HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 2,880 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Bobryan] #138552
01/02/12 08:35 PM
01/02/12 08:35 PM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
No, the HS is "the Spirit in the fulness of the Godhead".

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Bobryan] #138561
01/03/12 07:39 AM
01/03/12 07:39 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Colin
I believe there are three members of the Godhead, or, better put, there are three persons who possess the Godhead. This is the opposite to "three persons in one God"! - three in whom is the Godhead is not three in one God. grin

This appears to be not far from the Monkey King's transformations (for the Buddhist perspective). Are you saying that there is really only one God, but that He takes three different forms?
Originally Posted By: Bobryan

I believe there are three members of the Godhead, or, better put, there are three persons who possess the Godhead. This is the opposite to "three persons in one God"! - three in whom is the Godhead is not three in one God. grin

In your view - is the Holy Spirit "1/3 of God"??

It looks to me like he's saying that each of the members of the Godhead are 100% of God, or something like an alias to the same substance.

I must say here, I disagree, and I would seriously question the logic and support for such a view.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Green Cochoa] #138585
01/04/12 05:34 PM
01/04/12 05:34 PM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

This appears to be not far from the Monkey King's transformations (for the Buddhist perspective). Are you saying that there is really only one God, but that He takes three different forms?

.....? smile

Three forms that 'he, the one God', takes? No, 'one God in three forms' - or persons - a divine entity or being: no. smile That phrase is an unhelpful doctrinal formula, and is it really reflecting Bible teaching? The oneness of God is because of one divine nature, for how can a triune God, a group, be the personal, individual God we know who gave us his Son?

The Father is God, as the bible says:
Quote:
There is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things, and we in him, and one Lord Jesus Christ by whom are all things, and we by him. (1 Cor 8:6,7)

Those highlights distinguish both their roles side by side and their relation, Jesus being the Son of God.
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Bobryan

In your view - is the Holy Spirit "1/3 of God"??

It looks to me like he's saying that each of the members of the Godhead are 100% of God, or something like an alias to the same substance.

I must say here, I disagree, and I would seriously question the logic and support for such a view.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

I'm not offended by your disagreement, GC, as the question is whether the doctrine of the trinity is compatible with the belief in the Godhead - to which I say no while we are told it most certainly is. Now, remember, we are saved, in the final analysis, by knowing God the Father and Jesus whom he has sent (Jn 17:3), not by endorsing a formulated definition of God. Belonging to the remnant movement also helps, today. wink

....Aliases? Interchangeable forms, all at once or only one at a time? That sounds modalistic, and not what I believe.

"100% of God": that would be each taking up all the being of God..., so that the triune God's entire "one God" 'capacity' would be taken up completely really by only one of them at a time? I think I can conceptualise what you're suggesting I'm talking about,....but did I get it?

No, is the answer. smile

Col 1 is amazing! We all know v.15-18 very well. What about v.19?
Quote:
For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell

This is repeated in Col 2:9, but chapter one brings the Father into the picture. Isn't the messsage of the whole Bible that God the Father is the infinite God personally, and in his Son is the nature of infinite divinity as the only begotten of God but he is not the Father personally since he is a distinct individual beside God his Father. Col 1:19 cannot refer only to the Son of God on earth, given what else Colossians chapter one says, let alone the rest of the Bible.

The Spirit of God is, naturally, the infinite Spirit of the deity, Godhead, divine nature possessed by the Father and rightfully, naturally possessed also by his Son - Lucifer must have been blinded by pride from seeing that, for he challenged and "obscured" Christ's authority & supremacy over the angels as God's Son! It represents them to their intelligent creation as well as belonging to them, naturally. Manifesting their presence to us, in us (Jn 14:23), is when we hear him, the Spirit, speak of Christ, etc. That's personality if ever there was God's personal presence with us by grace & faith, by his Spirit indwelling us. Btw, making the Spirit more than God's omnipresence within us - so, making him a real person like them - takes away God and Christ's own personal individuality in heaven, did you know?

In Father & Son each is the fulness of the Godhead bodily: that's Biblical. There's no three persons contained in one divine entity called the triune God: doesn't fit, does it?

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Colin] #138619
01/07/12 02:35 AM
01/07/12 02:35 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Colin,

I guess the "Johannine Comma" is likely becoming a magnet for this same discussion. I just posted something in that thread that might also apply to your post above.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Green Cochoa] #138651
01/08/12 11:05 PM
01/08/12 11:05 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
There is a massive disconnect relative to this topic because new meanings have been poured into established terms...
...This is a classic example of such.

