HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,289 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
Re: Astronomy question [Re: Tom] #138928
01/20/12 11:27 AM
01/20/12 11:27 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
I believe our earth sat here for some time before Creation Week, and it was during that week that something was made of it, and life was put into it.

Do you mean like billions of years? Or a small amount of time? Do you have some reason for thinking so other than a linguistic one? As I've pointed out, the Genesis 1 passage is greatly debated as to the implication of prior existence of the earth.

I have no problem thinking the earth was here for billions of years prior to Creation Week. The figure we hear in the Bible time and time again regarding times before our creation is "eternity." Eternity is more than a little longer than 5 billion years.

I do not have any particular agreement with the 4.56 billion-year figure (or whatever scientists have changed it to now to accommodate their theories). In fact, I think it may well have been longer than any such figure.

Why is it that God would not have created life anywhere in the universe much before that which was made here? Ellen White tells of life forms on other planets, and I do not suppose these to have been created all at the same time, nor just in our era. I believe that the angels and beings on other planets may well have existed for billions of years. Certainly, they may not have either. But God is "from everlasting to everlasting." He could have made a new planet each year--or perhaps He started by creating the planetary shells, setting them in motion, then set about to add life forms to each one in its time. We simply do not know.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. (Psalm 90:2)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Astronomy question [Re: Tom] #138929
01/20/12 12:06 PM
01/20/12 12:06 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
To my way of thinking, a star burning out implies something went wrong somewhere. Certainly the sun won't ever burn out, correct?

I think it may burn out. God has options, of course, in how to manage things. But I would point out that in Revelation it does not say that the New Earth will not have the sun, it says only that it will not need the light from the sun. We are told that we will still meet together every seventh-day for Sabbath, and those days are defined by the sun. In fact, what is a day to us may not be a "day" on another planet. The word "day" is relative, and in our case our days and years are defined by the relative rotations of the earth on its axis and around the sun.

Enter some scientific theory.

Our sun is losing a tremendous amount of mass every day. On top of emitting a substantial amount of light (which I believe is not mass-less), there are gases that manage to escape the sun's gravity and sail away as well, such as by the activity of a solar flare.

Scientists believe in the "conservation of energy" theory. According to this theory, energy can never be created nor destroyed, but is always conserved. It can only change forms. (Or be relocated.) If our sun is losing tons (literally) of mass/energy every day, at some point, the energy must be used up.

It would be like lighting a Coleman lamp. Sure, the netting for the lamp contains some radioactive radium to help it glow so brightly when lit. But the lamp must run on fuel, and the fuel has a limited lifespan before it is used up. The lamp is not filling itself with more fuel as the fuel is burned. Someone like you or me could add fuel before the lamp burns out. Or we could just let it burn out. We could even bring in an entirely new lamp to replace the empty one.

I see God as having those same options with the sun. The sun is slowly burning out. At some point, should the mass lost by the sun never be replaced, the sun will be gone. God could either "refill" the sun, or replace it. And where I can think of a couple of options, God would have a couple thousand options.

Thanks for sharing your ideas. What do you think of the following:

Quote:
3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

That is, if the evening and the morning were the first day on day one of the creation week, why would this be the case if the sun and the earth already existed? What would drawing dry land from an already existing wet earth have to do with this?

I don't believe the sun existed prior to Creation Week. I believe it was a new portion of the creation. God created the sun on Day 4, and set the moon in place then too. Regarding the Light, I believe that since the sun is not made until several days later, the light that we see on Day 1 is a reference to the light of God's presence. He had come to earth. His presence was here. And God is light.

This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. (1 John 1:5)

The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the LORD shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory. (Isaiah 60:19)

Looking more closely at the Creation Week passage, one can see some significant symbolism to it. Examine the following parallelism.

And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. (Genesis 1:4)

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7)

Then notice that we are told in Revelation that there will be "no more night." These things are highly symbolic, and go beyond a literal reading. God has, through His literal creation, spoken His profound truths to us.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Astronomy question [Re: Green Cochoa] #138930
01/20/12 12:15 PM
01/20/12 12:15 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
What would drawing dry land from an already existing wet earth have to do with this?

