HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,598
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,200 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 93 of 105 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133508
05/16/11 11:51 PM
05/16/11 11:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: NJK
T:I believe the only reason God chooses not to have mercy on someone is that they do not desire it (I'm speaking in the true sense of the term, meaning that they desire mercy from a sense of having done wrong -- i.e. truly repentant --, but not merely that they don't want to suffer the consequences of what they did).

NJK:Of course a genuine repentance is key in this act of God. And God cannot grant something that is not genuinely requested. In the War of the Jews, those who wanted to surrender peacefully to the Romans did so probably out of a desire to prevent further destruction to what they considered God’s property. And that in itself was/would be relatively noble. I can only see that God’s hand and mercy was involved up to the utter destruction end phase, because the entire residents/occupants of Jerusalem then (ca. 2 million people) were to all suffer death in that war. (= Matt 22:7)

You're agreeing or disagreeing with what I said?

Quote:
NJK: Also in some case, He wanted to limit/control the extent of destruction. (That is also reversedly present in the final Hell Fire judgement). So He was there standing as the administrator and executioner of this sentence, as EGW also understood (see also her later comments in GC 614.2).

Tom: You mean just the one sentence taken out of context, right?

NJK: Are you referring to a “textual sentence” or a “judgement sentence” here? I am not sure by what you are implying here, especially as I don’t see the “executioner” sentence to be out of context, particularly spiritually.

Tom: I was referring to the sentence in GC 614.2 that you had in mind.

NJK:I am actually still confused. So explicitly state/quote the ‘sentence from GC 614.2 that you thought I had in mind.’

I think I'll defer to you her. What comments of hers did you have in mind? Or, if you don't think is important, just skip it.

Quote:
Tom: Focusing on this sentence:

Originally Posted By: NJK (edited)
So, like in the War of the Jews event, I see a gradual withdrawal of God’s mercy culminating in an utter ended of unmixed wrathful judgement for those who persist in rebellion until the end.

Tom: I agree with this. In the case of the destruction of Jerusalem, the unmixed wrathful judgment was caused by God's completely His withdrawal of protection against Satan.

NJK:As I understand your view, you see this withdrawal of mercy for the entire war period (namely 66-70 A.D.). I actually see this as not the case for this entire war judgement, but like in the 7 Last Plagues, only in the final part, i.e., after Titus became indignant (sometime in 70 A.D.) and proceed to both unmercifully kill the remaining Jews and also deliberately aim to destroy the city. Perhaps as you had said below, you agree with this two-part judgement view...

I hadn't really gotten into this aspect at all, but was only commenting more generally, that the Jews had caused God to remove His protection from them, which is what the judgment consisted of.

Quote:
NJK: As explained above, I see that there is mercy involved even within/during the execution of a judgement by God, right up to an utter end, where God allows the Devil to then fully have his way.

Tom: Ok, I wasn't understanding this. I agree with this. (More later)

NJK:...however I do not see how this reconciled with your sustainedly expressed view that God is not involved in a judgement at all but that things naturally and independently developed on their own.

I've not said this. God is involved in the judgment, certainly, as the judgment consists of God's removing His protection, which is something that God does. God removes His protection; He orders His angels to "release" (e.g., release the winds of strife); these are things that God does.

Quote:
Under such a view, God cannot be acting to influence Titus to restrain himself, nor have His own angels delve out first 6 plagues (Rev 16:1-16) and even initiated the final one (vs. 17, 18) which is then allowed to be executed by Satan (vs. 19-21/ GC 614.2-615.1)

I don't see why, under such a view, God could not have been acting to influence Titus to restrain himself. Indeed, I would imagine that God was doing so the whole time. Perhaps for awhile Titus responded to the Holy Spirit, and then stopped; I don't know.

Regarding the 7 last plagues, I see that what EGW wrote in 14 MR 3 applies, which I already quoted twice recently, so won't do so again.

Your point of view appears to be that God initiates judgment, by means of the holy angels, and then permits Satan to execute the final one? So they are pretty much working hand in hand here? Or I'm misunderstanding you here?

I don't things this way. I see that God is constantly acting contrary to Satan, protecting the wicked, as much as He can, from Satan's attacks. As God is caused to remove His protection, the attacks occur, all contrary to God's will.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133509
05/17/11 12:34 AM
05/17/11 12:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: NJK
T:These last paragraphs were well written in terms of the sentence structure. Much easier to understand, which is appreciated.

NJK:Sometimes, even in my “brainstorming responses, as my time only allows for, for this discussion, some things do come out clearer than others, not actually through any special effort on my part. As I have said, proofreading would have made other statements just as clear but I can’t afford that review process.

If I have to keep asking you what you mean half a dozen times, are you really saving any time over if you had just written your thoughts clearly the first time? Surely not, right?

Quote:
Tom: I wouldn't say that God intends judgment, but repentance. Judgment occurs only when people refuse to repent, and that judgment is a result of people refusing the protection which God offers them. The "no-more-mercy" stage is when people have made their final decision not to repent.

NJK:Though I get your well-meaning attempt here to effectively, “defend” God, I Biblically actually see that it is “judgement” that is still being prominently applicable in such “judgement” cases as it is a blameless part of God’s Character: = His Justice. So when God decides to enter into judgement with someone, though repentance may be, and usually is, a possible outcome in the judgement, indeed there always seems to be a last granted opportunity to repent (= Isa 1:18-20), it is judgement that is the prominent action. Using judgements to seek repentance would make God compel repentance through force.

I see that the judgment occurs when God is caused to remove His protection, which is not something that He intends, but is caused to do. Regarding your last sentence, that's an interesting point. If it were God's purpose to coerce repentance by means of judgment, I would agree with you. But the Bible says that it is God's goodness which leads us to repentance, Romans 2:3,4. So the way I could see this would work would be if when God removes His protection, it is seen what God had been doing (i.e., protecting), and this opening of the eyes to God's goodness (His protection) leads one to repentance.

Quote:
A key, significant phrase to keep in mind, used by the SOP in the description of the destruction of Jerusalem, is that God was *caused* to remove His protection. What happened was this:

1.God is protecting, showing mercy, urging repentance.
2.While the heart is not completely hardened, this continues.
3.There is simultaneous action going on:
a.God being caused to remove His protection.
b.God continuing to protect.

While the heart is not completely hardened, b>a. At a certain point, after so much resistance to the pleading of the Holy Spirit, a>b, and disaster occurs.

NJK:I Biblically see/understand that from the time when God allowed the Roman armies to approach and surround Jerusalem, indeed as He/Jesus had pointedly specified that it would be the case in judgement (e.g., Matt 22:7; Luke 19:41-44; 21:20-22). The judgement of Jerusalem started with the 66 A.D. siege yet mercy was still extended/demonstrated for the most part of that 4-year war.

This seems to be a bit orthogonal to what I wrote. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I'm not sure how that relates to what I wrote.

Quote:

For example:

Originally Posted By: Bible Deut 31:17, 18
17Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?

18And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods. (Deut 31)

Based on what I understand “the face” to symbolically mean/represent in the Bible, indeed as it is being figuratively spoken of in this passage, I see that this “hiding of His Face” involves God not allowing/facilitating a rebellious people/group to “see/understand/recognize/perceive” the things of God that would ‘make for their peace’. That is indeed one of the major reasons why Jesus spoke in parables (Matt 13:10-17 = Isa 6:9-13).

God's will is that all understand the truth and come to repentance.

Quote:
9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. (2 Pet. 3:9)

Every time she SOP deals with this subject, we see something like this:

Quote:
As a pall of death they covered their souls with error; and though Christ presented to them the inner meaning of the Jewish economy, that they might discern that he was the great Antitype, they closed their eyes, that they might not perceive, and hardened their hearts, that they might not understand. {ST November 7, 1892, par. 4}

The context here is quoting Isa. 6:9 and following.

We see that they closed their eyes, that they might not perceive, and hardened their hearts, that they might not understand. What God did in this process was to give them light.

This is simply another example of God's being presented as doing that which He permits.

Spiritual things are spiritually understood. It's not that God undertakes some special action to prevent unspiritual people from understanding spiritual things, but such is simply not possible. The natural man does not comprehend the things of God. In order to understand spiritual things, one must become spiritual. This requires a response to Christ, by means of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
T:Anger (or wrath) equates to forsaking/hiding of face, which results in trouble.

