HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Bobryan] #138297
12/21/11 02:02 PM
12/21/11 02:02 PM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
Indeed - the idea that there is a number soooooo large that you cannot write it out 10 x 10^10^10^10^10 (etc) is silly. The only such number is infinity .

That "number that is not infinite yet too high to name" idea is not "why some early SDAs were not Trinitarian". The non-trinitarian members of the SDA denomination in the 1800's were from the church of the brethren - or Christian connection. Those denominations were already non-Trinitarian so James White and Uriah Smith and some others who came out of those groups - were predisposed to that belief.

in Christ,

Bob

Sorry, Bob, that's not a reason, either. We're the people of the Book, testing history with the Bible, not just relying on it.

Our church published, taught and believed in Jesus, the only begotten Son of God. Have you seen some of the publications by all the church leaders - yes, all of them!! - of the 19th and some in the 20th century saying so? That's the bedrock difference with our 30 year old trinitarianism (it wasn't official belief till 1980). Yes, Jesus is God because he is begotten of God in the express image of his person. SDA trinitarianism, in contrast, is not like the Nicene Creed, did you know?

Several leading pastors living till the 50s & 60s held to their conviction on that historic teaching, because it's in the Bible and SOP, and their students & fellow church members agreed with them. Judson Washburn, Charles S. Longacres, and W R French: leading theologians and evangelists, and well documented. Their story is told, here, too: http://theprophetstillspeaks.co.uk/SBDH.htm

Last edited by Colin; 12/21/11 02:31 PM.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Colin] #138298
12/21/11 04:11 PM
12/21/11 04:11 PM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
When mentioning James White, don't forget towards the end of his life he wrote a letter saying that the arguments for the trinity was starting to make more sense to him than the arguments against the trinity. And if you were to read Mrs. White's letters in the White Estate vault, there as quite a bit of corrispondence with Elder Washburn over how, dispite his massive quoting of Mrs. White, that she keep telling him that he does not understand her message. He kept making excuses to accept the quotes he liked but reject these messages saying that his understanding of Adventism was wrong.

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Colin] #138303
12/21/11 05:21 PM
12/21/11 05:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
M: Colin, taken to its logical conclusion, the anti-trinitarian view means the Father spent eternity all alone in an empty and formless universe. How do you reconcile it?

C: God the Father wouldn't do that to himself, of course, so we shouldn't speculate to that 'logical' outcome.

If what you say is true, God didn't have a choice. He was eternally all alone in a dark, empty universe until the day Jesus happened. Or, do you have evidence to suggest God wasn't alone?

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Mountain Man] #138308
12/21/11 06:18 PM
12/21/11 06:18 PM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
I don't really mind being the only one here saying so, but it's a bit odd, really, too:

Is Jesus the literal Son of God, "begotten in the express image of the Father's person, and in all the brightness of his majesty and glory, one equal with God in authority, dignity, and divine perfection. In him dwelt all the fullness of the Godhead bodily", as Ellen White wrote, as it is written in Heb 1:1-4 and many places else in the Bible?

What does this mean? - written in relation to Heb 1
Originally Posted By: EGW
God is the Father of Christ; Christ is the Son of God. To Christ has been given an exalted position. He has been made equal with the Father. All the counsels of God are opened to His Son. {8T 268.3}

And then, this
Originally Posted By: EGW
The Sovereign of the universe was not alone in His work of beneficence. He had an associate—a co-worker who could appreciate His purposes, and could share His joy in giving happiness to created beings. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.” John 1:1, 2. Christ, the Word, the only begotten of God, was one with the eternal Father—one in nature, in character, in purpose—the only being that could enter into all the counsels and purposes of God. “His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6. His “goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.” Micah 5:2. And the Son of God declares concerning Himself: “The Lord possessed Me in the beginning of His way, before His works of old. I was set up from everlasting.... When He appointed the foundations of the earth: then I was by Him, as one brought up with Him: and I was daily His delight, rejoicing always before Him.” Proverbs 8:22-30. {PP 34.1}
The Father wrought by His Son in the creation of all heavenly beings. “By Him were all things created, ... whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him.” Colossians 1:16. Angels are God’s ministers, radiant with the light ever flowing from His presence and speeding on rapid wing to execute His will. But the Son, the anointed of God, the “express image of His person,” “the brightness of His glory,” “upholding all things by the word of His power,” holds supremacy over them all. Hebrews 1:3. {34.2}

What's her point? What's she getting at?? Doesn't sound like January's first week's lesson, does it: what's the difference? cool

Maybe this'll help some. smile
Quote:
“The Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of the Father, is truly God in
infinity, but not in personality
.” (Ellen G. White, manuscript 116, Dec. 19, 1905, ‘An Entire Consecration’, see also The Upward Look, page 367)

Any clearer, now?

