HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131866
03/16/11 12:08 AM
03/16/11 12:08 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
You're arguing the example, not the question.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: JAK] #131868
03/16/11 03:21 AM
03/16/11 03:21 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
As I see it, it is only by ascertaining the concrete truth from pertinent examples that this particular question can ever be substantively addressed and answered/resolved. Otherwise it would merely be stating one’s (private) opinions about EGW’s SOP gift.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131873
03/16/11 04:00 PM
03/16/11 04:00 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
PS - I wouldn't be surprised to discover after we arrive in heaven with Jesus that the 24 elders consist of Enoch, Moses, Elijah, and 21 others who were raised with Jesus.
Who do you see as the Sons of God in Job?

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: NJK Project] #131880
03/16/11 05:54 PM
03/16/11 05:54 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: NJK Project
As I see it, it is only by ascertaining the concrete truth from pertinent examples that this particular question can ever be substantively addressed and answered/resolved. Otherwise it would merely be stating one’s (private) opinions about EGW’s SOP gift.

It is ALL "(private) opinion."

To restate the subject of this thread:
Subject: Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation

Regarding prophecy, may I suggest "England will join the (Civil) war, which was clearly not correct.

Regarding doctine, may I suggest the "Shut Door" theology, (which she supported) but was clearly wrong.

Regarding historical interpretation, may I suggest her belief that Paul wrote Hebrews, to which theory NO Biblical scholars (including SDA) any longer adhere.

This is not to be taken as "disbelief" in EGW, or whether or not she is a "true prophet." But rather it addresses the question of whether or not her writings are the final authority for SDA interpretation.

Last edited by JAK; 03/16/11 06:08 PM.
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Frank Peacham] #131883
03/16/11 06:07 PM
03/16/11 06:07 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: Frank Peacham
EGW on sports:

Ellen flatly said that “Satan...invented sports and games,” in which spectators lose their souls.

I found this statement ONCE, in RH, September 10, 1901 par. 5, and it was not worded in a way to imply the same understanding as I get from reading your post. Interestingly enough it followed this statement, condeming photographs:

As I visited the homes of our people and our schools, I see that all the available space on tables, what-nots, and mantelpieces is filled up with photographs. On the right hand and on the left are seen the pictures of human faces. God desires this order of things to be changed. Were Christ on earth, He would say, "Take these things hence." I have been instructed that these pictures are as so many idols, taking up the time and thought which should be sacredly devoted to God. {RH, September 10, 1901 par. 2}
These photographs cost money. Is it consistent for us, knowing the work that is to be done at this time, to spend God's money in producing pictures of our own faces and the faces of our friends? Should not every dollar that we can spare be used in the upbuilding of the cause of God? These pictures take money that should be sacredly devoted to God's service; and they divert the mind from the truths of God's word. {RH, September 10, 1901 par. 3}
This making and exchanging photographs is a species of idolatry. Satan is doing all he can to eclipse heaven from our view. Let us not help him by making picture-idols. We need to reach a higher standard than these human faces suggest. The Lord says, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Those who claim to believe in Christ need to realize that they are to reflect His image. It is His likeness that is to be kept before the mind. The words that are spoken are to be freighted with heavenly inspiration. {RH, September 10, 1901 par. 4}

How many of us ban photography with the same vigor we object to "competitive sport"?

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: JAK] #131884
03/16/11 06:27 PM
03/16/11 06:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: JAK
Originally Posted By: NJK Project

It is ALL "(private) opinion." To restate the subject of this thread: Subject: Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation

Regarding prophecy, may I suggest "England will join the (Civil) war, which was clearly not correct.

Here's what she was shown:

Quote:
I was shown that if the object of this war had been to exterminate slavery, then, if desired, England would have helped the North. But England fully understands the existing feelings in the Government, and that the war is not to do away slavery, but merely to preserve the Union; and it is not for her interest to have it preserved. Our Government has been very proud and independent. The people of this nation have exalted themselves to heaven, and have looked down upon monarchical governments, and triumphed in their boasted liberty, while the institution of slavery, that was a thousand times worse than the tyranny exercised by monarchial governments, was suffered to exist and was cherished. In this land of light a system is cherished which allows one portion of the human family to enslave another portion, degrading millions of human beings to the level of the brute creation. The equal of this sin is not to be found in heathen lands. {1T 258.2}

Said the angel: "Hear, O heavens, the cry of the oppressed, and reward the oppressors double according to their deeds." This nation will yet be humbled into the dust. England is studying whether it is best to take advantage of the present weak condition of our nation, and venture to make war upon her. She is weighing the matter, and trying to sound other nations. She fears, if she should commence war abroad, that she would be weak at home, and that other nations would take advantage of her weakness. Other nations are making quiet yet active preparations for war, and are hoping that England will make war with our nation, for then they would improve the opportunity to be revenged on her for the advantage she has taken of them in the past and the injustice done them. A portion of the queen's subjects are waiting a favorable opportunity to break their yoke; but if England thinks it will pay, she will not hesitate a moment to improve her opportunities to exercise her power and humble our nation. When England does declare war, all nations will have an interest of their own to serve, and there will be general war, general confusion. England is acquainted with the diversity of feeling among those who are seeking to quell the rebellion. She well knows the perplexed condition of our Government; she has looked with astonishment at the prosecution of this war--the slow, inefficient moves, the inactivity of our armies, and the ruinous expenses of our nation. The weakness of our Government is fully open before other nations, and they now conclude that it is because it was not a monarchial government, and they admire their own government, and look down, some with pity, others with contempt, upon our nation, which they have regarded as the most powerful upon the globe. Had our nation remained united it would have had strength, but divided it must fall. {1T 259.1}

Why do you think she was shown "England will join the (Civil) war"?

