HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 26 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 25 26
Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13754
09/17/05 03:00 AM
09/17/05 03:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
When a person grows in Christ, he may act, think, or speak selfishly without being aware of it.

Tom, please, show me an inspired quote that teaches born again believers, who are growing “in Christ, who walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, who are partaking of the divine nature, who are endowed with eye salve and spiritual discernment, can think, speak, or behave in a selfish manner without realizing it is morally wrong either 1) during the sin, or 2) immediately after the fact.

quote:
Our characters do not become instantly mature once we are born again. We still need to grow up to the full stature of Christ.

I agree. The same was true of Jesus as He grew in grace and knowledge from childhood to manhood. He was born morally perfect (complete), and He became morally perfect (mature) as He developed His character.

quote:
If one ignorantly does one of the things on your list, that does not mean he is walking according to the flesh.

Tom, please, the credit for the list belongs to Paul, and ultimately, to God.

quote:
For example, one could practice fornication without being aware that it is a sin (e.g. be married to more than one woman), but this would not be walking according to the flesh, provided the person was not aware it was a sin.

You’re right, having more than one wife, not realizing it violates the law, is not a sin. But, polygamy isn’t a part of the list, is it? God commanded the married brother-in-law of a childless widow to take her to wife and to raise seed unto his brother.

quote:
Idolatry does not simply cover worshiping idols made of wood or stone, but includes having false concepts of God's character (the Spirit of Prophesy talks about this in the Great Controversy). So one could easily be practicing in ignorance a subtle form of idolatry, which would not count as walking in the flesh provided the Spirit of God had not yet revealed the false concept of God's character to the believer.

I agree with you that a born again believer might ignorantly believe things about God that are not true, but I disagree he or she would worship such ideas as idols. Innocently believing an untruth and worshipping it are two totally different things. A truly born again believer would not be guilty of worshipping a concept or a doctrine, whether true or untrue.

Let’s take a closer look at the quote you referred to. Here it is:

GC 583
In rejecting the truth, men reject its Author. In trampling upon the law of God, they deny the authority of the Law-giver. It is as easy to make an idol of false doctrines and theories as to fashion an idol of wood or stone. By misrepresenting the attributes of God, Satan leads men to conceive of Him in a false character. With many, a philosophical idol is enthroned in the place of Jehovah; while the living God, as He is revealed in His word, in Christ, and in the works of creation, is worshiped by but few. Thousands deify nature while they deny the God of nature. Though in a different form, idolatry exists in the Christian world today as verily as it existed among ancient Israel in the days of Elijah. The god of many professedly wise men, of philosophers, poets, politicians, journalists--the god of polished fashionable circles, of many colleges and universities, even of some theological institutions--is little better than Baal, the sun-god of Phoenicia. {GC 583.1}

Are you suggesting that born again believers, who walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, who are partaking of the divine nature, who are endowed with eye salve and spiritual discernment, can be innocently ignorant of rejecting the truth, and in its place cherish a false doctrine or theory? I know that’s not what Paul had in mind when he penned his list. And I know that’s not what Sister White intended to imply. Check out the context of her quote and you’ll see what I mean.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13755
09/16/05 04:13 PM
09/16/05 04:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Old Tom:When a person grows in Christ, he may act, think, or speak selfishly without being aware of it.

Mike:Tom, please, show me an inspired quote that teaches born again believers, who are growing “in Christ, who walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, who are partaking of the divine nature, who are endowed with eye salve and spiritual discernment, can think, speak, or behave in a selfish manner without realizing it is morally wrong either 1) during the sin, or 2) immediately after the fact.

Tom:A couple of things to look at would be "The Two Worshippers" in Christ's Object Lessons, and the history of 1888. Those who rejected the message were committing sin, and did so persistently for many years, which the Spirit of Prophesy pointed out, but she did not state that these people were in a lost condition (although she warned of that possibility if they continued resisting the Holy Spirit)

Old Tom: Our characters do not become instantly mature once we are born again. We still need to grow up to the full stature of Christ.

Mike:I agree. The same was true of Jesus as He grew in grace and knowledge from childhood to manhood. He was born morally perfect (complete), and He became morally perfect (mature) as He developed His character.

