HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,202 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 33 34
Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: His child] #135750
08/26/11 04:16 PM
08/26/11 04:16 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I was reading chapter 3 of Last Day Events this morning, and would like to post some statements made by EGW which can be found there:

We are not to know the definite time either for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit or for the coming of Christ.... Why has not God given us this knowledge?—Because we would not make a right use of it if He did. A condition of things would result from this knowledge among our people that would greatly retard the work of God in preparing a people to stand in the great day that is to come. We are not to live upon time excitement.... You will not be able to say that He will come in one, two, or five years, neither are you to put off His coming by stating that it may not be for ten or twenty years. — The Review and Herald, March 22, 1892.

God gives no man a message that it will be five years or ten years or twenty years before this earth’s history shall close. He would not give any living being an excuse for delaying the preparation for His appearing. He would have no one say, as did the unfaithful servant, “My lord delayeth his coming,” for this leads to reckless neglect of the opportunities and privileges given to prepare us for that great day. — The Review and Herald, November 27, 1900.

I plainly stated at the Jackson camp meeting to these fanatical parties that they were doing the work of the adversary of souls; they were in darkness. They claimed to have great light that probation would close in October, 1884. I there stated in public that the Lord had been pleased to show me that there would be no definite time in the message given of God since 1844. — Selected Messages 2:73 (1885).

Our position has been one of waiting and watching, with no time-proclamation to intervene between the close of the prophetic periods in 1844 and the time of our Lord’s coming. — Manuscript Releases 10:270 (1888).

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Rosangela] #135814
08/30/11 02:18 AM
08/30/11 02:18 AM
His child  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020
Very Dedicated Member
TN, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
I was reading chapter 3 of Last Day Events this morning, and would like to post some statements made by EGW which can be found there:

We are not to know the definite time either for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit or for the coming of Christ.... Why has not God given us this knowledge?—Because we would not make a right use of it if He did. A condition of things would result from this knowledge among our people that would greatly retard the work of God in preparing a people to stand in the great day that is to come. We are not to live upon time excitement.... You will not be able to say that He will come in one, two, or five years, neither are you to put off His coming by stating that it may not be for ten or twenty years. — The Review and Herald, March 22, 1892.

This message was given in 1892 specifically about an individual who was time setting. That statement is taken out of context if applied to specifics that God has revealed after 1892. The gist of this discussion has been not to set a time for Christ's Advent but to urge His professed followers that it is time for the 3rd Angel's message to go forth in full power because it is time for the Mark of the beast to appear and do its work that is not dependent on time. Thus to misunderstand EGW's counsel on time setting and to misapply it too this message is to say that the Lord delayeth His coming. It is to cry peace and safety and greatly retard the work of God when sudden destruction is at hand.

God gives no man a message that it will be five years or ten years or twenty years before this earth’s history shall close. He would not give any living being an excuse for delaying the preparation for His appearing. He would have no one say, as did the unfaithful servant, “My lord delayeth his coming,” for this leads to reckless neglect of the opportunities and privileges given to prepare us for that great day. — The Review and Herald, November 27, 1900.

God forbid that anyone reading these mismatched quotes should put off Christ's Coming for 5, 10, or even 20-years:

Originally Posted By: EGW
Those who behold the promised signs are to "know that it is near, even at the door." "Watch ye therefore," are his words of admonition. "If thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief." {4SP 38.1}

I plainly stated at the Jackson camp meeting to these fanatical parties that they were doing the work of the adversary of souls; they were in darkness. They claimed to have great light that probation would close in October, 1884. I there stated in public that the Lord had been pleased to show me that there would be no definite time in the message given of God since 1844. — Selected Messages 2:73 (1885).

The term "definite time" as EGW uses it is in the context of "definite time of Christ's Advent." There are 15 links found to definite time and 1844 that clarify that.
The quote that you found is an earlier quote than the 1892 quote above. But in this quote EGW was giving the same message here that she repeated in 1892.

Our position has been one of waiting and watching, with no time-proclamation to intervene between the close of the prophetic periods in 1844 and the time of our Lord’s coming. — Manuscript Releases 10:270 (1888).

