HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Green Cochoa] #133567
05/19/11 05:09 PM
05/19/11 05:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: JAK
I posted three texts that clearly say it's okay. Would you like to comment on the other two?

1 Tim 5:23 refers to grape juice. And, Prov 31:6 and Deut 14:26 cannot refer to alcohol because God clearly prohibits it elsewhere. He does not contradict Himself.

Quote:
J: Yes, the context is in regard to tithe, however it is clearly stated that the Israelite should "eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household," So, tithe or no tithe, it is stated that our man drinks the "strong drink." And not just drink, but "rejoice."

Whatever the “strong drink” was, it did not, as you and I both agree, result in drunkenness. If it was alcoholic, then the priests and the people must necessarily have consumed miniscule portions (one or two sips) every other hour or so because otherwise it would have resulted in drunkenness. However, God clearly told priests not to drink alcohol. And, since tithe was for the priests, it seems unreasonable to conclude the passage in Deut 14:26 is referring to alcohol.

Quote:
M: Also, please consider the following arguments against the view you hold:

J: First, it is the argument I am making, not the view I hold. Second, I argue from Scripture, not Elllen White.

If God spoke through Ellen White through the gift and spirit of prophecy, the same as He did through people like John and Paul, then you are treading on dangerous ground in dismissing what God told her about alcohol.

What do you mean by “it is the argument I am making, not the view I hold”? The view Ellen argued is God categorically prohibits drinking alcohol.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #133577
05/20/11 12:23 AM
05/20/11 12:23 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Mike,

Honestly, what is an honest Christian supposed to do with contradictions between Ellen White and the Bible? Which one, the Bible or her writings, should we place first? Which should be our primary guide? Can we reconcile the two always?

Several of the Bible's "gray" issues are anything but gray to Mrs. White. What do we do with the change in perspective? Do we say it is "no longer" acceptable, but that in Bible times it was?

Mrs. White, however, argues with the Bible itself. For example, the issue of polygamy (and I use this to illustrate because it does not carry the same potential for the "error in translation" argument, i.e. the meaning of the Greek/Hebrew words).

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The Lord said of Noah and his family who were saved in the ark, "For thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation." Noah had but one wife; and their united family discipline was blessed of God. Because Noah's sons were righteous, they were preserved in the ark with their righteous father. God has not sanctioned polygamy in a single instance. It was contrary to his will. He knew that the happiness of man would be destroyed by it. Abraham's peace was greatly marred by his unhappy marriage with Hagar. {1SP 94.1}

Now for the Bible's take on it:

Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible
If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her. (Deuteronomy 25:5)

If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish. (Exodus 21:10)

And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things. (2 Samuel 12:7-8)

The Bible clearly permitted, even commanded in certain cases, polygamy. I think I have seen you speak to this same issue yourself, Mike. It was never ideal. But it was permitted. The same is true of meat eating. If meat eating were not given originally in the Garden of Eden, and was therefore a sin, why would God later permit it, and even command it (passover lamb)? Ellen White argues that because Adam was given just one wife, it was always contrary to the law of God to have more than one. But in Exodus, God gives specific command regarding the treatment of plural wives. Why would God command something sinful? Why would there not be a specification to the command given concerning a widow marrying a brother-in-law...that he must be single, else she could not marry him?

The same discrepancies between Ellen White and the Bible on the issue of polygamy can be seen on the issue of wine.

I'm with Elle here. I would like someone to explain the Bible's meaning, without trying to twist the Bible's actual words to something they do not say. Prov. 31 is relatively clear. So is Deut. 14. Find me an answer which fits the written Word, rather than one which merely fits a conservative opinion.

I've been rather careful to obey my whole life. I would like to see an interpretation that would place the Bible in the best light possible. But I simply cannot accept that one must rewrite the Bible passages, twist them to make them say something they clearly do not, nor wave away as being of small consequence these seeming contradictions to conservative belief. We must be honest and diligent in our handling of the Word of God. We must not try to force it into a mold of our own making, as if we knew better than it does what it should say, or what was meant. We need to use the Bible to interpret itself, while laying aside our own preconceptions. This is the approach I have tried to take, and it does not always lead to comfortable conservativism.

For the record, I believe some things which were permitted in the past are no longer permitted. To say that they never were permissible, however, is simply not faithful to the original text.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Green Cochoa] #133583
05/20/11 02:38 AM
05/20/11 02:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC:

This is what EGW says regarding David and polygamy:

Quote:
David afterward married Abigail. This was not according to the original plan of God; it was in direct opposition to his design, that a man should have more than one wife. David was already the husband of Ahinoam. The gospel condemns the practice of polygamy. The custom of the nations of David’s time had perverted his judgment and influenced his actions. Great men have erred greatly in following the practices of the world. The study of everyone should be to know what is the will of God and what saith the word of the Lord. The bitter result of this practice of marrying many wives was permitted to be sorely felt throughout all the life of David. {ST October 26, 1888, par. 15}

Your quote from Scripture:

Quote:
And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things. (2 Samuel 12:7-8)

Where's the contradiction you're seeing here?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Tom] #133584
05/20/11 02:52 AM
05/20/11 02:52 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: GC
Find me an answer which fits the written Word, rather than one which merely fits a conservative opinion.

