HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136838
10/15/11 06:05 AM
10/15/11 06:05 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
After reading your post, it appears to me that I am clearly answering your position.

You are putting the command to "stone" in the same category as commandments as to how a person should live.
You are putting it in the same category as "don't eat pork".
Just do it and don't ask God any questions.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136839
10/15/11 06:19 AM
10/15/11 06:19 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Dedication,

There are two basic categories that I'm aware of: Moral Law and Ceremonial Law. Which category is stoning in?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136840
10/15/11 06:31 AM
10/15/11 06:31 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: dedication

When it comes to the principles governing my life -- of course I am to follow and not try to find a loophole.
Principles should become so much a part of my life that I should not want to find a loophole to excuse disobedience.

But the "rules" you are addressing in this thread (at least if the application of them is a, just do it don't inquire of the Lord or ask questions), go against everything the NEW TESTAMENT teaches.
By observing a strict "JUST STONE THEM" and don't ask any questions type of "obedience" a person is going against everything that salvation stands for -- grace, mercy, forgiveness, restoration.

True, in civic law there are hardened lawbreakers who must be stopped, but hopefully there would be a fair trial preceding the execution. In God's theocracy I would expect a fair trial to include INVOLVING GOD!

Why didn't David get stoned, he committed adultery and murdered the woman's husband. Yet he is called "a man after God's heart"?

Until you have begun to understand my position, this post of yours is almost unanswerable. It's a bit like the "Are you still beating your wife?" question that has no correct answer for a bachelor or a gentleman.

However, you brought up David. Let me bring up Abraham. Perhaps this will help you to better understand what I'm trying (with little success so far) to express.

Should Abraham have spent several days of fasting and prayer to seek God's will over whether or not to offer Isaac his son upon the altar after God had told him to do so? (Remember, there was no Urim and Thummim in Abraham's time yet, so he did not have that option.)

On another related point, should the Israelites have sought the priests, with the Urim and Thummim, to know whether or not they should follow the laws of clean and unclean meats, or the law of circumcision, or the laws of sacrifices? Should they seek God's sign to know His will regarding the laws of marriage and divorce? Did God give the Israelites these laws while not expecting them to have sufficient wisdom on their own to understand the laws and to follow them? Did God want them to yet inquire, knowing the law, whether or not God wanted them to follow it?

Do you think the law of stoning was in this category of "God said but you better ask Him again to be sure that this is what He wants done?"

Or do you think, as I do, that God expected people to follow His law without questioning whether or not it was His will for them to follow it?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

You're problem is that you are taking this personally. I never suspected or asked if you were still stoning Sabbath breakers or anyone else.

So your allusion to "Are you still beating your wife" is rather off the topic and a strange comparison.

Your comparison to Abraham and David doesn't make any connection.
Abraham directly heard the voice of God and obeyed. It wasn't some general code, but the direct voice of God speaking to a specific event, place and act.

David committed adultery and murder, but wasn't stoned as the code required. What's the connection????

As to dietary laws -- no of course they shouldn't be begging the Lord to allow them to eat pork. Don't eat pork, that's a principle of health.

But how that links to "STONING PEOPLE" who were created in God's image and for Whom Christ died and whose probationary period they would be taking away is a totally different matter.
People are motivated by all sorts of distorted jealousies and sinful emotions and it's just not safe to place that kind of thing in human hands WITHOUT DIVINE direction.

Circumcision was a routine thing, as were the sacrifices.

But marriage and divorce YES THEY SHOULD ask the Lord about that. As we learned later, out of the hardness of their hearts Moses allowed for divorce but it wasn't really God's plan from the beginning. (See Mark 10) It would have been far better to earnestly seek the Lord on those issues.

And no, I don't see the law for stoning in the same category as "do not eat pork".

And I made that clear in my answer to you previously.

Quote:
True, in civic law there are hardened lawbreakers who must be stopped, but hopefully there would be a fair trial preceding the execution. In God's theocracy I would expect a fair trial to include INVOLVING GOD!