NJK:I rather see that it is God’s anger and wrath which leads to this distinctively destructive/detrimental action of Him hiding His face.

The hiding of His face is His wrath; these aren't different things, just multiple ways of expressing the same thing, which is common in Hebrew writing (EGW uses this device often as well).

Quote:
NJK:That is only one manifestation of His anger/wrath, and pointedly when dealing with His former people who had ample opportunity to ‘seek/see His Face’ and thus understand Him and His Ways. (2 Chr 7:14; Hos 5:15; cf. e.g., Psa 24:1-6).

This is His wrath. God's wrath does not consist of His getting piqued, as humans do, but in His reluctantly being caused to withdraw.

Quote:
Indeed, especially compared to the access and manifestation in Israel, God’s does hide His face from heathen peoples yet they do not naturally encounter troubles, indeed, as David says, many of them do “flourish” (Psa 92:7)

The same principle applies to the heathen; when God hides His face, troubles come. David wrote that they appeared to him to flourish, until he went to the sanctuary. Appearances can be deceiving. The life of the wicked is full of troubles. There are plenty of Scriptures to establish this (e.g. "The way of the transgressor is hard.").

Quote:
Ironically it is when/if God would reveal/show His Face to the wicked that they would be liable of immediate judgement just as Israel was whenever it acted like, and even worse than, these heathen nations “in the Face of God”. These heathens would then, like Israel has shown, not necessarily repent with this newly confronted “perception/knowledge” of God, especially if no explicit threat of judgement accompanies this revelation, but would continue to sin, now with knowledge of the Truth, and thus be duly judged. So God’s non-revelation to them, opting rather for this to be done through His People, serves to preserve the lives of these heathens. And if all fails and they never come to a saving knowledge of God and their actions and life had violated clear natural laws (i.e., last 6 commandments), then as David says, God would have “lovingly” allowed them to relatively thrive because ‘this is the only life they’ll ever be able to enjoy’ (Psa 92:7b)

I think I may agree with the last sentence here. Would you expand your thought here please? (More later)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133510
05/17/11 05:34 AM
05/17/11 05:34 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
NJK: As I have said and substantively explained/defended before, many times, I see no difference in the first and second death. It is still “normative death”. Only the sustainedly allowed suffering in before the Second Death is allowed to be effectuated, is what somewhat distinguishes them, though, as I see it, it does not change the (ultimate), identical, “death” factor involved. So that guides my understandings here. And I do see capital punishment as being a microcosm of what will occur in Hell where I also see that sin and sinners will be eradicated by an act of God (Rev 20:11-15 (cf. GC 672.2-673.1; EW 294.1ff) = 19:17-21) and not by “critical mass”/ “self-combustion”. Indeed I see EGW’s “consuming fire” statement to actually be more figurative than literal. As per example, in this statement:

Originally Posted By: SOP GC 673.3
While the earth was wrapped in the fire of destruction, the righteous abode safely in the Holy City. Upon those that had part in the first resurrection, the second death has no power. While God is to the wicked a consuming fire, He is to His people both a sun and a shield. Revelation 20:6; Psalm 84:11.

NJK: As I explained before, I think both the 7000 years and the way in which this GC was allowed to develop where God did not defaultly abandon those who sinned against Him to their own way, but allowed them to get a saving knowledge of the Gospel, resulting in the end that all will claim the name of Christ and really only be violating the letter of a single commandment, that, what I term, a “critical mass” stage of sin will not occur at the end of these 7000 years. Perhaps if God removed all of the righteous then and left these rebellious “Christians” on earth to live ca. 3000 more years, where now they knew that they actually were not Christians/approved by God and also that they had no chance of salvation, that these will then live out a life that comes to be ‘so out of harmony with God’, i.e., deliberately violating the spirit and letter of all of the Ten Commandments, that they indeed would self-combust in the mere presence of God. As also explained before, I still see that this would become the case only if God allows this to be and this is naturally done by Him not finding any actionable element in a person upon which He can have mercy. Indeed even in the situation with Satan coming into the presence of God and “surviving”/living it was evidently because the GC issues were not yet transparently self-demonstrated, as it will even more fully be at the end of the allotted ca. 7000 years.

Tom: I couldn't follow this last paragraph.

I think it was sufficiently clear, all things considered. Take it one sentence/thought at a time. And as I said, ‘I had explained this before’. So see back e.g., in here Post #132171 (Section for DA 764.3) for more.

Originally Posted By: Tom
Regarding the above, a couple of questions come to mind. One if if you believe that God executed His Son through capital punishment.

Since Jesus did not self-combust on the Cross but died of a broken heart because God caused Him to become this “sick” (Isa 53:10) through “extreme mental anguish” (see here for more), then I believe He was “non-naturally” put to death (=Capital Punishment), let alone through the Roman’s “Capital Punishment” method of crucifixion.

The other question is why you see the consuming fire statements to be figurative.

I see EGW’s statement as figurative because (1) I don’t see the destruction of the wicked as depicted as such in the Bible or in the SOP in regards to the Hell Fire Judgement. Indeed, as I said before (see here Post #132118 and here Post #132254), I also see EGW’s understand of what she though 2 Thess 2:8 as being out of a wrong translation. The wicked are destroyed in their first (pre-millennium) and Second Death (Hell) by active actions of God.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133511
05/17/11 05:36 AM
05/17/11 05:36 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
T:DA 764 isn't dealing with capital punishment, but with the destruction of the wicked.

NJK:As I said above, I see the final destruction as the ultimate/anti-typical “Capital Punishment” for sin, and then all and any sins, since the conclusive, though not necessarily exhaustive, self-evidence will be in/available then.

Tom: I see the cross as more of an indication as to the character of the final destruction.

I can see how your view would need this to be the sequence, but it is logically clear that Jesus endured the pain and suffering that the redeemed and the lost would have to endure in Hell at the end. So the Cross was logically a substitutionary (for the Saved) and representational (for the wicked) of that future due judgement.

Also there was no Hell Fire at the Cross. So while a mental suffering may have been undergone by Christ, a physical suffering of the Fire of Hell apparently was not effectuated....

Quote:
NJK: Indeed since God knew that sinner can live a very long time, even eternally as sinners if their physical body/health was “therapeutically maintained” by the Tree of Life, these 7000 years, as seen in the symbology of 7 (vs. 10) is only a perfect representation/sampling of a much larger possible whole.

Tom: This looks to be a big difference we have. You appear to view sin is primarily, or only, a physical problem, where I see it as a spiritual problem. If sin were only a physical problem, then the tree of life could conceivably fix that, so I can see, given this presupposition, why you would think that a sinner could live eternally. Indeed, above, you only mention body/health as what needs to be “therapeutically maintained."

...And this is where, as I expressed before, I see that Jesus took care of the mental aspects of sins which then allows for God to excise it from the redeemed sinners psyche/mentality/mind. Something that the Tree of Life would not do. However the Tree of Life does serve to “upkeep” the new bodies that the redeemed will be given as a total replacement of the prior on (unlike one’s mind/character) by God.

I base my Theology of ‘Every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God’ and not, as you opt to do, only on what fancies your view. That is indeed the one-sided/selective method that Satan tried to use to deceive Christ (Matt 4:5-7). So, once again, since the Creator God said that a sinner could live eternally, with a sinful mentality, just by eating of the Tree of Life, then my Theological View/Understanding here can’t but include this God-expressed, and thus, incontrovertible fact. Anything less, even basing it on what one understands from EGW, is forming another Gospel (2 Cor 11:3-6). Indeed the same deception principle of selective/partial/imcomplete “quoting of God” was used to deceive Eve (Gen 3:4, 5).

So frankly and seriously Tom, your approach of deficient Biblical exegesis, has placed you on enchantingly deceptive grounds. (Cf. 1 Tim 2:14) Indeed building a doctrine on only selective passages on a topic (like done with the teachings of Eternal Hell Torment, Eternal Soul, the Secret Rapture, etc), is tantamount to weaving a “fanstasy.” Those are just the hard facts of the matter!

