HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,649
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 34 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 33 34
Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: dedication] #136583
10/09/11 04:09 PM
10/09/11 04:09 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

"Let us read and study the 12th chapter of Daniel. It is a warning we shall all need to understand before the time of the end." Letter 161 - July 30, 1903.

* read & study
* all need to understand
* before the time of the end

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Green Cochoa] #136585
10/09/11 04:43 PM
10/09/11 04:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
MM, I guess it doesn't much matter to me if the five-month period is part of the plagues or not. In either case, I know of few people, if any, trying to place this time period before 1844. Do you know of any such interpretations? If this is after 1844, as I suspect, the time seems to be rather clearly a prophetic period based on definite time, though not Second-Advent time, and one which would clearly illustrate the point that Mrs. White is referring to Advent time in her declaration.

Do you agree with Ellen:

Quote:
In the year 1840 another remarkable fulfillment of prophecy excited widespread interest. Two years before, Josiah Litch, one of the leading ministers preaching the second advent, published an exposition of Revelation 9, predicting the fall of the Ottoman Empire. According to his calculations, this power was to be overthrown "in A.D. 1840, sometime in the month of August;" and only a few days previous to its accomplishment he wrote: "Allowing the first period, 150 years, to have been exactly fulfilled before Deacozes ascended the throne by permission of the Turks, and that the 391 years, fifteen days, commenced at the close of the first period, it will end on the 11th of August, 1840, when the Ottoman power in Constantinople may be expected to be broken. And this, I believe, will be found to be the case."--Josiah Litch, in Signs of the Times, and Expositor of Prophecy, Aug. 1, 1840. {GC 334.4}

Also, Uriah Smith concurred here.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: dedication] #136587
10/09/11 04:56 PM
10/09/11 04:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
D: What do you think will happen in those "a number of days"? All we are told is that the wicked acknowledge that the ones they persecuted are the ones loved by God. This announcement takes place during the seventh plague, after the death decree was overturned by God's deliverance.

M: True, the wicked worshiping at the saints' feet happens toward the end of this time period. However, according to Ellen, this time period begins the moment Jesus leaves the heavenly sanctuary and ends when the saints behold Him in the eastern sky as a small, black cloud. In addition to the wicked worshiping at the saint's feet is everything else Ellen described in GC 613-640. Do you agree?

D: Where do you find that? You'll have to show me. Read the CHAPTER in which EGW says the announcement is made. The plagues have fallen. IT'S THE LAST PLAGUE, not the first. The time of Jacob's trouble (which occurs after probation closes) has ENDED before the announcement is made. All that stuff takes place BEFORE the announcement. The only thing that EGW records as happening AFTER the announcement is the wicked acknowledging that God loves those they had tried to kill. Then Jesus comes.

I appreciate all the work you put into listing everything that happens between Jesus leaving the heavenly sanctuary and appearing as a small, black cloud in the east. Here's the quote I'm referring to:

Quote:
And I saw a flaming cloud come where Jesus stood and he laid off his priestly garment and put on his kingly robe, took his place on the cloud which carried him to the east where it first appeared to the saints on earth, a small black cloud, which was the sign of the Son of Man. While the cloud was passing from the Holiest to the east which took a number of days, the Synagogue of Satan worshiped at the saints feet. Ellen G. Harmon {DS, March 14, 1846 par. 2}

Jesus leaves the sanctuary the precise moment probation closes and the plagues begin to fall. "When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth." {GC 614.1} It takes "a number of days" for Jesus to pass from the sanctuary to the east. Most of the things you listed happen during this time period. Do you see what I mean?

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: dedication] #136602
10/09/11 11:23 PM
10/09/11 11:23 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Well, let's look at how EGW used the term "prophetic time".

"prophetic time closed in 1844, and Jesus entered the most holy place to cleanse the sanctuary at the ending of the days." EW 244

"The people will not have another message upon definite time. After this period of time [Rev. 10:4-6], reaching from 1842 to 1844, there can be no definite tracing of the prophetic time. The longest reckoning reaches to the autumn of 1844.--7BC 971 (1900).

This time, which the angel declares with a solemn oath, is not the end of this world's history, neither of probationary time, but of prophetic time, which should precede the advent of our Lord. That is, the people will not have another message upon definite time. After this period of time, reaching from 1842 to 1844, there can be no definite tracing of the prophetic time. The longest reckoning reaches to the autumn of 1844. {7BC 971.7}

She clearly says there is no "prophetic time" after 1844.