This is definitely going to be one of my favorite quotes.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: JAK] #133585
05/20/11 06:27 AM
05/20/11 06:27 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

In that quote, "And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom," God is telling David He gave him his wives. I have asked a pastor who studied Hebrew if Hebrew has plurals, and indeed it does. (Some languages do not have plural forms, so translators must make some assumptions or take contextual cues.) God said "wives." "Every good gift, and every perfect gift, is from above..." "Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD." David certainly was favored of the Lord.

Ellen White talks as though David was in great error with his polygamy, and she makes it sound as though David himself should have known better. Maybe so. There is one command in the Levitical laws which prohibited kings from multiplying wives to themselves, lest they be drawn astray by them. Solomon exemplified this well. But David stayed faithful to God for the most part. He had his shortcomings, but there seems little indication that it was ever his wives which influenced him. On the contrary, David seemed to have his wives under his direction (e.g. the story of Michal).

But God never once, in the record which we have, rebuked David for his polygamy. He did rebuke David for stealing Bathsheba from Uriah. But God never rebukes David for marrying Abigail (a widow at that time), nor is there a rebuke given for any of the other wives of David. If one is to believe Mrs. White, however, David should have been thoroughly reproved and corrected for this.

Coming down to brass tacks here, there is no text in all of scripture which forbids polygamy outright. There are texts which say elders and deacons should have only one wife. There are stories which portray the strife of homes with more than one wife. But we do not have any "thus saith the Lord, 'Thou shalt have one wife, and one wife only.'" Not even close.

The same is true of alcohol. There are texts which say it is not wise. There are texts which advise against it for various reasons. But there is no text in all of scripture that forbids its use outright, nor declares it a sin. In fact, we have a number of texts which permit the use of strong drink, though not to the priesthood, nor for kings.

Nadab and Abihu were not struck down as a direct consequence of having been drunken. It was not until they brought strange fire into the tabernacle (which we must suppose would not have happened had they been sober), that the Lord struck them dead by fire. Nor did God expressly forbid the alcohol to all of the priests and Levites until after that event.

Here is the story, from Leviticus.
Originally Posted By: The Bible
10:1 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not.
10:2 And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.
10:3 Then Moses said unto Aaron, This [is it] that the LORD spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace.
10:4 And Moses called Mishael and Elzaphan, the sons of Uzziel the uncle of Aaron, and said unto them, Come near, carry your brethren from before the sanctuary out of the camp.
10:5 So they went near, and carried them in their coats out of the camp; as Moses had said.
10:6 And Moses said unto Aaron, and unto Eleazar and unto Ithamar, his sons, Uncover not your heads, neither rend your clothes; lest ye die, and lest wrath come upon all the people: but let your brethren, the whole house of Israel, bewail the burning which the LORD hath kindled.
10:7 And ye shall not go out from the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: for the anointing oil of the LORD [is] upon you. And they did according to the word of Moses.
10:8 And the LORD spake unto Aaron, saying,
10:9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: [it shall be] a statute for ever throughout your generations:
10:10 And that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean;
10:11 And that ye may teach the children of Israel all the statutes which the LORD hath spoken unto them by the hand of Moses.

The offense for which they died is clearly the "strange fire" in their censers. In fact, according to this particular record, the only indication we have of their drunkenness is the command which Aaron is given afterwards. This would have been a golden opportunity for God to give the prohibition against alcohol to ALL of the camp. But, seemingly against all reason, God gives this prohibition only to the sons of Aaron. Why? Every good Bible scholar must ask this question. God does nothing without a reason. There must be a lesson in this for us.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Green Cochoa] #133603
05/20/11 04:48 PM
05/20/11 04:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: GC
For the record, I believe some things which were permitted in the past are no longer permitted. To say that they never were permissible, however, is simply not faithful to the original text.

I agree. However, we both agree "drunkenness" was never permitted. Therefore, whatever the Bible said about consuming "wine" and "strong drink" it clearly did not permit "drunkenness". Which begs the question - What counts as "drunkenness"? Jesus refused even a sip of alcohol. I believe it was because He knew that even a sip would have caused "drunkenness", that is, it would have impaired His moral judgment and resolve. How much "wine" and "strong drink", therefore, can we get away with drinking without impairing our moral judgment and resolve? I would say - Not more than a sip.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #133610
05/20/11 08:15 PM
05/20/11 08:15 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I agree. However, we both agree "drunkenness" was never permitted.

I disagree. Excessive, chronic, drunkenness was never permitted. Occasional innebriation as a result of a celebration of some sort such as a wedding or a victory was acceptable.

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Jesus refused even a sip of alcohol.

Wrong again. Check Matthew 11:18, 19. Jesus clearly says he "came eating and drinking" and they called him"...a glutton and a drunkard." Certainly Jesus refused the "wine vinegar" offered to him on the cross; his reason for refusing is not stated.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: JAK] #133613
05/20/11 08:48 PM
05/20/11 08:48 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Mike,

How drunk does one have to be in order to "remember his misery no more?"

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more. (Proverbs 31:6-7)

I've never been drunk, so I would not know. But it occurs to me that the first sip might not suffice.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Green Cochoa] #133614
05/20/11 08:56 PM
05/20/11 08:56 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Green Cochoa] #133622
05/20/11 10:46 PM
05/20/11 10:46 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Can we reconcile the two always?

If we can't, then they don't come from the same source.

Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!