Tom:Yes, but Christ never sinned and never ignorantly committed sin.

Old Tom: If one ignorantly does one of the things on your list, that does not mean he is walking according to the flesh.

Mike:Tom, please, the credit for the list belongs to Paul, and ultimately, to God.

Tom:That's kind of a frivilous comment. The "your list" means nothing more than "the list you cited". We've been talking about Galatians. Everyone knows you didn't write that, Mike.

Old Tom: For example, one could practice fornication without being aware that it is a sin (e.g. be married to more than one woman), but this would not be walking according to the flesh, provided the person was not aware it was a sin.

Mike:You’re right, having more than one wife, not realizing it violates the law, is not a sin.

Tom:It's fornication, which is on the list.

Mike:But, polygamy isn’t a part of the list, is it? God commanded the married brother-in-law of a childless widow to take her to wife and to raise seed unto his brother.

Tom:God winked at polygamy before Christ came.

Old Tom: Idolatry does not simply cover worshiping idols made of wood or stone, but includes having false concepts of God's character (the Spirit of Prophesy talks about this in the Great Controversy). So one could easily be practicing in ignorance a subtle form of idolatry, which would not count as walking in the flesh provided the Spirit of God had not yet revealed the false concept of God's character to the believer.

Mike:I agree with you that a born again believer might ignorantly believe things about God that are not true, but I disagree he or she would worship such ideas as idols. Innocently believing an untruth and worshipping it are two totally different things. A truly born again believer would not be guilty of worshipping a concept or a doctrine, whether true or untrue.

Let’s take a closer look at the quote you referred to. Here it is:

GC 583
In rejecting the truth, men reject its Author. In trampling upon the law of God, they deny the authority of the Law-giver. It is as easy to make an idol of false doctrines and theories as to fashion an idol of wood or stone. By misrepresenting the attributes of God, Satan leads men to conceive of Him in a false character. With many, a philosophical idol is enthroned in the place of Jehovah; while the living God, as He is revealed in His word, in Christ, and in the works of creation, is worshiped by but few. Thousands deify nature while they deny the God of nature. Though in a different form, idolatry exists in the Christian world today as verily as it existed among ancient Israel in the days of Elijah. The god of many professedly wise men, of philosophers, poets, politicians, journalists--the god of polished fashionable circles, of many colleges and universities, even of some theological institutions--is little better than Baal, the sun-god of Phoenicia. {GC 583.1}

Tom:This is the quote I had in mind. Well done! Notice it says, "It is as easy to make an idol of false doctrines and theories as to fashion an idol of wood or stone." How easy is it to fashion an idol of wood or stone? Pretty easy, right? That's just how easy it is to make an idol of false doctrines and theories.

Mike:Are you suggesting that born again believers, who walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, who are partaking of the divine nature, who are endowed with eye salve and spiritual discernment, can be innocently ignorant of rejecting the truth, and in its place cherish a false doctrine or theory?

Tom:Yes, and this is obviously the case of what's happening on this very forum. We have differing ideas and theories. One of us is obviously wrong (or both). Unless you wish to ascribe intent to one of us, or propose that one of us isn't born again, the false theories we hold are being held in ignorance.

Mike: I know that’s not what Paul had in mind when he penned his list.

Tom:What's "that"? How do you know?

Mike:And I know that’s not what Sister White intended to imply. Check out the context of her quote and you’ll see what I mean.

Tom:I've looked at the quote, and noticed, as I pointed out, that it's as easy to make an idol out of a false doctrine or theory as it is to fashion one out of wood or stone, which is an exceedingly easy thing to do.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13756
09/17/05 01:54 AM
09/17/05 01:54 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
Rosangela, the man of Romans 7 is a born again believer who understands it is his sinful flesh nature that generates unholy suggestions and feelings.
I disagree, Mike. There is a clear contrast between Romans 7 and Romans 8.
Besides, the context of the quotations of EGW imply that Paul is describing his pre-conversion experience:

