HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,206 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 40 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 39 40
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #132249
04/01/11 01:29 AM
04/01/11 01:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Tom and I do not agree on Rom 1:18-21. He believes everyone is convinced, every minute of every day, that not only does God exist but that they also know they are without excuse for refusing to give Him glory and thanks.

T: Where did I say this? I've just been saying what Paul said. Over and over again I've been doing this. I don't understand why you don't just quote what Paul said in reference to what I said. Why change it? I think what Paul said in the Romans 1 passage is fine and clear. I don't see any need to add to it, or take away from it.

M:Do you think Paul's comment should be interpreted to mean God continually makes Himself known to everyone at all times so that no one can excuse refusing to honor and glorify Him? Or, do you agree with me?

I was going to say no to both questions, but the answer to the first one may be yes. This isn't what Paul said, but I could see how it could be put that way.

Paul said the following:

Quote:
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful...

This says, "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen." Did Paul mean for this to be understood as "continual"? In looking at this, I don't see how else to take it. I don't see how anyone could read this and think that Paul mean there were times when the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are not clearly seen, nor being understood by the things that are made.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #132250
04/01/11 02:11 AM
04/01/11 02:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:Did they agree with you when you made it clear to them that they in reality believe God does indeed exist and that they know they are without excuse for refusing to give God thanks and glory?

T: You asked me how I would witness to an atheist. Did you read what I wrote?

M:Your comment wasn’t clear to me. I’m asking for clarification. Clearly you believe they know God is real and that they are obligated to honor and glorify Him. You also believe they are lying when they claim to believe God is not real. Do you point this out to them? If not, why not?

It doesn't look like you read what I wrote. It doesn't seem to me that I should have to repeat it. Please read what I wrote, and ask me questions about that.

Quote:
Also, what do you tell them when they pointedly, emphatically tell you God does not exist, that He is just as unreal as the tooth fairy? You didn’t answer this question the last time I asked it.

That's never happened to me.

Quote:
M:How does God make Himself known to your atheist friends? Please be specific. Thank you.

T: Romans 1 explains this. I haven't said anything other than what Paul said in our discussion.

Paul specifically described people “who hold the truth in unrighteousness . . . knowing the judgment of God . . . did not like to retain God in their knowledge . . . and changed the truth of God into a lie.” Do you believe Paul is here describing the atheists you witnessed to at college?

If you look at the context of the first portion of Romans, it's clear that Paul has all men in mind. It's also clear from the immediate context of his statement.

Quote:
That is, did they “hold the truth in unrighteousness”? Were they aware of the “judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death”?

Do you understand this to be what Paul is saying? That is, why do you think they would have this understanding? I don't think this is what Paul is saying.

Quote:
If so, when and how did they obtain such knowledge? Did they, as Paul said, conclude God is real after carefully examining “the things that are made”?

Paul said nothing about carefully examining the things that are made. Again, I'm not understanding why you're adding to and taking away from what Paul said. Paul said, "the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead." I believe this is true, and applies to all.

Quote:
T: Why not? This sounds like putting the cart before the horse. I believe is a person is converted first, and then the Holy Spirit brings things to that person's attention that need to be worked on. You're saying a person has to perfectly obey all the last six commandments before they can be converted. How is this possible?

M:Please bear in mind the difference between experiencing rebirth and converting to obeying everything Jesus commanded.

What does "converting to obeying everything Jesus commanded" mean?

Quote:
We are conceived and born with an instinctive knowledge of what is morally right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments.

Where is this said?

Quote:
No one is ignorant of the fact it is terribly wrong to dishonor their parents, murder, fornicate, steal, lie, or ignorant of the fact coveting causes unrest and unhappiness.

Many people are ignorant of this. I don't see on what basis you think this can be asserted. To pick just one thing, many are ignorant of the fact that fornicating is wrong. They think if they are in a committed relationship with someone they love, there's nothing wrong with having sex with the one they love.

Quote:
People who experience rebirth are empowered to live in harmony with what everyone knows naturally is right.