The Trinity Doctrine identifies ONE God that is without parts - a Nature, Substance or essence...
...This "Substance" is beyond understanding in an infinite sense.
...There are Three distinct Persons who equally possess this ONE Substance ( Father, Son & Holy Spirit ).

In Trinitarian Theology the word "Person" identifies the relationship each member of the Trinity has with each other...
...It does not equate to "PERSONALITY" as identified by Sister White or the Pioneers.

When Sock Puppet says, 'Personality of God' that term explicitly means...
...That God has a "BODY of FLESH" and God is ONLY the Father.
...This can be demonstrated ad nauseum in all our publications throughout sock puppets' life.
...And prior to her exposure in the core grouping of those that became the Pioneers of the SDA faith.

Make no mistake in understanding that 'The Personality of God' was a fundamental Doctrine...
...For on it stand everthing distinctive within the SDA faith.
...The Sanctuary teaching / state of the dead & act of Salvation itself ALL rest on God having a body.

Review and Herald October 8, 1903
OF late the question has repeatedly come to me, Does it make any real difference whether we believe in the personality of God, as long as we believe in God? My answer invariably is, It depends altogether upon the standpoint from which we view it. If from the Spiritualist's, -the Christian Scientist's, the Universalist's, or if from the standpoint of any other " ist" or " ism," it makes but little or no difference. But from the standpoint of Seventh-day Adventists it makes all the difference in the world. No man who is a Seventh-day Adventist can understandingly take that position; neither can 'a Seventh-day Adventist 'hold that position for a moment. In it is involved a denial of the " Father and the Son," the law of Moses, the prophets, the psalms, the holy angels, the personality of the devil, and all that is according to sound doctrine.
http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH19031008-V80-40__B.pdf#view=fit

Sock Puppet was explicit when God said through her to Dr. Kellogg;

"You are not definitely clear on the personality of God, which is everything to us as a people. You have virtually destroyed the Lord God Himself".--Letter 300, 1903. {5BIO 292.4}

Kellogg had stated that He had come to believe in the Trinity and as a requirement of that Doctrine...
...Made the theological affirmation that God was ALSO the Holy Spirit.
...This destroyed the "Personality of God".
...Because the Adventist faith taught God was a literal Person with a literal dwelling place.

Most Adventists are shocked to learn that Ellen White and EVERY Pioneer were Anthropomorhites...
...This is absolutely indisputable fact.
...Which can be confirmed by simply reading our denominational publications.
...And date checking explicit statements made by Sock Puppet.

The Pioneers were most vocal in repudiating that section of the Creeds which reject God has a body...
...And they took special care to 1st mention the Methodist Creedal statements.
...Prior to moving on in repudiating the other Denominations.

See, 'The Personality of God'.
http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH18780905-V52-11__B.pdf#search=%22 god has a body %22&view=fit

http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH18780912-V52-12__B.pdf#search=%22 god has a body %22&view=fit

http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/BR/BR1884__B/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=152

http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/BTS/BTS19061001-V05-05__C/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=9

"Is the Soul Immortal" page 1
http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH18550918-V07-06__B/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=1

"Moral Image and Moral Likeness" page 4
http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH18600105-V15-07__B/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=4

"Spiritualism as it is" ( claims saying God w/out a body = spiritualism ).
http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH18650711-V26-06__B/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=4

"God has literal eyes and ears and every member, part and ORGAN of a perfect man"
http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH18900902-V67-34__B/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=4

"God is a literal Person, page 8"
http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH18900902-V67-34__B/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=4

"God is a literal Person who dwells in heaven and Christ is with God there.

There is a slew more I can URL link but I'm fairly sure anyone can get the idea...
...The God of the Pioneers and Ellen White was the Father.
...And they believed to the last person that the Father had a body.

Anyone who promulgated that "GOD" was a simple infinite substance that three distinct Persons possessed...
...Was promulgating "SPIRITUALISM" or "PANTHEISM", period.
...Because that belief "DESTROYED THE PERSONALITY ( body ) of God.
...Who was understood to be the ONLY WISE God.

Last edited by cephalopod; 01/08/12 11:06 PM.
Reply Quote
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!