Again, God is using some literal objects as lessons and symbols of a greater truth. Have you read from the beginning of this topic? I have explained in that thread some of the symbols I see in Creation Week, including this one.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Astronomy question [Re: Green Cochoa] #138934
01/20/12 03:30 PM
01/20/12 03:30 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I have no problem thinking the earth was here for billions of years prior to Creation Week. The figure we hear in the Bible time and time again regarding times before our creation is "eternity." Eternity is more than a little longer than 5 billion years.

You're saying that the earth has existed for eternity? Or matter? It's not clear to me what your point is here.

Quote:
I don't believe the sun existed prior to Creation Week. I believe it was a new portion of the creation. God created the sun on Day 4, and set the moon in place then too.

Your thoughts are that the earth is billions of years old, like 5 billion or so as the scientists say, but the sun is only a few thousand years old? Why would you think that? The especially confusing part is that scientists base the age of the earth on a principle, uniformalism, which you are rejecting with reference to the sun.

I haven't read any posts for months. What I posted here was just based on something I've been thinking about and trying to understand better.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Astronomy question [Re: Tom] #138935
01/20/12 03:36 PM
01/20/12 03:36 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
You're saying that the earth has existed for eternity? Or matter? It's not clear to me what your point is here.
No. Sorry if that wasn't clear. What I mean is that there is an eternity of time during which our earth might have had its beginning. I do not believe the earth has been here eternally. But since God has existed from eternity, He could have begun our earth at any time in the past--leaving a lot of room in that space of time for a date.

Your thoughts are that the earth is billions of years old, like 5 billion or so as the scientists say, but the sun is only a few thousand years old? Why would you think that? The especially confusing part is that scientists base the age of the earth on a principle, uniformalism, which you are rejecting with reference to the sun.

Yes, I would reject uniformalism. I do not believe the scientists can be much trusted with regards to dates for things.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Astronomy question [Re: Green Cochoa] #138957
01/20/12 10:46 PM
01/20/12 10:46 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree about science not being able to date things well. It seems to me unlikely that the universe would be existing for billions of years without there being life, and also unlikely that the angels and other life forms have been around for billions of years. There doesn't seem to be any hint of that which I can see in the writings of inspiration.

I'm not understanding your idea of the earth existing for billions of years, but the sun being created on the fourth day of creation, and existing for a few thousand years. Have I understood you correctly? If so, why does this seem logical to you?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Astronomy question [Re: Green Cochoa] #138958
01/20/12 10:57 PM
01/20/12 10:57 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
EGW says that the sun on the New Earth will be seven times brighter than it is now. She goes on to say that the Moon will also be seven times brighter than it is now. Actually, she says that in reverse as quoted below:
Quote:
The world will be bathed in the light of heaven. The years will move on in gladness. The light of the moon will be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun will be sevenfold greater than it is now. Over the scene the morning stars will sing together, and the sons of God will shout for joy, while God and Christ will unite in proclaiming: "There shall be no more sin, neither shall there be any more death." {8T 42.1}

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Astronomy question [Re: Daryl] #138962
01/21/12 12:16 AM
01/21/12 12:16 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
That's from Isa. 30:26

Quote:
Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the LORD bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound. (Isa. 30:26)

Re: Astronomy question [Re: Tom] #138963
01/21/12 12:35 AM
01/21/12 12:35 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
TY Tom.

Nice to have both to read in front of us. thumbsup

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Astronomy question [Re: Tom] #138966
01/21/12 12:55 AM
01/21/12 12:55 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I'm not understanding your idea of the earth existing for billions of years, but the sun being created on the fourth day of creation, and existing for a few thousand years. Have I understood you correctly? If so, why does this seem logical to you?

My idea for this is based strictly on my understanding of the Biblical record. According to the Bible, the essential elements of earth pre-existed Creation Week. It does not appear to be the same with regard to the sun.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

That God says "Let there be lights" in this manner parallels the other creations where the same language of "Let there be..." or "Let the earth bring forth..." is used. All of God's creations during that week appear to start with "Let." But those things which were already there are not prefaced this way. Instead, the action which shaped those elements is the direct object, as in "be gathered." (And perhaps it would have been a more literal translation to say "be apparent" in place of "appear.")
Of course, I'm not a Hebrew scholar, and I'm open to further study. Yet from what I see, the wording of the chapter is very precise and intentional. The word choices in this chapter appear deliberately calculated, almost like legal documents--unlike some other passages in the Bible. And the parallels between this chapter and the rest of the Bible are wonderful.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!