I see that the deeper issues of sin, the issues which cause death, have to due with the mind and the soul. This is what DA 764 is getting at, where it brings out that the wicked form characters so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire, and that His glory (which is His character) destroys them. How does it destroy them? The following helps to understand how:

Originally Posted By: SOP GC 542-543
Those who have chosen Satan as their leader and have been controlled by his power are not prepared to enter the presence of God. Pride, deception, licentiousness, cruelty, have become fixed in their characters. Can they enter heaven to dwell forever with those whom they despised and hated on earth?

Truth will never be agreeable to a liar; meekness will not satisfy self-esteem and pride; purity is not acceptable to the corrupt; disinterested love does not appear attractive to the selfish. What source of enjoyment could heaven offer to those who are wholly absorbed in earthly and selfish interests?

Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise?

Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late.

A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 542-543)

The operative action/development in this SOP quote is ‘bringing that so-out-of-harmony’ sinner into the immediate presence of God and Godly things. However, as I said, God could easily made it that sinners never be subjected to this. Indeed just like humans in this world live apart from God’s presence. So the fact that God has to make it that the sinner come into His presence to suffer this automatic destruction when it is actually feasible (i.e., in a critical mass type of way) involves an active action of God either in going to where the sinner (on Earth = Second Coming) is or making the sinner come to where He is (in Heaven/Post Millennium Destruction in sight of the New Jerusalem).

None of this is anything the Tree of Life can fix. The problem is one of character, as the above points out. Note:

Originally Posted By: SOP
They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them.

Again, this is not something the Tree of Life can fix. Also:

Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire.

What is purity, holiness and peace to the wicked? It's "torture." Imagine "peace"(!) being torture! But such is the effect of sin.

As explained above, Christ’s suffering and death takes care of mental/psychological (= “soul”) aspects of the effects of sin. Yet we still then will not be given character traits that we had not priorly developed in this life, but will have to develop them for ourselves in Heaven, probably all during the Millennium period. Indeed many will be saved who were not even explicit/knowing believers in God/Christ.

Going back to the chapter "It Is Finished" for a moment, we see in this chapter, which deals with the effects of Christ's death on the cross, perhaps the most detailed explanation as to the principles involved in the destruction of the wicked. I don't think this is coincidence. I don't think we can understand the destruction of the wicked without understanding the cross.

It indeed helps one to understand the mental aspects of that destruction.

So in summary, my view is that the Tree of Life indeed deals with the health and body of Man, while Christ’s death deals with the mental aspects. Still by the wounds that Jesus suffered, the price was paid for the redeemed sinner to receive an entirely new, replacement body free of all of the physical damages of sin (Isa 53:5b).

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133512
05/17/11 05:42 AM
05/17/11 05:42 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec

Quote:
T:If God were to allow this, a person wouldn't have the opportunity to develop a character. So God permits a person to sin and not die right away, so as to to develop a character, and have an opportunity to make the right decision.

NJK:I don’t understand how you are involving the formation of one’s character in this. I rather see that time is permitted so that people can understand why God’s ways are indeed, now transparently better, and based on this choose either sin or God.

Tom: Regarding character development, I was referring to this:

God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. (DA 764)

Tom: This, by the way, I believe is a good explanation of God's wrath; giving a person over to the results of their choice.

NJK (edited):What confused me is that you didn’t specify “character” here and it could go either way, good or bad. I also sequiturly saw that you had meant ‘good character’ with your ‘leading to making the right decision’ qualifying, which I further do not see as being achieved by God by permitting someone to sin. EGW, as seen in DA 763.3, foundationally has in mind either ‘good or bad character’ (= “two classes”), but it is the ‘developed bad character’ that she is exclusively focusing on throughout DA 764.1.

Tom: I'm not following your point here. My point was this:

:If God were to allow this, a person wouldn't have the opportunity to develop a character. So God permits a person to sin and not die right away, so as to to develop a character, and have an opportunity to make the right decision.

Tom: This seems quite clear to me.

And my point was/is that EGW is pointedly speaking of an ‘evil character’ which logically does not lead one to “have an opportunity to make the right decision”. How does an chance to continue sinning make one form a “good (i.e., right-decision-making) Character”??

Quote:
T:There are a thousand dangers, all of them unseen, from which God protects us. We're not aware of most of these dangers, just a very, very small percentage, so do not recongize just how dangerous a thing sin is, nor to what extent we are dependent upon God and His protection.

NJK: As I see it, these fall under the “basic necessities of life” that God equally provides for everyone, indeed all in protection against the harmful results of sin.

Tom: That's an awfully broad characterization of "basic necessities of life."

NJK (edited):I don’t think so. I think you are seeing it as broad as you also include in this judgements that God actively did. I.e., Fires from heaven/cloud/Most Holy Place, the Flood, the Plagues. I understand that you see the world in a state of chaos that need the constant actions by God. I rather see that the Earth can come to “skewly” develop a catastrophic problem and God, when this is about to occur, intervenes to avert it at times, especially if it will result in a, relatively speaking, not proportionally deserved destruction/loss of life. But sometimes he lets them happen, hence “natural disasters”.

NJK: So God’s (would be, i.e., if EGW actually said/revealed this) keeping the planet in its proper orbit is a basic necessity for sustained life.

Tom: This is hard to follow.

Seems clear to me. Try it again with the minor editing. An examples is a hurricane. The world is not “chaotically” averting hurricanes every second. But at times a wind can, due to various atmospheric differences in weather/climate, and that caused by the axis-shifting destruction during the Flood, result in this wind forming into a hurricane, then God may choose to send angels to either divert the hurricane from hitting a populated areas and/or lessen it force before it hits land. This is what I understand by skewly vs. chaotic. I.e., “it can naturally develop” vs. “it is threateningly and eminently ever-present”.

I understood this part:

Originally Posted By: NJK Project
I understand that you see the world in a state of chaos that need the constant actions by God.

Tom: And I agree with this characterization of my understanding. I didn't understand your statement, however, other than that I take it you disagree.

Tom: Here's the statement from "The Ministry of Healing" I was thinking of:

Originally Posted By: SOP MH 416.3
It is not by inherent power that year by year the earth yields its bounties and continues its march around the sun. The hand of the Infinite One is perpetually at work guiding this planet. It is God’s power continually exercised that keeps the earth in position in its rotation. It is God who causes the sun to rise in the heavens. He opens the windows of heaven and gives rain. {MH 416.3}

It seems to me from the wider context of that MH 416.3 statement that this active role of God is not something that is limited to/a consequence of a post-sin state, but something that He must do with all of His created world. As seen below it is speaking of God’s Creation in general, irrespective of sin.

Originally Posted By: SOP MH 416.1
God is constantly employed in upholding and using as His servants the things that He has made. He works through the laws of nature, using them as His instruments. They are not self-acting. Nature in her work testifies of the intelligent presence and active agency of a Being who moves in all things according to His will.

So the world is not being spoken of here as being in “chaos,” but in needing an active energy and guidance to operate it. Sort of like a bicycle vs. a moped. The bicycle needs to be humanly powered to move forward while the moped is powered/propelled by a motor.

So this active impetus/energy from God for His Creation would indeed be part of His generally provided “basic necessities of/for life”. Still it is not necessarily acting because of ‘sin-caused “chaos”’. It is just the way nature was only meant to, indeed by logical implication given God’s power, could only work.

Quote:
NJK:Indeed most of these “thousand dangers” may be of this “basic necessity type” which all should have occurred as a result of sin.

Tom: The context of our discussion here is the blessings that God provides to the wicked. Your statement seemed to be indicating that God's blessings to the wicked were very limited, including only the "basic necessity type."

Indeed, especially in what is necessary to preserve/sustain normal/basic life.

I pointed out that the thousands of dangers from which God protects us, all of them unseen, included the wicked.

It seems to me that you had actually wrongly conflated God’s active actions to “operate” nature with/as “judgement dangers”. The two are not the same. One is evidently always present in God Creation, the other is the direct result/consequence of sin.

You included this as a part of the "basic necessity type," which would have you agreeing with me in terms of what God is including in terms of blessing the wicked, it seems to me, just that you apply to them what appears to me to be an odd title.

As Gen 18:23ff shows, God does not ‘destroy the righteous with the wicked. And so, as this world involves the righteous living where the wicked also live, then that may be the reason why God averts many potential destructions. However in the time of Plagues, as also in Egypt, God can act to judge the wicked because the righteous have heedinly been withdrawn from among them.

