HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,494 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Green Cochoa] #139836
02/17/12 10:58 PM
02/17/12 10:58 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Green, Tx for the reply and all of the good data. I will come back to it tomorrow.

First I would like to adress Rosangela's post and I was hoping you were going to comment on it.
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
For Jesus to be the antitype of the Passover lamb, it wasn't necessary for Him to die on the day the Passover lamb was sacrificed. He was also the antitype of the sacrifices offered at Pentecost, at the Day of Atonement, at Tabernacles - but He didn't have to die on the day they were killed.

If Jesus kept the law, could He have observed the Passover on the wrong day?

Do you agree with what she said?

Blessings
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Daryl] #139842
02/18/12 02:23 AM
02/18/12 02:23 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Elle,

My post was right after Rosangela's post in response to her post.

Originally Posted By: Daryl F
Here is what EGW wrote about this:
Quote:
The slaying of the passover lamb was a shadow of the death of Christ. Says Paul, “Christ our passover is sacrificed for us.” [1 Corinthians 5:7.] The sheaf of first-fruits, which at the time of the Passover was waved before the Lord, was typical of the resurrection of Christ. Paul says, in speaking of the resurrection of the Lord, and of all his people, “Christ the first-fruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.” [1 Corinthians 15:23.] Like the wave-sheaf, which was the first ripe grain gathered before the harvest, Christ is the first-fruits of that immortal harvest of redeemed ones that at the future resurrection shall be gathered into the garner of God. {GC88 399.1}

These types were fulfilled, not only as to the event, but as to the time. On the fourteenth day of the first Jewish month, the very day and month on which, for fifteen long centuries, the passover lamb had been slain, Christ, having eaten the passover with his disciples, instituted that feast which was to commemorate his own death as “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” That same night he was taken by wicked hands, to be crucified and slain. And as the antitype of the wave-sheaf, our Lord was raised from the dead on the third day, “the first-fruits of them that slept,” [1 Corinthians 15:20.] a sample of all the resurrected just, whose “vile body” shall be changed, and “fashioned like unto his glorious body.” [Philippians 3:21.] {GC88 399.2}

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Daryl] #139845
02/18/12 02:41 AM
02/18/12 02:41 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Elle & Daryl,

My previous post was focused on the year, not the day. As regards the day, I am convinced that Jesus was crucified on the very day of Passover.

The Bible starts each day with the "evening" followed by the "morning" for that same day. Jesus ate the passover supper with His disciples in the evening of the same day in which He was to die on the cross.

It is clear from the Biblical record that Jesus could not have died in the evening of the next day, because He was already dead with sufficient time before sundown for His followers to place Him in the tomb before Sabbath. At the start of Friday evening, the start of Sabbath, He was resting in Joseph of Arimathea's tomb.

Jesus spoke of His death to come on the Passover.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Ye know that after two days is [the feast of] the passover, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified. (Matthew 26:2)

Mrs. White also confirms this, if the Bible were not already sufficient.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
In the upper chamber of a dwelling at Jerusalem, Christ was sitting at table with His disciples. They had gathered to celebrate the Passover. The Saviour desired to keep this feast alone with the twelve. He knew that His hour was come; He Himself was the true paschal lamb, and on the day the Passover was eaten He was to be sacrificed. He was about to drink the cup of wrath; He must soon receive the final baptism of suffering. But a few quiet hours yet remained to Him, and these were to be spent for the benefit of His beloved disciples. {DA 642.1}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Green Cochoa] #139850
02/18/12 04:00 AM
02/18/12 04:00 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Now (now that I have time), let me address more of the original post that began this discussion. For the sake of remembrance, here it is.

Originally Posted By: Elle
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Perhaps there is already another thread relative to those dates, or we can start one,

Yes, I’m interested as I am into that study right now and it’s always nice to have someone to test findings with.