I really disagree with this, with the part about what everyone knows naturally is right. *I* didn't know naturally everything that was right. There were things I learned after I was converted, when taught by the Holy Spirit. If I had already known naturally, the Holy Spirit wouldn't have had to teach me.

Quote:
Nevertheless, there are specific truths we do not know instinctively, truths we must discover through Bible study and prayer. The first four commandments, for example, are not known naturally.

Why do you think this? Romans 1 contradicts this. It's clearly dealing with subject matter treated by the first four commandments. It says that all are without excuse for not being thankful to God nor glorifying Him. This isn't covered in the last six commandments.

Quote:
You have made it abundantly clear you believe anyone who performs “good works” are able to do so through a combination of human and divine powers.

I didn't say this, but I agree with what you wrote here.

Quote:
If what you believe is true, it implies God works through unholy, unsanctified human faculties to perform “good works.”

No it doesn't. It doesn't at all. Why do you think it does?

Quote:
I believe this is impossible. I believe people must first experience rebirth, which, among many things, results in sanctified human faculties, which, when combined with divine power, enables them to perform sanctified good works which honor and glorify God.

I haven't said anything about this. I just said what Ellen White wrote, that if a person does good works, then God was involved. You took exception to this, stating that a selfish heart can perform generous actions. So you look to be contradicting yourself, since you are using the phrase that a selfish heart can perform generous actions to argue against the idea that a person cannot perform good works apart from God's help. You stated that people could do so. Now you're saying that a person who is not born again can't do so. So I don't know which to go with.

Quote:
“For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.“ Again, I believe it is impossible for Jesus to work through unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate human faculties “to will and to do of his good pleasure.” You seem to be saying, Yes, He can and does.

I haven't said anything about this. Why do you have this idea?

Quote:
“Many a man of cultured intellect and pleasant manners, who would not stoop to what is commonly regarded as an immoral act, is but a polished instrument in the hands of Satan.” You seem to be saying Ellen intended for us to take her comment (in the quote you’re referring to) to mean unconverted, unbelievers (like people in the quote above) perform good works by combining sinful human faculties and divine power. Is this what you believe?

I don't understand why you're thinking this. I haven't said anything like this. I've just said what she said, that a person cannot do good works without a power outside of himself. I don't understand how you're getting from what I said to what you say I seem to be saying. Please explain your reasoning.

Quote:
T: You quoted a snippet from Ellen White which says that a selfish heart can perform generous actions. You argued from this that my assertion that a person cannot perform good works apart from the help of God is incorrect. I disagreed with this, as, for one thing, it would contradict the other quote which says that one cannot do good works apart from a power outside of oneself. I also pointed out that the context made clear this was dealing with how one's works appear from the outside. These are what my comments were addressing. I also said if a person did good works because they were responding to the Holy Spirit, there shouldn't be a difference in the source or origin of the good works, comparing one person responding to the Holy Spirit to another.

Do you believe Jesus works through unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate human faculties “to will and to do of his good pleasure”?

Do you think that's what I'm saying? If so, why? I don't see anything in what I wrote which would suggest this.

Quote:
T: Regarding the difference between apparent good works and actual good works, the practical difference is that in one case good works exist, and in the other case they don't.

M:Do you believe feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy qualify as “good works” only when performed by people whose human faculties have been renewed and sanctified and through whom Jesus works “to will and to do of his good pleasure”? Or, do you believe the same things performed by people whose human faculties are unholy, unsanctified, and unregenerate also qualify as “good works”?

I believe that no person can do good works apart from God's help. This is what I've been asserting. If anybody does good works, it's because God helped that person to do so.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #132260
04/01/11 04:32 PM
04/01/11 04:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Tom and I do not agree on Rom 1:18-21. He believes everyone is convinced, every minute of every day, that not only does God exist but that they also know they are without excuse for refusing to give Him glory and thanks.

