HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 32 of 38 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 37 38
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: cephalopod] #139527
02/06/12 06:31 PM
02/06/12 06:31 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
When the Bible says that God knows the end from the beginning...
...And the Bible says God declaired the end to all the prophets.
...And the prophets of the Bible say God would NOT fail.

And Sister White says He could have failed what do you seriously call that...
...If NOT a contradiction.

Well, the one you call a sock puppet said 139 times the same as the Bible - that God knows the end from the beginning. She also said:

“In past ages the Lord God of heaven revealed His secrets to His prophets, and this He does still. The present and the future are equally clear to Him, and He shows to His servants the future history of what shall be. The Omniscient looked down the ages, and predicted through His prophets the rise and fall of kingdoms, hundreds of years before the events foretold took place. The voice of God echoes down the ages, telling man what is to take place. Kings and princes take their places at their appointed time. They think they are carrying out their own purposes, but in reality they are fulfilling the word God has given through His prophets. They act their part in carrying out God's great purposes. Events fall into line, fulfilling the word God has spoken.” {UL 96.2}

"Ages before His incarnation, Christ distinctly chose His position. He foresaw His life of humiliation, His rejection and crucifixion, His victory over satanic agencies, His victory over death and the grave. He saw the world flooded with light and life, and heard the song of triumph sung by the millions rescued from the hold of Satan." {1NL 41.7}

Does God know the end from the beginning or doesn't He?
Or do you think that EGW contradicted herself? But if you think that she contradicted herself, you cannot believe that she was God's sock puppet. Which is it?

Quote:
When the Bible says that no man knows the day or season of the Coming of Christ...
...And our founding Pioneers "1st test" was a positive breaking of that warning from Christ.
...If that's not a contradiction I would hate to see what you thought one was.

EGW says they were right about the date and wrong about the event, and that even this was predicted in the Bible. So?

Quote:
...I showed you where both Sock Puppet AND our Church said Jesus restrained himself.
...From completing the foul desires he yearned to act out.
...Where is your answer to that?

Sorry, I didn't see where you showed me that Christ had foul desires that He yearned to act out. Now, I showed you that EGW said the foul desire is sin. Where is your answer to that?

Quote:
You realize that there is more than 100 absolute affirmations that God would not fail...
...In the same place the ones I posted came from.

Well, EGW says that "the plans of God cannot fail" (YI, September 1, 1892 par. 5). What you are saying is that the plan of salvation could fail and that she is contradicting herself?

Quote:
The Bible is silent on what would have happend if Christ failed...
...Because it's an alien idea to the Bible that Christ could fail.

Does the Bible say that His temptations were real or that they were a farce?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #139530
02/06/12 06:54 PM
02/06/12 06:54 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Sinful, fallen human nature can be reigned in and forced to live in harmony with the principles of God's law. It is done by uniting it with the divine nature. This is what Jesus did.

She contrasts Adam's posterity with Christ. She says Adam's posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience, but that Christ was the only begotten Son of God, and that not for one moment was there in Him a sinful propensity. IOW, He was different from the moment He was born. I don't think this is the same as what you said. Who reigned in His human nature and forced it to live in harmony with the principles of God's law while He was a baby?

Quote:
Is it possible to "pervert" character without sinning? Please explain.

First comes the perversion of character, then the sinful act. Before you sin, you must first choose selfishness instead of love. Although it could be said that the moment you choose selfishness you are already sinning (i. e., the perversion of character is in itself a sin).

Quote:
R: You may exhibit God's attributes but you do so intermitently, and this shows you have defects of character.
M: Can Jesus empower born-again believers to live without sinning this side of heaven? Please explain.
R: Yes, this is possible, but it doesn't happen instantaneously the moment you are born again.
M: Arnold doesn't believe it is possible until after Jesus returns and replaces our sinful nature with a sinless one.

I refer to conscious acts/thoughts of sin, not to our sinful nature. Those who will be living during the time of trouble won't sin (this doesn't mean they will be without sin).

Quote:
Again, having defects isn't the same as sinning. Do you believe it is possible to abide in Jesus and not act out our defective traits of character in sinful ways?

