HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 28 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 27 28
Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14040
06/17/05 04:03 AM
06/17/05 04:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
I would think that the obvious understanding of this debt is a life of sin, and much of it. Now it seems that all that this sinner did was simply ask for patience, but the king did more; he frankly forgave him. So seems simple enough: looks like all one has to do, is go fall at the king’s mercy and ask forgiveness; How about that?
That's what the publican did: "God, be merciful to me a sinner."

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14041
06/17/05 12:59 PM
06/17/05 12:59 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Seems like the publicans and sinners are getting into the kingdom before...while the religious ones remain outside.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14042
06/17/05 01:05 PM
06/17/05 01:05 PM
J
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Since I am hoping that we discuss this illustration of the kingdom of heaven a little, and these pages flip things into forgetfulness, I am reposting.
quote:
Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.

And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.

But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.

So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?

And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses. Mat 18:23-35

In this parable, all that the servant did was implore for mercy, and the king forgave him all that debt, because he had desired him to do so. That is all; no lawyers; no defense attorney; no accuser; no legal wrangle; no claims of someone else paid it for him; no beliefs; just plain reality of debt and dire need.

I would think that the obvious understanding of this debt is a life of sin, and much of it. Now it seems that all that this sinner did was simply ask for patience, but the king did more; he frankly forgave him. So seems simple enough: looks like all one has to do, is go fall at the king’s mercy and ask forgiveness; How about that?

So why did he not remain forgiven? According to the parable it does not say that he got into more debt (sin). No, he did not seem to get into debt again, did he? Seems like he became a “righteous” man. It seems that now he became very much for “justice”, insomuch so that when he met one who owed him (sinned against him) just a little, he took the full course of the law to him.

Now why should the king be upset with that?
What is the meaning of: “The kingdom of heaven is likened unto” this parable?

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14043
06/17/05 02:56 PM
06/17/05 02:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The king was upset with the servant, whose debt he canceled, because he did not demonstrate the same kindness and generosity to a fellow servant. From this I gather that God expects us to be holy as He is holy, to forgive as He forgives. If we fail or refuse to be Christlike in this lifetime, then in the end we shall incur the wrath of the King. “And there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

The reward of the unprofitable servant is punishment and eternal death – not eternal life. Once we are forgiven and saved we must maintain our salvation status through faith that works by love and purifies the soul. "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure." Phil 2:13. "If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it." Isa 1:19, 20.

Matthew
5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Matthew
6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Luke
6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Matthew
25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me.
25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Matthew
22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast [him] into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
22:14 For many are called, but few [are] chosen.

Matthew
24:48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
24:49 And shall begin to smite [his] fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
24:50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for [him], and in an hour that he is not aware of,
24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint [him] his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew
25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14044
06/17/05 05:04 PM
06/17/05 05:04 PM
J
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
The king was upset with the servant, whose debt he canceled, because he did not demonstrate the same kindness and generosity to a fellow servant.
Yes that seems obvious, and we should also discuss why this is so important to the king; even more than the whole debt.

Now what I also question is, why the king would not be happy if the servant demonstrated the king’s “supposed righteousness/justice”? After all, does he not want us to be like him?
Why should the king like the one and not the other, when it is all of him?

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14045
06/17/05 05:08 PM
06/17/05 05:08 PM
J
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Could this request be the invitation to cease from our righteousness which is wrath, to his righteousness which is of grace?

Could it be that the servant suffered his own wrath because he did not partake of the kings kindness and generosity?

With what judgment you judge, you will be judged.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14046
06/17/05 05:37 PM
06/17/05 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Now what I also question is, why the king would not be happy if the servant demonstrated the king’s “supposed righteousness/justice”? After all, does he not want us to be like him?
The King would be happy. But if we refuse to be like Him then we shall be punished and destroyed in the lake of fire. Perfection is not a "request" - it's a command.

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14047
06/17/05 06:18 PM
06/17/05 06:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
I would think that the obvious understanding of this debt is a life of sin, and much of it. Now it seems that all that this sinner did was simply ask for patience, but the king did more; he frankly forgave him.
This says something wonderful about God. He doesn't require that conditions be formally met, but merely looks at the desire of the heart. If we don't know enough to ask for forgiveness, God doesn't care. He's see what the heart wants, and meets that desire, even if the head doesn't know what it should be asking for.

Is the parable teaching us that we should forgive conditionally? That is, we should forgive someone else's debt, but if we see them not forgiving someone else, then we should rescind our forgiveness. If this is what God does, and we should be like Him, then is this what we should do as well?

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14048
06/17/05 07:07 PM
06/17/05 07:07 PM
J
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Mike: The King would be happy. But if we refuse to be like Him then we shall be punished and destroyed in the lake of fire. Perfection is not a "request" - it's a command.
I need to rephrase my question.
Why was the king not happy that the servant demonstrated the king’s “supposed righteousness/justice/wrath”?

If the king wants us to be like him, why was he upset when he was like him in the other (wrath) aspect? Or, is that how the king is in that other aspect? Is it perhaps that the king is not like that, and that it was the wrath of the servant applied?

Is the perfection of the king in grace?

Re: Salvation of the wicked !!! #14049
06/17/05 07:09 PM
06/17/05 07:09 PM
J
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Is it that the king does not like/appreciate a justice that is outside the fruits of his spirit?

Page 16 of 28 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 27 28

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!