T: Where did I say this? I've just been saying what Paul said. Over and over again I've been doing this. I don't understand why you don't just quote what Paul said in reference to what I said. Why change it? I think what Paul said in the Romans 1 passage is fine and clear. I don't see any need to add to it, or take away from it.

M:Do you think Paul's comment should be interpreted to mean God continually makes Himself known to everyone at all times so that no one can excuse refusing to honor and glorify Him? Or, do you agree with me?

T: I was going to say no to both questions, but the answer to the first one may be yes. This isn't what Paul said, but I could see how it could be put that way. Paul said the following:

Quote:
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful...

This says, "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen." Did Paul mean for this to be understood as "continual"? In looking at this, I don't see how else to take it. I don't see how anyone could read this and think that Paul mean there were times when the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are not clearly seen, nor being understood by the things that are made.

Do you think unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate sinners are capable of reading "the creation of the world" aright and conclude, based solely on their observations of nature, that God is real and then end up "holding the truth in unrighteousness" and "knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death"? Ellen wrote:

Quote:
The deepest students of science are constrained to recognize in nature the working of infinite power. But to man's unaided reason, nature's teaching cannot but be contradictory and disappointing. Only in the light of revelation can it be read aright. "Through faith we understand." Hebrews 11:3. {Ed 134.1}

He who has gained a knowledge of God and His word through personal experience is prepared to engage in the study of natural science. Of Christ it is written, "In Him was life; and the life was the light of men." John 1:4. Before the entrance of sin, Adam and Eve in Eden were surrounded with a clear and beautiful light, the light of God. This light illuminated everything which they approached. There was nothing to obscure their perception of the character or the works of God. But when they yielded to the tempter, the light departed from them. In losing the garments of holiness, they lost the light that had illuminated nature. No longer could they read it aright. They could not discern the character of God in His works. So today man cannot of himself read aright the teaching of nature. Unless guided by divine wisdom, he exalts nature and the laws of nature above nature's God. This is why mere human ideas in regard to science so often contradict the teaching of God's word. But for those who receive the light of the life of Christ, nature is again illuminated. In the light shining from the cross, we can rightly interpret nature's teaching. {MH 461.6}

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132261
04/01/11 04:52 PM
04/01/11 04:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: You have made it abundantly clear you believe anyone who performs “good works” are able to do so through a combination of human and divine powers.

T: I didn't say this, but I agree with what you wrote here.

M: If what you believe is true, it implies God works through unholy, unsanctified human faculties to perform “good works.”

T: No it doesn't. It doesn't at all. Why do you think it does?

M: Do you believe Jesus works through unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate human faculties “to will and to do of his good pleasure”?

T: Do you think that's what I'm saying? If so, why? I don't see anything in what I wrote which would suggest this.

You said, yes, anyone who performs “good works” are able to do so through a combination of human and divine powers. Then you reject the idea that God works through unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate human faculties “to will and to do of his good pleasure." Please explain how you can believe the one and reject the other?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132262
04/01/11 04:54 PM
04/01/11 04:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - I don't feel impressed to continue the dialog regarding the other points you made above. However, if you feel strongly about certain points please let me know which ones and I'll address them.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132275
04/01/11 10:19 PM
04/01/11 10:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, we started discussing a couple of things, and you haven't addressed the points I made, and now you're starting down another path, for some reason I don't know why. My preference would be to come to some sort of understanding regarding what we were discussing before, and then I'd be happy to discuss any new things you wish to discuss.

I see that we have had two main disagreements. One has to do with Romans 1, the other with good works.

Regarding the good works on, I stated, earlier in the thread, that one can only do good works with the help of God. You disagreed with this, citing EGW's quote that a selfish heart can perform generous actions.

Afterward you cited a quote from EGW stating the same thing I had been saying, that one can only do good works by means of power outside of oneself. In you most recent emails you've been expressing the idea that an unsanctified person cannot perform good works. Previously you were saying such a person *could* do good works, and could to them without God's help.

I find this confusing. I don't know what you think, nor what you're taking issue with. So this is one thing I'd like resolved.

