HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 105 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #129788
12/22/10 08:15 PM
12/22/10 08:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #129780, I responded on the other thread. Why are you posting these twice?

Originally Posted By: MM
Tom, you still haven't explained why the OT Jesus commanded His chosen people to kill sinners, and why He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature and evil men and evil angels to kill sinners.

Yes I have, many times, over dozens (hundreds?) of pages. Please stop writing this. If there's something you don't understand, or wish to discuss further, you may quote it, and ask your question or make your comments, but please don't say I haven't explained something when I have.

Quote:

Yes, I agree with you, the NT Jesus never did these things while here in the flesh. But therein lies the problem with your suggestion that we study the NT Jesus in order to understand why the OT Jesus commanded His chosen people to kill sinners, and why He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature and evil men and evil angels to kill sinners.

I would say, "But therein lies the solution to the problem." You see a disconnect between the NT Jesus and the OT God. The disconnect goes away when we are convinced that all that man needs to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son during His earthly mission.

Quote:

You firmly believe Jesus is non-violent and would never do the violent things the OT records Him doing. What then? Do you assume someone or something else did them? If so, who or what did them? For example, who or what caused the fire to come down from heaven in response to Elijah's prayer and burned alive the two bands of fifty?

I assume the same principles were at work in the OT that Jesus Christ revealed and spoke of, principles which are clearly articulated in the GC 35-37 passage.

We have a great deal of detail in regards to what happened in the destruction of Jerusalem, a whole chapter, over many pages. Scripture records this as an event proceeding from God, that God would "murder" the guilty ones. But the GC passage explains that God is presented as doing that which He permits. He's not to be looked as the executioner of the sentence against the sinner, but the sinner himself sets into motion a course of action by His resistance to the Holy Spirit, which God permits to occur.

Do you disagree with the idea that Jesus Christ is non-violent?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #129793
12/23/10 01:49 AM
12/23/10 01:49 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: Scripture says that God sent lying spirits to Ahab, but you understand that God doesn't lie, so you reject the interpretation of this text that would have God lying.

M: It doesn't say God lied. It says God sent a lying spirit who lied to Ahab.

T: That's what I said.

You said, ". . . you reject the interpretation of this text that would have God lying." I've never heard of such an interpretation, so how can I reject it? I believe Jesus sent the lying spirit to lie to Ahab.

Quote:
M: The same thing is true of 2 Thes 2:10-12. God will send them a strong delusion (which I believe will be Satan personating the return of Jesus).

T: If God literally sent a lying spirit to Ahab, He would be lying, because He would be lying through an agent in this case. But knowing that God does not lie, one can easily infer that God permitted the lying spirit to go to Ahab and lie. Similarly for the strong delusion, what actually happens is a permissive action on God's part.

And what, the lying spirit conveniently came up with the very lie needed for things to work out according to God's will?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #129794
12/23/10 02:03 AM
12/23/10 02:03 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: You firmly believe Jesus is non-violent and would never do the violent things the OT records Him doing. What then? Do you assume someone or something else did them? If so, who or what did them? For example, who or what caused the fire to come down from heaven in response to Elijah's prayer and burned alive the two bands of fifty?

T: I assume the same principles were at work in the OT that Jesus Christ revealed and spoke of, principles which are clearly articulated in the GC 35-37 passage. We have a great deal of detail in regards to what happened in the destruction of Jerusalem, a whole chapter, over many pages. Scripture records this as an event proceeding from God, that God would "murder" the guilty ones. But the GC passage explains that God is presented as doing that which He permits. He's not to be looked as the executioner of the sentence against the sinner, but the sinner himself sets into motion a course of action by His resistance to the Holy Spirit, which God permits to occur. Do you disagree with the idea that Jesus Christ is non-violent?

Yes, I believe Jesus is non-violent. The "act of punishment" is non-violent. For example, on those rare occasions when I had to spank my children, I was not being violent, although technically I hit them, which some people claim is violent.

