HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 30 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 29 30
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Rosangela] #133665
05/21/11 09:57 PM
05/21/11 09:57 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
If it were a sin to take a second wife, why would God say "if he take him another wife...?" If it were a sin, God should have said instead, "he must not take another wife within her lifetime..." or something to that effect. God would never have been "permissive" of sin, to give a law like that allowing sin.

This, in itself, proves that polygamy was not so heinous as some might see it.

Let me rewrite what you said:
If it were a sin to divorce, why would God say, "When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some uncleanness in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce..." (Dt 24:1)? If it were a sin, God should have said instead, "he must not divorce his wife..." or something to that effect. God would never have been "permissive" of sin, to give a law like that allowing sin.
This, in itself, proves that divorce was not so heinous as some might see it.

Is that your logic? But if divorce is not heinous, adultery is not heinous.
"But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery."

The same is true about slavery. But I won't rewrite it again. I think you understood my point.

Rosangela, I'll try and answer this before I get back to Mike's questions.

Do you think it was a sin to divorce? I know God says He gave them the law of divorce because of the hardness of their hearts, but does that make it a "sin"? If so, is that not the same thing as what I was saying about polygamy? Indeed, I think you are proving my point more than disproving.

Divorce may be another of those "gray areas" in the Bible. It was allowed under some circumstances, chiefly in cases of adultery. The "uncleanness" which the new groom might find in his bride that would cause him to put her away, just as in the case of Joseph in the New Testament who was minded to do this for Mary when she had become pregnant out of wedlock, very probably refers to adultery. In such cases, divorce was allowed "because of the hardness of your hearts." Without adultery, if the husband put away his wife, he caused her to commit adultery--and this was sin. That's where the line was drawn. If the wife had committed adultery, it was not a sin to divorce her.

The same was true of the "polygamy" situation which God had commanded. It was the death of a spouse which made it necessary. (If she married her brother-in-law before her husband died, it would be adultery.) Quite frankly, polygamy in such cases could hardly have been desirable. How many men do you know that would be eager to marry their sisters-in-law? Ugh! There's usually enough animosity among the in-laws without such additional provocation!

Now, since you haven't proven that divorce, under the law, was a sin, I think you cannot use it to show that polygamy would be a sin under the law.

If we were to change your example, let's say to adultery, like this:

If it were a sin to commit adultery (per seventh commandment), why would God say, "When a man commits adultery with his neighbor's wife, and it happens that she bears him no children..." !!! If it were a sin, God should have said instead, "he must not commit adultery..." or something to that effect. (EXACTLY what God did do in this case.) God would never have been "permissive" of sin, to give a law like that allowing sin.

As adultery was defined as sin, this proves that God would not give such a law allowing it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #133669
05/21/11 10:34 PM
05/21/11 10:34 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
GC, do you agree with JAK that God permitted "drunkenness" on special occasions?

And, do you agree with him that Jesus occasionally experienced "drunkenness"?

Also, concerning the two texts which appear to recommend "wine" and "strong drink" in specific instances, do you think God is recommending "drunkenness"?

Finally, what do you make of all passages in the Bible and the SOP which explicitly prohibit "wine" and "strong drink" and "drunkenness"? Do they contradict the other two passages you posted?

Regarding your last questions here, Mike, I don't know that I have all of the answers myself. This is an area of interest and of study, but I cannot claimed to have "arrived" at full understanding. What I do see here are some general "rules" which God lays out that distinguish between separate groups of people. Let me give some examples to help you see what I'm looking at here.

1) Levites could not marry a widow, a divorcee, nor an harlot--only a virgin. Members of other tribes were still free to marry someone of any of these categories.

2) Levites were prohibited from drinking strong drink. Other tribes were not given this prohibition.

3) God's people were not to eat animals which died of themselves, etc. God allowed for the Israelites to give away or sell such meats to those of surrounding nations.
Originally Posted By: The Bible
Ye shall not eat of any thing that dieth of itself: thou shalt give it unto the stranger that is in thy gates, that he may eat it; or thou mayest sell it unto an alien: for thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God. (Deuteronomy 14:21)

4) Kings and princes were not to drink strong drink, but no prohibition is given generally to the lower classes (Prov. 31:6-7).