I think the answer would be the same as above.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Rosangela] #139536
02/06/12 08:34 PM
02/06/12 08:34 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela

Well, the one you call a sock puppet said 139 times the same as the Bible - that God knows the end from the beginning. She also said:

Then why did Sock Puppet affirm that Christ COULD HAVE lost his salvation....
...When the Bible says that Christ could NOT HAVE lost His salvation?
...For what you are saying to be true BOTH can't be true.

“In past ages the Lord God of heaven revealed His secrets to His prophets, and this He does still. The present and the future are equally clear to Him, and He shows to His servants the future history of what shall be. The Omniscient looked down the ages, and predicted through His prophets the rise and fall of kingdoms, hundreds of years before the events foretold took place. The voice of God echoes down the ages, telling man what is to take place. Kings and princes take their places at their appointed time. They think they are carrying out their own purposes, but in reality they are fulfilling the word God has given through His prophets. They act their part in carrying out God's great purposes. Events fall into line, fulfilling the word God has spoken.” {UL 96.2}

Then what do you do with the the following?

Sock Puppet
Many claim that it was impossible for Christ to be overcome by temptation. Then He could NOT have been placed in Adam's position; He could not have gained the victory that Adam failed to gain. If we have in any sense a more trying conflict than had Christ, then He would not be able to succor us. But our Saviour took humanity, with all its liabilities. He took the nature of man, with the possibility of yielding to temptation. We have nothing to bear which He has not endured. . . . In man's behalf, Christ conquered by enduring the severest test. For our sake He exercised a self-control stronger than hunger or death.--The Desire of Ages, p. 117. {7ABC

Sock Puppet
The new tomb enclosed Him in its rocky chambers. IF one single sin had tainted His character the stone would never have been rolled away from the door of His rocky chamber, and the world with its burden of guilt would have perished

Now Rosangela - do you have to exercise self control to refrain from robbing banks at gun or sword point?
...Do you exercise "self control" to keep from molesting children?

I'm not saying THOSE sins are "IN YOU" so that you would feel the yearning or pulling of those temptations however if you honestly believe Sock Puppet Christ would have felt the PULL OF EVERY SIN EVERY PERSON has had - so that he can succor those with the SAME TEMPTATIONS.

You should read James a little closer as well.

James 1,14
But EVERY man is tempted, WHEN he is drawn away of his OWN lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death

You realize Rosangela that YOU can indeed be tempted but if there is NOTHING inside of you that already lusts for the temptation you do not have to RESIST because you don't have the urge. i.e. you are tempted when YOU are drawn away of YOUR OWN lust.

If someone walks up to you and tempts you to hold a kid down so the both of you can molest it....
...You have been TEMPTED - if you are not a child molester you will be disgusted.
...Therefore because you don't YEARN for that sin you don't have to RESIST your own pulling toward it.
...A for real pedophile will see it differently than you.

So - was Christ REALLY tempted like you and I.....
...So it could be said He DENIED his desires, felt the pull.
...OR, like the Apostate churches claim in each case He felt as you would with the pedophile thing?

Think before you answer this because I have a whale sized list of quotes from Sock Puppet.

Does God know the end from the beginning or doesn't He?
Or do you think that EGW contradicted herself? But if you think that she contradicted herself, you cannot believe that she was God's sock puppet. Which is it?

You need to look at your logic again...
...Sister White was EXPLICIT Jesus could have failed.
...Even after God said through the prophets he would NOT.
...So what is it - Do you believe the prophets of the Bible buttered up prophecy.
...Or do you believe they were in error when they said Christ would not fail?

EGW says they were right about the date and wrong about the event, and that even this was predicted in the Bible. So?

AFTER-THE-FACT she said that...
...No one could know of the event being wrong when it wasn't even discovered for years AFTER the advertisted event.

Sorry, I didn't see where you showed me that Christ had foul desires that He yearned to act out. Now, I showed you that EGW said the foul desire is sin. Where is your answer to that?

Read James 1 and apply Sock Puppet's affirmation that Jesus had to RESIST temptations pulling on him.....
...Then ask yourself if you every denied your urge to molest a child.
...Get back to me on that.