Now, when did Jesus demonstrate the GC 35-37 principle while He was here in the flesh? That is, when did He withdraw His protection and permit evil men to slaughter men, women, and children?

And, when did Jesus demonstrate, while here in the flesh, commanding holy people to kill unholy people? If He didn't do it in the NT, how can we understand why He did it in the OT?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #129802
12/23/10 07:13 PM
12/23/10 07:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
M:Yes, I believe Jesus is non-violent. The "act of punishment" is non-violent. For example, on those rare occasions when I had to spank my children, I was not being violent, although technically I hit them, which some people claim is violent.

Setting people on fire in not "punishment." Surely you know that. You wouldn't set a child of yours on fire to punish them.

Also, setting someone on fire is violent behavior. Simply using a different word, like "punishment" as opposed to "violence," doesn't change the actions undertaken, and setting people on fire is a violent act.

Quote:
Now, when did Jesus demonstrate the GC 35-37 principle while He was here in the flesh? That is, when did He withdraw His protection and permit evil men to slaughter men, women, and children?

That's not the principle (your second sentence). Here's a place where the principles of GC 35-37 was demonstrated:

Quote:
52And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him.

53And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem.

54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village. (Luke 9)

When not desired, rather than "punish" people by setting them on fire, Jesus departed.

Also, the destruction of Jerusalem is a good example. Remember how Jesus said He longed to protect them, as a hen protects its chickens, but they weren't willing.

Quote:
And, when did Jesus demonstrate, while here in the flesh, commanding holy people to kill unholy people? If He didn't do it in the NT, how can we understand why He did it in the OT?

We should think of things in terms of principle. What's the principle involved here? It's the same principle Jesus spoke of in His comments regarding divorce.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #129805
12/23/10 08:34 PM
12/23/10 08:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, what does divorce and executing capital punishment and killing enemy soldiers during war have in common?

If burning people alive is an "act of violence" who or what, then, do you think caused fire to descend from heaven and burned alive the two bands of fifty in response to Elijah's prayer?

And, how does Jesus departing result in His enemies being burned alive?

Who or what remains to burn them alive?

Who or what decides how His enemies die when Jesus departs?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #129806
12/23/10 08:36 PM
12/23/10 08:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: Scripture says that God sent lying spirits to Ahab, but you understand that God doesn't lie, so you reject the interpretation of this text that would have God lying.

M: It doesn't say God lied. It says God sent a lying spirit who lied to Ahab.

T: That's what I said.

You said, ". . . you reject the interpretation of this text that would have God lying." I've never heard of such an interpretation, so how can I reject it? I believe Jesus sent the lying spirit to lie to Ahab.

Quote:
M: The same thing is true of 2 Thes 2:10-12. God will send them a strong delusion (which I believe will be Satan personating the return of Jesus).

T: If God literally sent a lying spirit to Ahab, He would be lying, because He would be lying through an agent in this case. But knowing that God does not lie, one can easily infer that God permitted the lying spirit to go to Ahab and lie. Similarly for the strong delusion, what actually happens is a permissive action on God's part.

And what, the lying spirit conveniently came up with the very lie needed for things to work out according to God's will?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #129860
12/27/10 04:58 PM
12/27/10 04:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, what does divorce and executing capital punishment and killing enemy soldiers during war have in common?

Neither express God's ideal will, but are things God allows because of the hardness of the hearts of those with whom He is dealing.

Quote:
If burning people alive is an "act of violence" who or what, then, do you think caused fire to descend from heaven and burned alive the two bands of fifty in response to Elijah's prayer?

Why would this matter?

Quote:
And, how does Jesus departing result in His enemies being burned alive?

It allows the fire to occur.

Quote:
Who or what remains to burn them alive?

Something or someone. Why does this matter? The only thing that matters is whether it's God or not, isn't that true? That is, either God directly takes action to cause people to be burnt alive, and that's His intention, or He doesn't.

Quote:
Who or what decides how His enemies die when Jesus departs?

