HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136912
10/18/11 02:17 AM
10/18/11 02:17 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Dedication,

You are obviously rather exercised about this issue, yet you are so strongly opposed to what you perceive my position to be that you are not understanding what I'm trying to say (i.e. my actual position).

I'm not sure if I should attempt to explain further or not.

Green Cochoa.

No, why should you explain it further -- I think you've made your point that according to your understanding they were not to first consult God before stoning Sabbath breakers. (Or applying other death penalties)

But you won't go address anything I've been sharing.
Whether it's the last day application
or the reason why we today do not stone Sabbath keepers.

Remember they were ready to stone Jesus Himself on the charge of Sabbath breaking.
They felt perfectly vindicated in stoning Stephen for blasphemy.

The last day events are BASED on this very premise -- that "Sabbath breakers" (albeit they will apply it to the so called "Lord's Day" Christian Sabbath, which isn't the Sabbath at all) should be killed. And they won't be consulting the true God about it.

Why don't you want to touch the issue that is totally relevant to our day and age, why do you come up with expressions like "strawman" and now "rather exercised",

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136916
10/18/11 03:31 AM
10/18/11 03:31 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: dedication

No, why should you explain it further -- I think you've made your point that according to your understanding they were not to first consult God before stoning Sabbath breakers. (Or applying other death penalties)

This illustrates the seeming futility of my efforts here. You have misunderstood what I'm trying to say, perhaps on account of my poor ability to put my thoughts to words, and then continue to believe you understand me. Unfortunately, you have misconstrued my words, and I'm at a loss for how to correct your understanding.

Frankly , your quote above is not reflective of my thoughts or expressions on this matter.

Why don't you want to touch the issue...
Because you have not understood me, and the question is irrelevant to my side of the discussion. It is your own question, but has nothing to do with my understanding. I DO NOT advocate stoning Sabbath breakers in modern times, and in no point during this discussion have I done so. The fact that you have not understood the least part of my perspective so far prevents me from desiring to explain peripheral or tangential issues to it. Until the core is understood, the rest cannot be.

Here's a straw man argument for you:

Remember they were ready to stone Jesus Himself on the charge of Sabbath breaking.

In fact, the argument is fallacious on several other counts as well, not least of which it was the "priests" (those possessing the "Urim and Thummim") involved here, not the people at large as was the case in the Old Testament.

Nevertheless, this argument is quite parallel to the following:

Premise 1) The disciples asked Jesus if they should call down fire from heaven upon some Samaritans.
Originally Posted By: The Bible
Luke 9:54 And when his disciples James and John saw [this], they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

Premise 2) Jesus rebuked them for their evil spirit.
Luke 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

Conclusion) Elijah sinned and had an evil spirit in calling down fire from heaven.
2 Kings
1:9 Then the king sent unto him a captain of fifty with his fifty. And he went up to him: and, behold, he sat on the top of an hill. And he spake unto him, Thou man of God, the king hath said, Come down.
1:10 And Elijah answered and said to the captain of fifty, If I [be] a man of God, then let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And there came down fire from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.
1:11 Again also he sent unto him another captain of fifty with his fifty. And he answered and said unto him, O man of God, thus hath the king said, Come down quickly.
1:12 And Elijah answered and said unto them, If I [be] a man of God, let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And the fire of God came down from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.
1:13 And he sent again a captain of the third fifty with his fifty. And the third captain of fifty went up, and came and fell on his knees before Elijah, and besought him, and said unto him, O man of God, I pray thee, let my life, and the life of these fifty thy servants, be precious in thy sight.

Do you see how that kind of an argument goes? The example with the disciples does not match the example of Elijah. Elijah called down the fire from heaven in righteousness. There was no sin in it. The disciples, of a different spirit entirely, thought to do the same--but wrongly so. The first example cannot be judged by the latter. Such reasoning would be fallacious. The logical fallacy this involves can be called "straw man" because the original position is exaggerated and misrepresented before being attacked, and then the listener is told that the first one had to be bad too because it is the same situation. The problem is that it isn't the same. They are different. Two can never equal three, four, or five. When we exaggerate, the exaggeration does not equal the original.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136920
10/18/11 05:24 AM
10/18/11 05:24 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Your example of Elijah makes a point.

Elijah was in communion with God as to what to do. God had a purpose in what was done.

The disciples were acting on their own impulses of slighted ego and THOUGHT they were coming up with what God wanted. At least they had the knowledge that they should ask Christ and He set them straight. NO it was not God's will for people to call down fire because someone slighted you.

Both these stories only illustrate that A person MUST be in communion with God when such drastic steps are contemplated.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136922
10/18/11 05:56 AM
10/18/11 05:56 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Your example of Elijah makes a point.