Dedication,

You have conveniently omitted the context for every one of those quotes. The context for each will be the "Second Coming." This was Mrs. White's topic.

In Paul's writings, he speaks of the law being abolished. Certainly, it is. But ALL law? Or was there a relevant context? Context, then, is of utmost importance when doing due diligence to the scriptures.

This is also the case here.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Green Cochoa] #136603
10/09/11 11:34 PM
10/09/11 11:34 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
In 1844, something very significant happened. A biblically-based, prophecy-directed proclamation of the day of Jesus' coming went out to all the world. It was the last such prophecy based on "prophetic time" that was to occur. Even the final announcement of the day and hour which God Himself gives will not be to all the world, for only the righteous will understand it. Never again, then, will there be such a prophecy upon "definite time."

Indefinite time? Certainly. We know He will come. We can certainly preach it, even now. Nothing prohibits us this, and there are prophecies which tell us of His coming. At least one such prophecy exceeds the length of the prophecy which Mrs. White called "the longest reckoning." She referred to the 2300 day prophecy. But the prophecy of Daniel 2 exceeds that of the 2300 for length. Notably, it is not based upon "definite time." Those are the two principal premises of all of Mrs. White's statements regarding post-1844 prophecy being "no more."

1) The prophecy is based on "definite time."
2) The prophecy announces to all the second coming.

If it does the above, it is forbidden.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Mountain Man] #136604
10/09/11 11:45 PM
10/09/11 11:45 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
MM, I guess it doesn't much matter to me if the five-month period is part of the plagues or not. In either case, I know of few people, if any, trying to place this time period before 1844. Do you know of any such interpretations? If this is after 1844, as I suspect, the time seems to be rather clearly a prophetic period based on definite time, though not Second-Advent time, and one which would clearly illustrate the point that Mrs. White is referring to Advent time in her declaration.

Do you agree with Ellen:

Quote:
In the year 1840 another remarkable fulfillment of prophecy excited widespread interest. Two years before, Josiah Litch, one of the leading ministers preaching the second advent, published an exposition of Revelation 9, predicting the fall of the Ottoman Empire. According to his calculations, this power was to be overthrown "in A.D. 1840, sometime in the month of August;" and only a few days previous to its accomplishment he wrote: "Allowing the first period, 150 years, to have been exactly fulfilled before Deacozes ascended the throne by permission of the Turks, and that the 391 years, fifteen days, commenced at the close of the first period, it will end on the 11th of August, 1840, when the Ottoman power in Constantinople may be expected to be broken. And this, I believe, will be found to be the case."--Josiah Litch, in Signs of the Times, and Expositor of Prophecy, Aug. 1, 1840. {GC 334.4}

Also, Uriah Smith concurred here.

That's an interesting case, Mike, and one which I do have questions about. I had always believed it until I looked further into it once several years ago, at which point I came across a few uncertainties. Mrs. White herself makes little mention of this (the quote you found is the only one), and it appears that little was said about this after its date had passed. I am not saying here that I do not believe it, only that I do not find a strong case for it, and I'm open to reinterpreting it.

As for the trumpets themselves, I think events like 9/11 might have something to do with them. Again, I'm still trying to understand these things.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Mountain Man] #136614
10/10/11 02:20 AM
10/10/11 02:20 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

M: True, the wicked worshiping at the saints' feet happens toward the end of this time period. However, according to Ellen, this time period begins the moment Jesus leaves the heavenly sanctuary and ends when the saints behold Him in the eastern sky as a small, black cloud. In addition to the wicked worshiping at the saint's feet is everything else Ellen described in GC 613-640. Do you agree?