Well, EGW says that "the plans of God cannot fail" (YI, September 1, 1892 par. 5). What you are saying is that the plan of salvation could fail and that she is contradicting herself?

See above.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: cephalopod] #139537
02/06/12 09:14 PM
02/06/12 09:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: Well, the one you call a sock puppet said 139 times the same as the Bible - that God knows the end from the beginning.
C: Then why did Sock Puppet affirm that Christ COULD HAVE lost his salvation....

I'll ask you something - did God know He was going to deliver the three hebrews from the burning fiery furnace? Yes or No?

Quote:
I'm not saying THOSE sins are "IN YOU" so that you would feel the yearning or pulling of those temptations however if you honestly believe Sock Puppet Christ would have felt the PULL OF EVERY SIN EVERY PERSON has had - so that he can succor those with the SAME TEMPTATIONS.

This makes no sense at all. Christ had to be tried to the uttermost, but not with the same sins we are. Could Christ be tempted by specifically feminine sins? Of course not; He was a man. Then how can He help women? Christ's temptations were so stronger than ours that we don't even understand what was involved in them. But He didn't need to have foul desires in order to experience that. Have you ever spent 40 days without eating? Have you ever seen Satan face to face? Have you ever been to a cross having the power to come down from it? If not, don't tell me the foul desires of human beings are stronger than that, and that sinners can have a more trying conflict than had Christ.

Quote:
James 1,14
But EVERY man is tempted, WHEN he is drawn away of his OWN lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death

You realize Rosangela that YOU can indeed be tempted but if there is NOTHING inside of you that already lusts for the temptation you do not have to RESIST because you don't have the urge. i.e. you are tempted when YOU are drawn away of YOUR OWN lust.

Really? How then were angels tempted? How were Adam and Eve tempted?
Of course temptation always appeals to a desire - however, it doesn't have to be a foul desire. Look at Christ's temptations - I don't see any foul desire in them.

Quote:
...Sister White was EXPLICIT Jesus could have failed.

Then answer my question about the three hebrews.

Quote:
R: Now, I showed you that EGW said the foul desire is sin. Where is your answer to that?
C: Read James 1 and apply Sock Puppet's affirmation that Jesus had to RESIST temptations pulling on him.....
...Then ask yourself if you every denied your urge to molest a child.
...Get back to me on that.

Ceph, EGW said the foul desire is sin. How do you explain that?

Quote:

You didn't answer this, but there is no real temptation if there is no possibility of failure. So, does the Bible portray Christ's temptations as real or as a farce?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Rosangela] #139542
02/07/12 01:36 AM
02/07/12 01:36 AM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosa

I'll ask you something - did God know He was going to deliver the three hebrews from the burning fiery furnace? Yes or No?

I believe He did and from what I know Sister White never said...
...Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego could have burned and could have eternally cease to exist.
...Like she said creature christ could have.

This makes no sense at all. Christ had to be tried to the uttermost, but not with the same sins we are. Could Christ be tempted by specifically feminine sins? Of course not; He was a man. Then how can He help women? Christ's temptations were so stronger than ours that we don't even understand what was involved in them. But He didn't need to have foul desires in order to experience that. Have you ever spent 40 days without eating? Have you ever seen Satan face to face? Have you ever been to a cross having the power to come down from it? If not, don't tell me the foul desires of human beings are stronger than that, and that sinners can have a more trying conflict than had Christ

I've already shown you the bible text that says we are ONLY tempted....
...WHEN we are drawn toward what we ALREADY lust for.
...Any number of people and situtations can offer temptation.
...But we are ONLY tempted when we are drawn toward a thing by our OWN LUST.

So, do you want to rethink your position here or re-state your question in any way...
...You're not making any sense at all.

