HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 40 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 39 40
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: kland] #131426
03/04/11 06:07 PM
03/04/11 06:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
What is an atheist? What is a person who knows there is a God, but hates Him? Hates Him for torturing people who disagree with Him.

What is the difference between the following groups named in the following passages:

1. Atheist
2. Infidel
3. Idolater
4. Blasphemer
5. Skeptic
6. Unbeliever
7. Universalist

Quote:
Had the Sabbath been universally kept, man's thoughts and affections would have been led to the Creator as the object of reverence and worship, and there would never have been an idolater, an atheist, or an infidel. {GC 437.2} This wide-spread dogma [eternal torment in hell] has turned thousands to Universalism, infidelity, and atheism. {4bSG 104.2} The world is deluged with books which sow the seeds of skepticism, infidelity, and atheism, and to a larger or less degree you have been learning your lessons from these books, and they are magical books. They put God out of the mind, and separate the soul from the true Shepherd. {YI, November 16, 1893 par. 6}

Atheism and infidelity prevail in every land. Bold blasphemers stand forth in the earth, the house of God's own building, and deny the existence of the Creator, and challenge the God of heaven to strike them dead on the spot if their position is wrong. Behold the societies of infidels everywhere forming to devise means to spread their hellish poisons! See the papists plotting how to suppress the word of God, and to cover up the truth with the rubbish of error! {RH, May 4, 1886 par. 4}

You also asked, "If one knows and sees Jesus personally as a representation of God, could they believe God would torture people, thereby justifying their view of His non-existence?" Tell a lie often enough it eventually becomes the truth.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #131503
03/07/11 06:58 PM
03/07/11 06:58 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
The passage doesn't tell what the difference is, but by listing them separate, indicates there is a difference.

Saying that someone doesn't know if there is a God or not is different than someone who knows there is a God and hates Him.

If one believes a lie about Jesus' representation of God, would you say they know and see Jesus personally?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: kland] #131525
03/08/11 03:13 AM
03/08/11 03:13 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
There are people who have sincerely weighed the evidence and have chosen to "deny the existence of the Creator, and challenge the God of heaven to strike them dead on the spot if their position is wrong." When such people work alongside the best of believers to help feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy what is the origin and source of their good works? Ellen wrote, "A selfish heart may perform generous actions." {SC 58.1}

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #131546
03/08/11 02:25 PM
03/08/11 02:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
If a person knows God exists, but chooses not to give Him thanks (vs. 21), even though they know of Him (because He Himself has shown them), then they would be without excuse (vs. 20).

Are you suggesting there is no such thing as an atheist? How do you define an atheist? "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." Ellen wrote, "Another class Satan leads on still further, even to deny the existence of God. They can see no consistency in the character of the God of the Bible, if He will torment with horrible tortures a portion of the human family to all eternity. Therefore they deny the Bible and its Author, and regard death as an eternal sleep. {BEcho, August 10, 1896 par. 8}

Do you think someone would have known and seen Jesus personally and concluded that God does not exist?

Yes.

M: In other words, what is the origin and source of the good works performed by the believers, and what is the origin and source of the same good works (i.e. feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy) performed by the unbelievers?

T: Although I can't comment on the specific hypothetical you are suggesting, as I've repeatedly questioned why you think such people exist, I can comment in general that I believe that we all have sinful natures, and because of this, we are dependent upon a power outside of ourselves to do good. I believe I've stated this several times previously, and also that this is more or less a direct paraphrase from the SOP.

You wrote, "we all have sinful natures, and because of this, we are dependent upon a power outside of ourselves to do good." Does this include unbelievers? That is, is the origin and source of their good works (i.e. feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy) identical to that of believers performing the exact same good works?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #131553
03/08/11 04:56 PM
03/08/11 04:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:If a person knows God exists, but chooses not to give Him thanks (vs. 21), even though they know of Him (because He Himself has shown them), then they would be without excuse (vs. 20).