Originally Posted By: GC
…but the quick answer is pretty simple--most people are off on those dates on account of two simple failures. The first is to remember that "evening" in the Bible is already the next day. So, for example, the evening of the sixth day = Thursday night, NOT Friday night. The second error involves a misunderstanding of the date conversion. Their years would not have lined up exactly to our modern calendars which start on January 1. …
Going back to dates like AD 31, keep in mind that some people will say AD 30/31, but most, and not incorrectly so, will shorten that to AD 31.

You will find that the AD 30/31 date fits Jesus' crucifixion, and lines up the astronomical data well.

I'm a little confuse how to apply this with when we(SDAs) say that Jesus died in the spring of A.D 31. Do we really mean the 31AD according to our current calendar or according to some another calendar? Or do we mean 30AD??? Can you clarify what exactly is the date we(SDAs) say (with precise meaning according to our calendar) Jesus died?

Years that Nisan 14 falls on a Friday : Concerning on what day when Nissan 14 happened in 31AD, it was on a Tuesday March 27th . So 31AD is not possible to be the year of Jesus crucifixion. Nisan 14 fell upon a Friday on only two years:

• April 8 in 30 AD
• April 3 in 33 AD

Darkness over the earth according to Luke : Another astronomical sign that G-d gave is the suddenly imposed darkness upon the whole land described in Luke 23:44 “And it was, as it were, the sixth hour[noon], and darkness came over all the land till the ninth hour[3pm],

According to Kudlek and Mickler's book on solar and lunar eclipses before the Christian era, on April 3, 33 AD, Nissan 14 Friday, there was a star, El Nath that pass in front of the Sun from noon. Then another phenomena happened at 3:01pm a lunar eclipse started in Jerusalem and continued until after 5pm. Both these astronomical phenomena is a historical witness from G-d to mark the importance of that day. Not only to mark that day for His Son’s death but also this imposed darkness prevented the priest to kill the Passover lamb during light time as they were to kill the lamb anytime after noon and before sunset. This imposed darkness maid it unlawful to kill the Passover.

Then there’s many more historical and astronomical data to consider to conciliate with scriptures concerning the birth of Jesus and the start of his ministry that also points to a 33AD crucifixion. We could continue this in another topic.

Coming back to This Topic : I am interesting in Ceph view, since he already express that EGW(G-d’s pen or sock Puppet) interpretations over-rules any previous Biblical revelations because, according to Ceph, G-d's word are conditional. I was wondering, if it was the same for any historical and astronomical data that would clarify specific interpretation that may contradict EGW's(supposively G-d's direct word per word) words.

I was first exposed to some of these concepts as recently as last month. I had not before realized what the "mainstream media," so-to-speak, was sponsoring in terms of the chronology of events surrounding the life and death of Christ. There are now multiple websites and sources that all seem coordinated in teaching the same chronology, but perhaps the most prominent and artful among them is that of bethlehemstar.net. They have a website that is replete with references to both the Bible and astronomy. They find facts from any possible source to piece together a very persuasive argument for Jesus' birth and death years being later than we have traditionally taught.

Being one who likes to verify things before I either accept or reject them, I took a look. My cousin was urging the new find as being very interesting and compelling. So, at his behest, I began to read their materials.

My first impressions, upon looking at the site, were to notice that the color scheme and imagery on their pages seemed allusive to psychics and/or spiritism. But I shrugged that off to check the actual text of what they were saying.

As I began to read, at first it appeared that their facts were in good order and all agreed with the Biblical record. But then I stumbled upon some points that seemed amiss. I will present them for your own study.

1) They claim that the star of Bethlehem which led the wise men from the East to Jerusalem and then on to Bethlehem, according to all of the Biblical record, could have been none other than a "wandering star," aka a planet.

2) They claim the star "stopped" over Jerusalem and again over Bethlehem by slowing down over a matter of days or weeks until it appeared almost stationary.

It is hard for me to imagine that #2 could possibly be true, as it seems from the Biblical record that the star actually moved ahead of them and stopped, first at Jerusalem, then over Bethlehem. However, I think the stronger case is with #1.

