HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: Harold Fair] #142059
05/06/12 03:18 PM
05/06/12 03:18 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Harold Fair
I had a doctor tell me that the reason vegetarians are short on B12 is because the first thing they do in the moring is rinse out their mouth with a mouth wash, destroying the bacteria that forms their B12. I drink a glass of water first, then mouth wash. No B12 shortage.

Was your doctor a vegan?

I never use mouthwash. Ever. Tried it a couple of times as a student way back when. Never really liked it. It always left an aftertaste that I found unpleasant. I haven't touched the stuff in so long I can't remember when it last was. So mouthwash is no culprit in my case.

In fact, I only rarely brush my teeth. I probably brush about once every other month on average. My diet includes enough raw foods that I find brushing unnecessary. I've also hoped to provide a more natural pathway for B12 absorption. I think it helps.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: Green Cochoa] #142063
05/06/12 04:15 PM
05/06/12 04:15 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Green - - By definition, PA is a malabsorption problem with B12 caused by the lack of intrinsic factor. Not all B12 deficiencies are called Pernicious Anemia. Pernicious Anemia can also be inherited because of a genetic defect. Understand the whether it is a absolute lack of B12, or malabsorption of B12, the effect is the same. Megaloblastic anemia, nerve problems, depression, weakness, DNA issues, etc... But the treatment may be different.

Eggs - - An egg have about 0.5 micrograms +/- of B12. Daily requirements of B12 have been listed as between 1.5 and 5 micrograms/day. So, if 1.5 micrograms/day is the requirement, your 3 eggs will work IF, IF, you absorb all that you eat, which required Intrinsic Factor. And if you have the medical definition of Pernicious Anemia, you do not have Intrinsic Factor, thus my surprise at eggs along being effective. This is why the treatment of B12 deficiency, supplement tablets are often 1000 micrograms taken sublingually to aid in absorption, or via B12 injections. But what ever the cause, I'm glad you have found a solution.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: APL] #142077
05/06/12 11:01 PM
05/06/12 11:01 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Interesting, APL. I'm learning more about the terminology, I guess. It appears that pernicious anemia goes by other names, one of them being "megaloblastic anemia," and this is a larger category which also more accurately describes the condition I had. I contracted the disease about two decades back, however, and this term may not have been as commonly used at that time. The laboratory blood tests which were performed at that time showed that I had an elevated MCV level, a condition where the red blood cells are oversized due to their lessened ability to carry oxygen. This is what causes the tingling and numbness in the extremities, because the larger cells do not easily pass through the tiny capillaries in the joints.

So intrinsic factor may not have been my problem. The problem was lack of adequate B12 in the diet. Nevertheless, it seems there must still have been some issues with the intrinsic factor if I could so soon develop a B12 deficiency. It's a complex problem with no simple answers.

The simplest answer is that of Ellen White. She advocates the use of milk and eggs until such a time as the Lord clearly tells us to give them up. Giving them up too soon, for whatever reason, may cause us to lose our health and result in death. In other words, it is not a mark of sainthood to be a vegan. It is an extreme measure only to be taken when the circumstances demand it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: Green Cochoa] #142086
05/07/12 01:06 AM
05/07/12 01:06 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
"Megaloblastic Anemia" means that the cell size is large - "Mega", so yes, your MCV (Mean Corpuscular (Cell) Volume) will be large. B12 deficiency is one cause of Megaloblastic Anemia. And repeating just to be clear, B12 deficiency can be caused by a lack of B12 in the diet, or an inability to absorb B12. The inability to absorb B12 is called Pernicious Anemia. Both the lack of B12 in the diet, and/or the inability to absorb B12 will cause a megaloblastic anemia, and neurologic issues, etc...

Note - the bias on diet can work both ways. MANY people eat a totally plant based diet and do very well. As a fraction of the total population, this number is small. And again, EGW is clear, all animal products will eventually need to be given up, and that time is very soon. That is my opinion, and I never knock people for eating what they want. I have seen a number of people recover health by going plant based.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: APL] #142090
05/07/12 02:05 AM
05/07/12 02:05 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Are you a health professional, APL?

So, if what you are saying here is true, it appears that "megaloblastic anemia" might be unrelated to a B12 deficiency. If it were caused by B12 deficiency, it appears there is no correct name for the problem unless it was also caused by lack of intrinsic factor. In other words, it appears that my specific condition, which was related to B12 deficiency, could not have been properly named by "pernicious anemia" if it had nothing to do with lack of intrinsic factor, and could not have been specific enough with "megaloblastic anemia" to indicate the cause. Furthermore, I don't think any tests were run, if indeed they were possible to do, to check my intrinsic factor levels. So the nearest diagnosis the doctor could have given would have been "pernicious anemia." Does that sound right?

The fact that the eggs cured it is what is most important. Before the school year finished, I was able to catch up enough on my studies to complete my classes. I won't ever ignore the slight tingle that I might get in my hands for no apparent reason again, because this is a classic symptom of B12 deficiency. When I begin to feel such a thing, which happens very rarely, I know I need to eat more eggs.