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136841
10/15/11 06:32 AM
10/15/11 06:32 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Dedication,

There are two basic categories that I'm aware of: Moral Law and Ceremonial Law. Which category is stoning in?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Three --
Moral
Ceremonial
Civic
Stoning was in the third

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136842
10/15/11 07:15 AM
10/15/11 07:15 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
What other laws are in the "civic" category?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136843
10/15/11 07:28 AM
10/15/11 07:28 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
But marriage and divorce YES THEY SHOULD ask the Lord about that. As we learned later, out of the hardness of their hearts Moses allowed for divorce but it wasn't really God's plan from the beginning. (See Mark 10) It would have been far better to earnestly seek the Lord on those issues.

Regarding this, I was referring to some Levitical laws such as do not marry a woman and her sister in her lifetime...stuff like that. Don't marry your aunt, your father's wife, your daughter-in-law...etc.

This whole time I've been talking about the law. There is no law that specifies whom someone should marry by name. But there is a law that identifies certain persons whom one must not marry.

In light of such laws, if I were living in those days, should I feel I need to take it to Urim and Thummim to see if I may marry my daughter-in-law?

Consider the law:

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy daughter in law: she is thy son's wife; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness. (Leviticus 18:15)

Can I marry her? Shall I ask the priests to tell me God's will on the matter? Or does God expect me to already know that His law is His will?

(Naturally you realize that I am speaking hypothetically here, as this marital situation does not apply to me at all.)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136845
10/15/11 03:08 PM
10/15/11 03:08 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
What other laws are in the "civic" category?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

All the laws that deal with how the judges are to handle different cases. All the "legal" laws that judges enforce.
Inheritance laws
Property laws
How to deal with different crimes people committed.
City of Refuge laws
There are lots of them.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136846
10/15/11 03:25 PM
10/15/11 03:25 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
You said "marriage and divorce"

My answer to that remains the same.

When it comes to the principles governing my life -- of course I am to follow and not try to find a loophole.
Principles should become so much a part of my life that I should not want to find a loophole to excuse disobedience.

You may think my position is a STRAWMAN, but I KNOW this type of reasoning of elevating the CIVIC law into the moral law is exactly what produces the most horrific persecutions that gave the world the 1260 years of terrible trouble, and will again do the same in the time of the end.

When religion gets hold of government and adopts the civic laws of the old testament pretaining to worship, that's when the persecution starts again.

I've read catholic defenses of their inquisition and it's based on exactly those texts, plus the commands to Israel to exterminate the heathen in Canaan.

It's no strawman.

When people start bringing up the command to stone "Sabbath Breakers" every red light starts to flash!
Because IT WILL be used against those so called "Judiazers" who observe the 7th day and refuse to sanction the so called "Christian Sabbath".

If we go and teach that Stoning Sabbath breakers is something that was to be done without asking God, and put it into the category of the moral law -- we are walking right into their trap.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136847
10/15/11 03:36 PM
10/15/11 03:36 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Dedication,

Why did they ask God in the case of the Sabbath breaker?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136850
10/15/11 08:06 PM
10/15/11 08:06 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I'm going to go right back to the original question of this thread.

Why don't we stone Sabbath Breakers?

Let's turn to Matt. 13 and see what Jesus says.

Originally Posted By: bible
13:24 He presented another parable unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field:
13:25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
13:26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
13:27 So the servants of the householder came and said to him, Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? where did these tares come from?
13:28 He said to them, An enemy has done this. The servants said unto him, do you want us to go and gather them up?
13:29 But he said, Nay; lest while you gather up the tares, you root up also the wheat with them.
13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, you gather together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Now let's look at the above closer for Jesus Himself explains it in verses 36 to 42.

He that sows the good seed is the Son of man --Jesus Himself.

What is the field?

The field is the world

What is the good seed?

the good seed are the children of the kingdom

What are the tares?

tares are the children of the wicked one
The enemy that sowed them is the devil;

Jesus' servants ask -- should we pull out and get rid of the tares?
Translate -- should we stone the evil doers?

Jesus says NO, leave them till the harvest when the reapers will do the job.

When is the harvest?

the harvest is the end of the world

Who are the reapers?

the reapers are the angels

What happens to the tares at the end of the world?

As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

The tares and the wheat are to grow together until the harvest; and the harvest is the end of probationary time. The destruction of the lawless ones is not to be carried out now, the angels will take care of that at the end of the world.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!