HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,189 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 34 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 33 34
Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: dedication] #136418
10/03/11 01:19 PM
10/03/11 01:19 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: dedication
Quote:

"The voice of God is heard from heaven, declaring the day and hour of Jesus' coming, and delivering the everlasting covenant to His people. Like peals of loudest thunder His words roll through the earth. The Israel of God stand listening, with their eyes fixed upward. Their countenances are lighted up with His glory, {GC 640}

And, Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the end of those days!

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Green Cochoa] #136419
10/03/11 01:28 PM
10/03/11 01:28 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Regarding the 2520, I've heard some explanations of it which I cannot buy. I've heard just one explanation, however, which merits further study and which may be legitimate. Unfortunately, I do not remember it well enough to expound on it.
How do we know to how to take the 7 times of Daniel 4? Dedication was not able to answer my question about what the differences of prophetic, symbolic, and literal time was. She seemed to mix them and not make a distinction of the terms. Maybe a different way of asking the same question would be to ask, When should we take prophetic time symbolically or literally? Are there any guidelines?

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: kland] #136426
10/04/11 01:23 AM
10/04/11 01:23 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I would suggest the following points:

1) The Bible does not give a prophetic time formula without a reason (i.e. no use for it).
2) Bible interpretation always must take the context into consideration.
3) Things which are obviously abnormal or illogical should be examined for prophetic or symbolic meaning.
4) At least two witnesses for a point should suffice to establish it, but be careful of using just one text to support a doctrine.
5) Allow the Holy Spirit to guide the thoughts, and lay all personal biases or traditions aside.

The Bible explains itself. In the case which you have asked about, kland, I would note several things:

1) There is a day-for-millennium time formula which is given in the Bible in at least two different texts. Where does this formula apply? It must be given us for a reason, just as they day-year formula is given.
2) The day-year formula legitimately applies to both the prophecy in which it is given and to additional prophecies. This is to be expected with the Bible which frequently reuses symbols and the like to mean the same thing. The day-millennium formula, if we are being consistent, would also have this same potential of multiple applications.
3) The story of Nebuchadnezzar is so strange that it defies reason. It is entirely illogical that Nebuchadnezzar would grow feathers and talons instead of a mane and hooves, or something else more inline with a grass feeder. For him to eat grass while at the same time being depicted more as an eagle is something that should make us take notice and look deeper.

When we examine the symbols, we find them all there:

grass -- people: Isaiah 40:6-7
birds -- demons: Revelation 18:2
pride -- Lucifer's first sin: Ezekiel 28
insanity -- Satan: Ha! He's lost his mind!

To me it seems the most logical conclusion to understand that Nebuchadnezzar had represented Lucifer/Satan in type, just as the prince of Tyrus does in Ezekiel 28.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: kland] #136427
10/04/11 01:32 AM
10/04/11 01:32 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
"And, Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the end of those days!"

There is absolutely NO mention of the 1260, 1290, 1350 days in that entire chapter in Great Controversy.

Once God steps in to deliver the saints during the seventh plague, they are already sealed and now radiating the glory of heaven, the special resurrection has taken place. The wicked fall at their feet confessing that God loved them.
The WAITING time is definitely over.

If you are trying to say the announcement is given after some speciefied 1290 days, and Christ comes after 1335 days. I can't agree, we are not to do that sort of thing.

There are NO timelines between 1844 and the second coming.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: kland] #136428
10/04/11 01:55 AM
10/04/11 01:55 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
How do we know to how to take the 7 times of Daniel 4? Dedication was not able to answer my question about what the differences of prophetic, symbolic, and literal time was. She seemed to mix them and not make a distinction of the terms. Maybe a different way of asking the same question would be to ask, When should we take prophetic time symbolically or literally? Are there any guidelines?

My answers were not to your satisfaction obviously.
"Prophetic time" is not the same as "time mentioned in prophecies". Yet it seemed to me you were mixing those two as one and then trying to discredit the whole system known as "prophetic time".

The term "Prophetic time" is when the day/year is applied. It is applied when the vision covers vaste amounts of time.
Daniel nine is our key that Daniel's visions use the day/year principle when outlining the events of history.