“It is not enough to perceive the loving-kindness of God, to see the benevolence, the fatherly tenderness, of His character. It is not enough to discern the wisdom and justice of His law, to see that it is founded upon the eternal principle of love. Paul the apostle saw all this when he exclaimed, ‘I consent unto the law that it is good.’ ‘The law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.’ But he added, in the bitterness of his soul-anguish and despair, ’I am carnal, sold under sin.’ Romans 7:16, 12, 14. He longed for the purity, the righteousness, to which in himself he was powerless to attain, and cried out, ‘O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from this body of death?’ Romans 7:24, margin. Such is the cry that has gone up from burdened hearts in all lands and in all ages. To all, there is but one answer, ‘Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.’ John 1:29.” {SC 19.1}

“Paul realized his weakness, and well he might distrust his own strength. Referring to the law, he says, ‘The commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.’ He had trusted in the deeds of the law. He says, concerning his own outward life, that as ‘touching the law’ he was ‘blameless;’ and he put his trust in his own righteousness. But when the mirror of the law was held up before him, and he saw himself as God saw him, full of mistakes, stained with sin, he cried out, ‘O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?’ Paul beheld the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world. He heard the voice of Christ saying, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man cometh unto the Father but by me.’ He determined to avail himself of the benefits of saving grace, to become dead to trespasses and sins, to have his guilt washed away in the blood of Christ, to be clothed with Christ's righteousness, to become a branch of the Living Vine.” {ST, November 24, 1890 par. 6}

quote:
Jesus’ experience with sin and temptation, while He walked the earth as a human, would suggest that it is possible for Satan to tempt us with things we find annoying and hateful and disgusting.
Of course Satan can tempt us with things that we find hateful, but he will concentrate his efforts in things we find pleasing.

quote:
But not all temptations, right? Some are less sinful than others and, as such, not as readily resisted or disgusting (i.e., the favorite dessert example).
That’s the point. There is nothing wrong in finding a dessert pleasing.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13757
09/17/05 02:04 AM
09/17/05 02:04 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
Mike:But, polygamy isn’t a part of the list, is it? God commanded the married brother-in-law of a childless widow to take her to wife and to raise seed unto his brother.
Mike, polygamy is a transgression of the 7th commandment, and there is no evidence that God commanded the married brother-in-law of a childless widow to take her for wife.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13758
09/17/05 03:03 AM
09/17/05 03:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
It is clear that Jesus was tempted in all points that born again believers are tempted in, nevertheless, He found all sin and temptations to be repugnant and repulsive.
Does this make sense? How could He find all temptations repugnant? "Repugnant" means "abhorrent" "repulsive". We are not tempted by things we find abhorrent or repulsive, but by things we find pleasant. If we found no pleasure in the suggestion, it would not be temptation.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13759
09/17/05 03:12 AM
09/17/05 03:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mike:Rosangela, the man of Romans 7 is a born again believer who understands it is his sinful flesh nature that generates unholy suggestions and feelings.

Rosangela:I disagree, Mike. There is a clear contrast between Romans 7 and Romans 8.
Besides, the context of the quotations of EGW imply that Paul is describing his pre-conversion experience:

Tom:I agree that Romans 7 and 8 are in contrast, and the Romans 7 is not describing the experience of faith, seeing as how it describes defeat instead of victory (Galatians 5 is similar in describing the fight, but in it victory is inevitable, rather than defeat -- that's the result of faith). However, while it's true it's not speaking of the experience of faith of a born-again believer, that does not discount the truth that temptations come to us through the flesh.

It is Satan's desire to reach the mind by way of the flesh. The flesh is his realm. The flesh will be a thorn to our side until Christ's Second coming when this corruptible becomes incorruptible. It is God's desire to get the flesh to yield by way of the mind.

Christ partook of the same flesh we have, and was subject to the same temptations. But whereas we have all yielded to the temptations of the flesh, Christ never did.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13760
09/17/05 02:46 PM
09/17/05 02:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, maybe we can start a thread on Romans 7? It is very clear to me that Pual is talking about a born again believer recognizing and resisting the unholy suggestions and feelings generated and communicated to his new man mind by his sinful flesh nature.