Regarding Romans 1, I think our disagreement is easier to understand. I believe Paul, in saying that all are without excuse, because what can be known of God is known by the invisible things He has created, and because He has shown it to them, so that they should glorify him and give him thanks, is a general statement. You have the idea that it means that everyone, at some point in the life, has had this experience. But neither the grammar nor the immediate context nor the larger context supports their idea. There's no hint that Paul had such a limitation in mind when he wrote what he wrote.

I have no idea why you think such a limitation should be imposed. I've asked you repeatedly to explain why you think there should be such a limitation, but you have given any reason. I'd like you to explain your thinking here.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #132291
04/02/11 04:37 PM
04/02/11 04:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM, we started discussing a couple of things, and you haven't addressed the points I made, and now you're starting down another path, for some reason I don't know why. My preference would be to come to some sort of understanding regarding what we were discussing before, and then I'd be happy to discuss any new things you wish to discuss

I see that we have had two main disagreements. One has to do with Romans 1, the other with good works. Regarding the good works on, I stated, earlier in the thread, that one can only do good works with the help of God. You disagreed with this, citing EGW's quote that a selfish heart can perform generous actions.

Afterward you cited a quote from EGW stating the same thing I had been saying, that one can only do good works by means of power outside of oneself. In you most recent emails you've been expressing the idea that an unsanctified person cannot perform good works. Previously you were saying such a person *could* do good works, and could to them without God's help.

I find this confusing. I don't know what you think, nor what you're taking issue with. So this is one thing I'd like resolved.

Here's what I posted earlier on this thread about this point:

Quote:
Group 1: people who “deny the existence of the Creator, and challenge the God of heaven to strike them dead on the spot if their position is wrong.”

Group 2: people who “are begotten unto a new life by the Holy Spirit, have new motives, new tastes, new tendencies, have become partakers of the divine nature, and in all their habits and practices they will give evidence of their relationship to Christ.”

The difference between the two groups is that group 2 are born-again, Spirit-filled believers who give God the honor and glory whereas group 1 are people who do not believe God exists and give no one and nothing credit for their good works. I believe the difference between the good works performed by group 1 and group 2 has to do with the origin and source of their good works and whether or not they give God the honor and glory.

I believe the origin and source of the good works performed by group 2 is a born-again heart (origin) and the Holy Spirit (source). On the other hand, the origin and source of the same good works performed by group 1 is self (origin and source). “A selfish heart may perform generous actions.” {SC 58} Technically speaking, from God’s point of view, all such “righteousnesses are as filthy rags.”

But practically speaking, from the view point of the poor and needy, the food, clothing, and shelter provided at the hands of atheists satisfies their physical needs the same as when provided by the best of believers. I realize you disagree with me, but please accept this as my answer. It’s what I believe.

The real question here is - Why do we consider it good works when the best of believers help feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy but consider it "filthy rags" when atheists, who have committed the unpardonable sin, perform the exact same good works?

You said, yes, anyone who performs “good works” are able to do so through a combination of human and divine powers. But you reject the idea that God works through unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate human faculties “to will and to do of his good pleasure." I don’t understand how you can agree with the one and not the other.

The reason I say group 1 perform good works is because it doesn’t make sense to me to say feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy is evil. Nevertheless, I believe the reason God says their “righteousnesses are as filthy rags” is because the origin (unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate human faculties) and source (self) of their good works is sinful and because they do not give God the honor and glory. Also, it is important to note God referred to their works as "righteousnesses" and not evil.

Regarding Romans 1, I think our disagreement is easier to understand. I believe Paul, in saying that all are without excuse, because what can be known of God is known by the invisible things He has created, and because He has shown it to them, so that they should glorify him and give him thanks, is a general statement. You have the idea that it means that everyone, at some point in the life, has had this experience. But neither the grammar nor the immediate context nor the larger context supports their idea. There's no hint that Paul had such a limitation in mind when he wrote what he wrote.