This is a quote commonly taken out of context by SDA's. Please read the first three posts on this topic. It is clear that Our Position is that prophetic time refers specifically to the day and hour of Christ's Advent. But the world lumps all prophetic time together. so Our Position is specific and the world's is general. There are specific instances of time prophecy in Scripture and the Spirit of prophecy that transpire after 1844 but that so not give the day and hour of Christ's Advent.

Thank you for trying to help clarify things, but thus far the quotes that you recycled don't disagree with the points already made when viewed in their proper context.

Christian Regards,
[/quote]

"Ignorance is sin, when knowledge can be obtained" (HR, September 1, 1866 par. 3). www.loudcry101.com
Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: His child] #135817
08/30/11 07:33 PM
08/30/11 07:33 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Quote:

This is a quote commonly taken out of context by SDA's. Please read the first three posts on this topic. It is clear that Our Position is that prophetic time refers specifically to the day and hour of Christ's Advent.

What EGW says is that "the prophetic periods" closed in 1844 - all of them, and that, after that, no time-proclamation should intervene until the Lord's coming.

She repeats this idea in other passages:

As the disciples went out preaching, “The time is fulfilled, the kingdom of God is at hand,” so Miller and his associates proclaimed that the longest and last prophetic period brought to view in the Bible was about to expire, that the Judgment was at hand, and the everlasting kingdom was to be ushered in (GC 351.1).

This time, which the Angel declares with a solemn oath, is not the end of this world’s history, neither of probationary time, but of prophetic time, which would precede the advent of our Lord. That is, the people will not have another message upon definite time. After this period of time, reaching from 1842 to 1844, there can be no definite tracing of the prophetic time. The longest reckoning reaches to the autumn of 1844. {CTr 344.5}

The idea is repeatedly emphasized - there is no prophetic period to be fulfilled after 1844. She says that "there should be time no longer" refers not to the end of this world's history (i.e., to Christ's coming), but to prophetic time.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: His child] #135818
08/30/11 07:52 PM
08/30/11 07:52 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Do the math. From 17 May 2005 - 2300-days ends a few weeks before the day of Atonement 7 October 2011.

More precisely, 3 September 2011, that is, next Saturday. What will happen then?

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: His child] #135819
08/30/11 08:29 PM
08/30/11 08:29 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Actually, I found problems with several dates here.

Quote:
That ended one time period and the time period, the 1290-days started the next day 2 September 2001 and it ends 2 April 2005.

It would end 15 March 2005.

Quote:
From 9/2/01 to 17 May 2005 is 1335-days.

1335 days would be from 9/02/2001 to 29 April 2005.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Rosangela] #135826
08/31/11 03:09 AM
08/31/11 03:09 AM
His child  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020
Very Dedicated Member
TN, USA
Quote:
Quote:

This is a quote commonly taken out of context by SDA's. Please read the first three posts on this topic. It is clear that Our Position is that prophetic time refers specifically to the day and hour of Christ's Advent.

What EGW says is that "the prophetic periods" closed in 1844 - all of them, and that, after that, no time-proclamation should intervene until the Lord's coming.

She repeats this idea in other passages:

As the disciples went out preaching, “The time is fulfilled, the kingdom of God is at hand,” so Miller and his associates proclaimed that the longest and last prophetic period brought to view in the Bible was about to expire, that the Judgment was at hand, and the everlasting kingdom was to be ushered in (GC 351.1).

This time, which the Angel declares with a solemn oath, is not the end of this world’s history, neither of probationary time, but of prophetic time, which would precede the advent of our Lord. That is, the people will not have another message upon definite time. After this period of time, reaching from 1842 to 1844, there can be no definite tracing of the prophetic time. The longest reckoning reaches to the autumn of 1844. {CTr 344.5}

The idea is repeatedly emphasized - there is no prophetic period to be fulfilled after 1844. She says that "there should be time no longer" refers not to the end of this world's history (i.e., to Christ's coming), but to prophetic time.

Dear Rosangela,

If you take the time to do a study of "prophetic time" in the Spirit of prophecy you will learn that EGW uses that term almost exclusively to refer the Day or Hour of Christ's Advent. Thus when she makes a reference to "prophetic time" she is not talking about time prophecy, but prophecy giving the time of Christ's Advent.

