HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,315 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 42 43
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: JAK] #137737
11/30/11 05:10 AM
11/30/11 05:10 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: JAK
A little research on "King James Onlyism" reveals the distressing fact that a Seventh-day Adventist, Benjamin G. Wilkinson, is credited with starting this whole fallacious heresy!!!

IS THIS TRUE?? HAVE WE DONE THIS!?

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. TELL ME IT AINT SO! (Insert CRYING smilie here. frown )

Before judging the man, I would invite you to read his books. Here's a little intro to them:

The first book was "Our Authorized Bible Vindicated," by Benjamin G. Wilkinson, Ph.D., Dean of Theology at Washington Missionary College (now Columbia Union College).

The second book was written, but not published at that time, in response to a "scholarly review" that was published by some of his colleagues against the first book. On the back of the book, the following is printed:

Originally Posted By: Our Authorized Bible: Answers to Objections
Back in 1930, B. G. Wilkinson published OUR AUTHORIZED BIBLE VINDICATED. Some of his college colleagues took exception to his book and criticized it publicly. Since Wilkinson, who was a professor in one of our colleges, was having his scholarship questioned, it was mandatory that he reply.

This book is his reply to their "review" and criticism. It literally "downs" them on every argument. Since feelings and rivalry were running high, the General Conference of those days requested Wilkinson to not publish his work. He agreed.

Since the individuals concerned are no longer on the scene, and since the issue of modern versions is now a very important topic, we feel that this work should be available to students.

At the time OUR AUTHORIZED BIBLE VINDICATED was published, the NIV had not come on the scene. Wilkinson's main concern was with the Revised Version and the American Revision, both springing from the works of Westcott and Hort (on the RV). All modern versions also have taken their basis from the Westcott-Hort Greek Text. It is time we re-examined their sources and reasoning.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: JAK] #137738
11/30/11 06:40 AM
11/30/11 06:40 AM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
A little research on "King James Onlyism" reveals the distressing fact that a Seventh-day Adventist, Benjamin G. Wilkinson, is credited with starting this whole fallacious heresy!!!

IS THIS TRUE?? HAVE WE DONE THIS!?

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. TELL ME IT AINT SO! (Insert CRYING smilie here. frown )

I don't know if he started it but he made it popular. Graham Maxwell pointed out that Wilkinson had his doctorate, not in Biblical studies or ancient languages or other related fields, but in modern languages (maybe even just modern French if I recall correctly) but set himself up as an expert in theology, and he was dean of the theology department at Washington Missionary College and President of Washington Missionary College and other church administrative positions.

People like W. W. Prescott and Willie White (and I don't remember for sure but maybe even Mrs. White) were critical of his work (she was at least critical of some people's ideas that he latched on to and began preaching, they excused her messages to them as her getting messages from Willie instead of the Lord). Wilkinson used texts in the Bible against Samuel's sons as the same thing happening with Willie White.

Then when he was an administrator of one of our colleges he apperently did find a letter from the vatican to one of the religion professors with instructions on what to teach to attack our church, and because of this he felt that the whole church was filled with Catholic spys and would not take redirection from people like White, Prescott and other church leaders. His ideas are still very influentual among us today.

According to Graham Maxwell, Wilkinson's strictness ended up that non of his children wanted anything to do with God as they grew up, and this caused the elderly Wilkerson to re-evaluate his life and feel he was wrong and repented of his views. However his followers continue to support those views.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Rosangela] #137739
11/30/11 11:06 AM
11/30/11 11:06 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
On the other hand, the KJV includes texts that it shouldn't include, like the Comma Johanneum of 1 John 5:7.
Now I wouldnt be so quick on that, as we dont have the original manuscripts which I think did have them but the later ones from the Gnosticism codices altered, I am researching that.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Kevin H] #137740
11/30/11 11:08 AM
11/30/11 11:08 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Kevin H
About 100 years ago W.W. Prescott and Willie White (Ellen White's son) argued against the King James Bible being necessarly superior and Willie told about his mother's liking and useing other translations. And this was even before the rediscovery of the ancient world in the 20th century, which I believe to be a part of the Investigative Judgment.