As to what these thousand blessings included, this is the context:

Originally Posted By: SOP 14MR 3.1
They are preserved from a thousand dangers, all to them unseen.... I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan’s decided attacks upon them. It is Satan’s power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. {14MR 3.1}

Again here context (i.e., from proper exegesis) is key. As stated before, this is speaking of (as in its later application in GC 35-37) God’s dealing with formerly righteous people (as this Elder Stone was and the “they” referred to here) who He had been actively protecting against pointed attacks of the Devil and not to wicked people in general. These are Righteous people who have chosen to act/become wicked. Just like Satan does not act righteously against himself (Matt 12:25, 26; Mar 3:24-26) he logically also does not act wickedly against himself, shooting himself in the foot, unless he either can gain a greater advantage against the cause of God by such a “sacrificial acts and/or he possibly has nothing left to gain.

Quote:
NJK: However there are many Satan-caused dangers that God has to pointedly and constantly protect His people against, as long as He actually can, i.e., if they are faithful.

Tom: These are included in the "thousand dangers, all of them unseen."

NJK: Probably, though I have a harder time of understanding them as “dangers,” which I see more to be “natural obstacles” than caused/attempted-attacks by Satan. They may however be “traps” set by Satan for God’s people which they can be harmed by when God justly no longer prevents them from walking into them.

Tom: I don't know what you're referring to here. It seems to me the dangers being referred to are like those in Job.

Did you read what events led to Job’s dispossession and loss??

-(Job 1:14, 15) An enemy Sabeans attack taking oxen and donkeys.
-(Job 1:16) Fire from the sky burning up the sheep. (It was deemed from God, but evidently from Satan as permitted by God (Job 1:11, 12). Indeed as EGW says in PK 150.1 with the Mount Carmel episode, Satan has the power to make fire (via lightning) come down from the sky if God permits (cf. Rev 13:13). As seen today when lightning strikes people, lightning does cause what is still seen today as (fatal) “burns”.)
-(Job 1:17) A raid by three bands of Chaldeans taking the camels.
-(Job 1:18, 19) A great wind from the “wilderness”(??) which knocked down the house where all of Job’s children were partying.
-On top of this, these attacks killed many, if not all of Job’s servants.
-(Job 2:4-7) Later sore boils caused by Satan.

So all of these damages were done by direct actions of men or Satan and all clearly inspired/influenced by Satan and with no angels of God deliberately being sent to defend Job. The Sabeans and Chaldeans may never have wanted to do a raid on Job until Satan would have here inspired them. Satan can also easily generate a strong, tornado type destructive wind.

That is what I see as a difference be “natural dangers” vs. “artificially” created harm.

(By the way, do you know where EGW has a full account of the Job episode. I do not see it in PP or in my EGW Scriptural Index).

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133513
05/17/11 05:43 AM
05/17/11 05:43 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
NJK: I see that this only applies, as she qualifies, “when men pass the limits of divine forbearance” and “that restraint is removed”. That then involves God not seeking to do any acts of mercy in a judgement. However, as seen in e.g., the Flood, the fiery serpents, the destruction of Sodom, the first destruction of Jerusalem, the most part of the War of the Jews, etc. God actually wanted to have and show mercy to anyone who would repent.

Tom: God always wants to have and to show mercy. We see this just as much in the destruction of Jersualem in A.D. 70. For example, the lamentation of Christ shows this.

NJK: God’s/Jesus’s “wanting” to do something is completely distinct from what He ultimately/eventually “chooses” to do (even when allowing/permitting).

Tom: You wrote, "God actually wanted to have and show mercy to anyone who would repent." Since you spoke of what God "actually wanted," this is what I commented on. God "actually wants" to show mercy on anyone who repents all the time.

Tom: I don't know why you're bringing up a distinction between what God wants and chooses to do, as you weren't speaking to this, nor did I.

NJK:Well then I had “misunderstood” you, (according to your wider view) to mean: ‘God always wants to have mercy, therefore He never does, nor is involved in, judgements.’ Therefore my distinction was to emphasize, as I more widely theologically understand it, God may want/prefer to have mercy, but in some case he is left with no other choice but to enter into judgement, which He most times, Himself does/administers/executes, even when mixed with mercy. I.e., even with some mercy involved, it can still be a devastating judgement (e.g., Judah’s (2 tribes) Babylonian Captivity (vs. Israel’s (10 tribes) Assyrian Captivity)).

Tom: I think God is involved in judgments, and these judgements are as described here:

Quote:
They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan’s decided attacks upon them. It is Satan’s power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. {14MR 3.1}

I see God’s “involvement” in a judgement as being actionably determinative of what takes place and even ‘preventing angels to continue/provide a protection’ is an executive action of God. What takes place after that protection is prevented/withdrawn is a whole other and distinct level of Judgement. So GC 35-37 and 14MR 1-3 describe those judgements where God is no longer involved. So your claim of “involvement” here would “misnomerly” mean that God is doing those types of judgements.

Quote:
NJK: Case in point, as I substantively see and understand it, at some point, late into the Jewish War, God no longer chose to have mercy and let Titus respond as He should have a long time ago, and no longer have mercy. Indeed the reason why Titus chose to no longer have mercy was not even substantive, i.e., the Jews were physically fighting back, but because he became insulted by the Jews presuming to dictate the terms of surrender. (Josephus, Wars 6:6.3 [#352]) If he became so indignant for that, then it can be seen that his previous patience and mercy when suffering losses in actual battle was surely God influenced.

Tom: I don't see why you're pointing this out. That is, how does this tie into our discussion?

NJK:When God wanted to have mercy in the first parts of the war, permitting both Christians and then also Jews to freely escape alive from this judgement through repeated war haltings/“cutting shorts” (cf. Matt 24:22), I see that His Spirit influenced the Romans and later Titus to take actions towards this merciful end. However late in the war, when God no longer wanted to have mercy, as He actually could not, Titus was permitted to become indignant, and that over something substantively insignificant, and the actual “Destruction of Jerusalem” occurred then.

NJK: So I see this development as being typical of God and indeed what will occur in the 7 Last Plagues with some, though non-salvific, mercy for the first 6 and no mercy in the last one.

Tom: No mercy means God permitted Satan to do his will? E.g.

Quote:
Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will.

“No mercy” is when God no longer involves anything that can prevent a natural course or created one from taking place, which thus also includes Satan’s desire and attempts to inflict damage upon people who had previously been opposing his kingdom and in a way continue to surfacely do so even while actually doing his will. I.e., the Jews would seem to other pagan nations as the people of God though their ways were actually corrupt and evil.

So "no mercy" was when this state was reached. Before this state, God had not been caused to remove His protection, so mercy was still being applied. It seems pretty clear that this is what was happening here, correct?

That is clearly what was the case in the Jewish War. Until late 70 A.D., Titus was actually resolutely not seeking to inflict the damage that he went on to do to Jerusalem.

So, to related this to final plagues, God, in the first 6 plagues, was still protecting, to differing degrees, but when the 7th arrives, He has removed His protection completely; is this the idea?

I would say “protecting” in the sense of ““limiting” the extent of the Plagues’. And, as I said before, because it is not until during the 6th plague (Rev 16:13-16) that the needed supernatural influence is permitted to compel people throughout the world to accept the western led “Christian” New World Order.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133514
05/17/11 05:49 AM
05/17/11 05:49 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec

Quote:
T:I believe the only reason God chooses not to have mercy on someone is that they do not desire it (I'm speaking in the true sense of the term, meaning that they desire mercy from a sense of having done wrong -- i.e. truly repentant --, but not merely that they don't want to suffer the consequences of what they did).

NJK:Of course a genuine repentance is key in this act of God. And God cannot grant something that is not genuinely requested. In the War of the Jews, those who wanted to surrender peacefully to the Romans did so probably out of a desire to prevent further destruction to what they considered God’s property. And that in itself was/would be relatively noble. I can only see that God’s hand and mercy was involved up to the utter destruction end phase, because the entire residents/occupants of Jerusalem then (ca. 2 million people) were to all suffer death in that war. (= Matt 22:7)

Tom: You're agreeing or disagreeing with what I said?

I am agreeing, just trying to further see how/why God could have had this manifested mercy with these Jews.