Sock Puppet, Signs of the Times, March 30, 1904. {RC 37.6}Living the life of the Saviour, "overcoming every selfish desire", fulfilling bravely and cheerfully our duty to God and to those around us--this makes us more than conquerors. This prepares us to stand before the great white throne free from spot or wrinkle, having washed our robes of character, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb

Sock Puppet,BEcho, January 1, 1893 par. 3}
Will man take hold of this divine power which has been placed within his reach, and with determination and perseverance resist Satan, as Christ has given example in his conflict with the foe in the wilderness of temptation? God cannot save man against his will from the power of Satan's artifices. Man must work with his human power, aided by the divine power of Christ, to resist and to conquer at any cost to himself. In short, man must overcome as Christ overcame. Christ was a perfect overcomer; and we must be perfect, wanting nothing, without spot or blemish

Christ took upon Himself the infirmities AND sins of the flesh but to every sin He died, every lust He crucified, every selfish desire He denied himself and all for our sakes". Sabbath school 1923 #112

To every what He died?

Romans 6:6
Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin

You can't die to sin if you are ALREADY dead in sin.

Really? How then were angels tempted? How were Adam and Eve tempted? Of course temptation always appeals to a desire - however, it doesn't have to be a foul desire. Look at Christ's temptations - I don't see any foul desire in them.

Angels, God and Christ all had bodies of "flesh"....
...This is the meaning of the Pioneer & Sock Puppet phrase; PERSONALITY OF GOD.
...If you wouldn't call going to war against God treason and foul I shudder to think what you would call foul.

Then answer my question about the three hebrews

Already did.

Ceph, EGW said the foul desire is sin. How do you explain that?

Simple, Sock Puppet said it's only when we follow through with temptation that it becomes sin....
...There is NO OTHER WAY Jesus could have died to his sins.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Rosangela] #139549
02/07/12 04:36 PM
02/07/12 04:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Sinful, fallen human nature can be reigned in and forced to live in harmony with the principles of God's law. It is done by uniting it with the divine nature. This is what Jesus did.

R: She contrasts Adam's posterity with Christ. She says Adam's posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience, but that Christ was the only begotten Son of God, and that not for one moment was there in Him a sinful propensity. IOW, He was different from the moment He was born. I don't think this is the same as what you said. Who reigned in His human nature and forced it to live in harmony with the principles of God's law while He was a baby?

All the quotes I posted made it abundantly clear people are born-again with a new nature. "It is the privilege of every believer in Christ to possess Christ's nature, a nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression." Again, Ellen wrote:

Quote:
In their fallen nature people can do the very things God expects them to do through the help provided for them. {CTr 53.4}

His grace alone can enable us to resist and subdue the tendencies of our fallen nature. {CCh 322.8}

Our fallen nature must be purified, ennobled, consecrated by obedience to the truth. {5T 235.3}

To the careless, the indifferent, the unconcerned, those standing on the precipice of ruin, Christ says: Open the door of your heart; give Me entrance, and I will make you a child of God. I will transform your weak, sinful nature into the divine image, giving it beauty and perfection. {TMK 106.3}

The sinful nature is to be kept under the control of the Spirit of God. The transforming grace of Christ will bring the will into harmony with the will of Christ. {GCDB, February 6, 1893 par. 15}

He will sanctify every soul that will receive the gracious gift, and [will] give him power to become a son of God. He takes away the destructive tendencies of the sinful nature and brings the human agency into His service. {18MR 208.2}

Jesus enables us "to resist and subdue the tendencies of our fallen nature". It is "to be kept under the control of the Spirit of God". He also transforms our "weak, sinful nature into the divine image, giving it beauty and perfection". It is "purified, ennobled, consecrated by obedience to the truth". This is the sinful, human nature Jesus took upon His sinless, divine nature. In this state He was able to render acceptable and pleasing obedience. The same is true of believers. "In their fallen nature people can do the very things God expects them to do through the help provided for them." You seem to think, No, they cannot.

Quote:
M: Is it possible to "pervert" character without sinning? Please explain.

R: First comes the perversion of character, then the sinful act. Before you sin, you must first choose selfishness instead of love. Although it could be said that the moment you choose selfishness you are already sinning (i. e., the perversion of character is in itself a sin).

If it isn't possible to "pervert" character without sinning, then your earlier premise is incorrect.