There are 3 basic Bible catagories: Word translations (I forgot the technical term for this)which trys to translate word for word with a bit of dynamic and paraphrase to make it run smoothly, or to avoid controversy of points that we think should not be in the Bible and thus prevent people from buying it because people don't want a Bible that says those things (Nothing of major theological importance, just things like being sure that Phoebe in Romans is a deconess and not like they can translate the exact same word by a man's name as Pastor or Elder, or phrases where the words could lead to a more sexual translation that they put in softer language) Dynamic translations where they translate the ideas rather than a word for word translation. Both of these work together as a team because while you may have the words, we don't know enought about the languages and culture to tell what were common expressions and proberbs and thus they translate what the words mean. How was it understood by the original readers. The third way is Paraphrase, which is basically taking the two types of translations and putting it in other words that help people to understand. I think Graham Maxwell wrote a book "Can the Bible be trusted" I know he at least has a wonderful chapter in "Can God be Trusted" in how we can trust the Bible in which he covers these issues that you are asking about.

Now all three groups have a certan amount of word translation, dynamic translation, and paraphrase. In fact the Living Bible, a paraphrase, is (or at least in the 1980s was) the ONLY Bible to accurately translate a verse into English when Elijah is taunting the priest of Baal saying that maybe Baal is going to the bathroom. Both word translations and dynamic translations like to say that Baal was busy. Also, all Bible are victims of the translator's presuppositions: The King James Bible has prejudices and presupositons held in it's day, as well as it being a compromise Bible, as Catholics wanted to translate the Bible one way and Protestants the other way, and the KJV was a middle ground between the two (Initally making both groups unhappy and the Catholics made their Bible and the Protestants eventually came around to accepting the KJV despite it's compromises.) Finally we are always learning more about the languages: There were many words that translators did not know how to translate that they had to guess. Bibles before the 20th century had a LOT of guesswork. But with Archaeology they have found many ancient manuscripts where the same words as in the Bible are used over and over again and we start to see how these words are used, what their definations and syntexts are. (Try to translate in today's language the word "Mouse") Of course we are in a trade off of on the one hand having a better knowlege of the language, but the translators tend to be either fundamentalists or modernists and this slants their translations.

What is wise is to use different Bibles, and some for different purposes. Hiphop, cottenwood, and "God is Real Man!" for those of those backgrounds for general knowlege of the Bible. The Good News, Children's International and NIV for quick and easy reading and for some dynamics (and know their shortfalls: such as the NIV being too evangelical and fundamentalist); and Bibles like the RSV, NASB, and my favorite the Anchor Bible for more deeper study.

Now if you think this is confusing, our Old Testament today is based on one Biblical family of texts, the Messeritic text which comes from the Babylonian Family. In Jesus' day there were 3 families of texts: Babylonian, Palestanian and Egyptian families, each with their different translations and versions (which is why when we read Old Testament quotes in the New Testament, unless the translator decided to smooth it over, we find it a little different from if we were to turn back to our Old Testament and read the verse. And most of us don't realize that the Sermon on the Mt. is a quote from Isaiah, because that passage in Isaiah is quite different in the dead sea scrools, a version of the Palestinian text, than the Babylon text that the Massorites used). So we have only one family. In Jesus' and Paul's day they had even more to choose from. (Jesus appears to have had a different version or versions of the Palestinian texts as it is related to the Dead Sea Scrools but not quite. And Paul appears to have used different versions of of the Egyptian family)

The variations in translations include: different possible ways of translating the text, the condition of the text that they are being used (such as the missing verses in Mark were missing in older manuscrips, but since it was at the end it could have been dammaged) The so called "Missing verses" tend to be put in footnotes. There are reasons for the translations to translate the way they do and it would be wise to check out why they do.

I would be careful with anything W.W. Prescott, I have a whole study which I will look for and post later.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Rosangela] #137741
11/30/11 11:11 AM
11/30/11 11:11 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Quote:
I'm surprised to hear you say that, Rosangela. It reveals a shocking deviation to open-mindedness.