MM:Are you suggesting there is no such thing as an atheist? How do you define an atheist? "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." Ellen wrote, "Another class Satan leads on still further, even to deny the existence of God. They can see no consistency in the character of the God of the Bible, if He will torment with horrible tortures a portion of the human family to all eternity. Therefore they deny the Bible and its Author, and regard death as an eternal sleep. {BEcho, August 10, 1896 par. 8}

I've asked you several times about Romans 1, but don't recall getting a response. The text says:

1.All are without excuse.
2.They are without excuse because that which may be know of God has been manifest to them.
3.Because God Himself manifest it to them.
4.They should give thanks to God.

Now if God Himself has manifest Himself to all, so they are without excuse, I don't see how this corresponds with the concept of not knowing that God exists. Would you explain this please?

Quote:
T:Do you think someone would have known and seen Jesus personally and concluded that God does not exist?

M:Yes.

Why? The reverse seems to be the case to me. That is, seeing Jesus Christ would be the most positive evidence of God's existence, especially with the Holy Spirit's influence.

Quote:

M: In other words, what is the origin and source of the good works performed by the believers, and what is the origin and source of the same good works (i.e. feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy) performed by the unbelievers?

T: Although I can't comment on the specific hypothetical you are suggesting, as I've repeatedly questioned why you think such people exist, I can comment in general that I believe that we all have sinful natures, and because of this, we are dependent upon a power outside of ourselves to do good. I believe I've stated this several times previously, and also that this is more or less a direct paraphrase from the SOP.

M:You wrote, "we all have sinful natures, and because of this, we are dependent upon a power outside of ourselves to do good." Does this include unbelievers?

Yes. It is not only believers that have sinful natures. Unbelievers also have sinful natures. Our natures do not become sinful when we become a believer.

Quote:
That is, is the origin and source of their good works (i.e. feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy) identical to that of believers performing the exact same good works?

If any person does anything good, then they have been influence by God. As Jesus said, "there is no one good but God alone." Whenever good is done, God is involved. Also whenever evil is done, Satan is involved (not necessarily personally, but he is the author of sin and all its results).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #131555
03/08/11 06:04 PM
03/08/11 06:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: If a person knows God exists, but chooses not to give Him thanks (vs. 21), even though they know of Him (because He Himself has shown them), then they would be without excuse (vs. 20).

M: Are you suggesting there is no such thing as an atheist? How do you define an atheist? "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." Ellen wrote, "Another class Satan leads on still further, even to deny the existence of God. They can see no consistency in the character of the God of the Bible, if He will torment with horrible tortures a portion of the human family to all eternity. Therefore they deny the Bible and its Author, and regard death as an eternal sleep. {BEcho, August 10, 1896 par. 8}

T: I've asked you several times about Romans 1, but don't recall getting a response. The text says:

1.All are without excuse.
2.They are without excuse because that which may be know of God has been manifest to them.
3.Because God Himself manifest it to them.
4.They should give thanks to God.

Now if God Himself has manifest Himself to all, so they are without excuse, I don't see how this corresponds with the concept of not knowing that God exists. Would you explain this please?

Yes, everyone has at one point believed in God. They are without excuse. However, sometime thereafter they talked themselves out of it. Now they "deny the existence of the Creator, and challenge the God of heaven to strike them dead on the spot if their position is wrong." {RH, May 4, 1886 par. 4}

Quote:
T: Do you think someone would have known and seen Jesus personally and concluded that God does not exist?

M: Yes.

T: Why? The reverse seems to be the case to me. That is, seeing Jesus Christ would be the most positive evidence of God's existence, especially with the Holy Spirit's influence.

The day Jesus died on the cross only the thief on the cross and one Roman soldier believed Jesus was the Son of God.

Quote:

M: You wrote, "we all have sinful natures, and because of this, we are dependent upon a power outside of ourselves to do good." Does this include unbelievers?