5) God's people should have been happy with manna, but God gave them quails at their request...and the following is recorded of this:
Originally Posted By: The Bible
They soon forgat his works; they waited not for his counsel: But lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, and tempted God in the desert. And he gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul. (Psalm 106:13-15)

The "general" picture I have of all of this, is that God strives to teach us a better way, but He is patient with us in our understanding and acceptance of it. There are certain things in which God has laid out a very clear law, and there are other areas, of more minor significance perhaps, where He seems more permissive of us in making our own choices. He gives us the truth, hoping we'll be happy to soak it all in, but He knows we are slow, and thick-headed, and would not be able to learn it all at once. Even Jesus did not speak all that He must have wished He could, for He knew they were not ready to accept it.

I see the Bible as allowing alcohol for those who simply aren't ready to accept a better way, while at the same time accurately portraying the harm it can cause.

This might be similar to having one of our schools serve potato chips and twinkies in the cafeteria while at the same time teaching about the ill effects of such in the students' health class.

Having said that, it is questionable whether or not the use of alcohol would be sinful, and I think it would much depend upon one's level of spiritual understanding. For a well-educated individual like myself, I believe it would be sin to use strong drink. For someone else, even a Christian, it may not be. Thankfully our merciful God is the Judge, and not any of us.

As I see alcohol as a "gray area" by design, I do not see any contradiction in the Bible about it. God clearly portrays its evils, while still permitting its use to certain classes of people. Others are prohibited from using it. God does not expect people to obey without understanding, and He holds each accountable for what they understand.

I do not see any of the Bible's "gray areas" to be such on account of neglect or carelessness. God has allowed some things to be "gray" by design, for His own wise purposes.

As I have here poured out my deepest thoughts on this matter, I hope to find some understanding for it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Green Cochoa] #133674
05/21/11 11:25 PM
05/21/11 11:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, again, as always, thank you for sharing. As you know, I value your thoughts. In cases of so-called "grey areas" I think we have an advantage in the Spirit of Prophecy. God has not left us in darkness to wonder what He meant by what He said in the Bible about alcohol and drunkenness. We can ignore or dismiss what He plainly told us about it through the SOP and continue to treat it as a "grey area" or we can accept what He said about it through the SOP and rejoice in the truth. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying this as a personal rebuke against you. But God really did settle the question about alcohol and drunkenness many years ago through the SOP. I'm surprised people are still unclear about it. God could not have stated the matter more clearly than He did through the SOP.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #133676
05/21/11 11:30 PM
05/21/11 11:30 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
GC, again, as always, thank you for sharing. As you know, I value your thoughts. In cases of so-called "grey areas" I think we have an advantage in the Spirit of Prophecy. God has not left us in darkness to wonder what He meant by what He said in the Bible about alcohol and drunkenness. We can ignore or dismiss what He plainly told us about it through the SOP and continue to treat it as a "grey area" or we can accept what He said about it through the SOP and rejoice in the truth. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying this as a personal rebuke against you. But God really did settle the question about alcohol and drunkenness many years ago through the SOP. I'm surprised people are still unclear about it. God could not have stated the matter more clearly than He did through the SOP.

Mike, The Bible IS the Spirit of Prophecy. Light grows. The inspired words we have today cover more ground and give more clarity to what was ever given in the past. Thus, our accountability for the light we have been given is also increased. We are held to a higher standard. The new messages do not change the old ones, however. They may clarify them in some cases, but just as often they raise the standard from what has been given prior. Such is the case, as I see it, with alcohol.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #133680
05/22/11 01:47 AM
05/22/11 01:47 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
And, do you agree with him that Jesus occasionally experienced "drunkenness"?

Once again you twist your opponents words. I did not say Jesus experienced drunkenness, only that he (possibly, when compared with J the B) drank.

Also, concerning the two texts which appear to recommend "wine" and "strong drink" in specific instances, do you think God is recommending "drunkenness"?
Nor have I ever said that God recommends drunkenness. To allow or permit is not the same as recommending.

Finally, what do you make of all passages in the Bible and the SOP which explicitly prohibit "wine" and "strong drink" and "drunkenness"? Do they contradict the other two passages you posted?

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but there are no passages in the Bible which "explicitly prohibit" alcohol.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: JAK] #133682
05/22/11 03:03 AM
05/22/11 03:03 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: GC
Mike, The Bible IS the Spirit of Prophecy. Light grows. The inspired words we have today cover more ground and give more clarity to what was ever given in the past. Thus, our accountability for the light we have been given is also increased. We are held to a higher standard. The new messages do not change the old ones, however. They may clarify them in some cases, but just as often they raise the standard from what has been given prior. Such is the case, as I see it, with alcohol.