I appreciate all the work you put into listing everything that happens between Jesus leaving the heavenly sanctuary and appearing as a small, black cloud in the east. Here's the quote I'm referring to:

Quote:

[color:#6600CC]And I saw a flaming cloud come where Jesus stood and he laid off his priestly garment and put on his kingly robe, took his place on the cloud which carried him to the east where it first appeared to the saints on earth, a small black cloud, which was the sign of the Son of Man. While the cloud was passing from the Holiest to the east which took a number of days, the Synagogue of Satan worshiped at the saints feet. Ellen G. Harmon {DS, March 14, 1846 par. 2}

Quote:
Then we heard the voice of God which shook the heavens and earth, and gave the 144,000 the day and hour of Jesus' coming. Then the saints were free, united and full of the glory of God, for he had turned their captivity. And I saw a flaming cloud come where Jesus stood and he laid off his priestly garment and put on his kingly robe, took his place on the cloud which carried him to the east where it first appeared to the saints on earth, a small black cloud, which was the sign of the Son of Man. While the cloud was passing from the Holiest to the east which took a number of days, the Synagogue of Satan worshiped at the saints feet. Ellen G. Harmon {DS, March 14, 1846 par. 2

When compared with the sequence in Great Controversy we see that this isn't talking about the close of probation, but of Jesus preparing to come to earth. He is mounting the cloud that will bring Him to earth.

The voice of God (which Great Controversy places AFTER the plagues have fallen, and after the saints are delivered from the death decree) has announced the time of Christ's coming.

Notice the saints are FREE! their captivity has been turned! -- so this happens at the END of the time of trouble when God delivers them! The "number of days" simply point to a few days between the announcement and actual sighting of the cloud.

That's why I outlined the events in Great Controversy so you could SEE where that quote actually comes in the stream of time.

Last edited by dedication; 10/10/11 02:25 AM.
Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Green Cochoa] #136618
10/10/11 02:45 AM
10/10/11 02:45 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Well, let's look at how EGW used the term "prophetic time".

"prophetic time closed in 1844, and Jesus entered the most holy place to cleanse the sanctuary at the ending of the days." EW 244

"The people will not have another message upon definite time. After this period of time [Rev. 10:4-6], reaching from 1842 to 1844, there can be no definite tracing of the prophetic time. The longest reckoning reaches to the autumn of 1844.--7BC 971 (1900).

This time, which the angel declares with a solemn oath, is not the end of this world's history, neither of probationary time, but of prophetic time, which should precede the advent of our Lord. That is, the people will not have another message upon definite time. After this period of time, reaching from 1842 to 1844, there can be no definite tracing of the prophetic time. The longest reckoning reaches to the autumn of 1844. {7BC 971.7}

She clearly says there is no "prophetic time" after 1844.

Dedication,

You have conveniently omitted the context for every one of those quotes. The context for each will be the "Second Coming." This was Mrs. White's topic.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

She is speaking of PROPHETIC TIME.

I already posted several quotes where she clearly points out it's MORE than just the second coming. It's the whole concept of trying place endtime events on ANY kind of timeline.

But people don't listen to her.
In the past sixty years I've seen such a confusion of timeline interpretations -- people coming demanding we accept their "new light" all based on time predictions. Whole churches getting divided over it. Oh, they all say they aren't predicting the second coming itself.
But so far all their time lines have failed. People (usually those who got caught up in the excitement) have left the church after the predictions failed --

What troubles me is that I see so much of this trying to predict how many days or months future events will take (things not revealed and which we are clearly told not to try and predict) yet SO LITTLE attention to the meaning of those Prophetic Time lines which is the very foundation of Adventism.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: dedication] #136623
10/10/11 03:21 AM
10/10/11 03:21 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
She is speaking of PROPHETIC TIME.

Yes, or more precisely...
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
...of prophetic time, which should precede the advent of our Lord.

Or do you believe she is speaking only of YOUR definition of "prophetic time?"

What makes you so sure that you have the only possibly-correct understanding of what the prophetess was communicating?

Her quote actually exempts a number of other possibilities and focuses on prophetic time leading up to the Advent. That is THE time, above all others, we are not to have prophecies for after 1844.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: No Prophetic Time after 1844 [Re: Green Cochoa] #136624
10/10/11 03:23 AM
10/10/11 03:23 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
What troubles me is that I see so much of this trying to predict how many days or months future events will take (things not revealed and which we are clearly told not to try and predict) yet SO LITTLE attention to the meaning of those Prophetic Time lines which is the very foundation of Adventism.

There are also many who are not studying, as Mrs. White counseled we should, the books of Ezekiel, Daniel, and Revelation. There is still much to be understood from those books, if she is to be believed. That also implies there are still truths to be uncovered that may not have been part of our message in her day.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 19 of 34 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 33 34

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!