From GC 35-37, we read that the Spirit of God, when persistently resisted and rejected, eventually departs, leaving those who have rejected Him to suffer the result of their choice. As to those this happens, that depends on the situation.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #129865
12/27/10 06:07 PM
12/27/10 06:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

You mean sent as in ordered? Or sent as in permitted? If the former, then this is tantamount to God's lying, as anything an agent does for you, as an expression of your will, is as if you yourself performed the act.

Quote:

I guess this means "And what if, the lying spirit," etc. This question is based on a false premise. God isn't dependent upon lies in order to accomplish His will.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #129884
12/28/10 06:09 PM
12/28/10 06:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, what does divorce and executing capital punishment and killing enemy soldiers during war have in common?

T: Neither express God's ideal will, but are things God allows because of the hardness of the hearts of those with whom He is dealing.

Where in the Bible or the SOP does it say Jesus "allowed" capital punishment and killing enemy soldiers during war? The fact is Jesus "commanded" both.

Quote:
M: If burning people alive is an "act of violence" who or what, then, do you think caused fire to descend from heaven and burned alive the two bands of fifty in response to Elijah's prayer?

T: Why would this matter?

I believe it was Jesus who caused fire to burn alive the two bands of fifty. I realize you believe I am dead wrong. What is not clear, though, is who or what you believe caused fire to burn alive the two bands of fifty fire to burn alive the two bands of fifty. I cannot remember you ever actually answering this question.

Quote:
M: And, how does Jesus departing result in His enemies being burned alive?

T: It allows the fire to occur.

This makes it sound like fire is self-acting. The truth is, however, fire cannot do anything without Jesus. Ellen wrote, "Many teach that matter possesses vital power. They hold that certain properties are imparted to matter, and it is then left to act through its own inherent power; and that the operations of nature are carried on in harmony with fixed laws, that God himself cannot interfere with. This is false science, and is sustained by nothing in the word of God. Nature is not self-acting; she is the servant of her Creator. God does not annul his laws nor work contrary to them; but he is continually using them as his instruments. Nature testifies of an intelligence, a presence, an active agency, that works in, and through, and above her laws. There is in nature the continual working of the Father and the Son. Said Christ, "My Father worketh hitherto, and I work." {HL 290.1}

Quote:
M: Who or what remains to burn them alive?

T: Something or someone. Why does this matter? The only thing that matters is whether it's God or not, isn't that true? That is, either God directly takes action to cause people to be burnt alive, and that's His intention, or He doesn't.

See comments and questions above.

Quote:
M: Who or what decides how His enemies die when Jesus departs?

T: From GC 35-37, we read that the Spirit of God, when persistently resisted and rejected, eventually departs, leaving those who have rejected Him to suffer the result of their choice. As to those this happens, that depends on the situation.

Why did fire kill the two bands of fifty when Jesus withdrew and not water or lightning or wind or something else? Was it arbitrary? Or, was there some kind of natural cause and effect reason? That is, did their specific sin cause fire to burn them alive? And, again, what was the origin of this fire? Where was it residing until Jesus withdrew?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #129885
12/28/10 06:29 PM
12/28/10 06:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

You mean sent as in ordered? Or sent as in permitted? If the former, then this is tantamount to God's lying, as anything an agent does for you, as an expression of your will, is as if you yourself performed the act.

Quote:

I guess this means "And what if, the lying spirit," etc. This question is based on a false premise. God isn't dependent upon lies in order to accomplish His will.

Here's the story in the Bible:

2 Chronicles
18:18 Again he said, Therefore hear the word of the LORD; I saw the LORD sitting upon his throne, and all the host of heaven standing on his right hand and [on] his left.
18:19 And the LORD said, Who shall entice Ahab king of Israel, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one spake saying after this manner, and another saying after that manner.
18:20 Then there came out a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will entice him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith?
18:21 And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And [the LORD] said, Thou shalt entice [him], and thou shalt also prevail: go out, and do [even] so.
18:22 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.

Page 7 of 105 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!