Quote:
R: You may exhibit God's attributes but you do so intermitently, and this shows you have defects of character.
M: Can Jesus empower born-again believers to live without sinning this side of heaven? Please explain.
R: Yes, this is possible, but it doesn't happen instantaneously the moment you are born again.
M: Arnold doesn't believe it is possible until after Jesus returns and replaces our sinful nature with a sinless one.
R: I refer to conscious acts/thoughts of sin, not to our sinful nature. Those who will be living during the time of trouble won't sin (this doesn't mean they will be without sin).

What is the difference between "won't sin" and "doesn't mean they will be without sin"? Also, what is the difference between "sinful flesh nature" and "sinful human nature"?

Quote:
M: Again, having defects isn't the same as sinning. Do you believe it is possible to abide in Jesus and not act out our defective traits of character in sinful ways?
R: I think the answer would be the same as above.

Is having defective traits of character the same thing as acting them out in sinful ways - the same thing as sinning? Is there a difference between cultivated sinful traits of character and hereditary sinful, fallen human nature?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: cephalopod] #139554
02/07/12 05:13 PM
02/07/12 05:13 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: Well, the one you call a sock puppet said 139 times the same as the Bible - that God knows the end from the beginning.
C: Then why did Sock Puppet affirm that Christ COULD HAVE lost his salvation....
R: I'll ask you something - did God know He was going to deliver the three hebrews from the burning fiery furnace? Yes or No?
C: I believe He did and from what I know Sister White never said...
...Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego could have burned and could have eternally cease to exist.

Of course not. But she said their lives were at stake (RH, May 3, 1892 par. 9). So, Ellen White said that their lives were at stake, but God knew He would deliver them. Here risk and foreknowledge are perfectly compatible.
And by the way. The Bible doesn’t say that Christ COULD not fail, but that He WOULD not fail.

Quote:
R: This makes no sense at all. Christ had to be tried to the uttermost, but not with the same sins we are. Could Christ be tempted by specifically feminine sins? Of course not; He was a man. Then how can He help women? Christ's temptations were so stronger than ours that we don't even understand what was involved in them. But He didn't need to have foul desires in order to experience that. Have you ever spent 40 days without eating? Have you ever seen Satan face to face? Have you ever been to a cross having the power to come down from it? If not, don't tell me the foul desires of human beings are stronger than that, and that sinners can have a more trying conflict than had Christ
C: I've already shown you the bible text that says we are ONLY tempted....
...WHEN we are drawn toward what we ALREADY lust for.
...Any number of people and situtations can offer temptation.
...But we are ONLY tempted when we are drawn toward a thing by our OWN LUST.

And I’ve already said that of course temptation always appeals to a desire - however, it doesn't have to be a foul desire. There’s no foul desire in eating bread when you are hungry (1st temptation), in proving to others that you are who you say you are (2nd temptation), or in achieving that which you came to achieve (3d temptation). The problem is in doing that within God’s will. If you can’t do that, then your legitimate desire becomes a selfish desire, and the selfish desire is sin.

Quote:
R: Really? How then were angels tempted? How were Adam and Eve tempted? Of course temptation always appeals to a desire - however, it doesn't have to be a foul desire. Look at Christ's temptations - I don't see any foul desire in them.
C: Angels, God and Christ all had bodies of "flesh"....
...This is the meaning of the Pioneer & Sock Puppet phrase; PERSONALITY OF GOD.
...If you wouldn't call going to war against God treason and foul I shudder to think what you would call foul.

Satan appealed to legitimate desires when he tempted unfallen creatures – again, desires which would become selfish if satisfied in opposition to the will of God. He promised them a higher state of existence, and this is good, unless you have to go against God’s will to achieve it. So, the temptation first appealed to their sanctified ambition. When they realized this desire could only be met if they went against God’s will, and they didn’t renounce their desire, it became covetousness, which, of course, is a sin.

Quote:
R: Ceph, EGW said the foul desire is sin. How do you explain that?
C: Simple, Sock Puppet said it's only when we follow through with temptation that it becomes sin....
...There is NO OTHER WAY Jesus could have died to his sins.

Wrong. She didn’t say that. She said the selfish desire itself is sin – even before it grows into an act.