Anyone wishing to experiment with a strict vegan diet should minimally know and understand the symptoms of B12 deficiency.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: Green Cochoa] #142093
05/07/12 04:12 AM
05/07/12 04:12 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
There are a number of causes of "megaloblastic anemia". B12 deficiency is one. If you are not getting enough B12 in your diet, this is called B12 deficiency. Simple enough. If you are getting B12 in your diet, and you still have insufficient B12, then one needs to consider intrinsic factor deficiency, which is called Pernicious Anemia. Folate deficiency can also cause megaloblastic anemia. Other things to consider include alcohol abuse. Some drugs and other systemic diseases can contribute to megaloblastic anemia, which usually affect B12 or folate absorption. Some surgical procedures and leave a person at risk for B12 deficiency.

Lots of eggs in the diet are not without their own issue. Have you tried a B12 supplement lately? Note that B12 supplements are often taken sublingually. This is so that absorption takes place there if intrinsic factor is missing. There are several forms of B12 you can take as a supplement. Perhaps the form you tried, perhaps cyanocobalamin, did not convert correctly. Using one of the other (more expensive) forms may work. Also note, many products are fortified with B12. And also note - just because a person is a dairy/meat eater, does not mean they can not be come B12 deficient!

Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: APL] #142096
05/07/12 04:31 AM
05/07/12 04:31 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Yes, cyanocobalamin was the form I was taking via IM shots, if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since then. If I were to attempt such a means of supplementation again, I would try hydroxocobalamin or some other form. But eating eggs has kept me out of trouble, and it seems a lot more natural to eat an egg than to get a shot. Those sublingual meds annoy me, for some reason. They taste weird and unnatural, and cause excess salivation which is uncomfortable.

No one knows all the reasons why Mrs. White recommends eating eggs, but she specifically mentions as one of the reasons their ability to counteract poisons. That is not a significant property of B12, so far as we know. Sulfur is far more likely the source of help in that department, as I have posted earlier. I also noted earlier that meat eaters can still be B12 deficient.

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
It is worth noting that vitamin B12 deficiency is a common thing, and even meat eaters can be deficient. Consumption of meat, dairy or eggs does not guarantee adequate uptake of B12. ...

Again, there are reasons for Mrs. White's statements in favor of milk and eggs that go beyond vitamin B12. We may not know all of the reasons, and science may not yet be able to fully prove the prophet's words.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: Green Cochoa] #142101
05/07/12 01:13 PM
05/07/12 01:13 PM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
The vegan diet is not the most healthful. Those who study Mrs. White's writings carefully already know this. But why?

Something is either lacking in it, or something is out of balance with a vegan diet. This topic is created to explore the reasons that we are not counseled to return to an Edenic diet as soon as possible.

Mrs. White does say that at some future point we may need to have a vegan diet. There is controversy about when that point may be. Yet Mrs. White tells us not to have controversy about it, but that when the time comes, God will reveal it. She tells us that we should NOT go to this extreme diet until that time.

Ellen White clearly tells us that a vegan diet will cause premature death. The evidence is mounting that this is indeed the case. Numerous cases of vegans dying of cancer in their thirties, forties and fifties are coming up. They seem to have no resistance to it. There may be other premature deaths besides those from cancer as well.

It baffles the mind that vegans would have a mortality equal to that of meat eaters--so why is it this way?

I'll post some of Mrs. White's statements regarding the perils of veganism shortly. The term "vegan" did not exist in her day, of course, but she speaks of the milk and eggs, meat, flesh foods (meat), animals foods (meat), etc.
Our close and beloved friend who has been vegan all her life along with her family, was just given a diagnosis of cancer a little while ago. She immeadiately went to a center in Colorado for natural healing and just came back. I am at work so more later...

Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: Green Cochoa] #142105
05/07/12 03:03 PM
05/07/12 03:03 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
The vegan diet is not the most healthful. Those who study Mrs. White's writings carefully already know this. But why?
Yes, but why?
But why would they "know this"?
I study Mrs. White's writings carefully, but I do not know this.

Quote:

Something is either lacking in it, or something is out of balance with a vegan diet. This topic is created to explore the reasons that we are not counseled to return to an Edenic diet as soon as possible.
Since you seem to be emphasizing "soon" and "time", or more of "not soon", would it be fair to give the dates of your quotes?

How will God reveal it? What are you looking for?

Quote:
Ellen White clearly tells us that a vegan diet will cause premature death. The evidence is mounting that this is indeed the case.
"Mounting"? Really? Do you work in marketing?

Quote:
Numerous cases of vegans dying of cancer in their thirties, forties and fifties are coming up.
"Numerous". Another one.

Whether you work in marketing is not relevant. What is relevant is whether the reader has had experience in spotting such words and know there should be questions asked.

You know:
Our brand has "more".
New improved with 10% more.
Low sodium/fat/calories/etc.
Natural.
Choosy moms choose us.
Made with real wheat/oats/etc.

Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: Rick H] #142106
05/07/12 03:19 PM
05/07/12 03:19 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
It should be noted, that I know of no 120 year old vegans, lacto/ovo vegetarians, lacto/pesco vegetarians, or carnivores. We all die. We live in the world. Toxins are everywhere. EGW puts it this way:
Quote:
In drooping flower and falling leaf Adam and his companion witnessed the first signs of decay. Vividly was brought to their minds the stern fact that every living thing must die. Even the air, upon which their life depended, bore the seeds of death. {Ed 26.3}
We can not escape death on this earth. The only thing we can look forward to is the earth made new and the atonement which Christ has provided.

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!