Last edited by Colin; 12/21/11 06:55 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Kevin H] #138318
12/22/11 03:52 AM
12/22/11 03:52 AM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Kevin H
When mentioning James White,...with Elder Washburn.

Whatever they objected to in the Nicene Creed - and there remain objectionables there, what is objectionable in today's 1980 and onwards SDA trinity teaching??

Yes, it's an SDA doctrine, for it's very different to the Nicene Creed, actually. More pertinent to us: it scraps the teaching that Jesus is the pre-existent only begotten Son of God. Now, that's objectionable.

Judson Washburn and the others, famous or not, who objected to the Nicene Creed's mysticism and its other problems, mostly didn't live to see Adventism formally adopt its own trinitarianism. I hope 1980 wasn't the year chosen to introduce the fundamental beliefs the trinity doctrine as central as the Bible only for being at least ten years after the last of the famous theologians opposing the trinity doctrine had died. It's just possible that the famous few would have objected as Milian L. Andreasen objected to Questions on Doctrine 40-odd years prior to 1980. OTOH, it may truly have been one campaign of objections too many, all at once, with the debate on Christ's humanity on top of the righteousness by faith dispute in full swing already. cool

30 years into our trinitarian history, it's time, now, to sort out the trinity doctrine debate and confusion in our church, as it has been waiting its turn. Yes, it's the doctrine that's opposed, not the three Powers of heaven. smile

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Colin] #138319
12/22/11 07:50 AM
12/22/11 07:50 AM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
The issue is man doesnt understand the nature of the GodHead, how Christ can be the Son and at the same time be the Creator, the great I AM, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, Lord of the Sabbath, and yes, everlasting Father....

2 Thessalonians 2:15-17
King James Version (KJV)
15Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
16Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,
17Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Last edited by Rick H; 12/22/11 11:25 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Rick H] #138321
12/22/11 12:04 PM
12/22/11 12:04 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Those who believe that Christ is not from the same "eternity past" as in "from ever lasting to everlasting" just as is attributed to YHWH in the OT - have an issue in Micah 5:2 where the same term is used as in Ps 90:2 for YHWH and eternity past. And the result is that they in fact believe that God the Father spent "eternity alone" without Christ before that in-finite-time birth/creation of Christ.

As for Ellen White saying that Christ was never made/created/born of God before His incarnation --
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

God always has been. He is the great I AM. The psalmist declares, "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God." Ps. 90:2. He is the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity. "I am the Lord, I change not," He declares. With Him there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. He is "the same yesterday, and to day and for ever." Heb. 13:8. (Christ) He is infinite and omnipresent. No words of ours can describe His greatness and majesty. {FLB 42.3}

Christ is the pre-existent, self-existent Son of God. . . . In speaking of His pre-existence, Christ carries the mind back through dateless ages. He assures us that there never was a time when He was not in close fellowship with the eternal God. . . . {FLB 46.3}

Christ was God essentially, and in the highest sense. He was with God from all eternity, God over all, blessed forevermore. The Lord Jesus Christ, the divine Son of God, existed from eternity, a distinct person, yet one with the Father. He was the surpassing glory of heaven. He was the commander of the heavenly intelligences, and the adoring homage of the angels was received by Him as His right. {FLB 46.5}
He was equal with God, infinite and omnipotent. {FLB 46.6}

It was Christ who from the bush on Mount Horeb spoke to Moses saying, "I AM THAT I AM: ... Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you." This was the pledge of Israel's deliverance. So when He came "in the likeness of men," He declared Himself the I AM. The Child of Bethlehem, the meek and lowly Saviour, is God "manifest in the flesh." 1 Tim. 3:16. {FLB 47.5}

Last edited by Bobryan; 12/22/11 12:06 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Rick H] #138327
12/22/11 07:04 PM
12/22/11 07:04 PM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Rick H
The issue is man doesnt understand the nature of the GodHead, how Christ can be the Son and at the same time be the Creator, the great I AM, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, Lord of the Sabbath, and yes, everlasting Father....

We don't understand?? smile

Why, he's "God himself in the person of his Son". grin

As for "everlasting father", since he clearly isn't God the Father, who is God his Father, how is this to be interpreted? What about Jesus the Second Adam and what that means for us? He who is God's eternal Son is become the everlasting human Father of mankind, especially of those who believe.