"The tenth commandment strikes at the very root of all sins, prohibiting the selfish desire, from which springs the sinful act. He who in obedience to God's law refrains from indulging even a sinful desire for that which belongs to another will not be guilty of an act of wrong toward his fellow creatures." {PP 309.5}

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #139559
02/07/12 05:24 PM
02/07/12 05:24 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
M: Sinful, fallen human nature can be reigned in and forced to live in harmony with the principles of God's law. It is done by uniting it with the divine nature. This is what Jesus did.
R: She contrasts Adam's posterity with Christ. She says Adam's posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience, but that Christ was the only begotten Son of God, and that not for one moment was there in Him a sinful propensity. IOW, He was different from the moment He was born. I don't think this is the same as what you said. Who reigned in His human nature and forced it to live in harmony with the principles of God's law while He was a baby?
M: All the quotes I posted made it abundantly clear people are born-again with a new nature. "It is the privilege of every believer in Christ to possess Christ's nature, a nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression."

Yes, and, as you said, Jesus enables us "to resist and subdue the tendencies of our fallen nature". But, again, who reigned in Christ's human nature and forced it to live in harmony with the principles of God's law while He was a baby?
And what does EGW mean with the following passage?

But here we must not become in our ideas common and earthly, and in our perverted ideas we must not think that the liability of Christ to yield to Satan's temptations degraded His humanity and He possessed the same sinful, corrupt propensities as man. {16MR 182.2}

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #139562
02/07/12 05:34 PM
02/07/12 05:34 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
M: Is it possible to "pervert" character without sinning? Please explain.

R: First comes the perversion of character, then the sinful act. Before you sin, you must first choose selfishness instead of love. Although it could be said that the moment you choose selfishness you are already sinning (i. e., the perversion of character is in itself a sin).

M: If it isn't possible to "pervert" character without sinning, then your earlier premise is incorrect.

My earlier premise was that someone who has a perfect character doesn't sin. Why is it incorrect?

Quote:
R: I refer to conscious acts/thoughts of sin, not to our sinful nature. Those who will be living during the time of trouble won't sin (this doesn't mean they will be without sin).

M: What is the difference between "won't sin" and "doesn't mean they will be without sin"? Also, what is the difference between "sinful flesh nature" and "sinful human nature"?

We will only be without sin when we have a new nature. Selfishness may be subdued, but it is within us, and "selfishness is sin."

Quote:
Is having defective traits of character the same thing as acting them out in sinful ways - the same thing as sinning?

Not the same thing; one is voluntary, the other isn't. But, as I said above, selfishness is sin.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Rosangela] #139574
02/07/12 11:22 PM
02/07/12 11:22 PM
cephalopod  Offline
Active Member 2014
Washington, USA

Not the same thing; one is voluntary, the other isn't. But, as I said above, selfishness IS sin.

That's what I've been telling you how many times?

Sock Puppet
Living the life OF the Saviour, overcoming every SELFISH desire, fulfilling bravely and cheerfully our duty to God and to those around us,—this makes us more than conquerors. This prepares us to stand before the great white throne free from spot or wrinkle, having washed our robes of character, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb

Signs of the Times , August 14 1893
1. Suffered in the flesh.—Christ took upon himself the infirmities and sins of the flesh (Heb. 2 :14; 4 :15 ; 2 Cor. 5: 21); but to every sin he died ; every lust he crucified ; every SELFISH desire he denied himself[/B]; and all for our sakes. We are to reckon ourselves dead unto sin (Rom. 6 :11), to put to death the passions and sins of the flesh (Rom. 8 :12, 13 ; Gal. 5 : 24), to deny ourselves (Matt. 16: 24), to renounce all nnd follow him (Luke 14 : 33). Thus, dying to sin, in Christ \ve cease from sin and live unto God. Rom. 6:11; 7:4. This death to sin is in a sense instantaneous when the soul by faith yields all to God and accepts of Christ's death for his death and Christ's life for his life. Rom. 6: 3-7.

Last edited by cephalopod; 02/07/12 11:42 PM.
Page 32 of 38 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 37 38

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!