I have no idea why you think such a limitation should be imposed. I've asked you repeatedly to explain why you think there should be such a limitation, but you have given any reason. I'd like you to explain your thinking here.

You seem to think unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate sinners are capable of reading "the creation of the world" aright and conclude, based solely on their observations of nature, that God is real and then end up "holding the truth in unrighteousness" and "knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death.” However, Ellen wrote:

Quote:
The deepest students of science are constrained to recognize in nature the working of infinite power. But to man's unaided reason, nature's teaching cannot but be contradictory and disappointing. Only in the light of revelation can it be read aright. "Through faith we understand." Hebrews 11:3. {Ed 134.1}

He who has gained a knowledge of God and His word through personal experience is prepared to engage in the study of natural science. Of Christ it is written, "In Him was life; and the life was the light of men." John 1:4. Before the entrance of sin, Adam and Eve in Eden were surrounded with a clear and beautiful light, the light of God. This light illuminated everything which they approached. There was nothing to obscure their perception of the character or the works of God. But when they yielded to the tempter, the light departed from them. In losing the garments of holiness, they lost the light that had illuminated nature. No longer could they read it aright. They could not discern the character of God in His works. So today man cannot of himself read aright the teaching of nature. Unless guided by divine wisdom, he exalts nature and the laws of nature above nature's God. This is why mere human ideas in regard to science so often contradict the teaching of God's word. But for those who receive the light of the life of Christ, nature is again illuminated. In the light shining from the cross, we can rightly interpret nature's teaching. {MH 461.6}

I agree with Ellen. I believe you are misinterpreting what Paul said in Romans 1.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132322
04/03/11 09:30 PM
04/03/11 09:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
MM:You said, yes, anyone who performs “good works” are able to do so through a combination of human and divine powers.

This isn't what I actually said, although I don't disagree with this. What I actually said is that if anyone does good works, it is by the help of God.

Quote:
But you reject the idea that God works through unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate human faculties “to will and to do of his good pleasure."

I don't recall making any comment on this. Why do you think I have?

Quote:
I don’t understand how you can agree with the one and not the other.

Again, I don't believe I've made any comment along the lines you're suggesting.

Quote:
The reason I say group 1 perform good works is because it doesn’t make sense to me to say feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy is evil. Nevertheless, I believe the reason God says their “righteousnesses are as filthy rags” is because the origin (unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate human faculties) and source (self) of their good works is sinful and because they do not give God the honor and glory. Also, it is important to note God referred to their works as "righteousnesses" and not evil.

You were asserting they were doing good works, contrary to what I was asserting. Then you cited an EGW quote agreeing with what I was asserting. This is what has been confusing to me.

So are you retracting what you said before? I don't know what's going on here.

What I said was that if anyone does good works, it is because God was helping them. You disagreed with this, and said they could do good works apart from God's help. Then you quoted a statement from the SOP saying that man cannot do good works apart from an outside power. So what are you saying now? Can a person do good works without the help of God?

Quote:
You seem to think unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate sinners are capable of reading "the creation of the world" aright and conclude, based solely on their observations of nature, that God is real and then end up "holding the truth in unrighteousness" and "knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death.”

I don't know why you think I think this. I don't recall making any comment regarding this.

Quote:
I agree with Ellen. I believe you are misinterpreting what Paul said in Romans 1.

I've just been repeating what Paul said. I haven't changed his words in any way. I haven't interpreted him. Again, just repeated his words.

Do you think Ellen White disagrees with Paul's words? Or do you think Paul's words mean something different than what they say?

I still don't understand why you think what Paul says means that a person, at some point in their life, believed that God existed. I've pointed out several times that the grammar does not agree with this.

I've also pointed out that the immediate context does not agree, nor does the more general context.

I've asked you to support your point of view. To date, you've made no attempt to do so. Please do. Please explain why you think that when Paul said:

Quote:

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful (Romans 1)

means

Quote:
19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them at some point in their life; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, sometimes, at least once in one's life, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21Because that, when they knew God, at some point in time, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful

Please respond to this question.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #132342
04/04/11 03:26 PM
04/04/11 03:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, does God work through unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate human faculties “to will and to do of his good pleasure"?