Tom, you seem convinced that a Spirit-led believer can be guilty of fornication without realizing it. I guess there isn't anything else we can study, at this point. Unless you have more to say?

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13761
09/18/05 03:19 AM
09/18/05 03:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mike, given that:
1)Polygamy is fornication.
2)There have been those who have practised polygame, while being in a saved condition.

then my conclusion must follow, right? So you'd have to disagree with 1) or 2) to disagree with this conclusion.

Also there's the idolatry example.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13762
09/18/05 02:15 PM
09/18/05 02:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, your examples, in my mind, do not constitute character defects, at least, not in the judgment sense. In other words, they will not be counted against them in judgment. The way I see it, only those defects that are developed as a result of violating ones conscience and convictions will count in judgment.

A born again believer may indeed, though it is highly unlikely in developed countries, practice polygamy without realizing it is biblically and morally wrong in the eyes of God. If such a case were true, they would be guiltless in the eyes of God because they are not deliberately violating their conscience or convictions. That's the key.

In the case of making an idol out of an idea, I am completely convinced that no one is guiltless in the eyes of God, especially not a born again believer. In the light of the SOP quote, cited above, no born again believer can reject the truth in favor of damnable heresy without realizing it is morally wrong. Rejecting the truth requires a conscious, deliberate choice. One must fight the convicting voice of the Holy Spirit to reject the truth.

I agree with you that it's possible for a born again believer to mistakenly believe false doctrines without realizing it is untrue. But I disagree it constitutes a moral defective trait of character, one that counts against them in judgment.

Neither do I agree with you that a person can reject the truth or idolize an idea, even if it's right, and still be in a saved state.

Also, I do not believe a lukewarm Christian is in a saved state.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13763
09/18/05 05:02 PM
09/18/05 05:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mike:Tom, your examples, in my mind, do not constitute character defects, at least, not in the judgment sense. In other words, they will not be counted against them in judgment. The way I see it, only those defects that are developed as a result of violating ones conscience and convictions will count in judgment.

Tom:I was treating the list, and showed that one could ignorantly commit items on the list although born again.

Mike:A born again believer may indeed, though it is highly unlikely in developed countries, practice polygamy without realizing it is biblically and morally wrong in the eyes of God. If such a case were true, they would be guiltless in the eyes of God because they are not deliberately violating their conscience or convictions. That's the key.

Tom:This suffices, then, to show that one can committ something on the list ignorantly, which is what I set out to show.

Mike:In the case of making an idol out of an idea, I am completely convinced that no one is guiltless in the eyes of God, especially not a born again believer. In the light of the SOP quote, cited above, no born again believer can reject the truth in favor of damnable heresy without realizing it is morally wrong.

Tom:You have a tendency to add qualifications which make your statements non-falsifiable. For example, here your add "damnable heresy." Of course God will not allow one to ignorantly commit a "damnable heresy"! God's not willing that any should perish. He's not going to sit by and let someone be lost without letting the person know what's happening.

But that's not what we were discussing. We were discussing whether one could ignorantly committ items on the list while being born again. If it is really as easy to fashion idols from false ideas as it is to make them from wood or stone, the answer is clearly yes.

If you add qualifications to arguments that disprove your ideas to make them non-falsifiable, there's not much point in carrying on a discussion.

Mike:Rejecting the truth requires a conscious, deliberate choice. One must fight the convicting voice of the Holy Spirit to reject the truth.

Tom:Certainly, but again, this isn't what we were discussing.

Mike:I agree with you that it's possible for a born again believer to mistakenly believe false doctrines without realizing it is untrue. But I disagree it constitutes a moral defective trait of character, one that counts against them in judgment.

Tom:Again, you're switching the conversation.

Mike:Neither do I agree with you that a person can reject the truth or idolize an idea, even if it's right, and still be in a saved state.

Tom:None of us on this site agrees with you on all your ideas, so are all of us lost, except for you?

Mike:Also, I do not believe a lukewarm Christian is in a saved state.

Tom:This would make an interesting topic. If the Laodecian condition represents the SDA church, then if you're idea is true, the SDA church is in an unsaved state.

Page 13 of 26 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 25 26

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!