "Sister White said the other thing." But say, "Thus saith the Lord God of Israel," and then you do just what the Lord God of Israel does, and what he says. {SpM 167.2}

You may want to reconsider quoting COL 196 as a "thus saith the Lord".

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #129151
11/24/10 10:03 PM
11/24/10 10:03 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, I don't appreciate the way you glossed over the majority of my comments and questions. Please go back and address them carefully. Thank you.

Here's an excerpt from the post:

Quote:
M:His experience in the past and the future has zero affect on our experience in the present for the simple reason we do not exist in the past or the future.

The underlined part is different. (At least, I don't recall seeing it before).

Regarding much of the rest, God did not directly create you or I or Hitler. God created Adam. We were procreated. God created a sinless being with free will. The rest of us were born into a fallen race. This *is* a very different situation.

Regarding Jesus' not saying He wouldn't succeed, I've never claimed that He didn't. I said there was risk involved in His coming. EW 125 makes it very clear what was going on. There was a meeting, Jesus was distressed, and on the third time He was relieved. Why? Because God made a decision that Christ could come, a decision which the angel related to EGW was a "struggle."

Under your view, none of this makes any sense.

Your reasoning is convoluted here to. It reminds me of the reasoning people use to disregard the Sabbath. Where does the Jesus say we should keep the Sabbath after His death they ask? Your argument is the same as theirs. It's a specious argument.

I'm not seeing why you would think this glossed over.

I'm very patient answering your questions, far and away more so than anyone else who converses with you.

I don't think you realize just how often you repeat yourselves. It's a bit disheartening when you ask a question, and I spend perhaps an hour to respond to it, writing many paragraphs, and have you come back with "I have no idea what you think" or some claim that I haven't responded to your question! I think you should give this some consideration.

Now when you're not repeating something that I've answered in detail before, I do answer your questions, each and every one, whether there's 50 or 100 or whatever.

If you don't like an answer, you could try asking the question in another way.

Also, your questions often strike me as coming from left field. If you could provide some sort of context to why you're asking what you're asking, that would also be helpful.

Regarding the "Thus saith the Lord," I was just using it to refer to something inspired.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #129152
11/24/10 10:05 PM
11/24/10 10:05 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It sounds like you think I disagree with you?

Yes, of course. You had just written contrary to what I posted. You had stated that God doesn't make decisions as is laid out in Jer. 18.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #129153
11/24/10 10:06 PM
11/24/10 10:06 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
M:Do you think Jesus will certainly return on a specific date?

This isn't what I said. I spoke of Jesus being certain to return on a specific date. No, I don't think this is the case. I think the date of His return can be hastened or delayed (and, indeed, has been delayed).

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #129162
11/25/10 02:36 AM
11/25/10 02:36 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #132872
04/23/11 09:41 PM
04/23/11 09:41 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I did a brief review of the most viewed topics on the forum and this one is at or near the top - about 139,000 views. It strikes me that notwithstanding some of the unprofitable debate here, it is an important topic in heaven's eyes. God has anticipated these kinds of discussions. Two of the most important visions in scripture, one in Daniel 12 and the other in Revelation 10 contain a picture of Christ, in Daniel described as Michael and in Revelation 10 as that mighty Angel. In both cases Christ raises his hand to heaven and declares under a most solemn oath that the mystery of God, Christ in you the hope of glory, will be complete by the end of certain periods. By taking this rare step, swearing by heaven under oath, Christ appears to be directly addressing the question about whether these prophecies are conditional.

Quote:
And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven, And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets. Rev 10:5-7
Quote:
Then I Daniel looked, and, behold, there stood other two, the one on this side of the bank of the river, and the other on that side of the bank of the river. And one said to the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, How long shall it be to the end of these wonders? And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished. Daniel 12:5-7.

Page 103 of 103 1 2 101 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!