Quote:
NJK: Also in some case, He wanted to limit/control the extent of destruction. (That is also reversedly present in the final Hell Fire judgement). So He was there standing as the administrator and executioner of this sentence, as EGW also understood (see also her later comments in GC 614.2).

Tom: You mean just the one sentence taken out of context, right?

NJK: Are you referring to a “textual sentence” or a “judgement sentence” here? I am not sure by what you are implying here, especially as I don’t see the “executioner” sentence to be out of context, particularly spiritually.

Tom: I was referring to the sentence in GC 614.2 that you had in mind.

NJK:I am actually still confused. So explicitly state/quote the ‘sentence from GC 614.2 that you thought I had in mind.’

Tom: I think I'll defer to you her. What comments of hers did you have in mind? Or, if you don't think is important, just skip it.

It is actually important to this theological topic and I thus do indeed include it to arrive at the proper understanding. From the start I had in mind EGW’s statement of ‘God actively effectuated judgements in the Bible’ related in all of GC 614.2 as:

Originally Posted By: SOP GC 614.2 (delineation supplied)
-A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning.
-When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished.
-The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits.
-There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere.

So in the light of what I had in mind and said, I could not understand what you meant by: “You mean just the one sentence taken out of context, right?”

Quote:
Tom: Focusing on this sentence:

NJK: So, like in the War of the Jews event, I see a gradual withdrawal of God’s mercy culminating in an utter ended of unmixed wrathful judgement for those who persist in rebellion until the end.

Tom: I agree with this. In the case of the destruction of Jerusalem, the unmixed wrathful judgment was caused by God's completely His withdrawal of protection against Satan.

NJK: As I understand your view, you see this withdrawal of mercy for the entire war period (namely 66-70 A.D.). I actually see this as not the case for this entire war judgement, but like in the 7 Last Plagues, only in the final part, i.e., after Titus became indignant (sometime in 70 A.D.) and proceed to both unmercifully kill the remaining Jews and also deliberately aim to destroy the city. Perhaps as you had said below, you agree with this two-part judgement view...

Tom: I hadn't really gotten into this aspect at all, but was only commenting more generally, that the Jews had caused God to remove His protection from them, which is what the judgment consisted of.

Understood. However that aspect is still an inherent part of this topic and thus must be included.

Quote:
NJK: As explained above, I see that there is mercy involved even within/during the execution of a judgement by God, right up to an utter end, where God allows the Devil to then fully have his way.

Tom: Ok, I wasn't understanding this. I agree with this. (More later)

NJK:...however I do not see how this reconciled with your sustainedly expressed view that God is not involved in a judgement at all but that things naturally and independently developed on their own.

Tom: I've not said this. God is involved in the judgment, certainly, as the judgment consists of God's removing His protection, which is something that God does. God removes His protection; He orders His angels to "release" (e.g., release the winds of strife); these are things that God does.

I actually see that you, as you have done before, are back peddling on your prior stance. As I said before. You are now saying that God’s withdrawal action is a judgement action of God, whereas before you were saying that even this is not a judgement from God but simply a “passive” natural occurrence.

Quote:
NJK: Under such a view, God cannot be acting to influence Titus to restrain himself, nor have His own angels delve out first 6 plagues (Rev 16:1-16) and even initiated the final one (vs. 17, 18) which is then allowed to be executed by Satan (vs. 19-21/ GC 614.2-615.1)

Tom: I don't see why, under such a view, God could not have been acting to influence Titus to restrain himself. Indeed, I would imagine that God was doing so the whole time. Perhaps for awhile Titus responded to the Holy Spirit, and then stopped; I don't know.

I am only speaking from what your view had always been before you made this sly slight switch here, and retroactively have tried to apply it to your prior position. Indeed under your prior position in the War of the Jews, God had removed his protection from even before the Romans came to Jerusalem. I.e., He removed His protection and all of a sudden the Roman felt and urge to go and destroy Jerusalem. So I don’t see how you suddenly now claim that God was protecting the Jews during the actual 66-70 A.D. War!!? According to your prior stance God’s Spirit was completely removed from this judgement long before the 70 A.D. decision by Titus for utter destruction.

Regarding the 7 last plagues, I see that what EGW wrote in 14 MR 3 applies, which I already quoted twice recently, so won't do so again.

The Bible is clear that the first 6 plagues are done by Holy angels in order to only be pointedly and thus limitedly effectuated, and the 7th is initiated by God. It is only after then that 14MR3.1 applies within the development of that Last Plague. I have no problem with what EGW says, just how you are indiscriminately understanding/applying it. It only applies to “no-more-mercy” situations which indeed usually have an extended “merciful” lead up.

Your point of view appears to be that God initiates judgment, by means of the holy angels, and then permits Satan to execute the final one? So they are pretty much working hand in hand here? Or I'm misunderstanding you here?

It is apparently your understanding that judgment is evil which leads to this derogative “hand-in-hand” aspersion here. God’s Justice includes Him executing judgements Himself. And to fairly and justly do so, indeed as either Satan “fairly” won’t do so, or “justly” won’t even begin to a judgement at all (e.g, the Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah), I see in the Bible and SOP that most of these times, God Himself has had to entirely do a judgement. Yet he still involves an extended period of mercy before proceeding to completely apply the deserved punishment. It is only when God either no longer wants to have any mercy at all and/or does not care to what extent the destruction is done that He then completely removes Himself and thus allows Satan to have his way. And Satan does proceed to effectuate these judgements because they are indeed against former People of God who he passionately hates and wants to destroy. That is the case with utterly rebellious individuals (14 MR 1-3) and in the end, when Satan will have nothing left to gain, with the inhabitants of the world.

In fact, this Last Plague judgement by Satan may be done again these people who are actually serving him so that they will not come to switch sides in actual genuine repentance, but instead spitefully seek to “blaspheme God” (Rev 16:21). Therefore God’s decision to Himself entirely effectuate the first 6 plagues, through His commissioned angels, was so that this “blaspheming” of God does not prematurely occur. I.e., before these “wicked” people have had the self-generate chance to themselves clear see and understand that they have chosen the wrong side and are lost because of their own unbiblical choices.

God is not “collaborating” with Satan but actually, as throughout this GC, actually just using him to make His perfect will be gloriously self-demonstrated and self-vindicated. And, like in a chess match, that is all because God is infinitely so much more wiser than Satan, so the “moves” he permits Satan to naturally do, or “corners” him to do, only serve to accomplish God’s perfect will. That is also how I see prophecies are ultimately fulfilled as Satan cannot even act to defeat them by not doing what God said would be done, (e.g, persecuting the Saints (Dan 7:25) as this would result in great damage to his cause.

I don't things this way. I see that God is constantly acting contrary to Satan, protecting the wicked, as much as He can, from Satan's attacks. As God is caused to remove His protection, the attacks occur, all contrary to God's will.

As I said before quoting e.g, Mar 3-24-26, Satan does not “defaulty/constantly” so act against himself, thus ‘constantly seeking to destroy people who are actually serving him.’ He rather is glad when people choose to live however they wish to live, apart from God’s law, even if it is self-destructive, as this was what he wanted to occur from the start of this GC.

Also 14MR 1-3 and GC 35-37 are not speaking of the “wicked” but former followers of God.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133515
05/17/11 05:53 AM
05/17/11 05:53 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Quote:
T:These last paragraphs were well written in terms of the sentence structure. Much easier to understand, which is appreciated.

NJK:Sometimes, even in my “brainstorming responses, as my time only allows for, for this discussion, some things do come out clearer than others, not actually through any special effort on my part. As I have said, proofreading would have made other statements just as clear but I can’t afford that review process.

Tom: If I have to keep asking you what you mean half a dozen times, are you really saving any time over if you had just written your thoughts clearly the first time? Surely not, right?

Wrong, and surely “Yes.”

As I only do this restating when substantively valid then: Yes.

And since I am not sure what you get or not get then also: Yes and again this objection is then substantively weighed to see if it is not frivolous.

Also most of these things had already been explained before.

Quote:
Tom: I wouldn't say that God intends judgment, but repentance. Judgment occurs only when people refuse to repent, and that judgment is a result of people refusing the protection which God offers them. The "no-more-mercy" stage is when people have made their final decision not to repent.