Daniel four is a prophecy about a king. It's setting is local in Daniel's time. So it would be time measured in that setting. What people call "literal time" in which the day/year is not applied.

The same time lines as found in Daniel are in Revelation. Revelation uses the same way of depicting large segments of earth's history in day for a year formula.

"Prophetic time" with "literal time" is not confusing to me. It's those who want it both ways that switch them around so we can't tell what is "prophetic" and what is "literal" that is confusing.
It's quite plain if one is consistant.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Green Cochoa] #136430
10/04/11 03:40 AM
10/04/11 03:40 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I would suggest the following points:

1) The Bible does not give a prophetic time formula without a reason (i.e. no use for it)....

1) There is a day-for-millennium time formula which is given in the Bible in at least two different texts. Where does this formula apply? It must be given us for a reason, just as they day-year formula is given.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Is the "day for millennium" actually a prophetic formula?

You've done a good job to show that the day for a year is a prophetic formula as both Ezekiel and Numbers definitely use it as such. Both state formula and also a certain number of days which stood for a certain number of specified years. The formula and an application were given, making it clear this was a prophetic formula.

But do the texts speaking of a day like a thousand years do the same?

Let's have a look at the texts:

Originally Posted By: From 2Peter
3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were] from the beginning of the creation....
3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in [all] holy conversation and godliness,
3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

What is it saying?

Well, people are scoffing saying the rumor that Christ is coming and will execute judgment is a myth; for thousands of years have passed and nothing has happened. (They've even dismissed the flood from their thoughts)

Peter is saying
TIME isn't the issue with God.
He can do in one day what we might think should take a thousand years, and though a thousand years may seem terribly long to us, it's not long at all for God, only like a day to God.

There is no prophecy relating to a day for a 1000 years in the text in which the "formula" is applied as an example.

Indeed it does the opposite.
It's telling us not to worry for God is holding off judgment because He is longsuffering not willing that any should perish!

BUT the time will come when judgment will be executed. Not at the end of a stated day for 1000 years, BUT when it won't be expected!
Even in Peter's day the people are admonished to look for and hasten unto the day of the Lord, carefully living a life honourable to God.

The story of Nebuchadnezzar is so strange that it defies reason. It is entirely illogical that Nebuchadnezzar would grow feathers and talons instead of a mane and hooves, or something else more inline with a grass feeder. For him to eat grass while at the same time being depicted more as an eagle is something that should make us take notice and look deeper.

I'm not saying we can't draw very important lessons from Daniel 4, for indeed we can but,
I don't consider the literal realities within the propecy illogical at all.
It doesn't say he grew feathers nor talons.
His NAILS grew till they looked like birds claws.
And that is a good simile because I've seen people who let their nails grow one to two inches and they were thick and curved like claws.
His hair (totally uncombed) grew till it looked like feathers sticking out everywhere. Hair can do that -- believe me, it's called "bad hair day". And seven years of no combing hair would be a long MESS -- it would be a super "bad hair day"!

Growing hooves would be totally illogical, simply because people don't grow hooves, but some can grow nails that look like claws.

In those days insane people were driven out away from civilization. So yes, he did eat plants and grass.
I would hesitate to spiritualize away the reality of what happened to Nebuchadnezzar those seven years.

But I do think you believe he was literally insane those seven years.

The seven times as being interpreted by the day for a year principle resulting in 2520 years, was "kind of dismissed" with a sermon from a man who discredited it because someone had reapplied them to the 9/11 event. That author brought up quote after quote showing that the longest timelines ended in 1844.

The 2520 timeline basically runs from the time when Israel began to lose the "scepter" or "crown". From that time onward, God's people were under political/religious powers -- Babylon, Persia, Greece, Imperial Rome, Papal Rome -- till finally that power was broken in 1798.