Regarding doctine, may I suggest the "Shut Door" theology, (which she supported) but was clearly wrong.

Please post a quote where she said "I was shown" or "I saw", etc, as it relates to the Shut Door.

Regarding historical interpretation, may I suggest her belief that Paul wrote Hebrews, to which theory NO Biblical scholars (including SDA) any longer adhere.

Please post a quote where she said "I was shown" or "I saw", etc, as it relates to who wrote the book of Hebrews.

This is not to be taken as "disbelief" in EGW, or whether or not she is a "true prophet." But rather it addresses the question of whether or not her writings are the final authority for SDA interpretation.

Whenever she prefaced something with "I was shown", or "I saw", or something to this effect, we can be absolutely certain it represents the word of God. Otherwise, she did not possess the gift of the spirit of prophecy.

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: kland] #131885
03/16/11 06:37 PM
03/16/11 06:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
PS - I wouldn't be surprised to discover after we arrive in heaven with Jesus that the 24 elders consist of Enoch, Moses, Elijah, and 21 others who were raised with Jesus.
Who do you see as the Sons of God in Job?

I agree with Ellen concerning who the "sons of God" in Job are. She wrote:

Quote:
Before the creation of man, angels were in existence; for when the foundations of the earth were laid, "the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy." Job 38:7. After the fall of man, angels were sent to guard the tree of life, and this before a human being had died. Angels are in nature superior to men, for the psalmist says that man was made "a little lower than the angels." Psalm 8:5. {GC 511.2}

The Sabbath was hallowed at the creation. As ordained for man, it had its origin when "the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy." Job 38:7. Peace brooded over the world; for earth was in harmony with heaven. "God saw everything that He had made, and, behold, it was very good;" and He rested in the joy of His completed work. Genesis 1:31. {DA 281.1}

The "sons of God" in Job = holy angels. Do you agree?

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: JAK] #131897
03/17/11 06:45 AM
03/17/11 06:45 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
It is ALL "(private) opinion."

I thought that my statement would be glibly understood. What I meant in including (private) vs. mere opinion is, as you yourself have done, you have cited examples as to wy you think the SOP is to be subject to the Bible as a final arbritrator. So saying things merely along the lines of, e.g., ‘I do not think so’ or the converse, to this discussion question would be stating a private opinion, i.e., one that is not based/supported by concrete examples.

To succinctly address your cited examples:

-Civil War: As shown by Mountain Man, the statements about England were conditional, as in dependent on what the circumstances could/should have been.

-Shut Door: As I mention in this post on the Shut Door, (see also in this MSDAOL thread) EGW and other SDA Pioneers were not wrong that there had been a shut door, but that it had been shut to everyone. As it was inferentially subsequently shown to her, it was only “shut” to those who had had ample opportunity to understand the testing truths at issue then. As I further understand it, involving the Biblical view of ”God and the Future”, this was all because God could have, and wanted to, effectuate the Second Coming around that time, had dependent conditions on the earth surrounding these Adventists had been fully/adequately met. I also, out of this view, understand that God did not directly tell these Adventist & EGW that they had been wrong, not only because they actually potentially were not, but also because that telling them these details would have adversely changed their understanding of God and the Future, a passable “known future” view which God wanted to maintain so as to build up/strengthen/sustain their faith and thus soon effectuate the Second Coming, as it indeed could be done by God if all was finished then.

-Paul’s Authorship of Hebrew:
To succinctly summarize my study on this topic of the authorship of Hebrew. I believe, as Church fathers did, that the Epistle was originally written in Hebrew by Paul for his fellow Hebrew countrymen, even Jewish Believers probably under the inspiration from God that Jerusalem and the Temple would soon, literally pass away. The epistle was therefore circulated amongs Jewish people and was only later, probably after 70 A.D., translated into Greek by someone other than Paul (resembling the Hebrew OT vs. the LXX, especially in style). That is also why it does not have the traditional greetings and even ending of Paul Letters, since these would not have been pertinent to these Gentile Believers. So only the body was translated and circulated. This would also show how strictly it was transmitted as a Pauline salutation was not added. It was probably only orally stated that the Letter was from Paul. (That translating person also deliberately remained in the shadows so as to not discredit the epistle, preferring it to only be said that it was Paul’s work.) Really, only someone with the authority of Paul could make such theological statements. Perhaps Paul was even put to death before he could take on this task of the Greek Translation himself.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131898
03/17/11 06:46 AM
03/17/11 06:46 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
The "sons of God" in Job = holy angels. Do you agree?

Quite succinctly summarized here, the expression “son(s)(/daughter(s)) of God in the Bible involves more than angels, but any created being that comes to life their lives according to the will of God “their Father”. Many Biblical examples show this (e.g., Matt 5:9; Luke 20:36; Rom 8:14,19; Gal 3:26) It thus also could, and does, include, thus righteous, men and women on earth. So it is not limited to angels, but to any created being.

Re: Are Ellen White's writings the final authority on prophetic, doctrinal, or historical interpretation [Re: Mountain Man] #131900
03/17/11 06:59 AM
03/17/11 06:59 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man - Post #131422
You wrote, "such actual 'contradictions' are rare". Please cite examples of her actually contradicting the Bible.

I just noticed this question of yours Mountain Man.
-These contradictions are indeed rare and my example of the chronological location of Ascension vision is one of them.
-I can also cite the ones mentioned by Alden Thompson in the book Inspiration p. 290-295, which she however, later corrected herself.
-Her implied understanding that, e.g., oysters were not unclean food until post 1896 is another applicable example.
-Most of what could be cited as contradictions, are actually merely incomplete understandings.

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!