Here are the texts to look at:

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever. (Jude 13)

He sent them to Bethlehem and said, "Go and make a careful search for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him." 9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen in the east went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. (Matthew 2:8)

Draw your own conclusions, of course. But from my perspective, there would have been no such herald of our Savior's birth as a "wandering star!" The rest of their explanation also seems to fall short of the Biblical narrative.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Daryl] #139900
02/19/12 02:50 PM
02/19/12 02:50 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Elle,My post was right after Rosangela's post in response to her post.
Here is what EGW wrote about this:
Quote:
The slaying of the passover lamb was a shadow of the death of Christ. Says Paul, “Christ our passover is sacrificed for us.” [1 Corinthians 5:7.] The sheaf of first-fruits, which at the time of the Passover was waved before the Lord, was typical of the resurrection of Christ. Paul says, in speaking of the resurrection of the Lord, and of all his people, “Christ the first-fruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.” [1 Corinthians 15:23.] Like the wave-sheaf, which was the first ripe grain gathered before the harvest, Christ is the first-fruits of that immortal harvest of redeemed ones that at the future resurrection shall be gathered into the garner of God. {GC88 399.1}

These types were fulfilled, not only as to the event, but as to the time. On the fourteenth day of the first Jewish month, the very day and month on which, for fifteen long centuries, the passover lamb had been slain, Christ, having eaten the passover with his disciples, instituted that feast which was to commemorate his own death as “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” That same night he was taken by wicked hands, to be crucified and slain. And as the antitype of the wave-sheaf, our Lord was raised from the dead on the third day, “the first-fruits of them that slept,” [1 Corinthians 15:20.] a sample of all the resurrected just, whose “vile body” shall be changed, and “fashioned like unto his glorious body.” [Philippians 3:21.] {GC88 399.2}

Daryl, with these quotes are you saying that Jesus died on Nisan 14? Which according to our beliefs and other EGW quotes, that it was on a Friday? But according to Nasa accurate calculation of the New Moon, on AD31, Nisan 14th fell on a Tuesday.

Here is Nasa’s website so you can verify the data yourself : http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/phase/phases0001.html

Here is a handy simple calendar generator for anytime in CE showing the moon phase. Their moon phase are in sync with NASA’s data. So you can use it to see the calendar for 31 CE.
http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=31&country=34

Below is the moon conjunction time and date for the years from 30AD to 33 AD :

Jesus Crucifixions Years Probability(Data in Julian Date)

................. Conjunction ...........
Year ........ Date -- Time(UT) -- Day ...... Crescent Visibility* .... Nisan 1 .... Nisan 14
30 ........... Mar 22 -- 17:46 -- Wed ................ Thu 23 ............ Fri 24 ...... Thu 6(Apl)
30 ........... Apr 21 -- 09:36 -- Fri .................. Sat 22 ............ Sun 23 ...... Sat 6(May)

31 ........... Mar 11 -- 22:19 -- Sun ................ Tue 13 ............ Wed 14 ...... Tue 27(Mar)
31 ........... Apr 10 -- 11:32 -- Tue ................ Wed 11 ............ Thu 12 ...... Wed 25(Apl)

32 ........... Mar 29 -- 20:00 P-- Sat ................ Sun 30 ............ Mon 31 ...... Sun 13(Apl)
32 ........... Apr 28 -- 07:00 P-- Mon ............... Tue 29 ............ Wed 30 ...... Tue 13(May)

33 ........... Mar 19 -- 10:38 T-- Thu ............. Fri 20 ........... Sat 21 ...... Fri 3(Apl)
33 ........... Apr 17 -- 19:09 -- Fri ................... Sat 18 ............ Sun 19 ...... Sat 2(May)

*Crescent Visibility probability data is figured out with Roy Hoffman’s software (highly accurate) which is used by those who publish Feast calendars like the Karaite Jews http://www.karaite-korner.org/holiday_dates.shtml and Scott Arrington http://3rdangelfarmandpublishing.com/. They use Roy Hoffman software to plan moon sithing and to know the probability of sighting the first cresent.

Roy Hoffman’s software can be downloaded for free. http://sites.google.com/site/moonsoc/ I have done that just yesterday and I’m starting to get familiar with it.