Are unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate sinners capable of reading "the creation of the world" aright, and, based solely on their observations of nature, arrive at the "truth", including believing God is real, and then end up "holding the truth in unrighteousness" and "knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death"?

You wrote, "I still don't understand why you think what Paul says means that a person, at some point in their life, believed that God existed. I've pointed out several times that the grammar does not agree with this."

Here's the context of Paul's comment:

Quote:
1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath showed [it] unto them.
1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.
1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Paul is talking about the following specific people:

1) the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth
2) to the Jew first, and also to the Greek
3) for therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith
4) the just shall live by faith
5) who hold the truth in unrighteousness
6) that which may be known of God is manifest in them
7) for God hath showed it unto them
8) for the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen
9) being understood by the things that are made
10) even his eternal power and Godhead
11) they are without excuse
12) they knew God
13) they glorified him not as God
14) neither were thankful
15) changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things
16) they did not like to retain God in their knowledge
17) who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator
18) who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them
19) wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness and unrighteousness

I hear you saying this describes everyone everywhere. I disagree.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #132350
04/04/11 06:37 PM
04/04/11 06:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:Tom, does God work through unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate human faculties “to will and to do of his good pleasure"?

I haven't said anything about this. I've been wanting to deal with the two issues I mentioned first. I said after that I'd be happy to come back to this question.

Quote:
Are unholy, unsanctified, unregenerate sinners capable of reading "the creation of the world" aright, and, based solely on their observations of nature, arrive at the "truth", including believing God is real, and then end up "holding the truth in unrighteousness" and "knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death"?

According to Romans 1, all are without excuse, because the things of God are known, His invisible power being displayed, etc., because God has shown them. I think the emphasis needs to be put on God here. God is known to all because of what God has done. It has to be that way. Nobody, whether sanctified or not, can know of God by their own actions. It has to be God revealing Himself to others.

Quote:
You wrote, "I still don't understand why you think what Paul says means that a person, at some point in their life, believed that God existed. I've pointed out several times that the grammar does not agree with this."

Here's the context of Paul's comment:

Paul is talking about the following specific people:

1) the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth
2) to the Jew first, and also to the Greek
3) for therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith
4) the just shall live by faith
5) who hold the truth in unrighteousness
6) that which may be known of God is manifest in them
7) for God hath showed it unto them
8) for the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen
9) being understood by the things that are made
10) even his eternal power and Godhead
11) they are without excuse
12) they knew God
13) they glorified him not as God
14) neither were thankful
15) changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things
16) they did not like to retain God in their knowledge
17) who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator
18) who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them
19) wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness and unrighteousness

I hear you saying this describes everyone everywhere. I disagree.

You still haven't addressed my question.

First I'll restate my position. Then I'll restate my question, again.

My position is that according to Romans 1, all are without excuse because what can be known of God is known by all, because of what it says in Romans 1. I won't repeat it, as it's right there.

My question is why you think Paul meant "at some point in their life" when he didn't say this, nor imply it. Well, your seeing an implication somewhere, you must be, to say what you're saying, but I don't see it. Why do you think Paul's thinking was "at some point in their life," as opposed to meaning in a general sense, as he wrote?

Please respond to the other issue as well. I'll repeat it for your convenience.

You were asserting they were doing good works, contrary to what I was asserting. Then you cited an EGW quote agreeing with what I was asserting. This is what has been confusing to me.

So are you retracting what you said before? I don't know what's going on here.

What I said was that if anyone does good works, it is because God was helping them. You disagreed with this, and said they could do good works apart from God's help. Then you quoted a statement from the SOP saying that man cannot do good works apart from an outside power. So what are you saying now? Can a person do good works without the help of God?

Page 30 of 40 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 39 40

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!