NJK:Though I get your well-meaning attempt here to effectively, “defend” God, I Biblically actually see that it is “judgement” that is still being prominently applicable in such “judgement” cases as it is a blameless part of God’s Character: = His Justice. So when God decides to enter into judgement with someone, though repentance may be, and usually is, a possible outcome in the judgement, indeed there always seems to be a last granted opportunity to repent (= Isa 1:18-20), it is judgement that is the prominent action. Using judgements to seek repentance would make God compel repentance through force.

Tom: I see that the judgment occurs when God is caused to remove His protection, which is not something that He intends, but is caused to do.

Succinctly said, as it is Biblically so obvious, as seen in e.g, Exod 33:19; “King Saul vs. King David” & Ezek 36:22-38) God is never “caused” in the sense of forced to remove His mercy/protection from anyone. He only does so when He wants it to be so, for whatever greater reason He has seen as fit. Indeed God legislating that some sins be capitally punished while others are not is another example of this choice of God.

Regarding your last sentence, that's an interesting point. If it were God's purpose to coerce repentance by means of judgment, I would agree with you. But the Bible says that it is God's goodness which leads us to repentance, Romans 2:3,4. So the way I could see this would work would be if when God removes His protection, it is seen what God had been doing (i.e., protecting), and this opening of the eyes to God's goodness (His protection) leads one to repentance.

Glad you Biblically corrected/clarified yourself here. You (LOL) are not “agreeing” with me as this is not my view at all. I was only stating what your prior objection entailed prior to your Biblical correction/clarification. Again, it seem here that you, as patently, also embarrasedly “slyly” switched views now, but tried to retroactively attribute it to ‘the view you always had.’ Even seeking to make me be the one holding that view!?? Nice try. Not fooling me.

The prior “goodness” of God is indeed seen when His judgements are manifested, but only when the people being judged see/understand that their ways had been evil. If not these judgements only serve to vexatiously harden people against God and/or seek spurious punishment-avoiding mercy.

Quote:
A key, significant phrase to keep in mind, used by the SOP in the description of the destruction of Jerusalem, is that God was *caused* to remove His protection. What happened was this:

1.God is protecting, showing mercy, urging repentance.
2.While the heart is not completely hardened, this continues.
3.There is simultaneous action going on:
a.God being caused to remove His protection.
b.God continuing to protect.

While the heart is not completely hardened, b>a. At a certain point, after so much resistance to the pleading of the Holy Spirit, a>b, and disaster occurs.

NJK (edited): I Biblically see/understand that from the time when God allowed the Roman armies to approach and surround Jerusalem, indeed as He/Jesus had pointedly specified that it would be the case in judgement (e.g., Matt 22:7; Luke 19:41-44; 21:20-22), the judgement of Jerusalem started with the 66 A.D. siege, yet mercy was still extended/demonstrated for the most part of that 4-year war.

Tom: This seems to be a bit orthogonal to what I wrote. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I'm not sure how that relates to what I wrote.

It is actually seeking to squarely “oppose” what you had said above because, once again your view up to then had been that the withdrawal of God’s mercy had occurred before the approach of the Roman armies in 66 A.D. Prior to that you had never made any statement in regards to any “simultaneous actions”. (If you think so then do state the post reference). So it is your sudden, and non-explicitly stated, but sly retroactively applied, switching of view here is what is causing confusion here. When you switch views, just honestly/truthfully state so. This sly tactic only speaks volumes against you, actually corroborating the arbitrarily “dishonest” approach to Scripture/Exegesis that I greatly suspect (to say the least) in/with you..

And how is this actually substantively not pertinent to what you had just said if this is what you meant by the “simulatenous actions” of “a.God being caused to remove His protection”
and “b.God continuing to protect.”??? How did this jointly occur before 66 A.D. act-of-war siege??!

Quote:
Tom: For example:

Originally Posted By: Bible Deut 31:17, 18
17Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?

18And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods. (Deut 31)

NJK: Based on what I understand “the face” to symbolically mean/represent in the Bible, indeed as it is being figuratively spoken of in this passage, I see that this “hiding of His Face” involves God not allowing/facilitating a rebellious people/group to “see/understand/recognize/perceive” the things of God that would ‘make for their peace’. That is indeed one of the major reasons why Jesus spoke in parables (Matt 13:10-17 = Isa 6:9-13).

Tom: God's will is that all understand the truth and come to repentance.

Originally Posted By: Bible
9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. (2 Pet. 3:9)

That is indeed true but that does not change the fact that God still acts to keep people in darkness and/or effectuate premature, non-natural capital judgements on them. Israel destroying surrounding nations even before giving them a chance to repent or telling them of the Truth (e.g., Deut 20:16-18), are examples of this.

Again a Theological views is not to be built upon a select passages from only one side. That is the choice tactic of the Devil to deceive. You seem to only want to focus on passages which you deem “good” and “Godly” and ignore anything else. Even that “sanctifying” premise does not result in having a Biblical View. All of the Bible is equally inspired by God and profitable for Doctrine (2 Tim 3:16).

Every time she SOP deals with this subject, we see something like this:

As a pall of death they covered their souls with error; and though Christ presented to them the inner meaning of the Jewish economy, that they might discern that he was the great Antitype, they closed their eyes, that they might not perceive, and hardened their hearts, that they might not understand. {ST November 7, 1892, par. 4}

The context here is quoting Isa. 6:9 and following.

We see that they closed their eyes, that they might not perceive, and hardened their hearts, that they might not understand. What God did in this process was to give them light.

The SOP is not the final interpreter of Scripture, and as with the Plagues and God’s hardening of Pharaoh, EGW may not have had to exegetically accurate/complete understanding here. There are many cases of this in her writings. You can choose to limit you understanding of the Bible to what she knew and wrote, I don’t (Pro 4:18). There is indeed much more to be learn from God’s word that was not “present truth” or even pragmatically needed for EGW’s “age of faith” days vs. our current fully blown “age of reason” even “age of unreason” age. I.e., as our times are becoming more and more like the pagan peoples that Israel had to deal with when coming out of Egypt, God allows us to better understand His wise and just dealings in and for these times and circumstances. The emphasis on the discovery of God’s Love greatly by EGW in her ministry does not supplant or discard the prior revelations of God’s Justice. All of His manifested character attributes are equally pertinent and blameless.

This is simply another example of God's being presented as doing that which He permits.

This is the perfect example of what I have meant when saying that ‘you continue to see a dense forest despite all of the felled tree.’ You just mantra-likely repeated this statement as if the 7 prime examples you had advanced to substantiate it had not long ago been all shown to be spurious. Furthermore, you have chosen not to respond to those substantively debunking responses. Yet this is still a ‘concrete truth’ to you?!? How exactly?!! Frankly, and factually-speaking, that borders on being intellectually delusional! At the very least: irresponsible if not also “dishonest”.

Spiritual things are spiritually understood. It's not that God undertakes some special action to prevent unspiritual people from understanding spiritual things, but such is simply not possible. The natural man does not comprehend the things of God. In order to understand spiritual things, one must become spiritual. This requires a response to Christ, by means of the Holy Spirit.

If God is “permitting”(??) people not to understand the Truth in veiled sayings, which implies that were it but for this act they would have naturally understood them, then how is this not a “doing” action of God. To do this, he clearly has to either obstruct the rational thought-process of people and/or prevent His Spirit from making any elucidating contribution.

And again, as seen with Christ’s own inner circle of disciples, just using parables and veiled saying is quite sufficient to cause this non-comprehension even with people who want to know and do the Truth. Evidently EGW missed that exegetical, (i.e., wider context) fact. As seen with her initial take on Christ’s response to Mary at Cana, EGW is not immune from making purely defensive expositions on a issue. Indeed a prophet was not immune from making such human-minded mistakes.

EGW infamous, and wholly not logically reconcilable “amalgamation statement” (especially in regards to “the many races of the earth”) may be along these false, personal beliefs/understanding lines of her times. Indeed just as eating oyster was despite her having received the Health Message revelation years before. Again the Bible is to be the final judge of what is truly/fully Biblical and not the writing of EGW.

Quote:
T:Anger (or wrath) equates to forsaking/hiding of face, which results in trouble.

NJK:I rather see that it is God’s anger and wrath which leads to this distinctively destructive/detrimental action of Him hiding His face.

Tom: The hiding of His face is His wrath; these aren't different things, just multiple ways of expressing the same thing, which is common in Hebrew writing (EGW uses this device often as well).