But is that how Ellen stated it? Didn't she say God never condoned it, tolerated it, or recommended it?

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #133683
05/22/11 03:16 AM
05/22/11 03:16 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Mike,

As I have noticed in other studies involving Mrs. White's writings, she had a tendency to write in absolute terms, a bit like many people do today who are not meticulous wordsmiths, and who speak with some feeling. Statements like "You never take out the garbage!" (When in actual fact, perhaps the person does take out the garbage, just not very often.)

I guess, I would have to ask you straightforwardly, have you ever followed the counsel of Prov. 31:6-7? If not, why not? And more to the point, do you believe those words were inspired and should be part of the Bible? Do you have, instead, some other way of interpreting them that would reverse what appears to be their clear intent in such a way as to make those words agree with what Mrs. White says?

Please share.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Rosangela] #133684
05/22/11 03:25 AM
05/22/11 03:25 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: JAK
M: And, do you agree with him that Jesus occasionally experienced "drunkenness"?

J: Once again you twist your opponents words. I did not say Jesus experienced drunkenness, only that he (possibly, when compared with J the B) drank.

Do you suspect Jesus got drunk or mildly tipsy celebrating with other Jews as you suggested for Deut 14:26? You wrote, “Jesus clearly says he ‘came eating and drinking’ and they called him’... a glutton and a drunkard.’"

Quote:
M: Also, concerning the two texts which appear to recommend "wine" and "strong drink" in specific instances, do you think God is recommending "drunkenness"?

J: Nor have I ever said that God recommends drunkenness. To allow or permit is not the same as recommending.

Didn't you suggest Deut 14:26 and Prov 31:6,7 recommends drunkenness? You wrote, “Occasional innebriation as a result of a celebration of some sort such as a wedding or a victory was acceptable.”

Quote:
M: Finally, what do you make of all passages in the Bible and the SOP which explicitly prohibit "wine" and "strong drink" and "drunkenness"? Do they contradict the other two passages you posted?

J: Sorry to keep bringing this up, but there are no passages in the Bible which "explicitly prohibit" alcohol.

What about the ones that do? For example:

Quote:
Lev
10:9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: [it shall be] a statute for ever throughout your generations:

Num
6:3 He shall separate [himself] from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.

Deut
29:6 Ye have not eaten bread, neither have ye drunk wine or strong drink: that ye might know that I [am] the LORD your God.

Judges
13:13 And the angel of the LORD said unto Manoah, Of all that I said unto the woman let her beware.
13:14 She may not eat of any [thing] that cometh of the vine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, nor eat any unclean [thing]: all that I commanded her let her observe.

Prov
20:1 Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
31:4 [It is] not for kings, O Lemuel, [it is] not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
31:5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

Isa
5:22 Woe unto [them that are] mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:

Luke
1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Green Cochoa] #133685
05/22/11 03:37 AM
05/22/11 03:37 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Mike,

As I have noticed in other studies involving Mrs. White's writings, she had a tendency to write in absolute terms, a bit like many people do today who are not meticulous wordsmiths, and who speak with some feeling. Statements like "You never take out the garbage!" (When in actual fact, perhaps the person does take out the garbage, just not very often.)

I guess, I would have to ask you straightforwardly, have you ever followed the counsel of Prov. 31:6-7? If not, why not? And more to the point, do you believe those words were inspired and should be part of the Bible? Do you have, instead, some other way of interpreting them that would reverse what appears to be their clear intent in such a way as to make those words agree with what Mrs. White says?

Please share.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

I guess I am more inclined to believe such emphatic statements against alcohol and drunkenness make clear the point rather than dilute it or make them suspects of hyperbole.

Regarding Prov 31:6,7 it's difficult to ignore verses 4 and 5 which explicitly prohibit alcohol and drunkenness. Also, it is difficult to imagine the ideal, virtuous woman passages that follow in the context of alcohol and drunkenness. Given the overwhelming weight of evidence against alcohol and drunkenness I suspect verses 6 and 7 should be taken metaphorically or euphemistically. I see no reason to take them literally. The worst advice you can a guy down on his luck is to tell him, Get drunk and forget about it. The truth is getting drunk only compounds the problems. It doesn't make them go away or cause a guy to forget them. Such advice is stupid at best and insensitive at worst.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #133686
05/22/11 03:56 AM
05/22/11 03:56 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
So, it sounds like you would be willing to take the Bible as being "euphemistic," but would be unwilling to view Mrs. White's writings in that same manner, is that what I'm understanding?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 13 of 30 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 29 30

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!