T: Yes. It is not only believers that have sinful natures. Unbelievers also have sinful natures. Our natures do not become sinful when we become a believer.

I assume you meant to say, "Our natures do not become sinless when we become a believer." I agree.

Quote:
M: That is, is the origin and source of their good works (i.e. feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy) identical to that of believers performing the exact same good works?

T: If any person does anything good, then they have been influence by God. As Jesus said, "there is no one good but God alone." Whenever good is done, God is involved. Also whenever evil is done, Satan is involved (not necessarily personally, but he is the author of sin and all its results).

I don't understand how your answer addresses my question. Are you saying the origin and source of the good works named above is identical for believers and unbelievers? By unbelievers I have in mind people who "deny the existence of the Creator, and challenge the God of heaven to strike them dead on the spot if their position is wrong."

Even Satan helps people in order to further his plans. He does some good in order to do more evil. The end justifies the means. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
Satan works through the elements also to garner his harvest of unprepared souls. He has studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature, and he uses all his power to control the elements as far as God allows. When he was suffered to afflict Job, how quickly flocks and herds, servants, houses, children, were swept away, one trouble succeeding another as in a moment. It is God that shields His creatures and hedges them in from the power of the destroyer. But the Christian world have shown contempt for the law of Jehovah; and the Lord will do just what He has declared that He would--He will withdraw His blessings from the earth and remove His protecting care from those who are rebelling against His law and teaching and forcing others to do the same. Satan has control of all whom God does not especially guard. He will favor and prosper some in order to further his own designs, and he will bring trouble upon others and lead men to believe that it is God who is afflicting them. {GC 589.2}

While appearing to the children of men as a great physician who can heal all their maladies, he will bring disease and disaster, until populous cities are reduced to ruin and desolation. Even now he is at work. In accidents and calamities by sea and by land, in great conflagrations, in fierce tornadoes and terrific hailstorms, in tempests, floods, cyclones, tidal waves, and earthquakes, in every place and in a thousand forms, Satan is exercising his power. He sweeps away the ripening harvest, and famine and distress follow. He imparts to the air a deadly taint, and thousands perish by the pestilence. These visitations are to become more and more frequent and disastrous. Destruction will be upon both man and beast. "The earth mourneth and fadeth away," "the haughty people . . . do languish. The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant." Isaiah 24:4, 5. {GC 589.3}

Ellen also wrote, "A selfish heart may perform generous actions." {SC 58.1}

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #131557
03/08/11 06:19 PM
03/08/11 06:19 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Quote:
T: Do you think someone would have known and seen Jesus personally and concluded that God does not exist?

M: Yes.

T: Why? The reverse seems to be the case to me. That is, seeing Jesus Christ would be the most positive evidence of God's existence, especially with the Holy Spirit's influence.

The day Jesus died on the cross only the thief on the cross and one Roman soldier believed Jesus was the Son of God.
Saying that someone doesn't know if there is a God or not is different than someone who knows there is a God and hates Him.

And saying they believe Jesus was the Son of God is not the same as saying He exists. Do you suggest the others thought He didn't exist?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: kland] #131589
03/09/11 03:28 PM
03/09/11 03:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, rejecting the messianic claims of Jesus and denying the existence of God is entirely possible then and now.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #131604
03/09/11 06:48 PM
03/09/11 06:48 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Ah, I misread it. You are separating Jesus and God. Some atheists say, show me God and I'll believe. Which they know can't be done, but it wouldn't make any difference anyway. They also say Jesus was a good man, but ignore the idea of "good" being a fraud as He claiming to be God.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: kland] #131617
03/09/11 11:13 PM
03/09/11 11:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Yes, everyone has at one point believed in God. They are without excuse. However, sometime thereafter they talked themselves out of it. Now they "deny the existence of the Creator, and challenge the God of heaven to strike them dead on the spot if their position is wrong." {RH, May 4, 1886 par. 4}

This doesn't work. Here's Romans 1:

Quote:
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful;

If what you were saying were true, then they wouldn't be without excuse. Their not being without excuse consists of:

1.Knowing what can be known of God because God has manifested it to them.
2.In spite of this, not glorifying God, nor being thankful to Him.