To you and your understanding they are not. But according to my wider and more specific exegetical understanding, they substantively are. (EGW use of a ‘literary device’ does not automatically translate into meaning that ‘God also used such a literary device’!??)

Quote:
NJK:That is only one manifestation of His anger/wrath, and pointedly when dealing with His former people who had ample opportunity to ‘seek/see His Face’ and thus understand Him and His Ways. (2 Chr 7:14; Hos 5:15; cf. e.g., Psa 24:1-6).

Tom: This is His wrath. God's wrath does not consist of His getting piqued, as humans do, but in His reluctantly being caused to withdraw.

The Bible is unequivocally clear that God’s wrath first become “piqued” i.e., “burns” (Psa 78:38; Exod 32:10-12; Deut 7:14; etc.); and then related, up to full, concrete judgement ensues, if He further wants to. (2 Chr 12:12; Hos 11:9; Psa 95:10, 11, etc.)

(It would be beneficial to you that when you make such maxim statement about what you think about God, to back it up with Scripture. Then they at least can be seen to been based/derived from something. I am sure your are over-confident that your view is correct, but only the Bible determines if this is true or not.)

Quote:
NJK: Indeed, especially compared to the access and manifestation in Israel, God’s does hide His face from heathen peoples yet they do not naturally encounter troubles, indeed, as David says, many of them do “flourish” (Psa 92:7)

Tom: The same principle applies to the heathen; when God hides His face, troubles come. David wrote that they appeared to him to flourish, until he went to the sanctuary. Appearances can be deceiving. The life of the wicked is full of troubles. There are plenty of Scriptures to establish this (e.g. "The way of the transgressor is hard.").

[Do state the reference for your (until then) supposed Biblical references] E.g., where exactly is this “sanctuary” allusion. As I had said, Psa 92:7 says that the wicked are allowed to flourish ‘so that they might be destroyed forevermore’, which I understand to mean, not so that their sinfulness will destroy them, but mercifully, because this will be the only life that they will be allowed to have. Just inour present world, many wealthy non-believers life quite comfortable lives, joyful and healthy lives, while many believers are poor and have to daily struggle to survive. Some even die as the rest of the world’s poor. That expression “The life of the wicked is full of troubles” is not always the case. Sounds great, even encouraging, but not always the truth. As I had said below, I see that David, under inspiration, clearly saw and understood that fact.

Even, Spiritually speaking, as seen in our world today, the absence of deeply felt guilt for sinful practices many times does not come to affect the wicked in this life. This will only be the case in the Second Death Judgement.

Quote:
NJK: Ironically it is when/if God would reveal/show His Face to the wicked that they would be liable of immediate judgement just as Israel was whenever it acted like, and even worse than, these heathen nations “in the Face of God”. These heathens would then, like Israel has shown, not necessarily repent with this newly confronted “perception/knowledge” of God, especially if no explicit threat of judgement accompanies this revelation, but would continue to sin, now with knowledge of the Truth, and thus be duly judged. So God’s non-revelation to them, opting rather for this to be done through His People, serves to preserve the lives of these heathens. And if all fails and they never come to a saving knowledge of God and their actions and life had violated clear natural laws (i.e., last 6 commandments), then as David says, God would have “lovingly” allowed them to relatively thrive because ‘this is the only life they’ll ever be able to enjoy’ (Psa 92:7b)

Tom: I think I may agree with the last sentence here. Would you expand your thought here please?

Perhaps/probably my above statements did this expanding.

---

Don’t forget to answer Post #133507

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #133527
05/17/11 05:12 PM
05/17/11 05:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
NJK: As I explained before, I think both the 7000 years and the way in which this GC was allowed to develop where God did not defaultly abandon those who sinned against Him to their own way, but allowed them to get a saving knowledge of the Gospel, resulting in the end that all will claim the name of Christ and really only be violating the letter of a single commandment, that, what I term, a “critical mass” stage of sin will not occur at the end of these 7000 years. Perhaps if God removed all of the righteous then and left these rebellious “Christians” on earth to live ca. 3000 more years, where now they knew that they actually were not Christians/approved by God and also that they had no chance of salvation, that these will then live out a life that comes to be ‘so out of harmony with God’, i.e., deliberately violating the spirit and letter of all of the Ten Commandments, that they indeed would self-combust in the mere presence of God. As also explained before, I still see that this would become the case only if God allows this to be and this is naturally done by Him not finding any actionable element in a person upon which He can have mercy. Indeed even in the situation with Satan coming into the presence of God and “surviving”/living it was evidently because the GC issues were not yet transparently self-demonstrated, as it will even more fully be at the end of the allotted ca. 7000 years.

Tom: I couldn't follow this last paragraph.

NJK:I think it was sufficiently clear, all things considered. Take it one sentence/thought at a time. And as I said, ‘I had explained this before’. So see back e.g., in here Post #132171 (Section for DA 764.3) for more.

I don't see the same things being discussed. The other post you talked about not seeing sin as being self-destructive (you used the term "self-combustible destruction")

You say to take it one sentence at a time, but here's an example of a sentence:

Quote:
As I explained before, I think both the 7000 years and the way in which this GC was allowed to develop where God did not defaultly abandon those who sinned against Him to their own way, but allowed them to get a saving knowledge of the Gospel, resulting in the end that all will claim the name of Christ and really only be violating the letter of a single commandment, that, what I term, a “critical mass” stage of sin will not occur at the end of these 7000 years.

This is the first sentence. This should be several sentences.

Quote:
Perhaps if God removed all of the righteous then and left these rebellious “Christians” on earth to live ca. 3000 more years, where now they knew that they actually were not Christians/approved by God and also that they had no chance of salvation, that these will then live out a life that comes to be ‘so out of harmony with God’, i.e., deliberately violating the spirit and letter of all of the Ten Commandments, that they indeed would self-combust in the mere presence of God.

This is the second sentence. I don't know what you're trying to say here. This should be several sentences.

What's the single commandment you have in mind? What's the idea of critical mass you're trying to get at? What's the self-combust idea? Why would 3000 years be necessary?

Quote:
T:Regarding the above, a couple of questions come to mind. One if if you believe that God executed His Son through capital punishment.

NJK:Since Jesus did not self-combust on the Cross but died of a broken heart because God caused Him to become this “sick” (Isa 53:10) through “extreme mental anguish” (see here for more), then I believe He was “non-naturally” put to death (=Capital Punishment), let alone through the Roman’s “Capital Punishment” method of crucifixion.

I don't know where the "self-combust" idea comes from. I've never used this term, nor has anything I've quoted used the term.

I agree that Christ died of a broken heart, and this was because He took our sin upon Him. The same thing will happen to the wicked, who bear their own sin. I don't see why you would believe this would be non-naturally being put to death, or capital punishment. DA 764 describes the process:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

If it were non-natural, then the first sentence of the first paragraph would be false, and so would the rest that follows, as these are explaining that topic sentence.

The whole point is that it's not a "non-natural" process, but something that the wicked bring upon themselves by their sin. We need to be healed from sin, so that we won't die. This is what the Gospel is about; this is why we need Christ.

Quote:
T:The other question is why you see the consuming fire statements to be figurative.

NJK:I see EGW’s statement as figurative because (1) I don’t see the destruction of the wicked as depicted as such in the Bible or in the SOP in regards to the Hell Fire Judgement.

If we accept the cross as an example of what happens at the second death, then what she wrote would seem to follow. That is, what you are considering as figurative seems to be an accurate description of what one would expect to happen, given what happened to Christ at the cross.

Quote:
Indeed, as I said before (see here Post #132118 and here Post #132254), I also see EGW’s understand of what she though 2 Thess 2:8 as being out of a wrong translation.

That's extremely unlikely. Her understanding was based primarily on visions she had. She wrote:

Quote:
At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 108)

This makes clear the issue involved is a spiritual one, and not something due to an arbitrary act of power on the part of God, to use her DA 764 phrase.

The glory of God is His character. The "light" of this glory refers to revelation. The "light of the glory of God" is the revelation of His character. Note how this fits in perfectly with the next sentence:

Quote:
Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God.

Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God (aka "light of the glory of God.). "His very presence would make manifest to men their sin." This is what destroys the wicked in the end. They have no place to hide from the revelation of Christ.