Since EGW clearly states
Quote:
The world placed all time-proclamation on the same level and called it a delusion, fanaticism and heresy. Ever since 1844 … Our position has been one of waiting and watching, with no time-proclamation to intervene between the close of the prophetic periods in 1844 and the time of our Lord's coming. We do not know the day nor the hour, or when the definite time is, and yet the prophetic reckoning shows us that Christ is at the door.10MR 270.1 & 16MR 178.2

EGW clearly contrasts ALL time prophecy with Our Position which she links to "the time of our Lord's coming" which she knew to be 1844 before the great disappointment.

Thus you turn her statement on its head when you conclude: "She says that "there should be time no longer" refers not to the end of this world's history (i.e., to Christ's coming), but to prophetic time." And of course she cannot be saying what you conclude since she gives at least two instances of fulfilled prophecy that was fulfilled before 1844 that is to be repeated after 1844 and prior to Christ's advent.

But of course this has already been discussed in this thread. So since it has been settled, there is no reason to revisit it without the introduction of information that has been overlooked.

I do appreciate your comments and participation, but I have limited time. So it would be helpful if you would read the thread through so that things that have been clarified won't keep us plowing the same field again and again.

"Ignorance is sin, when knowledge can be obtained" (HR, September 1, 1866 par. 3). www.loudcry101.com
Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Rosangela] #135827
08/31/11 03:10 AM
08/31/11 03:10 AM
His child  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020
Very Dedicated Member
TN, USA
Quote:
Do the math. From 17 May 2005 - 2300-days ends a few weeks before the day of Atonement 7 October 2011.

More precisely, 3 September 2011, that is, next Saturday. What will happen then?

Thank you for your precision

Last edited by His child; 08/31/11 03:10 AM.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Rosangela] #135828
08/31/11 03:38 AM
08/31/11 03:38 AM
His child  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020
Very Dedicated Member
TN, USA
Actually, I found problems with several dates here.

Quote:
That ended one time period and the time period, the 1290-days started the next day 2 September 2001 and it ends 2 April 2005.

It would end 15 March 2005.

Quote:
From 9/2/01 to 17 May 2005 is 1335-days.

1335 days would be from 9/02/2001 to 29 April 2005.

Thank you for noting that error.

I have dyslexia and reverse dates and numbers terribly. I wrote this from memory and will have to go back to my original notes to iron out.

This comment was very helpful. Thank you for taking time to bring it to my attention.

I worked laying block for 10 hrs today. Frankly I am tired , but it is something that I need to sort out and clarify.

9/20/01 is the date I had in Echoes of Doomsday, but when I proofed it I dropped the 0 from the 20.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: His child] #135832
08/31/11 08:38 PM
08/31/11 08:38 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Thus you turn her statement on its head when you conclude: "She says that "there should be time no longer" refers not to the end of this world's history (i.e., to Christ's coming), but to prophetic time."

His Child,
This is not my conclusion; this is what she wrote. Commenting on Rev. 10:6, "And he [the Angel] swore ... that there should be time no longer," she says,

"This time, which the Angel declares with a solemn oath, is not the end of this world’s history, neither of probationary time, but of prophetic time, which would precede the advent of our Lord."

The only conclusion I'm drawing here is that "the end of this world's history" is Christ's coming. Do you disagree with this conclusion?

If the end of this world's history is Christ's coming, and if she says that the word "time" here doesn't refer to that, it's clear that when she speaks of "prophetic time," she isn't referring to the setting of a date for Christ's coming.

Quote:
And of course she cannot be saying what you conclude since she gives at least two instances of fulfilled prophecy that was fulfilled before 1844 that is to be repeated after 1844 and prior to Christ's advent.

I don't agree that she gives two instances of time prophecies to be fulfilled after 1844.

Quote:
But of course this has already been discussed in this thread. So since it has been settled, there is no reason to revisit it without the introduction of information that has been overlooked.

I do appreciate your comments and participation, but I have limited time. So it would be helpful if you would read the thread through so that things that have been clarified won't keep us plowing the same field again and again.

I did read it, and I'm just explaining why I disagree with your conclusions.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: His child] #135833
08/31/11 09:09 PM
08/31/11 09:09 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Thank you for your precision

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Julian Date system:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/JulianDate.php
It's the system used by historians, astronomers, etc. It already takes into account leap years and all that, and if you choose 12 o'clock you don't have to deal with decimals.

Page 5 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 33 34

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!