HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: "All need to understand the Process of Conversion." FLB 139. #13411
05/02/05 06:34 PM
05/02/05 06:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The statements you presented say only positive things about Job. They seem to agree with the point I was making, so I'm missing your point.

Re: "All need to understand the Process of Conversion." FLB 139. #13412
05/02/05 08:13 PM
05/02/05 08:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
No, Tom, those quotes totally contradict what you said about Job. You said Job held God accountable for what happened to his children and flocks because he was ignorant of the existence and machinations of Satan. In contrast to this opinion, Sister White also praised God for the death of her children, and she encouraged another to do the same. God takes credit for what He causes Himself and for what He allows others to do for Him.

Re: "All need to understand the Process of Conversion." FLB 139. #13413
05/02/05 09:53 PM
05/02/05 09:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't think that's what I said. I think what I said is that one should not be harsh in judging Job because he didn't know about Satan. I'm just about certain that's what I said, as that's what I think.

You seem to have an inordinately difficult time in expressing what I think. Why don't you do what I've suggested a number of times, and simply quote what I say? That would obviate the difficulty you have in paraphrasing my thoughts.

At any rate, if I said what you say I did, please show me where I said that. I don't think I've said anything along the lines of what you said I did.

Re: "All need to understand the Process of Conversion." FLB 139. #13414
05/03/05 02:30 AM
05/03/05 02:30 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Here's a short history leading up to my last post:

quote:
Tom - Given that Job did not know of Satan's existence, I don't think we should judge Job harshly. Given what Job knew, how else could he have thought?

Mike - Tom, if, as you say, Job ignorantly held God accountable for what happened to him, then was he guilty of sin? a sin of ignorance? Was he guilty of a defective trait of character? Or, should we imitate his example? [I quoted several SOP passages]

Tom - The statements you presented say only positive things about Job. They seem to agree with the point I was making, so I'm missing your point.

Tom, please help me translate this exchange of ideas. Thank you.

Re: "All need to understand the Process of Conversion." FLB 139. #13415
05/03/05 05:24 AM
05/03/05 05:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Well I'm missing yours too, so I guess we're even.

I think your point is that Job held God responsible for what was happening, and that's a good thing. Is that it? We should hold God accountable for the evil that happens in the world? Or am I misunderstanding you?

You seem to think I said something negative against Job, at least that how it appeared to me. I'm not aware that I said anything against Job.

Job obviously was in error in thinking that God was harming him, but since he didn't know of Satan's existence, what else could he have thought? His attitude, "though He slay me, yet will I trust Him" was admirable, and the best he could have, given what he knew.

This seems to be getting quite of the subject of the thread, the process of salvation. If you want to open a thread regarding what our attitude should be when bad things happen to us, that might be an interesting thing to pursue.

Or if you want to open one regarding whether we should hold God responsible for the evil in the world, that would OK too.

Re: "All need to understand the Process of Conversion." FLB 139. #13416
05/03/05 02:32 PM
05/03/05 02:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Responsible? Accountable? Yes! God gets the credit for causing or permitting anything and everything that happens on earth to humans. He is in control, not sin, not self, not Satan. It is our duty and privilege to praise and thank God "in" and "for" everyhting that happens - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ellen White, who knew all about Satan, repeated the words of Job when her children died untimely deaths. She gave God the credit, not Satan. Was she in error, too?

Ephesians
5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

1 Thessalonians
5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Re: "All need to understand the Process of Conversion." FLB 139. #13417
05/04/05 03:03 AM
05/04/05 03:03 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Okay, getting back to the "process of conversion", again. According to the Steps to Christ quotes posted below Jesus reveals all of our defects of character with one ray of the glory of God, one ray of His purity. Of course, this happens during the process of conversion, before we experience the miracle of rebirth.

This insight, therefore, makes it clear that there are no hidden flaws, no secret sins, that escape God's notice, nothing that Jesus doesn't reveal to us. Everything is exposed. But, and more importantly, everything is exposed and revealed in the context of the cross. Any defect we refuse to confess and forsake, at this critical point in the process of conversion, stalls the process and we remain unconverted.

But if we did not resist the love of God, if we cooperate with the agencies of heaven, if we confess and forsake all of the defects revealed to us during the process of conversion, then, and only then, do we experience the initial miracle of rebirth. We are born again dead to sin and awake to Christ and His righteousness. We are new creatures in Christ. God implants within us the mind of the new man, which comes complete with all the fruits and righteous attributes of God's character. Not one is missing.

Now, as newborn babes in Christ, we must continue to cooperate with the Holy Spirit, moment by moment, and, as we walk in the Spirit and mind of the new man, we grow in grace and mature in the fruits of the Spirit - from glory to glory, from faith to faith. Connected to Christ, abiding in Him, we do not and cannot commit a sin according to our former defects and imperfections. To sin, we must take our eyes off Jesus, disconnect from Him, stop abiding in Him, cease walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man - and then all we can do is sin. But repentance restores the relationship our sin severed.

SC 29
One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. {SC 29.1}

SC 33
Every act of transgression, every neglect or rejection of the grace of Christ, is reacting upon yourself; it is hardening the heart, depraving the will, benumbing the understanding, and not only making you less inclined to yield, but less capable of yielding, to the tender pleading of God's Holy Spirit. {SC 33.2}

SC 34
Christ is ready to set us free from sin, but He does not force the will; and if by persistent transgression the will itself is wholly bent on evil, and we do not desire to be set free, if we will not accept His grace, what more can He do? We have destroyed ourselves by our determined rejection of His love. "Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation." "Today if ye will hear His voice, harden not your hearts." 2 Corinthians 6:2; Hebrews 3:7, 8. {SC 34.2}

Re: "All need to understand the Process of Conversion." FLB 139. #13418
05/03/05 06:30 PM
05/03/05 06:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Responsible? Accountable? Yes! God gets the credit for causing or permitting anything and everything that happens on earth to humans. He is in control, not sin, not self, not Satan.
You seem to equate "in conrol" with what is God's ideal or primary will. No one doubt that God is in control, but He has created beings with free will who have the capacity, and have exercised that capacity, to act contrary to His will. For example, it is not God's will that people experience the pain, misery and death which sin causes, yet that happens. God did not intend that Adam and Eve should eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, yet they did.

It is Satan who is the author of sin and death, not God.

Re: "All need to understand the Process of Conversion." FLB 139. #13419
05/03/05 06:35 PM
05/03/05 06:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Is it a sin to view God's character in a false light, and to speak of it in a false way?

Re: "All need to understand the Process of Conversion." FLB 139. #13420
05/03/05 09:42 PM
05/03/05 09:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, of course it wasn't God's will for mankind to sin and suffer the consequences. By the way, the wages of sin is death, instant death, not a long life of pain and suffering. The plan of salvation postponed the real wages of sin. What we experience now when we sin isn't anything like the wages of sin. God overruled the wages of sin when Jesus became the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. The long, lingering death we die, which basically begins the moment we are born of the flesh, is not the wages of sin.

Since instant and immediate death (i.e., the second and eternal death) is the wages of sin, and not disease, destruction, and temporal death, what, then, is the origin and source of the terrible things that happen to us when we sin, or as we live in a sinful world? Remember, God didn’t promise Adam and Eve a long, lingering, slow, painful, temporal death when He warned them not to eat the forbidden fruit. He promised them immediate death.

In other words, God introduced a situation where, instead of an immediate eternal death, mankind now lives a slow death, full of pain and sadness and suffering, with mixed moments of joy and happiness, but eventually ending in a temporal death - and the promise of a resurrection. So, who made it all possible? Is a life of suffering part of the plan?

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!