This doesn't allow for the idea that "at one point" they knew about God.

Also, just from a logical standpoint, it doesn't work. If you know what can be known of God because He has manifested it to you, that's not the sort of thing you can forget. You continue to know that. But you can still deny it. And this agrees with the SOP quote. They deny something that they know, which is why they are without excuse.

Quote:

But this doesn't address your claim. You're claim had to do with God's existence. Specifically, your claim is that one could know Jesus Christ personally, and yet conclude that God did not exist. Where is there evidence of this? Also, why would you think such a thing would be the case? Jesus Christ was God in the flesh. What better evidence of the existence of God could there be than this? (i.e., actually having God standing in front of you, with the Holy Spirit revealing to you the import of what you're seeing).

Quote:
M: You wrote, "we all have sinful natures, and because of this, we are dependent upon a power outside of ourselves to do good." Does this include unbelievers?

T: Yes. It is not only believers that have sinful natures. Unbelievers also have sinful natures. Our natures do not become sinful when we become a believer.

M:I assume you meant to say, "Our natures do not become sinless when we become a believer." I agree.

No, I meant sinful. You asked if having sinful natures includes unbelievers. The only way your question could be answered "yes" would be if unbelievers have sinless natures, but become sinful when they believe.

Quote:
M: That is, is the origin and source of their good works (i.e. feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy) identical to that of believers performing the exact same good works?

T: If any person does anything good, then they have been influence by God. As Jesus said, "there is no one good but God alone." Whenever good is done, God is involved. Also whenever evil is done, Satan is involved (not necessarily personally, but he is the author of sin and all its results).

M:I don't understand how your answer addresses my question.

You asked if the origin and source of good deeds is the same for unbelievers and believers. I answered that if anyone does anything good, then God is involved. That answers the question you asked.

Quote:
Are you saying the origin and source of the good works named above is identical for believers and unbelievers? By unbelievers I have in mind people who "deny the existence of the Creator, and challenge the God of heaven to strike them dead on the spot if their position is wrong."

Even Satan helps people in order to further his plans. He does some good in order to do more evil. The end justifies the means. Ellen wrote:

Satan doesn't do any good. He doesn't actually heal anyone, but stops doing some of the evil he was doing to them. That's not the same as doing good. The quote you cited speaks of all sorts of evil things Satan does.

Quote:
Ellen also wrote, "A selfish heart may perform generous actions." {SC 58.1}

Actions which appear to be generous to others, is the intent. A selfish heart brings forth selfish actions. James explains this:

Quote:
11Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?

12Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh. (James 3)

EGW was not saying that an evil person can do good things without the involvement of God, which seems to be your interpretation of the phrase that a selfish heart can produce generous actions.

If you read what she said in context, it agrees with what I've been saying:

Quote:
The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life and frequently a blameless conversation. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions, acknowledge the present truth, and express humility and affection in an outward manner, yet the motives may be deceptive and impure; the actions that flow from such a heart may be destitute of the savor of life and the fruits of true holiness, being destitute of the principles of pure love. Love should be cherished and cultivated, for its influence is divine.--2T 136 (1868). {1MCP 208.2}

Notice, "affection in an outward manner." The whole paragraph is speaking of appearance. A person, without being converted, may *appear* to be a certain way. But this is an appearance, not reality, because of "being destitute of the principles of pure love." Also "the actions that flow from such a heart may be destitute of the savor of life." Such actions are not good, unless you conceive of good as being in harmony with being "destitute of the savor of life."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 22 of 40 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 39 40

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!