Thank you.

Elijah was in communion with God as to what to do. God had a purpose in what was done.

I agree. But it was not by Urim and Thummim.

The disciples were acting on their own impulses of slighted ego and THOUGHT they were coming up with what God wanted. At least they had the knowledge that they should ask Christ and He set them straight. NO it was not God's will for people to call down fire because someone slighted you.
Agreed.

Both these stories only illustrate that A person MUST be in communion with God when such drastic steps are contemplated.

On this I differ. A person MUST be in communion with God at ALL times, not just when contemplating capital punishments. smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136923
10/18/11 06:25 AM
10/18/11 06:25 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I wasn't suggesting that you, yourself, were advocating stoning in modern times, I just said you continually sidestep, and push aside, any mention of the issue of how people will use that type of concept in modern times.

And yes, I do get leery of people who insist on taking me down some very narrow rabbit trail, and that's what I feel you are doing. It's not open discussion then, it's manipulative.

Your statement that my bringing up the fact the Jewish leaders wanted to stone Christ for Sabbath keeping is a fallacious argument on several counts -- why would you say that?

Why would that statement be "fallacious on several counts".
It's a clear and sad fact of history showing what happens when people aren't communicating with God.

I don't for even one moment believe that they used the "Urim and Thummim" in humble supplication to God as to what to do.
There possession of the sacred stones themselves isn't the issue.
It's their honest communion with God, or lack of it, that is the issue.

Why would you even imply that their attempt to stone Jesus (and by the way eventually crucify Him) had anything to do with possession of the Urim and Thummin -- a means by which THEY COULD HAVE communicated with God?

Though the priesthood was so corrupt by then that I'm not even sure the Urim and Thummin was still being used by God to answer them.

Pointing to church leaders ready to put to death the Creator of the Sabbath, on charges of Sabbath breaking is NOT a fallacious argument at all in light of this subject, but the most graphic and terrible example of what happens when people take it upon themselves to KNOW who deserves to die in order to "purify" the group.

Nor do I think the people at large were to just go and stone someone without presenting it to the "leaders sitting in the gates" first.

Not to have some form of judicial trial and guidance would be mob action, not judicial punishment.
That they sometimes did stone people in mob action is true, (as when Rehoboam sent out one of his stewards to try to persuade the ten tribes to return) but I don't believe that's what God had in mind.

God is a God of order, He is not the God of confusion.

The issue is --
Were the people to be in communion with God when dealing with corporal punishment, or were they simply to decide on their own who was worthy of death?

Israel, at the time the command was given was a theocracy. A true Theocracy means God is the ruler and leader. It doesn't work unless there is constant REAL communion with God about everything. Especially when dealing with the lives of others.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136924
10/18/11 07:06 AM
10/18/11 07:06 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Dedication,

Which of God's laws required stoning Jesus? (Or crucifying Him, for that matter?)

I think perhaps that question will help you to see that this is a rabbit trail you have taken us on. smile

The fact is, we were not discussing a case like this. It is a straw man and a red herring argument. It leads us away from the real subject here, which was enforcement of God's law.

Jesus did not sin. So it was impossible that He should have been stoned. End of story. End of analogy. His story does not fit this discussion.

Now, back on topic...

If God gave us a law to stone a sinner, should we trust Him and follow it?

That seems more in line with the subject of this thread.

(Again, Jesus was not a sinner, and there was no law to stone perfect people.)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136925
10/18/11 07:34 AM
10/18/11 07:34 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
In the case of the Sabbath breaker who was stoned in the Old Testament, he knew what he was doing. People saw him. There were witnesses. He likely confessed to it himself. He was disgruntled. And rebellious. Just the kind that needed to be purged from the camp to stop the sinful infection from spreading.

Jesus' case was vastly different. In the end of time, many injustices can be expected to occur. The wicked, frankly, don't care if the Bible supports them or not--but they would be happy to think they are using the Bible against its own supporters. They might like to think they are justified by its pages. They will learn the truth when God reveals all.

In Jesus' time, there would have been no need to consult Urim and Thummim for such a case, for God had taken away the Jews' right to capital punishment by allowing them to come under the Roman authority.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Because of the wicked departure of the Jews from God, he had allowed them to come under the power of a heathen nation. Only a certain limited power was granted the Jews; even the Sanhedrim was not allowed to pronounce final judgment upon any important case which involved the infliction of capital punishment. A people controlled, as were the Jews, by bigotry and superstition, are most cruel and unrelenting. {3SP 180.2}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136931
10/18/11 05:04 PM
10/18/11 05:04 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Dedication,

Which of God's laws required stoning Jesus? (Or crucifying Him, for that matter?)