My previous post was focused on the year, not the day. As regards the day, I am convinced that Jesus was crucified on the very day of Passover.

It is clear from the Biblical record that Jesus could not have died in the evening of the next day, because He was already dead with sufficient time before sundown for His followers to place Him in the tomb before Sabbath. At the start of Friday evening, the start of Sabbath, He was resting in Joseph of Arimathea's tomb.

Daryl and GC, as you can see, according to the astrological data, it was impossible that Jesus died on 31 CE for Nisan 14 fell on a Tuesday March 27th or on Wednesday 25th of April that year.

Nissan 14th only fell on a Friday Apl 3, 33 CE.

Blessings
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Elle] #139902
02/19/12 03:45 PM
02/19/12 03:45 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Elle,

I'm afraid you have fallen victim to some misinformation. I would encourage you to verify the facts of your table above by at least two other websites, to see if they give the same data. When I have looked for calendars online for those years, I have found a different set of facts. There is a lot of misinformation out there. I've even found a calendar that purports to say that the Jewish "Sabbath," the one called a "high day" in the Bible, the regular seventh-day Sabbath, fell on a "Thursday" for our calendars, of April 26. That kind of "data" is simply bogus. People are just making stuff up as they wish for whatever purposes they might have.

Take a look at the data at the following site, for example:

http://www.judaismvschristianity.com/Passover_dates.htm

Almost any source of information on it that I have found shows that Passover fell on a Friday for the year 30 AD. That is where I would look for the answer, with the discrepancy between 30 & 31 AD being that of a calendar reckoning.

By the way, I know something of how difficult it is to create an accurate date calculator software. There have been changes to the calendar at various times for different countries which affect the ability to predict ancient dates. None of the changes involved a restructuring of the week, but taking 10 days out of the calendar in 1582 (or whenever it was per the country at time of acceptance of the new calendar) really messes up the sequence for earlier dates. Remember Y2K? Computer programmers don't always do the job correctly--even for such simple matters as dates, not to mention that their job is made more difficult by special events such as extra leap days certain centuries and not others.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Last edited by Green Cochoa; 02/19/12 03:50 PM. Reason: Added a clarification

Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Green Cochoa] #139903
02/19/12 03:57 PM
02/19/12 03:57 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Elle,I'm afraid you have fallen victim to some misinformation. I would encourage you to verify the facts of your table above by at least two other websites, to see if they give the same data.

GC, my information source is NASA. Historical moon conjunction or other moon phases can be accurately calculated today. NASA's data is accurate.

Blessings
Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Elle] #139904
02/19/12 04:04 PM
02/19/12 04:04 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Elle,

I was not talking about the moon phases. I don't know if that part is accurate or not. I was talking about the calendar data. None of the four Gospels mentions the moon with respect to the passover or crucifixion. But days of the week with respect to passover are mentioned.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Green Cochoa] #139905
02/19/12 04:26 PM
02/19/12 04:26 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The answers I'm coming to are that the Passover was on the day after the full moon. That should open up some dates that would have been missed if one thought it should be the day of the full moon itself. I'm also finding that Passover may have been on Nisan/Abib 15, not 14. Probably the 14th of Abib/Nisan was the full moon that people often are looking for, but they need to remember that it was the next day that was the Passover.

NASA certainly would have little interest in accurately finding a Passover. They may be able to help us with moon phases, if that will help us. But it is still left with us to interpret what relationship, if any, may have existed between the phase of the moon and the Passover in a given year.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Date of the Crucifixion & Related Issues [Re: Green Cochoa] #139906
02/19/12 04:29 PM
02/19/12 04:29 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
I was not talking about the moon phases. I don't know if that part is accurate or not. I was talking about the calendar data. None of the four Gospels mentions the moon with respect to the passover or crucifixion. But days of the week with respect to passover are mentioned.

GC, Nisan 1 fall on the day of the sighting of the first crescent of the new moon. NASA's data of the moon conjunction date and time tells us when it occurs in those years. With that info, we then know what day Nisan 1st and Nisan 14th falls on.

Blessings
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!