Your first text shows that God our Father cannot be replaced by Christ as our divine Father, as God the Father isn't Christ, not so: how about what I just suggested, above.
Quote:
2 Thessalonians 2:15-17
King James Version (KJV)
15Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
16Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,
17Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Last edited by Colin; 12/22/11 07:12 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Bobryan] #138328
12/22/11 08:40 PM
12/22/11 08:40 PM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
Those who believe that Christ is not from the same "eternity past" as in "from ever lasting to everlasting" just as is attributed to YHWH in the OT - have an issue in Micah 5:2 where the same term is used as in Ps 90:2 for YHWH and eternity past. And the result is that they in fact believe that God the Father spent "eternity alone" without Christ before that in-finite-time birth/creation of Christ.

Does being of the same nature as God his Father prevent him being God's own Son from eternity? Being the self-existent Son is compatible with being God's only begotten Son: she speaks of both.

Why get hung up over eternity and Christ's pre-existence with his Father: Christ created eternity - for he is above everything created, being himself the uncreated begotten Son of the Eternal God. He is the Word and Wisdom of God, too, so was with God from the beginning. Remember, PP 34.1 says Prov 8:22-30 applies personally to him, agreeing, of course, with Ps 90:2 about Father and Son. Prof. Richard Davidson wrote in the ATS journal that in Prov 8:23 "set up" means to be born: now, Sister White and the Bible combine to posit that, as v.23 there, before creation. Given Jn 1:1, what's all this discussion about? The Word of God was begotten as God's own Son: what could be simpler a Bible truth. grin

She also says, btw, that he is the Son of the infinite God. Being divine, he is also infinite by nature, but equally Son of the infinite God. It's not in his divine nature to trumpet that, though.

It should be in our Christian nature, too, not to want to understand God to the uttermost question for the sake of a rationalised doctrine - the trinity doctrine: how close is such an enquiry to wanting to be like God, knowing everything? And, the Adversary who went that far and never relented, also denied that the Son of God is the Son of God, exalted rightfully above Lucifer, the highest created being in heaven and the universe - the highest being in heaven after God's Son. Lucifer refused to have Christ as his Lord, denying his supremacy over angels as the Son of God.

Best not to put in to the teaching of Christ's pre-existent existence an aloneness of his Father that isn't there except in our imagination: we reckon there's a difference, but Scripture & SOP assure us there isn't. The answer is, simply: No. Is our "reckoning" by faith or more by reason?
Quote:
As for Ellen White saying that Christ was never made/created/born of God before His incarnation --
-------------------------------------------------------

No, Bobryan, that not what I said, or what I believe. cool smile
Quote:

God always has been. He is the great I AM. The psalmist declares, "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God." Ps. 90:2. He is the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity. "I am the Lord, I change not," He declares. With Him there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. He is "the same yesterday, and to day and for ever." Heb. 13:8. (Christ) He is infinite and omnipresent. No words of ours can describe His greatness and majesty. {FLB 42.3}

Christ is the pre-existent, self-existent Son of God. . . . In speaking of His pre-existence, Christ carries the mind back through dateless ages. He assures us that there never was a time when He was not in close fellowship with the eternal God. . . . {FLB 46.3}

Christ was God essentially, and in the highest sense. He was with God from all eternity, God over all, blessed forevermore. The Lord Jesus Christ, the divine Son of God, existed from eternity, a distinct person, yet one with the Father. He was the surpassing glory of heaven. He was the commander of the heavenly intelligences, and the adoring homage of the angels was received by Him as His right. {FLB 46.5}
He was equal with God, infinite and omnipotent. {FLB 46.6}

It was Christ who from the bush on Mount Horeb spoke to Moses saying, "I AM THAT I AM: ... Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you." This was the pledge of Israel's deliverance. So when He came "in the likeness of men," He declared Himself the I AM. The Child of Bethlehem, the meek and lowly Saviour, is God "manifest in the flesh." 1 Tim. 3:16. {FLB 47.5}

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Rosangela] #138362
12/24/11 05:45 PM
12/24/11 05:45 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
First, it's Ellen White who said that Christ's divinity didn't die because divinity can't die.

If you can find it without too much trouble, I'd like to see that quote.

Regarding the trinity doctrine, it may have been better to call our view of the deity something else, to make it clear we don't subscribe to all the particulars of what other denominations call the trinity, but I can see the rationale for adopting the label. Ellen White who is very precise in her selection of words never used the term herself.

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!