"The crown removed from Israel passed successively to the kingdoms of Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome. God says, "It shall be no more, until He come whose right it is; and I will give it Him." {Ed 179.3}

In 1844 Christ,

Quote:
"the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion [is] an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom [that] which shall not be destroyed. Dan 7:13-14

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: dedication] #136431
10/04/11 04:56 AM
10/04/11 04:56 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
dedication,

To get one thing straight here, in case my confusing statements are somehow again at fault, let me clarify: I do NOT believe the 2520 prophecy has much of anything to do with Daniel 4. I am not making that connection here.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Green Cochoa] #136432
10/04/11 05:01 AM
10/04/11 05:01 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Dedication,

Regarding 2 Peter 3, I would invite you to read the prophecy it touches on expounded at this link:

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=103804#Post103804

Any discussion on that prophecy would be welcome in that thread, and we can continue here with the post-1844 prophetic time discussion.

God bless,

Green Cochoa.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Green Cochoa] #136433
10/04/11 07:14 AM
10/04/11 07:14 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
dedication,

To get one thing straight here, in case my confusing statements are somehow again at fault, let me clarify: I do NOT believe the 2520 prophecy has much of anything to do with Daniel 4. I am not making that connection here.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

I realize that.
I never said or implied that you did.
My question is WHY jump to a day for a millinnium when all the other prophecies in Daniel use a day for a year.
My question was WHY say a "time" means a day, when the other prophecies beginning point uses a "time" as a year.

Yes, I know you explained a "time" could mean either. But that's not consistant use of the word when dealing with Daniel's prophecies.

Consistant interpretation would say Seven times = Seven years equals 2520 days. Use the day for year formula and a person has 2520 years.

You dismissed seven times equal 2520 years (a day for a year) with a sermon from someone called Pastor Lemon, who gave an excellent presentation that the longest timelines reach to 1844 not beyond.

Which I find really strange as the ORIGINAL 2520 years ended in 1844, while your year for a millennium goes way beyond 1844.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Green Cochoa] #136434
10/04/11 07:53 AM
10/04/11 07:53 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Dedication,

Any discussion on that prophecy would be welcome in that thread, and we can continue here with the post-1844 prophetic time discussion.

God bless,

Green Cochoa.

But post 1844 prophetic events aren't based on "time".

Originally Posted By: from EGW
There will always be false and fanatical movements made by persons in the church who claim to be led of God–those who will run before they are sent and will give day and date for the occurrence of unfulfilled prophecy. The enemy is pleased to have them do this, for their successive failures and leading into false lines cause confusion and unbelief.–2SM 84 (1897). {LDE 35.2}

No Time Prophecy Beyond 1844

I plainly stated at the Jackson camp meeting to these fanatical parties that they were doing the work of the adversary of souls; they were in darkness. They claimed to have great light that probation would close in October, 1884. I there stated in public that the Lord had been pleased to show me that there would be no definite time in the message given of God since 1844.–2SM 73 (1885). {LDE 35.3}

Our position has been one of waiting and watching, with no time-proclamation to intervene between the close of the prophetic periods in 1844 and the time of our Lord’s coming.–10MR 270 (1888). {LDE 36.1}

The people will not have another message upon definite time. After this period of time [Revelation 10:4-6], reaching from 1842 to 1844, there can be no definite tracing of the prophetic time. The longest reckoning reaches to the autumn of 1844.–7BC 971 (1900). {LDE 36.2}

And more quotes:

Originally Posted By: from EGW
The preaching of a definite time for the Judgment, in the giving of the first message, was ordered of God. The computation of the prophetic periods on which that message was based, placing the close of the 2300 days in the autumn of 1844, stands without impeachment. The repeated efforts to find new dates for the beginning and close of the prophetic periods, and the unsound reasoning necessary to sustain these positions, not only lead minds away from the present truth, but throw contempt upon all efforts to explain the prophecies. GC 457

Should we advance in spiritual knowledge, we would see the truth developing and expanding in lines of which we have little dreamed, but it will never develop in any line that will lead us to imagine that we may know the times and the seasons which the Father hath put in His own power. Again and again have I been warned in regard to time setting. There will never again be a message for the people of God that will be based on time. We are not to know the definite time either for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit or for the coming of Christ. {1SM 188.1}

God has not revealed to us the time when this message will close, or when probation will have an end. Those things that are revealed we shall accept for ourselves and for our children; but let us not seek to know that which has been kept secret in the councils of the Almighty. It is our duty to watch and work and wait, to labor every moment for the souls of men that are ready to perish. 1SM 191

Page 14 of 34 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 33 34

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!