I think perhaps that question will help you to see that this is a rabbit trail you have taken us on. smile

The fact is, we were not discussing a case like this. It is a straw man and a red herring argument. It leads us away from the real subject here, which was enforcement of God's law.

Jesus did not sin. So it was impossible that He should have been stoned. End of story. End of analogy. His story does not fit this discussion.

Now, back on topic...

If God gave us a law to stone a sinner, should we trust Him and follow it?

That seems more in line with the subject of this thread.

(Again, Jesus was not a sinner, and there was no law to stone perfect people.)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

That's just the point -- Jesus was NOT a sinner, but according to the THINKING of the religious leaders, the ones that made the decision, HE was BREAKING THE SABBATH.

According to them He was defying the Sabbath commandment by healing, and allowing His disciples to "harvest" grain on the Sabbath and eat it. To them going through the field and picking grain to eat was no different than a man picking up a few sticks to build a fire on the Sabbath.

They were WRONG of course, there was a HUGE difference, but the point is this ---
PEOPLE make huge mistakes when determining who is sinning and thus subject to the death penalty.

Thus for that command to be "of God" people first needed to be sure they THEMSELVES were in connection with God.

So no this is NOT a red herring or a rabbit trail--
The idea that people were free to exercise that command at THEIR OWN DISGRESSION, as in they taking upon themselves to determine who the "sinners" were without consulting God, is the rabbit trail that leads to horrendous crimes like killing the very author of those commands, or killing the very ones who were God's true followers.

That is the issue --
not whether outright rebellious lawbreakers were to be stoned in their society, for obviously that was the situation then, but the issue is whether God was to be FIRST consulted and the persons in leadership were to be in close communion with God before they had any right to exercise that command.

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136933
10/18/11 06:22 PM
10/18/11 06:22 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
In the case of the Sabbath breaker who was stoned in the Old Testament, he knew what he was doing. People saw him. There were witnesses. He likely confessed to it himself. He was disgruntled. And rebellious. Just the kind that needed to be purged from the camp to stop the sinful infection from spreading.

I wasn't questioning that aspect. Moses was in connection with God, but even he was careful that what was done was according to God's decisions not his own.

In the end of time, many injustices can be expected to occur. The wicked, frankly, don't care if the Bible supports them or not--but they would be happy to think they are using the Bible against its own supporters. They might like to think they are justified by its pages. They will learn the truth when God reveals all.

Yes, many injustices will occur and many have occured over the centuries. I'm glad you agree on that point, maybe we can reach points of agreement.

However, there is another dimension.
The devil works by DECEPTION. There will be many deceived into thinking exterminating those who refuse to subject themselves to the grand religious movement to save the world from the calamities befalling it is absolutely necessary and God ordained.

There will be many who, in their hearts feel the drastic measures are wrong, who will be given the very arguments to "simply trust God" and apply His scriptural remedy in bringing the nation back to God.

Yes, God will reveal it in the end, I agree on that!
But that will be too late for changing their final destiny.
So yes, I think my so called "strawman" is a very important aspect in this discussion that needs to be brought out!

Quote:
Then, in his (satan's) assumed character of Christ, he claims to have changed the Sabbath to Sunday, and commands all to hallow the day which he has blessed. He declares that those who persist in keeping holy the seventh day are blaspheming his name by refusing to listen to his angels sent to them with light and truth. This is the strong, almost overmastering delusion....
Only those who have been diligent students of the Scriptures, and who have received the love of the truth, will be shielded from the powerful delusion that takes the world captive. By the Bible testimony these will detect the deceiver in his disguise. To all, the testing time will come. By the sifting of temptation, the genuine Christian will be revealed. Are the people of God now so firmly established upon his Word that they would not yield to the evidence of their senses? GC 626

"It is expedient for us," said the wily Caiaphas, "that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not." [JOHN 11:50.] This argument will appear conclusive; and a decree will finally be issued against those who hallow the Sabbath of the fourth commandment, denouncing them as deserving of the severest punishment, and giving the people liberty, after a certain time, to put them to death.GC 616

Conscientious obedience to the Word of God will be treated as rebellion. GC 608

Re: Why arent Adventist stoning the Sabbath Breaker? [Re: dedication] #136934
10/18/11 06:44 PM
10/18/11 06:44 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The death sentence on sinners still holds -- all who refuse to give up their sin and continue in rebellion against God will perish in everlasting death.
God offers the gift of life to all who will receive it.

The important part of those commands to inflict death is that we need to take them serious at this point in time, NOT as something people are to inflict upon each other, but that death is the sure result of those who rebel against God. God Himself is the judge who are His and who are not.
Let no man judge you concerning the things of God.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!