I've never considered myself close-minded, Jack. My mind is always open to truth.
All Bible translations contribute to the comprehension of Scripture.
I would disagree, some contribute to confusion and distortion as witness to the issues in understanding the GodHead.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: kland] #137742
11/30/11 11:15 AM
11/30/11 11:15 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Rick H
Originally Posted By: geoffm
What a pleasure to see the KJV upheld and the others based on the vaticannes manuscripts questioned, when for so long those who raised questions were condemned and silenced.
Well, I was given a NIV version and used it for many years and then I was watching a video in which it said to check your Bible to see what was missing or changed and sure enough the NIV was missing it so went back to KJV. But I wanted to know why it was changed or missing so started to look and it was all out there, people just have to look.
I also watched a video saying why the KJV was best. I was hoping to be informed by it. I sat through the whole thing, the ridicules and everything, and as near as I could understand, he was saying the KJV was better because it had more.

I'm not sure "more" is better. If it had more errors, that wouldn't mean it was better. I just don't think concluding something is better because it has more is correct. I've heard others say it is better because it has less errors. Just being less wrong doesn't make something more right to me. Wrong is still wrong. The SDA commentary has numerous instances after numerous instances where it says things such as, "better translated is ....".

Something I've heard, but don't know if it was correct, is that the Catholic church preserved the Bible, and the KJV came from it. I also understand some of the modern versions are translated by comparing many of the dead sea scrolls, scrolls which did not exist before 1798. How does that fit in?

If a verse was added, and it is later found out to be added and in error, how can we say the KJV better because it has "missing" verses? How do we determine whether KJV should or should not have those verses, how do we know the textus receptus is correct?

Now, I don't understand everything you said as it was rather lengthy, but could you pick an example of a verse we could discuss? Also, how should we determine the correct translation of that verse?
Its not so much that it is the 'best; but the fact it is based on 7000 manuscripts not 2 Alexandrian "Gnostic Gospels" / manuscripts once thought to have been entirely destroyed during the early Christian struggle to guard "orthodoxy"and suddenly one pops up in 1844 right as the truth is being unveiled to Adventism, you think that is coincidence?

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Green Cochoa] #137743
11/30/11 11:17 AM
11/30/11 11:17 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
On the other hand, the KJV includes texts that it shouldn't include, like the Comma Johanneum of 1 John 5:7.

The so-called "Comma" is unproven one way or the other, but the evidence does seem to lean more against it. As it cannot be fully proven, I have chosen to stay out of the controversy on it. Mrs. White never quoted it in her writings, and I guess perhaps we don't need it. But it doesn't contradict any of the rest of Scripture either, nor does it give us any new doctrine which is not supported elsewhere.

That said, it is true that there are errors in every version of the Bible, including the King James Version. However, I feel confident I could point out 10 errors in the NIV for every error pointed out from the KJV, and the NIV errors are more egregious.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
So I have one question for you GC, does it agree with the rest of scripture or disagree?

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Rosangela] #137744
11/30/11 11:19 AM
11/30/11 11:19 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Quote:
Maybe you should note that most of them do away with most SDA doctrines.

I would like to see evidence of this.
Not 'most' but does have a affect, I will look for my study on it..

Last edited by Rick H; 11/30/11 11:20 AM.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Green Cochoa] #137746
11/30/11 11:21 AM
11/30/11 11:21 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Quote:
Maybe you should note that most of them do away with most SDA doctrines.

I would like to see evidence of this.
Do your own research and you will see evidence of this, though I'm not sure I would go so far as to say "most SDA doctrines." I'm not sure we have an accurate count of our doctrines, first of all, and secondly, it is not the number of doctrines affected which is so important as their relevance to our salvation.

The newer perversions change the Plan of Redemption into another gospel--a false one. That is sobering.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
True and more

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: JAK] #137747
11/30/11 11:23 AM
11/30/11 11:23 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Kevin, you just re-posted the whole thing. dunno How does that help? I read it closer this time, thinking I missed something the first time, and this long and rambling cut and paste has nothing at all to do with the discussion. (Insert "rolling eyeballs" smilie here)
Yes, I dont get it either.. dunno

Page 5 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 42 43

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!