Quote:
The wicked are destroyed in their first (pre-millennium) and Second Death (Hell) by active actions of God.

The active action of God is the revelation of Christ. In the description of the Great Controversy of the final judgment, she describes this revelation. DA 764 refers to this saying the "glory of Him who is love will destroy them," the "who is love" making clear this is a reference to His character (as does the previous sentence).

The issue is all along a spiritual one, having to do with character. Sin wrecks our character, which makes it impossible for us to live in God's presence. God veils His presence during this life, temporarily, as a probation, so that we can develop a character, but He cannot veil His presence forever. When He stops veiling Himself, then those who have chosen Christ will be overjoyed, while those who have chosen Satan/sin will be destroyed by the glory (character) of Him who is love.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #133530
05/17/11 11:22 PM
05/17/11 11:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:DA 764 isn't dealing with capital punishment, but with the destruction of the wicked.

NJK:As I said above, I see the final destruction as the ultimate/anti-typical “Capital Punishment” for sin, and then all and any sins, since the conclusive, though not necessarily exhaustive, self-evidence will be in/available then.

Tom: I see the cross as more of an indication as to the character of the final destruction.

NJK:I can see how your view would need this to be the sequence, but it is logically clear that Jesus endured the pain and suffering that the redeemed and the lost would have to endure in Hell at the end. So the Cross was logically a substitutionary (for the Saved) and representational (for the wicked) of that future due judgement.

Also there was no Hell Fire at the Cross. So while a mental suffering may have been undergone by Christ, a physical suffering of the Fire of Hell apparently was not effectuated.

I agree with the first paragraph, but not the second. There would be no second death without hell fire, and Christ experienced the second death on the cross. Christ exclaimed, "My heart melts like wax." God is a consuming fire to sin, which Christ experienced when He who knew no sin became sin for us.

Also, you write, "So the Cross was logically a substitutionary (for the Saved) and representational (for the wicked) of that future due judgement." It seems to me I agree with this more than you do, as I agree that the cross was representational for the wicked (also substitutionary, by the way), but I don't see how you could think so, except in some superficial way.

Quote:
NJK: Indeed since God knew that sinner can live a very long time, even eternally as sinners if their physical body/health was “therapeutically maintained” by the Tree of Life, these 7000 years, as seen in the symbology of 7 (vs. 10) is only a perfect representation/sampling of a much larger possible whole.

Tom: This looks to be a big difference we have. You appear to view sin is primarily, or only, a physical problem, where I see it as a spiritual problem. If sin were only a physical problem, then the tree of life could conceivably fix that, so I can see, given this presupposition, why you would think that a sinner could live eternally. Indeed, above, you only mention body/health as what needs to be “therapeutically maintained."

NJK:...And this is where, as I expressed before, I see that Jesus took care of the mental aspects of sins which then allows for God to excise it from the redeemed sinners psyche/mentality/mind.

Please explain what you have in mind here. What is God excising? How does this work? Why was what Christ did necessary in order for this to work?

Quote:
NJK:Something that the Tree of Life would not do. However the Tree of Life does serve to “upkeep” the new bodies that the redeemed will be given as a total replacement of the prior on (unlike one’s mind/character) by God.

The body part is trivial compared to the mind/soul/character. This should be clear.

Quote:
NJK:I base my Theology of ‘Every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God’ and not, as you opt to do, only on what fancies your view.

You are not doing anything differently than me, or anyone else here, is doing. There's nothing special about you that would make you different.

You are, of course, basing your interpretations on "what fancies your view," as you put it, just like everybody else does. Why would you think you're somehow special here?

A more charitable way of putting this is that you interpret things base on how you understand things; how you understand the world, God's character, English (or whatever language you're reading in), your understanding of other doctrines, etc. etc., all go together to form a paradigm. You understand things on the basis of your world view, your paradigm, just like everybody else. And, just like everybody else, you see to harmonize the things you read according to that paradigm.

As an example, your paradigm assigns a lesser view to EGW's writings that you disagree with if you think they are based on a poor translation, or some exegetical error, or whatever criteria you have for rejecting what she says. This is hardly an example of basing your theology on ‘Every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God’!

We should view our ideas with skepticism, examining them with an open mind, willing to adjust our thinking on the basis of evidence.

Quote:
NJK:That is indeed the one-sided/selective method that Satan tried to use to deceive Christ (Matt 4:5-7). So, once again, since the Creator God said that a sinner could live eternally, with a sinful mentality, just by eating of the Tree of Life, then my Theological View/Understanding here can’t but include this God-expressed, and thus, incontrovertible fact.

This is the same sort of argument people use to "prove" that people will suffer in hell for all eternity, because it says the smoke of their torment will rise "forever." We are counseled that God is pleased for us to use common sense in our interpretations. If we have an idea that leads to an extreme view, or a view which contradicts other teachings of Scripture, we should view our idea with skepticism.

Quote:
Anything less, even basing it on what one understands from EGW, is forming another Gospel (2 Cor 11:3-6).

No, this isn't at all Paul's idea. The Gospel isn't a sentence, but a narrative, a narrative about Christ. The Good News concerns Jesus Christ. Paul wasn't saying if you get some sentence wrong, or if you don't base your entire theology based on some quoted sentence, that was cause for being accursed, but if you preached some other Gospel than the true Gospel. And the reason for this is simple. There's only one way to be saved, which is through Jesus Christ. To teach someone that there is some other way is akin to tossing an anchor to someone who is drowning instead of a life jacked.

Quote:
Indeed the same deception principle of selective/partial/imcomplete “quoting of God” was used to deceive Eve (Gen 3:4, 5).

This isn't the issue here either. What Satan was doing was causing Eve to view God's character incorrectly, so she would doubt Him. Satan led her to think that God did not have her best interests at heart, to think that God was selfish. Satan vested God with His own attributes, which is how he obtains power, by misrepresenting God's character.

The issue is more serious than getting a sentence wrong.

Quote:
So frankly and seriously Tom, your approach of deficient Biblical exegesis, has placed you on enchantingly deceptive grounds. (Cf. 1 Tim 2:14) Indeed building a doctrine on only selective passages on a topic (like done with the teachings of Eternal Hell Torment, Eternal Soul, the Secret Rapture, etc), is tantamount to weaving a “fanstasy.” Those are just the hard facts of the matter!

It's ironic that you would give these as examples, since you're using the same basic argument they are regarding "forever." The methodology I am using is what led me to become an SDA in the first place. I used to believe the examples you gave, Eternal Hell Torment, Eternal Soul, the Secret Rapture, but no longer do. Why not? Because I was interested in knowing the truth, and willing learn it. When I saw that the Adventist teachings brought out a view God's character more in harmony with what I perceived in Scripture and Jesus Christ, I embraced it. If you presented a better view of God's character than what I currently hold, I would embrace that as well, by the grace of God.

Do you find the point of view you hold in regards to God's character to be appealing? Or merely accurate? Do you even care if it's appealing? If you do find it appealing, what do you find appealing about it (other than being accurate)?

Quote:
The operative action/development in this SOP quote is ‘bringing that so-out-of-harmony’ sinner into the immediate presence of God and Godly things. However, as I said, God could easily made it that sinners never be subjected to this.

Not without setting up an artificial environment, where God's glory did not exist.

Quote:
NJK:Indeed just like humans in this world live apart from God’s presence.

This is an artificial situation, a world full of sin. This isn't a viable world for eternity. Already creation groans under the weight of sin.

Quote:
So the fact that God has to make it that the sinner come into His presence to suffer this automatic destruction when it is actually feasible

Why would God have to do anything? DA 764 tells us that the wicked form characters so out of harmony with God that His mere presence is to them a consuming fire. The whole point of the paragraph is that God is NOT doing anything to make the sinner suffer.

Quote:
(i.e., in a critical mass type of way)

Meaning?

Quote:
involves an active action of God either in going to where the sinner (on Earth = Second Coming) is or making the sinner come to where He is (in Heaven/Post Millennium Destruction in sight of the New Jerusalem).

This is a spiritual issue having to do with the revelation of truth. As long as God veils His glory (i.e., does not reveal the truth about Himself, about His character), then sinners can temporarily exist. But that's just a temporary thing, so they have a chance to make choices in regards to their character. (More later)

Page 93 of 105 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/28/24 02:30 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!